Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NYC Hotels  (Read 5221 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: NYC Hotels
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2023, 01:39:20 PM »
Staying at the Downtown Marriott for a weekend. As noted upthread, cheapest for the weekend.
But are there recommendations for the area? Food? Kids like chinese.  Obviously the trade center museum, but anything else in the area to see.

How old are the kids?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2023, 02:14:27 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »
Teens, 17/19.

Maybe they'd like a well-chosen Broadway or Off-Broadway play? Can't get more "New York" than that. Eat at one of the famous delis. Go up into the Empire State Building; it's touristy but still pretty cool - and hey, you're tourists!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 03:35:41 PM »
Staying at the Downtown Marriott for a weekend. As noted upthread, cheapest for the weekend.
But are there recommendations for the area? Food? Kids like chinese.  Obviously the trade center museum, but anything else in the area to see.

Wadesworld mentioned the Staten Island Ferry. And how you do it is exactly as mentioned. Pick time of day and weather for your views. Also mentioned was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge.

I now see the kids are teens. So maybe forget the playground stuff but the places below are still good for teens. These are just the ones in lower Manhattan.

I would add:

1) Walk the High Line (free) and stop by Chelsea Market while there. The Southern entrance is at the Whitney Museum of American Art. This is going to be 10th Ave (all the way West by the water) and Gavensvoort. There are 3 streets in between 12th street and 13th street. From your hotel if you are on Albany, this is a straight shot North.

2) Chelsea Market will be about 3 blocks North of this in between 15th and 16th street. Many others will be doing the same thing. Everyone has favorite Bagel spot or 10. I recommend Brooklyn Bagel, which is at 25th st and 8th Ave. There is a Liberty Bagels in the Financial District right by your hotel on 32 Broadway. You can start your days here.

3) Washington Square Park/Greenwich Village/West Village. There’s a John’s Pizza (whole pie only) at 7th Ave and Bleecker). This is roughly 12 blocks South of the Southern entrance to the High Line, and a few avenues over. So this would be more central or northeast of your hotel. Just below 8th street and 5th Avenue.

Prince Street pizza will 3rd Ave and Prince Street. 2 blocks East of Mulberry St. I could give you a dozen pizza recs near there slice or whole pie.

4) Battery Park is a good place to relax a bit with kids. Green spaces, playgrounds etc….do this for sure. A good time to do it is when you are doing the Staten Island Ferry.

5)  South Street Seaport for young kids. This is near the Brooklyn Bridge so go there when you are on the far East side.

6) Statue of Liberty.

7) One World Observatory, Freedom Tower.

8) Chinese food. I’d hate to steer you wrong here. It’s a bit all over the place.

There are several museums and historical things if that’s part of your interest.

Don’t be afraid to take the bus East/West or the Subway N/S in your geography, but also, uptown.

Those are some starters in and near your neighborhood.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 03:37:51 PM by shoothoops »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2023, 08:20:21 PM »
All good recs above.  IMO, don't go out to the statue of liberty.  It's just a big ass statue.  Your kids are college(ish) age.  They MIGHT really like Washington Square park...

Also, IMO, don't go to the top of the Empire State building.  Do the Top of the Rock instead.  Much better views of downtown and the park.

I know a lot of people recommend the WTC stuff, but I can't do it.  Feels wrongish to me, and I get nothing from it.

Instead of Chinese, go to korea town and get korean bbq and thank me later.  Chinese can be very hit and miss as shooty said.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2023, 08:55:42 PM »
All good recs above.  IMO, don't go out to the statue of liberty.  It's just a big ass statue.  Your kids are college(ish) age.  They MIGHT really like Washington Square park...

Also, IMO, don't go to the top of the Empire State building.  Do the Top of the Rock instead.  Much better views of downtown and the park.

I know a lot of people recommend the WTC stuff, but I can't do it.  Feels wrongish to me, and I get nothing from it.

Instead of Chinese, go to korea town and get korean bbq and thank me later.  Chinese can be very hit and miss as shooty said.

Yep. I think time would also be an issue with Statue of Lberty. If he only has a weekend, that would take up some time.

Another thing I recommend is to find out ahead of time what is going on the weekend of the event. Example: When people visit Labor Day Weekend, I'll take them to.a stop at Brasilian Day at 6th Ave and 42-46th. Little Brazil for sure. Maybe hit up a block party festival flea market place on the West Side. Or maybe the West Indian day parade in Queens etc....you're combing local events with other sites of things to see or do or eat. Like a show or concert or game the Open tennis is that weekend etc....always good to have a mix.

Knowing the dates of travel and knowing what's going on locally is good too.

