collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Professional Soccer Pathways  (Read 1878 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Professional Soccer Pathways
« on: October 28, 2023, 06:50:14 PM »
Enjoy.

panda

• All American
Re: Professional Soccer Pathways
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 08:43:49 AM »
I really can’t believe Craig Stewart and the lads couldn’t finish their strong late push in BE conference play. Just a remarkable achievement for Gtown and Brian Wiese at the helm. Just when you think he’s finished, he comes back and proves all the doubters wrong.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 09:26:55 AM »
There ya go.

Today’s professional soccer pathway example:

Craig Stewart,’Providence Coach, a player who trained with Newcastle. Sunderland, and Everton’s youth system. Then he both played and coached American College Soccer,’including a college All American (Julian Gressel) who went on to play in MLS, and with the U.S. Men’s National Team. Craig has also been both a U.S.National Team scout as well as MLS.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 10:11:57 AM »
Lol I picked a completely random team and coach just to goof you. Funny

Born and grew up in England, couldn’t cut it in the academies so comes to a third rate development program then goes on to play in what was at the time, a retirement league. Hooray college soccer development.

Just too perfect.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 10:33:20 AM »
Lol I picked a completely random team and coach just to goof you. Funny

Born and grew up in England, couldn’t cut it in the academies so comes to a third rate development program then goes on to play in what was at the time, a retirement league. Hooray college soccer development.

Just too perfect.

You goofed yourself.

He played in the youth club system in England. He came to ‘Merica, played and coached in college while also becoming a technical trainer and scout for MLS and U.S. Soccer. And he coached among others a college player that has played with the U.S. National Team.

Great choice. Keep em coming.

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 01:15:50 PM »
You goofed yourself.

He played in the youth club system in England. He came to ‘Merica, played and coached in college while also becoming a technical trainer and scout for MLS and U.S. Soccer. And he coached among others a college player that has played with the U.S. National Team.

Great choice. Keep em coming.

No I didn’t - he couldn’t cut it at the academies in England and maxes out playing in usl after college. Not exactly a banner success story of development.

If that’s a check in your column, I won’t even bother anymore with this.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 03:40:39 PM »
There ya go.

Today’s professional soccer pathway example:

Craig Stewart,’Providence Coach, a player who trained with Newcastle. Sunderland, and Everton’s youth system. Then he both played and coached American College Soccer,’including a college All American (Julian Gressel) who went on to play in MLS, and with the U.S. Men’s National Team. Craig has also been both a U.S.National Team scout as well as MLS.

Yes. This is a successful professional soccer pathway.

This if fun. Let’s stay in the New England area. In 2021 New England dominated MLS with a whopping 73 points. They did it largely with a group of ex college players. 8 of their 11 players with the most minutes were ex college players. Two played for the U.S. National Team, (DeJuan Jones and Matt Turner) one played for Canada’s National Team, (Tajan Buchanan) one played club in four different countries, 2 more in Europe, and others have successful domestic professional careers etc….a mix of a variety of things which is what soccer professional pathways are about.

panda

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 04:14:30 PM »
Yes. This is a successful professional soccer pathway.

This if fun. Let’s stay in the New England area. In 2021 New England dominated MLS with a whopping 73 points. They did it largely with a group of ex college players. 8 of their 11 players with the most minutes were ex college players. Two played for the U.S. National Team, (DeJuan Jones and Matt Turner) one played for Canada’s National Team, (Tajan Buchanan) one played club in four different countries, 2 more in Europe, and others have successful domestic professional careers etc….a mix of a variety of things which is what soccer professional pathways are about.

Ok - now how many college players logged minutes in serie a, bundesliga, la liga or the prem last year?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 04:20:08 PM »
Ok - now how many college players logged minutes in serie a, bundesliga, la liga or the prem last year?
You two should just put the gloves on and get in the ring already. You're not going to convince each other to change your opinions.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 04:38:08 PM »
You two should just put the gloves on and get in the ring already. You're not going to convince each other to change your opinions.

I think it’s been over for quite a while.

panda

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 05:45:20 PM »
I think it’s been over for quite a while.

I suppose if you consider playing in MLS a major career accomplishment, he’s crushing me.

