Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread  (Read 212116 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball Thread
« Reply #1800 on: February 04, 2024, 02:52:10 PM »
We won’t be favored at Creighton. So if we win 2 against UCONN and avoid any other upset we’d still need UCONN to lose another game to win the BE.

We already got Purdue away from their friendly confines. They just beat a very good Wisconsin team on the road. They’re a great team. Home, away, or neutral.

Good point about Creighton, though we'll see what happens between now and our game there.

Purdue is a very good team. Their best player can't make FTs, they are loose with the basketball late in close games, etc. They lost to a 16-seed last year, and certainly could lose in the first weekend again ... or they could go to the Final Four. In other words, they're like many other very good teams.

I'd say they are no better than we are ... but if you would counter by saying they are 1 possession better than we are, I wouldn't argue with you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: February 04, 2024, 02:59:36 PM »
Good point about Creighton, though we'll see what happens between now and our game there.

Purdue is a very good team. Their best player can't make FTs, they are loose with the basketball late in close games, etc. They lost to a 16-seed last year, and certainly could lose in the first weekend again ... or they could go to the Final Four. In other words, they're like many other very good teams.

I'd say they are no better than we are ... but if you would counter by saying they are 1 possession better than we are, I wouldn't argue with you.

Pretty much every metric says they are better than us. I’d love to see them because it’d be an Elite 8 or Final 4 game. But I’d rather see a number of other teams that far into the Tourney than Purdue.

Every year we hear there are no great teams. Then every year someone winds up looking pretty great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: February 04, 2024, 03:02:00 PM »
UConn is pretty darn good.   That doesn't mean they won't lose another conference road game or two.   But if they are healthy at tourney time, I think they repeat.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: February 04, 2024, 03:11:29 PM »
Pretty much every metric says they are better than us. I’d love to see them because it’d be an Elite 8 or Final 4 game. But I’d rather see a number of other teams that far into the Tourney than Purdue.

Every year we hear there are no great teams. Then every year someone winds up looking pretty great.

Every year? How about last year, when a 4-seed wound up looking pretty great ... because none of the 12 top seeds was a great team.

It's gonna be a fun March to see what's what, wades!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: February 04, 2024, 03:13:21 PM »
Every year? How about last year, when a 4-seed wound up looking pretty great ... because none of the 12 top seeds was a great team.

It's gonna be a fun March to see what's what, wades!

UConn was a great team that had a bad month. They were very clearly the best team in the country.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: February 04, 2024, 03:14:48 PM »
How the hell is Wisconsin rated #6 and beat us this year? Supposedly we have a better coach, better recruiting, and better talent. Yet we are sucking their hind tit.
Tired of Wisconsin Vadgers.

Is this the first use of the term “hind tit” in Scoop history?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: February 04, 2024, 03:15:19 PM »
Willie gotta willie.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: February 04, 2024, 03:17:06 PM »
UConn was a great team that had a bad month. They were very clearly the best team in the country.

Did you pick them to win it all before the NCAAT started? I know a few folks did, so if you did too, wades, good on you. Seriously.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: February 04, 2024, 03:44:45 PM »
I haven’t heard any within the Badger fandom come up to me and say..hey, Marquette guy, your team sucks my hind tit…but it wouldn’t be beneath them to say it, imo.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: February 04, 2024, 03:57:25 PM »
Very instructive game.

++ Scoopers who lamented a few weeks back that Madison had a clear path to the Big 27 title ... well yeah ... if they could beat Purdue twice and avoid road upsets to bad teams. I mean, we have a clear path to the BEast title as long as we beat UConn twice and avoid any more upsets.

They did have a clear path and I was lamenting it. They were undefeated in the conference (5-0) and Purdue had two losses (3-2). They only needed to avoid having more road losses than Purdue, and/or split with Purdue. They did not have to sweep Purdue. Purdue also is a prime candidate to lose another game or two as they probably should have against Northwestern last week.

By losing 3 of their first 5 conference games MU has not been in position to control its own destiny without sweeping UConn. They’ve had to win 6 in a row just to claw their way into second place, but still 2 games behind UConn.

The Badgers blew a golden opportunity to win the conference by losing to a pretty mediocre Penn State team and blowing the huge lead at Nebraska.

Because their other remaining road games are against the dregs of the Big 10 there is still a good chance that they can gain at least a share of the conference title in their final game at Purdue.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 04:07:47 PM by wisblue »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: February 04, 2024, 04:24:49 PM »
They did have a clear path and I was lamenting it. They were undefeated in the conference (5-0) and Purdue had two losses (3-2). They only needed to avoid having more road losses than Purdue, and/or split with Purdue. They did not have to sweep Purdue. Purdue also is a prime candidate to lose another game or two as they probably should have against Northwestern last week.

By losing 3 of their first 5 conference games MU has not been in position to control its own destiny without sweeping UConn. They’ve had to win 6 in a row just to claw their way into second place, but still 2 games behind UConn.

The Badgers blew a golden opportunity to win the conference by losing to a pretty mediocre Penn State team and blowing the huge lead at Nebraska.

Because their other remaining road games are against the dregs of the Big 10 there is still a good chance that they can gain at least a share of the conference title in their final game at Purdue.

I guess it depends on how one defines "clear path." It was no more realistic to expect Madison to avoid upsets than it is for any other team. After only 5 games, I'd argue that nobody has a "clear path." You apparently feel differently, and that's your right.