He asked for things near where he is staying. So that's what I gave him. But lots of people stay where he is staying amd simply take the train back there at the end of the night after going all over all day. They don't need to feel locked in to that area. That opens it up to all of Manhattan and other areas.

But it does help to have certain staples near your hotel like a good bagel and coffee place, etc...

If it were me, I would probably skip some of the WTC stuff but that's just me. Some get something out of it and some don't. My reasons are personal that I don't go there often.

Once he opens it up to other geographies and he has the dates of travel, that will.also open it up to more things and places.

I do prefer Top of the Rock for high floor views in NYC. I believe cost is $40 a.person. and you can stay and hang out with the tours adter you and not feel rushed. But again I just started with his hotel geography. You can combine Central Park with Top of the Rock or Bryant Park, etc...it helps to combine things within close geographies.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 09:10:27 PM by shoothoops »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2023, 09:14:32 PM »
Central Park is always a must for me as well.

I think the WTC is a must each trip, but the museum is heavy so I’ve only done that twice. The pools are incredibly well done.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2023, 11:30:20 PM »
Since several folks mentioned observation decks, Edge NYC atop 30 Hudson Yards right across from the Courtyard by Marriott Porky recommended is the newest and sleekest observation deck in the city.  Full disclosure Porky also works in that building.

https://www.edgenyc.com/en

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2023, 11:40:45 PM »
Since several folks mentioned observation decks, Edge NYC atop 30 Hudson Yards right across from the Courtyard by Marriott Porky recommended is the newest and sleekest observation deck in the city.  Full disclosure Porky also works in that building.

https://www.edgenyc.com/en

If the walls had eyes inside that courtyard porky…

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2023, 08:55:36 AM »
Central Park is always a must for me as well.

I think the WTC is a must each trip, but the museum is heavy so I’ve only done that twice. The pools are incredibly well done.
[/color]

.... and another 15000 Americans died in Afghanistan and Iraq to supposedly bring justice to those who caused all these deaths. Where is their memorial?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2023, 12:30:42 PM »
[/color]

.... and another 15000 Americans died in Afghanistan and Iraq to supposedly bring justice to those who caused all these deaths. Where is their memorial?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/12/16/congress-gives-thumbs-global-war-terrorism-memorial-prime-spot-national-mall.html/amp

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2023, 03:04:09 PM »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2023, 07:57:41 PM »
Great recs all. Kids have been twice, so a couple things are out as they have been there done that. But they were younger, so a second visit is good for some.
Love the Korean restaurant suggestion. They will love that. Same with Hudson viewing. They’ve done 30 Rock, so Hudson makes sense.
Highline would be a revisit but again probably better appreciated at this age!
Any hole in the wall places?
First weekend in November btw.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2023, 11:52:02 AM »
Great recs all. Kids have been twice, so a couple things are out as they have been there done that. But they were younger, so a second visit is good for some.
Love the Korean restaurant suggestion. They will love that. Same with Hudson viewing. They’ve done 30 Rock, so Hudson makes sense.

Are you going for the marathon? Or is that just a coincidence? It’s worth seeing even if you’re not. Marathon route is 1st Ave and Central Park. You can watch along the route or you can avoid the area. Central Park itself is not a bad place to be as it is where it ends as it winds back down through the East Side of the Park.

It will be crowded. You won’t have to worry about getting around in other parts of town if you want to avoid it.

I’m assuming non dive bars with teens.

Fraunces Tavern has a lot of historical charm. Hit and miss meals but it is popular and close to you.

Some of the dive/cheaper places I like for Asian and some other types are in Flushing, which is out of the way a bit. Arepa Lady is good in Jackson Heights too.

So, a bit closer to you…..

Johny’s Luncheonette is an old school diner at 25th between 6th and 7th.

Cafe Cubana is one block West of 3rd Avenue/Bowery at Prince Street.

Halal Guys

Los Tacos #1

7th Street Burger East and West Village locations.

There’s a Japanese place called Kuu Ramen on John Street just East of Broadway. Wall Street area.

Little Kirin makes very good Asian sandwiches. Fun place. 1st Ave and 8th street. East Village.

Joe’s Steam Rice Roll for Chinese has a Canal street location. Ban h Mi Saigon for Vietnamese.

There are many other choices in Chinatown, Lower East Side, East Village as well for Manhattan Asian food. Since it seems to be big with your kids, just go to those areas and choose from many.

……………….

New York Botanical Garden Fall Forest Weekend in the Bronx. Stop by Central Park too. Maybe for the Marathon.

