Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147339 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #525 on: February 12, 2024, 11:14:31 AM »
I still think DePaul best option is a guy who has a proven Head Coaching record of success, that is coming off a scandal. That scenario is one where the coach would actually take a Depaul job to get back in the game to clean up image. Gregg Marshall, Huggy Bear , Will Wade ( although it might be too late to get him)

Someone likenthat can jumpstart the program to mediocrity and build it from there .

Bob Huggins would be 71 years old by the time next season starts. Not exactly the kind of energetic guy DePaul needs to reinvigorate that program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #526 on: February 12, 2024, 11:17:22 AM »
I would think Huggins radio interview would automatically disqualify him from any job at a Catholic University.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #527 on: February 12, 2024, 11:17:52 AM »
I still think DePaul best option is a guy who has a proven Head Coaching record of success, that is coming off a scandal. That scenario is one where the coach would actually take a Depaul job to get back in the game to clean up image. Gregg Marshall, Huggy Bear , Will Wade ( although it might be too late to get him)

Someone likenthat can jumpstart the program to mediocrity and build it from there .

Yeah I'm sure a catholic school is chomping at the bit to get Huggins after his anti catholic interview.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #528 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21:55 AM »
I would think Huggins radio interview would automatically disqualify him from any job at a Catholic University.

One might guess, but apparently paying for your side piece's abortion isn't disqualifying.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #529 on: February 12, 2024, 11:30:06 AM »
Is St. Louis a better gig than New Mexico?
No idea about how their resources compare, but it's a lesser conference with less fan support.
I was curious about this as well and just read that Ford is getting $2.3MM at SLU. Pitino is getting $1.25 at UNM, figure he'll get a raise, but that's an impressive salary for SLU. SLU should attract some quality candidates at over $2MM.

TheStrand

• Walk-On
« Reply #530 on: February 12, 2024, 11:36:12 AM »
No idea about how their resources compare, but it's a lesser conference with less fan support.

At first glance it doesn’t perhaps make much sense. But, it’s plausible if you look more closely. I was surprised when I heard it, and less surprised when I thought about it.

Ford and Rick Pitino are close. Despite not winning enough games, Ford is close with the AD there, and with some boosters.

Today’s Saint Louis basketball has better resources and facilities than it did in the past, by a lot. So they can get a decent coach if they don’t mess up the hire, a big if like anywhere else.

The league question is interesting. Obviously the A10 used to be a better league and it included some current Big East schools.

In a P6 league a school can be a .500 middle of the pack team etc…and make the NCAA Tourney. Ford had 5 KenPom top 40 seasons at Oklahoma State for example. It’s tougher to make the NCAA Tourney at a non P6 league. But the expectation would be higher in the league, such as winning a higher percentage of league games. We’ve seen some coaches dominate non P6 leagues and stay there. And expectations can be higher in P6 leagues.

The annual operating budgets of Dayton, VCU, and Saint Louis are similar for Men’s Basketball. And from what I’ve seen is significantly higher than New Mexico. Ford for example makes $2.4 million a year.

This seems to fit style of their current largest boosters vs a Ben McCollum type. I would surprised if they didn’t contact Chris Mack, not that he would have interest. (his daughter will play volleyball at Vandy and Ohio State may be open as well).

As far as Richard Pitino, all I know is the Minnesota writer mentioned it recently which came out of left field a little bit.

Some boomerang type of coaches have success after failure, like Greg McDermott, (Iowa State) others less so. It all depends.

Saint Louis doesn’t have any fan support issues. They have had some other ones, but fan support isn’t one of them.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #531 on: February 12, 2024, 11:43:23 AM »
St. Louis sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #532 on: February 12, 2024, 12:10:32 PM »

Marshall is actually a really interesting choice.  He may very well have no interest in getting back into coaching, but he'd be the right idea.  His transgressions were bad, but not black balled from coaching bad.

