Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread  (Read 211617 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread
« Reply #2350 on: February 23, 2024, 01:39:56 AM »
Wazzu knocks off Zona in Tuscon to take 1st place in the PAC 12. Door to the one seed stays cracked open

Probably still need a bit of help even if we win out incl BET.

Not to beat the horse, but it irks me so much that the computer like AZ so much more than us - those losses at Stanford and OrStae are so bad. A Q3 loss should really matter in a head to head comparison for a 1 seed.

That said, AZ isn't the only team we need to pass and we probably need each of those teams (UNC/Tenn/KU?) to lose another as well - but they all have some pretty tough road. If KU or Tenn win out their regular season (a tough task!) I think either on the 1 line going into championship week. KU finishing with wins @UH and  UNC doesn't deserve to be there, but if they win out (likely beating Dooook two more time in the process) I can see the committee putting them ahead of a MU team that runs the table.

But, overall, if we take care of business (also a tall order) we probably would be sitting with a fighting chance on selection Sunday.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2351 on: February 23, 2024, 04:21:44 AM »
Wazzu knocks off Zona in Tuscon to take 1st place in the PAC 12. Door to the one seed stays cracked open

Kyle Smith can really coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2352 on: February 23, 2024, 06:18:27 AM »
I think if they redid the seeding now Arizona would be off the 1 line. You can't give a team a 1 seed who doesn't win their conference and with the PAC 12 being as bad as it is. I know its a long shot but I still believe Marquette controls there destiny on the 1 line and that's not even talking Big East Tournament. If they just win out the regular season they will be a 1 seed.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2353 on: February 23, 2024, 07:15:13 AM »
The loss to St. Thomas probably keeps Marquette off the 1-seed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2354 on: February 23, 2024, 07:15:24 AM »
Jose Perez is at Arizona State…same guy that had been with MU? Dude gets around.

Wow, it is him. And he’s started all but 3 games, averaging 13 a game, 41% from 3. Not bad.

Weird his worst college season by far came under Wojo 🙄

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2355 on: February 23, 2024, 07:16:17 AM »
Wow, it is him. And he’s started all but 3 games, averaging 13 a game, 41% from 3. Not bad.

I mean, he’s 40 now.  Those YMCA moves confound younger players
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2356 on: February 23, 2024, 07:23:10 AM »

Yeah, intending to red shirt and then getting pressed into action as the first big off the bench (6'5).   Plus, so many other things.   Hard to believe he didn't stick around.      Good for him.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2024/02/22/asu-basketball-journeyman-jose-perez/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 07:31:17 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #2357 on: February 23, 2024, 07:37:46 AM »

He intended to redshirt, got Covid and was pressed into playing due to injuries elsewhere. But sure...it was on Wojo.

Anyway, a complete non-fit for Shaka.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2358 on: February 23, 2024, 07:59:00 AM »

He’s also in like year 6 and putting these numbers up on a team that blows

Good for him.

But Jose Perez 3 years later is not high on the list of things to hold against Wojo
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2359 on: February 23, 2024, 08:23:28 AM »
My still such sensitive feelings about Wojo. No, it sure doesn’t make the top 50 reasons of what incompetence he showed here as coach.  Nor was that even remotely my point of course. 

This is a decent player who could have contributed if Wojo wouldn’t have been such an idiot.  And his parting remarks from MU pointed out only his teammates as a positive from the season.  Glaring omission about his coach.

But please take an off hand comment and completely overreact.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2360 on: February 23, 2024, 08:37:14 AM »

Not to beat the horse, but it irks me so much that the computer like AZ so much more than us - those losses at Stanford and OrStae are so bad. A Q3 loss should really matter in a head to head comparison for a 1 seed.

That said, AZ isn't the only team we need to pass and we probably need each of those teams (UNC/Tenn/KU?) to lose another as well - but they all have some pretty tough road. If KU or Tenn win out their regular season (a tough task!) I think either on the 1 line going into championship week. KU finishing with wins @UH and  UNC doesn't deserve to be there, but if they win out (likely beating Dooook two more time in the process) I can see the committee putting them ahead of a MU team that runs the table.

But, overall, if we take care of business (also a tall order) we probably would be sitting with a fighting chance on selection Sunday.

Arizona isn't they're because "the computers love them". They are there because they've amassed 7 Q1 wins,  4th most this season.  Including two wins away from home at projected 3 seeds. Those are two of the best wins any team has this season. They have an ugly Q3 loss which is why they are vulnerable and the other 1 seeds aren't.  North Carolina and Kansas, two of the 2 seeds also have Q3 losses.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #2361 on: February 23, 2024, 08:42:35 AM »
Perez was not ready to play from a physical standpoint at all that year. He was completely out of shape. Credit to him for working hard and correcting that. No issue with Shaka parting ways with him though as we replaced him with better fits.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2362 on: February 23, 2024, 08:53:13 AM »
Perez was not ready to play from a physical standpoint at all that year. He was completely out of shape. Credit to him for working hard and correcting that. No issue with Shaka parting ways with him though as we replaced him with better fits.

