Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 147270 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #325 on: January 26, 2024, 06:51:39 AM »
I’ve lived in the heart of downtown Chicago and worked in the Loop for 5 years now: used to live a block from Portillo’s in River North, now a block from Lake Shore Drive and two from Michigan Ave. I absolutely love it, and have had a grand total of ZERO incidents in my entire time here. None. Zilch. Nada. Is that to say there aren’t parts of the city I wish were better? Of course not.

But the people who are “scared” of Chicago because of what $800 million poorer FOX News says are the same people who lined the highway thinking JFK had come back from the dead and was running as Trump’s VP (hysterical unnatural carnal knowledgeing video). If you have all these preconceived notions of Chicago based on garbage you hear, without experiencing it yourself, dare I say YOU are the triggered snowflake.
fake news? So msnbc, npr, cnn got it right? Wow! My buddies kid got jacked, but maybe he made that up. A story for attention. Thx.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #326 on: January 26, 2024, 07:43:10 AM »
fake news? So msnbc, npr, cnn got it right? Wow! My buddies kid got jacked, but maybe he made that up. A story for attention. Thx.

The rate of violent crime in Chicago has decreased over the last 20 years. That's a fact.

The United States has a larger percentage of its population in prison than all but four other countries - none of which are western democracies. That's a fact.

But you live your life by anecdotes and feelings. I just don't take that seriously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #327 on: January 26, 2024, 08:05:16 AM »

While I am sincerely sorry to hear that your buddy's kid got jacked - something that happens in major cities every day, unfortunately (and in some mid-sized and small towns too) - your anecdote is statistically meaningless.

It would be like me relaying my own anecdote: "My son's in-laws were at the 2022 Highland Park parade that was shot up by a gunman who shouldn't have had easy access to firearms, and one of their friends was wounded in the attack. Therefore, every parade in rich suburbs will be shot up, and nobody should ever attend a parade again."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2024, 08:08:57 AM »
The thread ruiners are at it again.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2024, 08:10:28 AM »
The thread ruiners are at it again.

Huh - my thread just says "You are ignoring this user. Show me the post." a bunch of times

Viper

• All American
« Reply #330 on: January 26, 2024, 08:20:55 AM »
The rate of violent crime in Chicago has decreased over the last 20 years. That's a fact.

The United States has a larger percentage of its population in prison than all but four other countries - none of which are western democracies. That's a fact.

But you live your life by anecdotes and feelings. I just don't take that seriously.
talk about living in a bubble sucking in a false narrative!! Joe enjoys your support, comrade

• All American
« Reply #331 on: January 26, 2024, 08:22:18 AM »
talk about living in a bubble sucking in a false narrative!! Joe enjoys your support, comrade

Statistics and facts are a "false narrative?"  Huh.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2024, 08:24:56 AM »
While I am sincerely sorry to hear that your buddy's kid got jacked - something that happens in major cities every day, unfortunately (and in some mid-sized and small towns too) - your anecdote is statistically meaningless.

It would be like me relaying my own anecdote: "My son's in-laws were at the 2022 Highland Park parade that was shot up by a gunman who shouldn't have had easy access to firearms, and one of their friends was wounded in the attack. Therefore, every parade in rich suburbs will be shot up, and nobody should ever attend a parade again."
dismissed like the good lefty you are. 82, living in the dream of is own imagination. You and Sulton…classics. I’d add News to your club, but he’s only 16. There’s some hope with him.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2024, 08:25:39 AM »
Statistics and facts are a "false narrative?"  Huh.
enjoy your America, Sult. Enjoy.

• All American
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2024, 08:29:07 AM »
enjoy your America, Sult. Enjoy.

I'm cool thanks. Because I live in the reality that stats and facts show me.

You live in an imagined world guided by what people tell you and how you feel about that. You haven't refuted a single fact that I have stated here. But hey...give us another anecdote.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2024, 08:34:52 AM »
If you're avoiding Chicagio bc of what you have heard about crime --- great more room for me. My family has been downtown 3 times since October and our biggest concern is when can we get back.

My wife and I stayed down there in October + November and had great times each weekend. We're late night people; we're in and out of bars well past midnight.

Then my wife took our two grade school age daughters there for 3 days over break. The only complaint was some stores were so busy they were waiting in line to get in.   

