[October 22, 2024, 07:09:33 PM]

Recruiting as of 9/15/24 by We R Final Four
[October 22, 2024, 06:51:53 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Oldgym
[October 22, 2024, 05:29:19 PM]

Marquette Retiring Jim Chones Jersey by Nukem2
[October 22, 2024, 04:06:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NHL 23-24  (Read 7079 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NHL 23-24
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2024, 11:10:23 PM »
No longer a unmitigated disaster

Wondering if their fans will go out and do some celebratory panther poaching. They deserve it.

Completely unacceptable comment.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2024, 06:50:33 AM »

No, panthers are delicious
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2024, 08:00:19 AM »
No, panthers are delicious
Don't sleep on sous vide panther loin

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2024, 08:03:58 AM »
The Canadian misery continues.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2024, 08:06:14 AM »
Called it, historic playoff + a team with no dominant player=Losing player Conn Smythe

I am a bit surprised he still got it after 2 goose eggs. But goes to show it really wasnt even close when I said it game 5 then.

Yep, you nailed it. But it really wasn't very surprising that McDavid won it, as his stats dominated.

I have absolutely no problem with him winning it (and nobody would care if I did), but I also would have had no problem with Bobrovsky getting it despite having 3 subpar games in the Final. He was outstanding throughout the first 3 rounds, the Panthers wouldn't have had a 3-0 series cushion had he not excelled in Games 1-3, and while McDavid was getting a second straight donut last night, Bobrovsky was withstanding wave after wave to deliver the Cup to Florida.

Regardless, McDavid would have gladly traded his individual award for Edmonton to win the series. But the better all-around team won ... albeit just barely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” - George Washington

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2024, 10:38:27 AM »

It’s time to go medieval
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2024, 11:09:49 AM »
Yep, you nailed it. But it really wasn't very surprising that McDavid won it, as his stats dominated.

I have absolutely no problem with him winning it (and nobody would care if I did), but I also would have had no problem with Bobrovsky getting it despite having 3 subpar games in the Final. He was outstanding throughout the first 3 rounds, the Panthers wouldn't have had a 3-0 series cushion had he not excelled in Games 1-3, and while McDavid was getting a second straight donut last night, Bobrovsky was withstanding wave after wave to deliver the Cup to Florida.

Regardless, McDavid would have gladly traded his individual award for Edmonton to win the series. But the better all-around team won ... albeit just barely.
I am not even sure if McDavid picked up his trophy. It might still be sitting there

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2024, 11:46:21 AM »
I miss Doc Emrick.  Sean MacD  has a lot of issues.  Including his asinine comments about McDavid during the 3rd period.  He said something like "he's gonna hurt his legacy if he doesn't do something out there soon."  Oh..... okay.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2024, 01:19:01 PM »
I am not even sure if McDavid picked up his trophy. It might still be sitting there

From the Washington Post account:

After coming up just two goals short of the ultimate dream, after nearly pulling off a fairy-tale ending for the ages in the building where the Oilers drafted him nine years ago, McDavid was nowhere to be found as a staffer carried his trophy away.

The article also included a quote from Leon Draisaitl:

“He’s the greatest player to ever play, in my books. So many things that a lot of people don’t see that he does, his work ethic. He single-handedly turned our franchise around, pretty much. Just love sharing the ice with him. He’s just a really, really special person.”

He's McDavid's teammate and friend, so I'd expect nothing less. But for those who are objective, it's pretty goofy to look at the bodies of work of McDavid, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr and declare that McDavid is the greatest ever.

Now, I could listen to an argument that McDavid is the "most skilled," although I don't know how one could objectively determine that. But as far as records and accomplishments go, he simply isn't the greatest.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2024, 03:21:23 PM »
From the Washington Post account:

After coming up just two goals short of the ultimate dream, after nearly pulling off a fairy-tale ending for the ages in the building where the Oilers drafted him nine years ago, McDavid was nowhere to be found as a staffer carried his trophy away.

The article also included a quote from Leon Draisaitl:

“He’s the greatest player to ever play, in my books. So many things that a lot of people don’t see that he does, his work ethic. He single-handedly turned our franchise around, pretty much. Just love sharing the ice with him. He’s just a really, really special person.”

He's McDavid's teammate and friend, so I'd expect nothing less. But for those who are objective, it's pretty goofy to look at the bodies of work of McDavid, Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr and declare that McDavid is the greatest ever.

Now, I could listen to an argument that McDavid is the "most skilled," although I don't know how one could objectively determine that. But as far as records and accomplishments go, he simply isn't the greatest.

He didn't say most accomplished.  You can't prove he's the greatest ever, but you also can't prove he's not.  He's certainly in the conversation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2024, 04:35:56 PM »
He didn't say most accomplished.  You can't prove he's the greatest ever, but you also can't prove he's not.  He's certainly in the conversation.

That's fair, wades.

Whether or not he or someone else is the greatest ever is a matter of opinion.

Whether or not he is the most accomplished is simply fact-based. He obviously isn't, and it's not really very close.

And you know what? There's no shame in not being close, accomplishment-wise, to Gretzky and Lemieux, the most accomplished hockey players ever. This isn't meant as a "slight" to McDavid. He's great!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2024, 04:57:35 PM »
That's fair, wades.

Whether or not he or someone else is the greatest ever is a matter of opinion.

Whether or not he is the most accomplished is simply fact-based. He obviously isn't, and it's not really very close.

And you know what? There's no shame in not being close, accomplishment-wise, to Gretzky and Lemieux, the most accomplished hockey players ever. This isn't meant as a "slight" to McDavid. He's great!

Gordie Howe, eh?

Stanley Cups = Gordie 4, Mario 2
MVPs = Gordie 6, Mario 3
Scoring titles = Gordie 6, Mario 6

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2024, 05:58:24 PM »
Gordie Howe, eh?

Stanley Cups = Gordie 4, Mario 2
MVPs = Gordie 6, Mario 3
Scoring titles = Gordie 6, Mario 6

Sure, Gordie's in the conversation.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2024, 06:57:08 PM »
It's tough to compare defenseman and goalies to centers/wings.  I'd probably go:

Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux
Howe
McDavid

*Hasek ( I think he's the best goalie ever).

McDavid is on pace to be #2 imo and I would slot him ahead of Crosby. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2024, 01:28:51 PM »