Yes, clearly not a fit for Shaka. 

I can buy the playing shape argument to an extent. But you’d have to be inside the program to have a truly solid read about his conditioning that year. 

But for a guy whose coaching seat was clearly hot that whole season, you’d think approach would have been all hands on deck to who can potentially contribute. 

• All American
« Reply #2363 on: February 23, 2024, 09:00:22 AM »
My still such sensitive feelings about Wojo. No, it sure doesn’t make the top 50 reasons of what incompetence he showed here as coach.  Nor was that even remotely my point of course. 

This is a decent player who could have contributed if Wojo wouldn’t have been such an idiot.  And his parting remarks from MU pointed out only his teammates as a positive from the season.  Glaring omission about his coach.

You are calling Wojo an "idiot" for not getting more out of Jose Perez, and then complain that OTHERS are overreacting?  ::)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: February 23, 2024, 09:06:12 AM »

Ummm I think we have the overreaction
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2365 on: February 23, 2024, 09:14:20 AM »

I have absolutely zero doubt that if we add wins @Creighton, home against UCONN, @Xavier, neutral against Creighton, neutral against UCONN, and neutral against one of Nova/Xavier/Butler/St. John's we will be a 1 seed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:17:32 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2366 on: February 23, 2024, 09:15:30 AM »
I have absolutely zero doubt that if we add wins @Creight, home against UCONN, @Xavier, neutral against Creighton, neutral against UCONN, and neutral against one of Nova/Xavier/Butler/St. John's we will be a 1 seed.

Counting out DePaul & Georgetown already?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2367 on: February 23, 2024, 09:17:35 AM »
I have absolutely zero doubt that if we add wins @Creight, home against UCONN, @Xavier, neutral against Creighton, neutral against UCONN, and neutral against one of Nova/Xavier/Butler/St. John's we will be a 1 seed.

Absolutely agree.  At that point, we'd have won 17 of our last 18.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2368 on: February 23, 2024, 09:17:49 AM »
Counting out DePaul & Georgetown already?

Lol, yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #2369 on: February 23, 2024, 10:01:57 AM »
Sorry, but I don't get the fascination with being a 1 seed for the tournament - which is highly, highly unlikely to happen. Yes, being a 1 seed is better than being a 16. But, any seeding from 1 - 4 is a strong seed and gives you a manageable first round game. After the first round, any team you play is a good team or a team on a hot streak and you have to be on your A game.  Beating Creighton in Omaha is a lot harder than beating them in Milwaukee, and Creighton has started to play really well lately. Beating UConn anywhere is a tall order.  If MU is a 2 seed, it's ok. If they are a 3 seed, that's not the end of the world either. I am really more concerned about which region they are in and who else is there. I would rather see the team placed in a region headed by Purdue than a region with Houston.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2370 on: February 23, 2024, 10:05:31 AM »
I have absolutely zero doubt that if we add wins @Creighton, home against UCONN, @Xavier, neutral against Creighton, neutral against UCONN, and neutral against one of Nova/Xavier/Butler/St. John's we will be a 1 seed.

It would be hard to imagine us not getting a one seed in that admittedly unlikely scenario.  Only way I think we wouldn't is if Kansas also won out and Houstons only remaining losses were to Kansas
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2371 on: February 23, 2024, 10:07:51 AM »

The opportunity is there for sure.  The only thing I will say is that Houston is going to be difficult to pass if they win the B12 outright. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2372 on: February 23, 2024, 10:10:10 AM »
Sorry, but I don't get the fascination with being a 1 seed for the tournament - which is highly, highly unlikely to happen. Yes, being a 1 seed is better than being a 16. But, any seeding from 1 - 4 is a strong seed and gives you a manageable first round game. After the first round, any team you play is a good team or a team on a hot streak and you have to be on your A game.  Beating Creighton in Omaha is a lot harder than beating them in Milwaukee, and Creighton has started to play really well lately. Beating UConn anywhere is a tall order.  If MU is a 2 seed, it's ok. If they are a 3 seed, that's not the end of the world either. I am really more concerned about which region they are in and who else is there. I would rather see the team placed in a region headed by Purdue than a region with Houston.

Were fascinated because it's never happened before.  We're fascinated because it would mean a dominant run of Marquette basketball to finish the season. And yes 1 seeds have the easier path,  that's undebatable.

It's not just OK if we earn a 2 seed, it's great. Tied for highest seed in program history. But that doesnt mean we can't speculate about what it would take to earn a 1 seed. I'm sure the team wants a 1 seed. Not as much as a deep run in March but the great thing is you can have both
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2373 on: February 23, 2024, 10:11:04 AM »
The opportunity is there for sure.  The only thing I will say is that Houston is going to be difficult to pass if they win the B12 outright.

Arizona would be passed,  not Houston
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2374 on: February 23, 2024, 10:16:19 AM »
Arizona would be passed,  not Houston

Zona will not be a #1.  I'm more concerned with Tennessee.

feedback