My recommedation, turn off the news, get on the Amtrak and see one of the greatest cities in the world. If you're local to Milwaukee, consider it a blessing that God put you only 90 minutes away from this gem.

So who was watching your girls while you and your wife were bar hopping.

• All American
« Reply #336 on: January 26, 2024, 08:37:09 AM »

What an odd question. A babysitter? Family member? Did you never go on weekend getaways when your kids were little?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #337 on: January 26, 2024, 08:38:17 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #338 on: January 26, 2024, 08:44:36 AM »
The replies in this thread to wake up to are something. We've got someone who think urban locations are a communist war zone trapping millions of people within its boarders and a person insinuating child neglect.

It's only 8:45 but I want to make some popcorn and pop a beer.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Viper

• All American
« Reply #339 on: January 26, 2024, 09:34:48 AM »
The replies in this thread to wake up to are something. We've got someone who think urban locations are a communist war zone trapping millions of people within its boarders and a person insinuating child neglect.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2024, 09:40:31 AM »

It's almost like the internet and 24 hour entertainment news cycle is a bad thing

Meet at Galway Bay for the free popcorn and a cold one?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #341 on: January 26, 2024, 09:45:14 AM »
It's almost like the internet and 24 hour entertainment news cycle is a bad thing

Meet at Galway Bay for the free popcorn and a cold one?

Make it Monsignor Murphys and I'm in! Not allowed into Galway Bay as sponsor my hurling team's big rival.

https://twitter.com/ChiTownHurling
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #342 on: January 26, 2024, 09:48:24 AM »

Make it Monsignor Murphys and I'm in! Not allowed into Galway Bay as sponsor my hurling team's big rival.

https://twitter.com/ChiTownHurling

Haha. Literally had  previously had MM instead of Galway

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2024, 10:38:38 AM »
Although I still believe a talented,  but scandal plagued coach, is the best route for DePaul, one of the  young coaches the Blue Demons may want to consider is Drew Valentine. He has done a solid job at Loyola as they have moved up a conference to A10, and of course already lives in Chicago. Wouldn't have to change any of his recruiting pattern either. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2024, 11:01:07 AM »
Although I still believe a talented,  but scandal plagued coach, is the best route for DePaul, one of the  young coaches the Blue Demons may want to consider is Drew Valentine. He has done a solid job at Loyola as they have moved up a conference to A10, and of course already lives in Chicago. Wouldn't have to change any of his recruiting pattern either.

An A10 coach who gets a Big East job and doesn't change his recruiting pattern. Yep, that sounds on brand for a DePaul hire.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #345 on: January 26, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »
I don't think its a terrible thought. He had a bad year last year, but has at least turned it around a bit. I think his energy is exactly what they need. But in the end he needs a bit more of a track record.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #346 on: January 26, 2024, 11:26:27 AM »

Still sort of believe it's gonna be Will Wade. But agree that Valentine would be a good fit.

• All American
« Reply #347 on: January 26, 2024, 11:31:49 AM »
I really can't see De Paul hiring Wade anymore than I could see Marquette making the same decision.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #348 on: January 26, 2024, 11:52:49 AM »
I don't think its a terrible thought. He had a bad year last year, but has at least turned it around a bit. I think his energy is exactly what they need. But in the end he needs a bit more of a track record.

It wasn't so much the "who" that caught my attention, but the "how." Suggesting that when moving from the A10 to Big East there would be no need to change the recruiting...well I think that's a recipe to stay in the Big East basement. If DePaul has any legitimate hope of ever being competitive in the Big East, they're going to need to recruit a different caliber kid than Loyola recruits. As I recall, that was the question some people asked about Moser -- "Can he recruit high-major talent?"

I have nothing at all against Valentine and he might be the perfect man for the job. But it's silly to suggest that he wouldn't need to change his recruiting focus in the new job. If he does get the job and he doesn't change his recruiting (and there is absolutely no reason to think he wouldn't)...well...that would just seem like a very DePaul thing to do. I would hope that DePaul's goal is to stop doing DePaul things so they can stop getting DePaul results. I suspect Valentine would agree.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:55:03 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #349 on: January 26, 2024, 11:59:08 AM »
Oh yeah. I agree with that. Players can come from all over these days. The idea that somehow De Paul can just plug back into the CPS and all will be fine is a relic from 1985.

feedback