collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Raccoon Problems  (Read 1863 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Raccoon Problems
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2023, 08:32:41 PM »
Poison would be much crueler than drowning. At least drowning is quick. Organs shutting down in people or animals is a horrible way to go.
I guess I don’t know. Drowning seems worse to me but no way of knowing.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2023, 09:29:11 AM »
I guess I don’t know. Drowning seems worse to me but no way of knowing.

When we had horses, a huge black snake got onto the stable and the horses freaked out Big Time. They refused to go back in, even after a quite a while. I believe this is instinctive in horses- they are very scared of snakes.

So, I got a hold of the snake with long handled pruning shears, with just enough tension to hold it, and drowned it in a garbage can of water. I had to calm the horses down and lead them into the stable, where they very nervously checked it out for the snake. I did not like having to kill the snake, but it would have returned repeatedly as all stables have mice, either from grain remnants or as a place to nest in the hay bales. It was over quickly. Maybe we should have gotten a "barn cat" from SPCA -one that will not live in a house but is very happy living in a stable and getting supplemental food if the mice supply is not adequate.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2023, 09:47:39 AM »
I find it amusing that ya'll differentiate the ways of murdering a racoon (or any other rodent).

Either you're a racoon murderer or not, get over yourselves.

(I'm a "cruel" mouse murderer...but those sticky traps work best)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2023, 10:37:02 AM »
I find it amusing that ya'll differentiate the ways of murdering a racoon (or any other rodent).

This makes zero sense to me.  You don't think there is any value in reducing the animal's pre-death suffering as much as possible?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2023, 10:39:39 AM »

I stick to the classic mouse trap.  I stopped using the glue traps because I got tired of carrying the whole trap outside with a mouse stuck to it and having to take a shovel to him to put out of his misery.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2023, 10:42:04 AM »
This makes zero sense to me.  You don't think there is any value in reducing the animal's pre-death suffering as much as possible?

Nope. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2023, 10:44:50 AM »
Nope.

I am unable to get out of my own brain enough to understand how someone would reach that conclusion.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2023, 11:15:04 AM »
I am unable to get out of my own brain enough to understand how someone would reach that conclusion.

Last I'll say and you can continue judging me...

When it comes to pests, I will always choose the most effective way of removal over "how does the pest feel".  Perhaps this is because I live on a couple acres with hundreds of acres of public land around me.

I don't have time or patience for nuisance pests, if a "humane" murder is equally effective, sure, that's good.  But in the specific instance of mouse snap traps, they have proven to be better mouse feeders than catchers - just propagating the problem.  Poison and sticky traps work best.  Though, with poison they're just likely die somewhere in my walls.  I did just setup a tomcat tunnel with rat snap traps to take care of some ground squirrels that have been destroying my yard. 

But I'm not gonna judge someone if they want to drown a racoon.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2023, 11:28:33 AM »

When it comes to pests, I will always choose the most effective way of removal over "how does the pest feel".
  Perhaps this is because I live on a couple acres with hundreds of acres of public land around me.

I don't have time or patience for nuisance pests, if a "humane" murder is equally effective, sure, that's good.  But in the specific instance of mouse snap traps, they have proven to be better mouse feeders than catchers - just propagating the problem.  Poison and sticky traps work best.  Though, with poison they're just likely die somewhere in my walls.  I did just setup a tomcat tunnel with rat snap traps to take care of some ground squirrels that have been destroying my yard. 

Scoopers who get sent on a vacation alteady know that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2023, 11:51:00 AM »

When it comes to pests, I will always choose the most effective way of removal over "how does the pest feel".  Perhaps this is because I live on a couple acres with hundreds of acres of public land around me.

FW(probably little)IW, I think you're playing the other players and not the cards here. I.e., you're letting your distaste of being judged and the hypocrisy of judgmental people create false ambiguity about animal suffering and pest eradication effectiveness. 

Poison fracks up the food chain and is pretty objectively the worst option. Taking price, suffering, and effectiveness together, covered traps seem (to me) a small price to pay to not have mice try to gnaw their own legs off or dehydrate to death in a glue trap. By the time you've got a live raccoon in trap, for (again to me) a small bit of inconvenience, there are better options than sticking it in a bag and drowning it. 

I killed two mice with snap traps just last night. I'm not here to judge you. The worst thing for animal welfare is the way people try to convice other people to care about animal welfare.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »

What if it were a person, or a dog?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2023, 02:53:11 PM »
Taking price, suffering, and effectiveness together, covered traps seem (to me) a small price to pay to not have mice try to gnaw their own legs off or dehydrate to death in a glue trap.

Earlier this year I trapped a mouse  in a snap trap and my pantry floor looked like a damn crime scene. Ugh.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2023, 03:29:48 PM »
Earlier this year I trapped a mouse  in a snap trap and my pantry floor looked like a damn crime scene. Ugh.

Ahem, I had two traps set up and after a weekend away they were both tripped... one of them there was a ton of carnage... half eaten mouse from god knows what.  I proceeded to check the other trap and as I turned on the light to the room there was one mouse on the trap and the other right next to it.  Initially I felt bad for the mouse since I thought maybe he was just saying goodbye to his friend.  Well that wasn't the case.  He was slowly EATING HIS FRIENDS EFFING FACE OFF.

He scampered away immediately, but I got him the next day on a trap.  Nature is pretty gnarly man.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2023, 03:50:05 PM »
Any one here ever had any raccoon problems and if so how’d you get rid of them? I have a detached garage and there’s definitely one or more of those bastards living above it. This happened a year or so ago too and I called a company who came out and caught one and I got to keep the trap but I’m looking for other suggestions rather than the basic trap.

Hoping someone can help because these f*ckers are annoying. Thanks in advance

I tried trap, luring out w/ food, blasting music, even poking it with a rake to drive him out.  In the end, the only thing that worked was a leaf blower blasted at it that made it run out.  I closed up all the doors and any access point and it never came back!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2023, 04:54:08 PM »

In my defense, I did just watch GOTG 3 a couple nights ago.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »

You should judge others, since you were named after a raccoon.

feedback