Madison almost surely will lose more games this season before the conference tournament, perhaps even to a dreg. Purdue very well might, too. And Marquette probably will as well, and we've already blown a golden opportunity by losing at home to Butler and on the road to Seton Hall, both teams better than Penn State IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 04:26:49 PM by MU82 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: February 04, 2024, 04:26:01 PM »

You don't have a "clear path" 5 games into the season Blue.  A lot can happen and still happen.   You can also make an argument that we blew two games.  The final score is the final score.  The only thing that is apparent is the top of the BEast and B18 appear to have three teams that are better than the pack, and the bottom 2 of both conferences pretty much suck. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: February 04, 2024, 04:38:25 PM »
You don't have a "clear path" 5 games into the season Blue.  A lot can happen and still happen.   You can also make an argument that we blew two games.  The final score is the final score.  The only thing that is apparent is the top of the BEast and B18 appear to have three teams that are better than the pack, and the bottom 2 of both conferences pretty much suck.

The Butler loss mostly kills the dream of a second big east title. Needed that one.

Im not too worried about it though. Winning either of the BE titles again this year would be awesome but the NCCAT is what truly matters.

We just need to keep stock piling wins from here on out and get another great seed and hopefully a nice draw.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1813 on: February 04, 2024, 04:38:47 PM »

i think i've used the term hind titty here somewhere on scoop, so technically speaking-yes
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: February 04, 2024, 04:41:16 PM »
The Great AJ Storr - 4-for-15 shooting (0-4 from 3), 2 rebs, 1 assist.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1815 on: February 04, 2024, 04:45:26 PM »

Storr takes 34% of the shots when he’s on the court.  14th highest rate in the nation.  49% effective fg%, 32% from 3.  Let him shoot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: February 04, 2024, 04:45:38 PM »
We can quibble about what is a “clear path” just like we can quibble about “must win” games.

But the statement that the Badgers, who were two games ahead of Purdue at the time, needed to sweep Purdue to win the league title is factually inaccurate.

That two game lead, which included a road win over MSU, put them in a plum position.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: February 04, 2024, 04:45:44 PM »
The Butler loss mostly kills the dream of a second big east title. Needed that one.

Im not too worried about it though. Winning either of the BE titles again this year would be awesome but the NCCAT is what truly matters.

We just need to keep stock piling wins from here on out and get another great seed and hopefully a nice draw.

There's no question that was a terrible loss and an unmitigated disaster/meltdown.  Because we clearly lost our poise and beat ourselves.  That said while it's going to be extremely difficult to finish 1st in the BEast, or get a #1 tourney seed, a #2 seed is right there for us. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: February 04, 2024, 04:49:12 PM »
We can quibble about what is a “clear path” just like we can quibble about “must win” games.

But the statement that the Badgers, who were two games ahead of Purdue at the time, needed to sweep Purdue to win the league title is factually inaccurate.

That two game lead, which included a road win over MSU, put them in a plum position.

I think you're just way off with this "clear path" narrative after 5 games. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: February 04, 2024, 04:54:27 PM »
Storr takes 34% of the shots when he’s on the court.  14th highest rate in the nation.  49% effective fg%, 32% from 3.  Let him shoot

Yeah, he totally sucks. He’s only made them virtually by himself from an NIT team to an NCAA lock and potential high seed.

I have no love for the Badgers either, but give me a break with your silly cheap shots after an off game.  We’d all be thrilled if he were in the blue and gold and praise on this board would be effusive to put it mildly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1820 on: February 04, 2024, 04:57:48 PM »
Yeah, he totally sucks. He’s only made them virtually by himself from an NIT team to an NCAA lock and potential high seed.

I have no love for the Badgers either, but give me a break with your silly cheap shots after an off game.  We’d all be thrilled if he were in the blue and gold and praise on this board would be effusive to put it mildly.

They’d be better if he shot less

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: February 04, 2024, 05:11:57 PM »

Storr is very and a huge addition

But to say he has virtually by himself brought them from NIT to high seed is just an insane comment. Development is a thing, you know for every player on that team the same way he developed from last year?

Also, Rico isnt exactly wrong. As good as Storr is, he does chuck a lot and in crunch time it isnt exactly a bad thing to force the opponent into playing basically 1 guy against your 5 options.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1822 on: February 04, 2024, 05:19:02 PM »

But to say he has virtually by himself brought them from NIT to high seed is just an insane comment. Development is a thing, you know for every player on that team the same way he developed from last year?

Also, Rico isnt exactly wrong. As good as Storr is, he does chuck a lot and in crunch time it isnt exactly a bad thing to force the opponent into playing basically 1 guy against your 5 options.

They’re a better team with Storr playing much more than Essegian.  He’s more explosive and creative and gets to the free throw line.  I won’t comment on his defense.  I don’t think they’re anything special on defense across the board. 

Wisconsin is much better when the ball moves and it gets stuck with him in the game too often. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: February 04, 2024, 05:26:53 PM »
  i think i've used the term hind titty here somewhere on scoop, so technically speaking-yes

Shocking.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: February 04, 2024, 05:51:08 PM »

The only other addition from last year of any significance is Blackwell. The returning guys are virtually the same as last year, with Essegian and Hepburn worse. Their offensive team efficiency has improved dramatically over last year which is obviously almost entirely thanks to Storr.  They were in the 100’s last year and recently were in the top 10.

The fact is they were an NIT team last year and are a top 10 team today. So to say my take is “insane” is hyperbolic sh$$.  Same coach, returnees producing about the same and worse in a couple cases, and Blackwell the only other new guy contributing.  So I have no idea what you’re basing your argument on except wanting to argue. 

feedback