Indigo Girls are playing Capitol Theatre on that Friday night, early show. It’s a benefit show so it will be pricey. Pink is playing MSG two nights.Comedy Festival various locations. Multiple NHL and NBA games that weekend. Broadway and Off Broadway shows

Bryant Park will ave its ice skating and Winter Festival stuff going. 42nd street. It would be good if you have already done Rockefeller Center.

Balloon Museum, Pier 36 Seaport. It’s a pop up museum that had successful runs in Europe. Inside/Outside, interactive. 80k square feet. This might be pretty cool for your teens. Maybe look into this one.

I also know a guy that does 2, 4, 6 hour walking tours where you get to dictate your tour. He’s legit, etc and I can give you the website etc….he’s a licensed professional tour guide professional photographer. If that’s an option.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 12:06:19 PM by shoothoops »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2023, 12:02:02 PM »
Deux Amis 356 East 51st. French Bistro with quality food.

https://deuxamisnyc.com/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 09:40:42 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2023, 03:31:07 PM »
Deux Amis 356 East 51st. French Bistro with quality food.

Porky seconds Herman's recommendation of Deux Amis.   Solid Spot!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. Am not going for the marathon but will check it out!
That last restaurant suggestion looks great and really good prices too!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2023, 06:24:45 PM »
Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. Am not going for the marathon but will check it out!
That last restaurant suggestion looks great and really good prices too!

New beach opened today at Hudson River Park. 12th street, below Little Island. You could also stop by The Press Lounge Rooftop 47/48th street betwen 11th and 12th Ave.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2023, 09:00:50 AM »
There had been lots of great suggestions made here that I agree with and I don't need to rehash.

Japanese food was mentioned and this is my family's favorite one.  My 22 & 20 year old daughters love this restaurant and it's their favorite place to eat Japanese food anywhere.

Restaurant Nippon
https://www.restaurantnippon.com/

It's one of the oldest Japanese restaurants in NYC.  It's on 52nd & Lexington sort of near Rockefeller Center and Grand Central.
I can tell you that the Japanese Prime Minister and other Japanese politicians eat here when in town.  Novak Djokovic always eats here as well during the US Open.  Michael Jackson used to eat here and was a friend of the owner.  Retired New York Yankee, Hideki Matsui, ate here so often they added his mother Japanese Curry recipe to the menu since they used to make for him per his request.  It's casual dining also.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2023, 11:54:07 AM »
Some advice from a guy who's been visiting New York, like, forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxc1zvutAI

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2023, 01:57:05 PM »
If possible get to Emilio’s Ballato in NoLita. Top 10 Restaurant in the City. On East Houston near Mulberry.

Only con is it is extremely small and they take no reservations. People literally line up on the sidewalk. Well worth the wait.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2023, 02:55:30 PM »

https://www.jongrobbqny.com/  Specifically.  Get reservations.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2023, 09:16:40 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. As typical with teens and NYC not enough time to do everything.
We stayed at the Marriott Downtown. While not close to the Garden, the weekend rates are good and it is a straight shot up the 1 line to get to the Garden. Not a bad option.
Also, for those going, public transit has a new tap and go payment plan, where you just tap your card. In a week, it stops charging you after 12 rides. https://omny.info/
Pre-register your mobile device or CC. While multiple people can use one card, only get the 12 credit for one person on a trip if there are multiple people using the same card for the same trip. So we did a card a person.

Friday, the flights in were delayed, so dinner was the only option. We did dimsum in Chinatown at Shanghai 21. Delicious. Long wait, but worth it.
Saturday, since the noontime event was at Chelsea Piers, we did the Edge, and Little Island, as well as Gansevoort Beach.
From there, they did the market at Bryant Park, then saw The Shark Is Broken. Waited at stage door to meet the playwright and star. They did dinner at
Sunday, ramen lunch at Kuu Ramen near the hotel. Thanks for the recommendation. It was great. Line to get in when we left. 
Visited 9/11 memorial and explored the Oculus. They got a late start and the event happened early, so that was about it for the day.
Monday was just Central Park with close friends, as my son loves nature and they both love dogs. Got to see the remnants of the marathon. We saw marathon participants everywhere. They thought that was pretty cool.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Wanted to do more, but ran out of time. The big regret was missing out on the Korean BBQ. Looked delicious.

Oh and on Friday, we did get to witness real life ghost busters happenings in NYC as it was right behind the hotel. It was going viral and we were like, hey, we just walked by that!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 09:21:13 AM by pbiflyer »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2023, 09:42:52 AM »
Mmm, raw sewage smells!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2023, 10:05:57 AM »
The Renaissance Midtown West is on 35th St. between 7th and 8th Aves.  It was very nice and only two blocks from The Garden.