I doubt those players consider the level they’re at the pinnacle of success. They may be happy with their personal achievements, but if they were any better and had an opportunity to leave for a more prestigious league, they’d be gone in a heartbeat.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 06:20:04 PM »
I’m happy to read and take a look at some of Nico’s work since he’s the John Fanta of College Soccer.

Curious why he doesn’t have any soccer followers on twitter or any soccer stuff on his linkedin resume page. I do see he paid for blue check:

Nico Berardi:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nico-berardi

Free Nico.

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 06:31:27 PM »
I’m happy to read and take a look at some of Nico’s work since he’s the John Fanta of College Soccer.

Curious why he doesn’t have any soccer followers on twitter or any soccer stuff on his linkedin resume page. I do see he paid for blue check:

Nico Berardi:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nico-berardi

Free Nico.

Seems like a classic case of ignoring news and opinions you don’t agree with…

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 07:08:37 PM »
Seems like a classic case of ignoring news and opinions you don’t agree with…

You’re projecting.

I started a college soccer thread (I don’t start many threads here) so that people can enjoy all things related to college soccer, including Marquette Women’s and Men’s Soccer.

You posted a question. I replied, and gave you a many responses to your inquiries. You posted 13 times in that thread. I even started a new thread for you (you’ve now posted 6 times in it) so that others can enjoy college soccer in the college soccer thread. And you and anyone else can have somewhere to discuss Professional Soccer Pathways. You were asked multiple times to separate the posts and threads. You have also now posted 6 times in this thread.

You then went to Twitter and you typed in a search that said exactly these words:

“College Soccer is Terrible.” I encourage anyone else to do the same.

Then when the search results pop up, click on the tab marked “latest.”

That is where we find the great Nico Berardi.

Even another poster asked you multiple times to provide samples and links to his work. You have yet to do so.

You are an example of why I started a new thread about college soccer. There already is a thread that is heavily dedicated to the U.S. Men’s National Team and the top few leagues in Europe. While those things are fine and good and occasionally I will participate in that thread, soccer for me and for some others is about much more than that, both Women and Men.

Maybe just scrape yourself up off of the ground, dust yourself off, let the college soccer people enjoy the college soccer thread, and you can post about professional soccer pathways all you want in this thread. Otherwise start a new thread with whatever it is you want to discuss.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 07:20:16 PM »
You’re projecting.

I started a college soccer thread (I don’t start many threads here) so that people can enjoy all things related to college soccer, including Marquette Women’s and Men’s Soccer.

You posted a question. I replied, and gave you a many responses to your inquiries. You posted 13 times in that thread. I even started a new thread for you (you’ve now posted 6 times in it) so that others can enjoy college soccer in the college soccer thread. And you and anyone else can have somewhere to discuss Professional Soccer Pathways. You were asked multiple times to separate the posts and threads. You have also now posted 6 times in this thread.

You then went to Twitter and you typed in a search that said exactly these words:

Even another poster asked you multiple times to provide samples and links to his work. You have yet to do so.

You are an example of why I started a new thread about college soccer. There already is a thread that is heavily dedicated to the U.S. Men’s National Team and the top few leagues in Europe. While those things are fine and good and occasionally I will participate in that thread, soccer for me and for some others is about much more than that, both Women and Men.

Maybe just scrape yourself up off of the ground, dust yourself off, let the college soccer people enjoy the college soccer thread, and you can post about professional soccer pathways all you want in this thread. Otherwise start a new thread with whatever it is you want to discuss.

You are getting trolled pretty hard right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2023, 07:30:20 PM »

You are getting trolled pretty hard right now.

I don’t think you understand how this works.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2023, 07:30:56 PM »
You’re projecting.

Buddy - Nico has forgotten more about college soccer than you’ll ever know. The fact you’re discrediting him speaks volumes about your supposed passion for the sport. We work so hard to build up a positive environment and you’re doing your best to tear it all down with one thread. I can’t imagine what coach wiese from Georgetown would thinks of your cattiness.

Don’t you dare smear the good name of a Berardi ever again.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 04:22:23 PM »
31% of the 2022 U.S.World Cup Team played college soccer. An additional several other U.S. college players, played in the 2023 Gold Cup.