Sandstone

• Walk-On
« Reply #533 on: February 12, 2024, 12:11:10 PM »
At first glance it doesn’t perhaps make much sense. But, it’s plausible if you look more closely. I was surprised when I heard it, and less surprised when I thought about it.

Ford and Rick Pitino are close. Despite not winning enough games, Ford is close with the AD there, and with some boosters.

Today’s Saint Louis basketball has better resources and facilities than it did in the past, by a lot. So they can get a decent coach if they don’t mess up the hire, a big if like anywhere else.

The league question is interesting. Obviously the A10 used to be a better league and it included some current Big East schools.

In a P6 league a school can be a .500 middle of the pack team etc…and make the NCAA Tourney. Ford had 5 KenPom top 40 seasons at Oklahoma State for example. It’s tougher to make the NCAA Tourney at a non P6 league. But the expectation would be higher in the league, such as winning a higher percentage of league games. We’ve seen some coaches dominate non P6 leagues and stay there. And expectations can be higher in P6 leagues.

The annual operating budgets of Dayton, VCU, and Saint Louis are similar for Men’s Basketball. And from what I’ve seen is significantly higher than New Mexico. Ford for example makes $2.4 million a year.

This seems to fit style of their current largest boosters vs a Ben McCollum type. I would surprised if they didn’t contact Chris Mack, not that he would have interest. (his daughter will play volleyball at Vandy and Ohio State may be open as well).

As far as Richard Pitino, all I know is the Minnesota writer mentioned it recently which came out of left field a little bit.

Some boomerang type of coaches have success after failure, like Greg McDermott, (Iowa State) others less so. It all depends.

Saint Louis doesn’t have any fan support issues. They have had some other ones, but fan support isn’t one of them.

I agree with much of this. I know some of their boosters tried to force out Ford last year and replace him with Blake Ahearn. But it didn't work. Not everyone was on board with that.

I would think they would reach out to some of the following : McCollum, Schertz, Mack, Moser, Holtmann, DeVries, Enfield, Drew, etc....

It's nice for Marquette to not have to go through a coaching search for a while.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #534 on: February 12, 2024, 12:50:28 PM »

They're the only D1 or above basketball team in a large, urban market, and a 21-win squad last year averaged 7,056 attendance in a 10,600-seat arena. And that was their first year above 7,000 since 2014-15. Only two of their 12 home games this year have drawn more than 7,000.
There are definitely other ways to measure fan support, but they're not exactly packing them in as the only game in town.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #535 on: February 12, 2024, 12:56:36 PM »
They're the only D1 or above basketball team in a large, urban market, and a 21-win squad last year averaged 7,056 attendance in a 10,600-seat arena. And that was their first year above 7,000 since 2014-15. Only two of their 12 home games this year have drawn more than 7,000.
There are definitely other ways to measure fan support, but they're not exactly packing them in as the only game in town.

True, but last year was their first year without Yadi. His retirement opens up some free time.

Would Pitino even be that attractive of a coach for St Louis? I suppose he's finally got them trending well, but the first two years looked rough.

TheStrand

• Walk-On
« Reply #536 on: February 12, 2024, 01:37:33 PM »

Gotta win games. Ask Georgetown. Or DePaul. Or St. John’s. Or Butler? And so on.

Here’s Georgetown attendance:

https://www.hoyabasketball.com/records/bb-homeatt.htm

With Saint Louis, if the team isn’t winning at a high level, and the league isn’t P6, that’s to be expected.

1994-2001 they were top 25 or better in attendance annually. They sold out often with Majerus’ players. They still sold out games vs better opponents during Ford too. Some would suggest by staying away from year 8 of Ford, their fans are in fact supporting their program wanting a change.

Marquette for example fell out of top 25 attendance 5 times in the later 90’s. I think we all know why that happened.

And not that it matters, but SIUE and Lindenwood are both D-1 in basketball. (Most of the overlapping Winter sports dollar is going to the NHL, MLS, XFL.)

