[Today at 06:45:43 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by mileskishnish72
[Today at 05:50:19 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by barfolomew
[Today at 05:19:49 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 10:43:34 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Feinstein Dead at 90  (Read 6313 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Feinstein Dead at 90
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2023, 04:30:07 PM »
I mean it’s objectively a huge joke and pandering bastardization of what should be done in that situation.  But at the same time, it’s the kind of shady grey area maneuvering the GOP has been fantastic at for a decade that the Dems haven’t been able to counter or refuse to.  So there’s that.

This really should the catalyst for the fracturing of the framework of the 2 party system and allow for more representative parties/candidates.  But we know that has 0% chance of happening

Not defending (or criticizing) this particular choice, because unlike 4ever - who no doubt has thoroughly researched this - I know very little about Laphonza Butler.
But why is it so often that when a black woman is chosen for something - vice president, Supreme Court, U.S. Senate, starring role in a Disney film,a hosting gig on a sports network - it's labeled as pandering?
Seems those complaints come with an underlying current of something.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2023, 04:49:54 PM »
Not defending (or criticizing) this particular choice, because unlike 4ever - who no doubt has thoroughly researched this - I know very little about Laphonza Butler.
But why is it so often that when a black woman is chosen for something - vice president, Supreme Court, U.S. Senate, starring role in a Disney film,a hosting gig on a sports network - it's labeled as pandering?
Seems those complaints come with an underlying current of something.

I have nothing to say about the other things you listed as I wasn’t referring to them, but overlooking a number of very qualified options right in California to select an African American lesbian from residing the country who never held or ran for political office (after specifically promising to appoint an African American woman) just feels pandering.

If he had selected Barbara Lee, or if Katie Porter was African American and selected, I wouldn’t think it was really pandering at all.

I tend to think if Butler was a white male appointed in the same scenario, over Lee and Porter, people would be losing their mind

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2023, 05:28:00 PM »
I have nothing to say about the other things you listed as I wasn’t referring to them, but overlooking a number of very qualified options right in California to select an African American lesbian from residing the country who never held or ran for political office (after specifically promising to appoint an African American woman) just feels pandering.

If he had selected Barbara Lee, or if Katie Porter was African American and selected, I wouldn’t think it was really pandering at all.

I tend to think if Butler was a white male appointed in the same scenario, over Lee and Porter, people would be losing their mind
Here's a thought:
The appointment of Butler has much less to do with pandering to a specific part of the electorate than it does with allowing Newsom to avoid playing favorites in the race to replace Feinstein, and thereby alienating the well-connected and well-heeled backers of Schiff, Porter and Lee. I suspect none are happy with the choice, but none can claim they were disadvantaged by it either.

Butler has not announced any intention to run, and as a little-known outsider with no real campaign experience, she would seem to have little chance against the already declared candidates.
So, Newsom avoids choosing sides and none of the leading candidates gets a leg up.

And anyone who thinks the U.S. Senate does anything differently over the next 14 months with Butler in office instead of Lee or Porter is mistaken.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 05:30:17 PM by Pakuni »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2023, 05:54:18 PM »
How 'bout the the best qualified person be appointed to these vacancies, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2023, 05:55:06 PM »

Why do you assume that's not the case when the appointee is a black woman?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2023, 05:57:31 PM »

Ah, so no one in government then.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2023, 05:59:57 PM »

Following his leader.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2023, 06:01:21 PM »

Dude, don't try to put words in my mouth. As Wags said, she's a little known outsider with no campaign experience, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2023, 06:01:27 PM »
Here's a thought:
The appointment of Butler has much less to do with pandering to a specific part of the electorate than it does with allowing Newsom to avoid playing favorites in the race to replace Feinstein, and thereby alienating the well-connected and well-heeled backers of Schiff, Porter and Lee. I suspect none are happy with the choice, but none can claim they were disadvantaged by it either.

Butler has not announced any intention to run, and as a little-known outsider with no real campaign experience, she would seem to have little chance against the already declared candidates.
So, Newsom avoids choosing sides and none of the leading candidates gets a leg up.

And anyone who thinks the U.S. Senate does anything differently over the next 14 months with Butler in office instead of Lee or Porter is mistaken.

He’s right ya know

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2023, 06:04:42 PM »
I mean it’s objectively a huge joke and pandering bastardization of what should be done in that situation.  But at the same time, it’s the kind of shady grey area maneuvering the GOP has been fantastic at for a decade that the Dems haven’t been able to counter or refuse to.  So there’s that.
We can certainly debate the propriety of it. Is that what we think 4ever is doing? Do we all recall how he was equally upset when Oz was running for PA and Walker was running for GA and they lived in NJ and TX respectively? Or how he is such a fierce opponent of the leader of the TN legislature that not only doesn't live in his district but actually charges taxpayers for expenses from the district he actually lives in? No?

