'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Important MU Recruits Ever  (Read 5182 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Most Important MU Recruits Ever
« on: August 08, 2023, 03:58:46 PM »
It seems like every 4/5 we are recruiting mentions how MU uses Oso as being one of the most attractive things about MU lately.  This got me thinking about who the most important recruits ever have been at MU.  The obvious answer in my lifetime is Wade.  I wasn't old enough to remember much prior to that, but since then I think Oso might turn out to be our most important recruit ever.  Him sticking around after the coaching change is paying dividends obviously on the past 2 teams plus this year and possibly next year, but it will be paying dividends in who it will attract going forward.  I think Shaka would have success here regardless, but him being able to point at Oso as proof of concept has been a huge benefit on the recruiting front.

Which is wild to think about because he didn't show much early in his freshman year, got thrown into action due to injuries later in the season and showed he could at least be competitive, but I don't think anybody saw him turning into a major playmaker for us offensively.  His development has been incredible to see.

So off of that, who have been the most important recruits to land at Marquette?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Most Important MU Recruits Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 04:11:00 PM »
James/McNeal/Matthews was a turning point class.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 04:11:13 PM »
The 90 class. If we take everyone at their word that MU was considering dropping bball then Mac's class saved the day and built the foundation Miller, Crawford Mckaskill all continued for a few years. Sure we took a big step back 98-01 but at least we had 5yrs of proof you could still win at MU.

The 3 amigos were massive for stepping up to the Big East after a post FF step back.

Markus Howard was big because if it weren't for him we'd have had absolutely unwatchable basketball under Wojo, at least with Howard there was a chance of seeing something historic.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 04:11:25 PM »
I believe most older fans such as myself would say George Thompson in1965. It was the McGuire signing of Thompson out of Brooklyn from which everything else, and I mean everything, flowed for the next 15 years. Even beyond.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 04:20:59 PM »
Actually screw it it was Terry Rand. Without him does MU Hoops ever even start?
Maigh Eo for Sam

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 05:17:21 PM »
Joey Hauser… without him Wojo might still be here.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 05:22:08 PM »
Robbie/Big Mac/Damon Key

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 05:34:49 PM »
I believe most older fans such as myself would say George Thompson in1965. It was the McGuire signing of Thompson out of Brooklyn from which everything else, and I mean everything, flowed for the next 15 years. Even beyond.

Ding. Ding.

Absolutely the most important recruit in MU history.

dyckesville

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 05:39:02 PM »
I agree with George Thompson, without him we wouldn't get to our first NIT championship game, which led to Jim Chones recruitment and some of the best recruiting years.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 06:04:32 PM »
1. George Thompson
2. Dean Meminger
3. Bo Ellis
4. Earl Tatum
5. Butch Lee
6. Jerel, Wesley, Dominic and Burke

George was first and got it all going. Dean was a 4 time All-City in NYC—Lew Alcindor only other 4x. Bo was what would have been a 5 star and led us to 2 NCAA Championship games. William Earl Tatum was also what would have been a 5 star and one of the best in New York metro area on a loaded team. Butch was also the best player in NYC and a 5 star. The amigos and Burke was an incredible haul—great players and great reps of MU. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 06:13:10 PM »
The next one.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 06:22:44 PM »
George Thompson was the key to everything. His reputation was big coming in and he exceeded it when he got to MU. The stream of 5 star type recruits followed  which led to a Natty.

Earl Tatum and Doc Rivers were the two most celebrated recruits . Both were considered ,by some , to be the top players in their recruiting class.

Tatum backed his rep up on the court and patiently waited through Al’s Senior are The Stars system.

Docs recruitment was highly publicized in The Chicago press and National Media. Unfortunately Doc had to play for Hank.

Wade restored MU to being in the National Conversation . That unleashed many years of prosperity until MU was stymied by Wojo
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 06:25:25 PM »
As much as I agree that George and Dean got it started, but the next step in recruiting was recruiting bigs and they got Jim Chones, then McNeil, Lucas, Whitehead, those were all aircraft carriers. Top 10 for 8 straight years.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2023, 06:27:07 PM »
The next one.

Yep. I was looking for this. The best recruit is always the next one.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2023, 06:35:44 PM »
Biggest single recruit?  Wade

But, the class w / Mac, Key and Logterman ( w / KO ) may have saved hoops at MU

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2023, 06:46:38 PM »
Biggest missed recruit? Jeenathan Williams('s neck)

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2023, 06:55:18 PM »
Ledaryl Billingsley:
Committed to MU and then went to Tulane

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
George Thompson was the key to everything. His reputation was big coming in and he exceeded it when he got to MU. The stream of 5 star type recruits followed  which led to a Natty.

Earl Tatum and Doc Rivers were the two most celebrated recruits . Both were considered ,by some , to be the top players in their recruiting class.

Tatum backed his rep up on the court and patiently waited through Al’s Senior are The Stars system.

Docs recruitment was highly publicized in The Chicago press and National Media. Unfortunately Doc had to play for Hank.

Wade restored MU to being in the National Conversation . That unleashed many years of prosperity until MU was stymied by Wojo

Pretty sure that Bernard Toone was one of the highest rated recruit in Al’s tenure

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2023, 08:01:53 PM »
Post Al, KO’s class of local guys was the most important, IMO. It changed the program and gave life back to the program.

Most important to me is George Thompson and greatest is Wade. Biggest losses was missing out on the Chicago pipeline in ‘78, followed by Joe Wolfe.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 08:08:01 PM »
Wade helped. 

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 08:15:11 PM »
Joe Nethen?

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2023, 08:18:00 PM »
The 90 class. If we take everyone at their word that MU was considering dropping bball then Mac's class saved the day and built the foundation Miller, Crawford Mckaskill all continued for a few years. Sure we took a big step back 98-01 but at least we had 5yrs of proof you could still win at MU.

The 3 amigos were massive for stepping up to the Big East after a post FF step back.

Markus Howard was big because if it weren't for him we'd have had absolutely unwatchable basketball under Wojo, at least with Howard there was a chance of seeing something historic.

Great point about that 1990 class.  The program had hit a modern day low under Dukiet and this was the group that KO got back to the NCAA tournament with.  Charles Brakes was the fourth guy in that class but he transferred.  Mac, Key, and Robb brought the team back from the abyss.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2023, 08:23:22 PM »
Post Al, KO’s class of local guys was the most important, IMO. It changed the program and gave life back to the program.

Most important to me is George Thompson and greatest is Wade. Biggest losses was missing out on the Chicago pipeline in ‘78, followed by Joe Wolfe.

Goose, it might have been Scooter McCray, then you get Rodney the next year

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2023, 08:26:57 PM »
Anyone on here actually see George play?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2023, 08:31:22 PM »
Pretty sure that Bernard Toone was one of the highest rated recruit in Al’s tenure
Well written article in remembrance, he definitely was also very highly touted 

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2022/07/22/yonkers-remembers-bernard-toone-gorton-great-marquette-nba-player/65379920007/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire