Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NYC Hotels  (Read 5232 times)

sailwi

• All American
NYC Hotels
« on: September 14, 2023, 06:07:51 PM »
What Marriott properties does anyone recommend for BET.  I did a search on Scoop and  the Westin came up as a recommended but current price is 650 a night. Looking to book and have a placeholder for March. TIA

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
Re: NYC Hotels
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 10:00:50 PM »
Sheraton NY Times Square at 7th Avenue & 53rd.  It’s located at the northern end of Time square and a short walk from Central Park. It’s a reasonable cab ride to MSG and also close to he subway that’ll get you down there in a few minutes.  Much better area than that around MSG.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 11:27:41 PM »
What Marriott properties does anyone recommend for BET.  I did a search on Scoop and  the Westin came up as a recommended but current price is 650 a night. Looking to book and have a placeholder for March. TIA

We did Westin at Times Square this year. Good experience… I think it was around $200 a night plus $30 daily charge that could be used at the bar (can get to-go drinks)

Target is across the street, which is very convenient. Nice little stroll to MSG
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 09:03:01 AM »
Sheraton Tribeca.  Easy subway ride to MSG.  Away from Midtown and next to Soho.  Easy walk to lots of good restaurants.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 09:23:16 AM »
Sheraton NY Times Square at 7th Avenue & 53rd.  It’s located at the northern end of Time square and a short walk from Central Park. It’s a reasonable cab ride to MSG and also close to he subway that’ll get you down there in a few minutes.  Much better area than that around MSG.

I'm a big fan of this place too.  It's north enough of Times Square that crossing to the "eastside" is easier.  Yes the Westin is closer to MSG but being a block off of Times Square makes going east for anything a pain.  Plus an easy stroll to Central Park.  Plus its a quick walk to the subway for MSG.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 12:44:53 PM »
I'm a big fan of this place too.  It's north enough of Times Square that crossing to the "eastside" is easier.  Yes the Westin is closer to MSG but being a block off of Times Square makes going east for anything a pain.  Plus an easy stroll to Central Park.  Plus its a quick walk to the subway for MSG.
It is also a very large hotel with a lot of rooms . Lots of good restaurants nearby.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 07:48:20 PM »
Sheraton Tribeca.  Easy subway ride to MSG.  Away from Midtown and next to Soho.  Easy walk to lots of good restaurants.

This is the best option offered in this thread. Strongly recommend avoiding midtown. Lower Manhattan (especially the west side) and even northwest Brooklyn are still very easy commutes to MSG, while also being cheaper and far better located.

And a PSA: consider booking your hotels early. With NYC’s recent (very good) ban on short-term AirBnBs, hotel prices could rise considerably by this winter/spring.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 07:50:36 PM by Tyler COLEk »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 07:59:10 PM »
Money ain’t no expense, baby
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 09:40:09 PM »
We stayed in Midtown East near Grand Central/United Nations.

Reasonable price by New York standards, easy to get to MSG.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »

Sort of a janky area there on Canal street.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 12:58:53 PM »
Sort of a janky area there on Canal street.

A thread full of midtown hotels and the Canal Street option is the "janky area"?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »
A thread full of midtown hotels and the Canal Street option is the "janky area"?

If you have been or lived in NYC you would know.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 06:22:45 AM »
I love the comments where people say, "lots of great restaurants nearby".  Well yeah, of course.  It's NYC.  There is good food everywhere and a lot of options... in a small area.  IMO, you can stay anywhere on Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn and get great food within a five minute walk.  I'd venture a guess that Staten Island and the Bronx are probably the same, but I can't speak to that since I've never been to SI outside the ferry and Bronx outside a walk to Yankee Stadium.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 11:55:13 AM »

The answers are already all over the place. Much of it depends on what you are seeking specifically for your trip. Best price/value? Hotel type? Location? Size? There are many from which to choose. If you are an infrequent traveler there, and price seems to be part of the equation, just go with the best value and limit the search to Manhattan (which is still a ton of places)

Some people will steer you here or there for different personal preferences as opposed to what you are seeking.

Weekend prices and deals generally speaking will steer towards the Financial District and Midtown East as those areas have a lot of business travelers and more weekend availability.

Chelsea and its neighboring areas are more neighborhood feel and walkable (if you are able) to MSG

Midtown West will have a lot of inventory and will be tourist and family oriented in some regards etc….