No, he is just regurgitating the outrage de jure that Fox has been peddling. You always know what Fox is telling its viewers to be angry about on any given day by the seemingly random inputs here from that contingent. Biden's dog! Hunter's laptop! Biden didn't wear socks!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2023, 06:05:25 PM »

Dude, don't try to put words in my mouth. As Wags said, she's a little known outsider with no campaign experience, hey?

So was Trump.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2023, 06:07:47 PM »
Some men choose not to wear socks. Unfortunately, da Buffoon doesn't know whether he's wearin' socks or not, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2023, 06:08:11 PM »

Actually, I said that. Though I'm not sure why her lack of campaign experience makes her less qualified. Explain further.
I didn't see you raise concerns about Amy Coney Barrett's lack of judicial experience and wondering why a more qualified person wasn't selected.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2023, 06:13:32 PM »
We can certainly debate the propriety of it. Is that what we think 4ever is doing? Do we all recall how he was equally upset when Oz was running for PA and Walker was running for GA and they lived in NJ and TX respectively? Or how he is such a fierce opponent of the leader of the TN legislature that not only doesn't live in his district but actually charges taxpayers for expenses from the district he actually lives in? No?

No, he is just regurgitating the outrage de jure that Fox has been peddling. You always know what Fox is telling its viewers to be angry about on any given day by the seemingly random inputs here from that contingent. Biden's dog! Hunter's laptop! Biden didn't wear socks!

I get your point.  And I don’t disagree with Pakuni’s general point about the political strategy.  Though you can certainly pander/placate with a placeholder.   There has been ample discussion criticizing NFL owners doing that with interim/fall guy HC appointments/hires.

I’m not outraged. Politics is gross and slimy and you can never run out of activities in the grey that are pretty questionable. It is what it is.  I was more pushing back at the idea that you have to have some issue with selection or promotion of African American women to highlight this.  But without a doubt there are plenty and plenty of people outraged and screaming about this on social media who couldn’t articulate 2 sentences as to what about it is improper or questionable

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 04, 2023, 06:13:52 PM »
To the victor go the spoils, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2023, 06:22:01 PM »
I get your point.  And I don’t disagree with Pakuni’s general point about the political strategy.  Though you can certainly pander/placate with a placeholder.   There has been ample discussion criticizing NFL owners doing that with interim/fall guy HC appointments/hires.

I’m not outraged. Politics is gross and slimy and you can never run out of activities in the grey that are pretty questionable. It is what it is.  I was more pushing back at the idea that you have to have some issue with selection or promotion of African American women to highlight this.  But without a doubt there are plenty and plenty of people outraged and screaming about this on social media who couldn’t articulate 2 sentences as to what about it is improper or questionable

I mostly agree with you, I think it is very fair to debate the choice on the merits. I do agree with Newsom's the idea of not nominating one of the three leading candidates so as to stay impartial.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2023, 06:32:18 PM »
Jim Jordan wants the job.

Pathological liar. Election denier. Worships the ground that the 91-felony criminal defendant walks on. Radical wingnut. As Ohio State assistant wrestling coach, looked the other way as athletes he coached were getting sexually abused by the team doctor.

Sounds like a choice even Matt Gaetz would love.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2023, 06:47:11 PM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2023, 06:53:49 PM »
Trump was little known?

He had no campaign experience.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2023, 06:55:29 PM »
He had no campaign experience.
Thats different than being little known. I think everyone knew what a fraud he was beforehand.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2023, 07:23:04 PM »
Jim Jordan wants the job.

Pathological liar. Election denier. Worships the ground that the 91-felony criminal defendant walks on. Radical wingnut. As Ohio State assistant wrestling coach, looked the other way as athletes he coached were getting sexually abused by the team doctor.

Sounds like a choice even Matt Gaetz would love.

Is this considered politics?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2023, 07:45:51 PM »
Is this considered politics?

Sure. And it’s the first political post in this thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2023, 07:53:19 PM »
Sure. And it’s the first political post in this thread.

Of course it’s not but you (and Smith) take things to another level. I gave up on him long ago. You? Never.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2023, 08:09:55 PM »
Some men choose not to wear socks. Unfortunately, da Buffoon doesn't know whether he's wearin' socks or not, aina?

It happens to men his size that he can't see his ankles anymore. Plus the orange hue on his collar as he looks down would be unappetizing. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2023, 08:21:26 PM »
Thats different than being little known. I think everyone knew what a fraud he was beforehand.

So you’re saying that 60 - 70 million Rs were openly searching for a fraud?  I would agree with that.

feedback