There are roughly 20 plus U.S. players in the “Big 5” Euro Leagues. This includes college and non college players. And college players such as Daryl Dike who play in the EFL, can make more money in MLS. If you combine the two leagues, 17 of of the top 25 paid teams between MLS and EFL are MLS teams. The top 3 EFL teams pay double to triple the 4th highest EFL team.

It helps to understand Panda. He is a Milwaukee USL person. That is why we are here. He even said so if you read his initial posts. He wants 18-22 year olds to sign with USL as opposed to college. Panda’s USL interests are competitive with MLS.

MLS of course has Academies both team and non team Academies. They also have the recent MLS Next Pro, which is a perceived threat to USL.

As I have previously mentioned, roughly 30 so American teens go pro and skip college to varying degrees of success. Many of these players train daily with college committed players, college alums (1,2,3,4 years depending on the player. 44 players are usually invited in the Generation Adidas program and less than 10 or so will annually leave school to go pro), as well as other varying professional non college players. A few homegrown teens play immediately on MLS teams. Others play a lot on the MLS Next Pro team/MLS 2nd team. And some of these players will get loaned out to a USL team for periods as well. There have alsp been examples of players playing USL then college and vice versa with that order.

There are a wide variety of successful professional pathways, which includes playing college soccer. Seems simple enough.

Then the topic changed from advocating USL to MLS is the ceiling as if that were a bad thing. 37 WC players last year played in MLS including many American players. They also get to live and train in the states with a variety of options, and make more money than many other situations.

The goalposts kept moving and moving and moving.

Free Nico.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 04:41:22 PM by shoothoops »

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 04:41:16 PM »
31% of the 2022 U.S.World Cup Team played college soccer. An additional several other U.S. players played in the 2023 Gold Cup.

There are roughly 20 plus U.S. players in the “Big 5” Euro Leagues. This includes college and non college players. And college players such as Daryl Dike who play in the EFL, can make more money in MLS. If you combine the two leagues. 17 of of the top 25 paid teams are MLS teams. The top 3 EFL teams pay double to triple the 4th highest EFL team.

It helps to understand Panda. He is a Milwaukee USL person. That is why we are here. He even said so if you read his initial posts. He wants 18-22 year olds to sign with USL as opposed to college. Panda’s USL interests are competitive with MLS.

MLS of course has Academies both team and non team Academies. They also have the recent MLS Next Pro, which is a perceived threat to USL.

As I have previously mentioned, roughly 30 so American teens go pro and skip college to varying degrees of success. Many of these players train daily with college committed players, college alums (1,2,3,4 years depending on the player. 44 players are usually invited in the Generation Adidas program and less than 10 or so will annually leave school to go pro), as well as other varying professional non college players. A few homegrown teens play immediately on MLS teams. Others play a lot on the MLS Next Pro team/MLS 2nd team. And some of these players will get loaned out to a USL team for periods as well. There have alsp been examples of players playing USL then college and vice versa with that order.

There are a wide variety of successful professional pathways, which includes playing college soccer. Seems simple enough.

Then the topic changed from advocating USL to MLS is the ceiling as if that were a bad thing. 37 WC players last year played in MLS including many American players. They also get to live and train in the states with a variety of options, and make more money than many other situations.

The goalposts kept moving and moving and moving.

Free Nico.

Four of your 31% frankly shouldn't have been selected.

sean johnson
aaron long
jordan morris
cristian roldan

Walker Zimmerman
tim ream
Matt turner

-----
I honestly don't understand this gibberish -

"There are roughly 20 plus U.S. players in the “Big 5” Euro Leagues. This includes college and non college players. And college players such as Daryl Dike who play in the EFL, can make more money in MLS. If you combine the two leagues. 17 of of the top 25 paid teams are MLS teams. The top 3 EFL teams pay double to triple the 4th highest EFL team."

I know you love college soccer so it doesn't surprise me, but it's called the Championship.

----

"It helps to understand Panda. He is a Milwaukee USL person. That is why we are here. He even said so if you read his initial posts. He wants 18-22 year olds to sign with USL as opposed to college. Panda’s USL interests are competitive with MLS."