It’s a sports town, including basketball. That’s why they sell out Mizzou v Illinois annually for decades, regularly host NCAA Regionals and early rounds, MVC tourney, NBA exhibitions, etc…

Gotta give people something desirable to attend. Mizzou, for example, which draws St. Louis fans, was top 20 nationally in attendance last year. Illinois was top 10.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #537 on: February 12, 2024, 01:38:10 PM »
St. Louis sucks

Sandstone

• Walk-On
« Reply #538 on: February 12, 2024, 01:54:18 PM »

Gotta win games. Ask Georgetown. Or DePaul. Or St. John’s. Or Butler? And so on.

Here’s Georgetown attendance:

https://www.hoyabasketball.com/records/bb-homeatt.htm

With Saint Louis, if the team isn’t winning at a high level, and the league isn’t P6, that’s to be expected.

1994-2001 they were top 25 or better in attendance annually. They sold out often with Majerus’ players. They still sold out games vs better opponents during Ford too. Some would suggest by staying away from year 8 of Ford, their fans are in fact supporting their program wanting a change.

Marquette for example fell out of top 25 attendance 5 times in the later 90’s. I think we all know why that happened.

And not that it matters, but SIUE and Lindenwood are both D-1 in basketball. (Most of the overlapping Winter sports dollar is going to the NHL, MLS, XFL.)

It’s a sports town, including basketball. That’s why they sell out Mizzou v Illinois annually for decades, regularly host NCAA Regionals and early rounds, MVC tourney, NBA exhibitions, etc…

Gotta give people something desirable to attend. Mizzou, for example, which draws St. Louis fans, was top 20 nationally in attendance last year. Illinois was top 10.

Yep. I sometimes wonder what f Marquette had hired different coaches after Dukiet, Deane, Wojo?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #539 on: February 12, 2024, 02:04:25 PM »
Yep. I sometimes wonder what f Marquette had hired different coaches after Dukiet, Deane, Wojo?

As best I can tell
1) You're replying to yourself.
2) You're supposed to be banned.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2024, 02:18:36 PM »
oh boy

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2024, 02:29:26 PM »
As best I can tell
1) You're replying to yourself.
2) You're supposed to be banned.

What tipped you off? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #542 on: February 12, 2024, 02:32:55 PM »

But they are winning games. Over the last five full (i.e. non-COVID) years, they've averaged 21.4 wins per season.
Georgetown over the same time frame has averaged 12.4. DePaul 14.2.
Not sure those are great comparisons.
Butler? They draw more fans in a smaller arena than St. Louis, and have major competition about an hour away in IU and Purdue.

Their conference affiliation isn't changing anytime soon.

No, SIUE and Lindenwood don't matter.
MLS has been in St. Louis for one year and the season doesn't begin until the college hoops season is almost over. Hoops fans aren't skipping games in December, January and February because of St. Louis City SC. Same with XFL.

Illinois was top 10.
St. Louis people are driving to Champaign for Illinois games?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #543 on: February 12, 2024, 02:37:38 PM »
The shoothoops bat signal must be broken

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #544 on: February 12, 2024, 02:38:40 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #545 on: February 12, 2024, 03:01:54 PM »
IP address?

Well, that, and the paragraph long posts defending St. Louis

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2024, 03:03:26 PM »
St. Louis sucks

SWpoken like an envious Cub fan

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2024, 07:34:00 PM »
The shoothoops bat signal must be broken

No, he got banned but is posting as Sandstone and TheStrand.

Don’t know why the hammer was dropped

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2024, 07:36:22 PM »
So shoothoops, the guy who posts in topics just because he wants to and is way too enlightened to engage in the tribal debates that happen here, has created two sockpuppets that reply to one another?

That's vintage stuff right there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #549 on: February 12, 2024, 07:44:53 PM »
So shoothoops, the guy who posts in topics just because he wants to and is way too enlightened to engage in the tribal debates that happen here, has created two sockpuppets that reply to one another?

That's vintage stuff right there.

What's a shoothoops?

feedback