I usually recommend that people try to stay in a different neighborhood or geography each time they visit.

Most places will be fine in regards to quality and location within Manhattan. So just pick a place you think you might like combining/amenities/value/location, transportation etc…

You really can’t go too wrong.

Let me know when you narrow it down.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 12:28:23 PM »
Agreed.  I've stayed in Midtown West, Chelsea, Chinatown (twice), Financial, and HK.  All different experiences, all fine.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 08:43:36 AM »
Having stayed at many marriott properties in Manhattan during the period my son went to Fordham, we kept going back to the Residence inn Central Park on 53rd and broadway.  Usually the biggest rooms and the cheapest price yet breakfast is included.  Not exactly close to the garden but still walkable or take the subway.
Most of Marriot's former "full service" properties have declined substantially recently in terms of service and quality.  Marriott has all but entirely dropped the brand standards for Westin, Sheraton, Marriott, and Le Meridien... and even Ritz Carlton.  If you want nice service the only choice is JW marriott... but the only JW in Manhattan is the Essex House which has tiny rooms, and is really nothing special for the money. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 10:03:54 AM »
Been staying at the Kimpton the last few Big East tournament. Great service as well as location. Not the biggest rooms, but it is Manhattan after all. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 10:07:15 AM »
Staying at the Downtown Marriott for a weekend. As noted upthread, cheapest for the weekend.
But are there recommendations for the area? Food? Kids like chinese.  Obviously the trade center museum, but anything else in the area to see.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 11:19:28 AM »
If you have been or lived in NYC you would know.

I’ve lived in NYC my entire adult life. You’re a biennial tourist afraid of the fish smell in Chinatown.

Anybody who thinks Canal St is “janky” relative to midtown is telling on themselves.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:24:34 AM by Tyler COLEk »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2023, 11:32:27 AM »
Staying at the Downtown Marriott for a weekend. As noted upthread, cheapest for the weekend.
But are there recommendations for the area? Food? Kids like chinese.  Obviously the trade center museum, but anything else in the area to see.

Though not the tallest building any more in the city, the Empire State Building is on 34th street not far from the Garden and the view of the city from either the 86th floor or the 102nd floor are both breath taking. Not to many people know that in 1945 a B25 crashed into the building killing 3 crewman and 11 civilians.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2023, 11:41:13 AM »
Porky advises avoiding Times Square like the plague.   A new Courtyard opened in late 2019 or 2020 just across the street from Porky's office at Hudson Yards which is a relatively new development.  It's very far west so a bit off the beaten path, but right across the street from The Shops at Hudson Yards luxury mall and at most a 10 min walk to MSG straight down 34th st. You can see MSG from some rooms on the high floors there.  Links to the Shops at Hudson Yards and the hotel itself below:

https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/shop

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/nycjj-courtyard-new-york-manhattan-midtown-west/overview/

It's a much newer and nicer property than most of the other Marriotts in the city, and that area has improved tremendously over the past couple of years with all of the new development. 

Porky has stayed here several times when working late evenings and it checks the boxes.   It's not super luxurious by any means but perfectly fine.   If the rate is within reason Porky advises to book it now.

Feel free to DM Porky if you have any other questions.  Good Luck!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »

Depending on how old the kids are and what the weather is like, I've taken the Staten Island Ferry (just hop on it for free and then head right back to catch the next ferry back to Manhattan, it's my favorite view of NY along with walking from Brooklyn into Manhattan on the Brooklyn Bridge...would recommend walking the Brooklyn Bridge as well) and then walked from the Ferry to One World Trade Center/the 9/11 Museum.  It's about a half hour walk.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »
Porky advises avoiding Times Square like the plague.   

I think anyone who has spent significant time in NYC would second this.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2023, 11:45:27 AM »
Follow up to Porky's original post.  If you click on the link to the Courtyard property Porky suggested, you can see MSG in the lower left hand corner in the picture from the window of the room they chose to feature a photo of.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/nycjj-courtyard-new-york-manhattan-midtown-west/overview/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 11:56:26 AM by PorkysButthole »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2023, 11:46:34 AM »

You won't be disappointed with any of the tours at the tenement museum in the lower east side.   Plus China town - i'll let others recommend specific restaurants.