I'm not a USL person. I think that the USL can gain a competitive advantage in the marketing game by signing and playing young talent which then goes on to bigger and better things. Nothing more than that.

----

As I've said multiple times, I don't need you to explain grassroots soccer in America to me. Just because you know it exists doesn't make you correct. College soccer stinks and it hurts the development of those who choose to play it at its highest levels.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »
Four of your 31% frankly shouldn't have been selected.

sean johnson
aaron long
jordan morris
cristian roldan

Walker Zimmerman
tim ream
Matt turner

-----
I honestly don't understand this gibberish -

"There are roughly 20 plus U.S. players in the “Big 5” Euro Leagues. This includes college and non college players. And college players such as Daryl Dike who play in the EFL, can make more money in MLS. If you combine the two leagues. 17 of of the top 25 paid teams are MLS teams. The top 3 EFL teams pay double to triple the 4th highest EFL team."

I know you love college soccer so it doesn't surprise me, but it's called the Championship.

----

"It helps to understand Panda. He is a Milwaukee USL person. That is why we are here. He even said so if you read his initial posts. He wants 18-22 year olds to sign with USL as opposed to college. Panda’s USL interests are competitive with MLS."

I'm not a USL person. I think that the USL can gain a competitive advantage in the marketing game by signing and playing young talent which then goes on to bigger and better things. Nothing more than that.

----

As I've said multiple times, I don't need you to explain grassroots soccer in America to me. Just because you know it exists doesn't make you correct. College soccer stinks and it hurts the development of those who choose to play it at its highest levels.

Yedlin, etc…now do Gold Cup.

Something something college soccer stinks. 

The reality is that professional player pathways are a mix and a variety of things. And college is has been shown to be a viable path for many.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2023, 05:09:01 PM »
Yedlin, etc…now do Gold Cup.

Something something college soccer stinks. 

The reality is that professional player pathways are a mix and a variety of things. And college is has been shown to be a viable path for many.

So our B team who struggled mightily during the gold cup in a ridiculously weak concacaf and you’re bragging about it ??

You teed me up perfectly yet again. This is comical. Maybe a more robust development system for a lot of those players could’ve helped in a historically bad gold cup performance.

Just because you consider it to be a viable pathway to a professional career doesn’t mean it’s sufficient.

Do you have anymore examples so I can keep proving my point ?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 05:39:06 PM »
So our B team who struggled mightily during the gold cup in a ridiculously weak concacaf and you’re bragging about it ??

You teed me up perfectly yet again. This is comical. Maybe a more robust development system for a lot of those players could’ve helped in a historically bad gold cup performance.

Just because you consider it to be a viable pathway to a professional career doesn’t mean it’s sufficient.

Do you have anymore examples so I can keep proving my point ?

Lol.

You are literally in a discussion debating the highest level team in U.S. Soccer where a third of them played college soccer. And that doesn’t include other levels of professional soccer.

But something something USL, which lost 3 more  teams to MLS last year. There are a variety of successful pathways and, there are less successful players in all domestic and international pathways too.

If only we had let Nico pick the players and pathways.

panda

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2023, 07:38:15 PM »
I’m discussing the viability of a broken system.

You’re bragging about numbers on a historically bad gold cup roster, which performed historically bad given the historically bad talent level currently in concacaf. They lost to Panama in the semi finals cmon.

But hooray ! There were a bunch of guys who played college soccer on the roster. 

I hope there is a day in the near future that the viability of college soccer becomes obsolete and we catch up with almost every other countries development system.

I’m not an mls guy or a usl guy. I think the usl is in a position currently to give opportunities to younger Americans and market them, giving a possible leg up in some fashion over MLS. MLS focuses on signing younger talent from abroad on max deals while usl can stick with young homegrown talent. Cream rises to the top.

panda

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2023, 07:43:32 PM »

If only we had let Nico pick the players and pathways.

I think you should double check his LinkedIn profile one more time to make sure I’m really not trolling you…

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 10:41:18 PM »
I think you should double check his LinkedIn profile one more time to make sure I’m really not trolling you…

Sure thing Nico.

That’s the thing, trolling only makes trolls look bad, not the people they’re trying to troll.