collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I Promise School  (Read 4819 times)

panda

• All American
Re: I Promise School
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2023, 03:53:56 PM »
Maybe they consider math obsolete like cursive penmanship. 
We have electronic machines to do math these days.

They probably only teach flopping and how not to acquire the clutch gene

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2023, 04:02:39 PM »
Cursive is pointless. Math is not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2023, 04:16:47 PM »
How is it even possible for not a single kid to pass a math test in three years?

Lebron had a video scrubbed from the internet when some college kid dunked on him over the summer but can’t even keep this a secret?

Lebron runs the internet? I think I’ll text him and have him scrub every reference to trump.

Thanks for letting me know this!!

panda

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2023, 04:24:57 PM »
Lebron runs the internet? I think I’ll text him and have him scrub every reference to trump.

Thanks for letting me know this!!
It’s called controlling the narrating buddy.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/214316-kings-edict-james-gets-dunked-on-by-college-player-confiscates-video.amp.html

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2023, 10:34:56 PM »
But is math, math?

Of course, and standardized testing is they way we evaluate both the education system and it’s students. It’s really tough to see so much money seemingly not work. All I’m saying is perhaps the math test is both the wrong focus of the educators and the wrong metric for the student.

Candidly, both my sons went to Montessori school from 18 months through 8th grade. I saw what it did for them and for the other students there. It is private, and they attend/ed a private high school. I was a public school kid, my wife, Catholic only.

I’m all for public education, I’d rather it focus on what I think matters, developing learners, kids with integrity, kids who take a risk, who aren’t afraid to fail, who want to learn what they want to learn in a framework that does indeed teach math. I don’t think eliminating private education is the answer, but I appreciate the logic. We asked our boys every year if they’d like to stay in the school, they said yes every year. School should be fun, exploratory, maybe blocked three grades in one classroom a la Montessori to teach the younger kids to ask questions to the older, and the older to develop into leaders. Develop pride in themselves as young people.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2023, 10:38:45 PM »
Maybe they consider math obsolete like cursive penmanship. 
We have electronic machines to do math these days.

Montessori schools like my sons are adamant the kids learn cursive. There is a process that teaches focus, muscle memory, eye discipline and plain old discipline, eye hand coordination through fun exercises. I couldn’t count the number of days they did sandpaper letters and pin punch outs. It’s more than an obsolete writing/communication method.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2023, 07:05:19 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2023, 07:27:03 AM »
Florida's Education Governor has effectively banned AP Psychology from being taught in the state's high schools.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mollybohannon/2023/08/03/college-board-tells-florida-schools-not-to-teach-ap-psychology-after-state-deemed-key-topics-illegal/?sh=7e2f654f6181

florida has been ranked by many to be #1 in higher education including us news so my presumption is this is another attempt at a dig to the next biggest threat to your political ideology...fail

i doubt this will have any effect on whether or not one is choosing between berkeley and florida state
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2023, 07:29:50 AM »
  florida has been ranked by many to be #1 in higher education including us news so my presumption is this is another attempt at a dig to the next biggest threat to your political ideology...fail

i doubt this will have any effect on whether or not one is choosing between berkeley and florida state

I don’t want anyone choosing Florida State over Berkeley piloting my plane
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »

Not only do college rankings have little if anything to do with this, but those rankings were before the assault on Florida's K-12 education started - including the canceling of AP classes strictly due to culture-war issues.

And if you go to one of Florida's fine universities and insist in your U.S. History course that slavery wasn't all bad for Black people - as DeSantis Middle School wants to teach - it probably won't help your grade.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2023, 08:17:34 AM »
If the parents don't care about the child's education, there's no amount of money/resources you can throw at it that will make a difference.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2023, 08:35:57 AM »
They probably only teach flopping and how not to acquire the clutch gene

LOL.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2023, 09:21:54 AM »
You have to have some sort of standardized testing. I know most educators hate it, but it is the only way I know to measure teaching effectiveness against a standard. The standards exist to ensure students are ready for a life beyond school.

The reality is that, at some point, every student will pass out of the educational system and into the "real world." At that point, either you have "it" or you don't. If you don't have the skills and ability to function in a workplace, whether your education is high school, college or graduate school, you'll fail.

That's the grim reality, like it or not.

There's only so far any society can go to protect incompetence.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »

Florida universities are suffering a brain drain as faculty is leaving the state

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/30/florida-universities-colleges-faculty-leaving-desantis

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2023, 09:49:18 AM »
You have to have some sort of standardized testing. I know most educators hate it, but it is the only way I know to measure teaching effectiveness against a standard. The standards exist to ensure students are ready for a life beyond school.

The reality is that, at some point, every student will pass out of the educational system and into the "real world." At that point, either you have "it" or you don't. If you don't have the skills and ability to function in a workplace, whether your education is high school, college or graduate school, you'll fail.

Sure, but the objection is that the underlying assumption that standardized testing tests "it" assumes facts not in evidence.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2023, 10:22:58 AM »

Couldn’t disagree more. Change the standards. Not the level to achieve them, change what is important. Standardized math tests have no bearing on what it takes to “have it” or not. Keeping the same standards keeps things the same. Do we want to improve or not? A standardized math test does not teach compassion, empathy, integrity, discipline, motivation, confidence, respect, curiosity, critical thinking. It’s the regurgitation of what a small group of government workers think is the easiest way to manage the system. It is the absolute lowest, easiest, most detrimental choice.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2023, 10:55:43 AM »
I look forward to your draft of a new standardized math test.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2023, 10:59:23 AM »
Florida universities are suffering a brain drain as faculty is leaving the state

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/30/florida-universities-colleges-faculty-leaving-desantis

You have to dig pretty deeply into that article to find a statement from the State of Florida University System Chancellor asserting "State University System of Florida has not received any concerns from our member institutions indicating turnover this year has been any higher than previous years. Turnover occurs every year."

So the piece isn't really about "brain drain". It's about 3-4 slacker professors at New College of Florida pitching a hissy fit  that they aren't being allowed to incorporate DEI and CRT into their teaching. And if their brains "drain" to another school in another state, Florida will be better off for it.

The article is nothing more than creating a false narrative in order to take a shot at Ron DeSantis.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2023, 11:09:34 AM »
You have to dig pretty deeply into that article to find a statement from the State of Florida University System Chancellor asserting "State University System of Florida has not received any concerns from our member institutions indicating turnover this year has been any higher than previous years. Turnover occurs every year."

So the piece isn't really about "brain drain". It's about 3-4 slacker professors at New College of Florida pitching a hissy fit  that they aren't being allowed to incorporate DEI and CRT into their teaching. And if their brains "drain" to another school in another state, Florida will be better off for it.

The article is nothing more than creating a false narrative in order to take a shot at Ron DeSantis.

"There is no war in ba sing se"

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2023, 11:09:51 AM »
So the piece isn't really about "brain drain". It's about 3-4 slacker professors at New College of Florida pitching a hissy fit  that they aren't being allowed to incorporate DEI and CRT into their teaching.

You have some weird ideas about what actually happens in a college classroom.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »
You have some weird ideas about what actually happens in a college classroom.

The Chancellor of the Florida System is quoted in the article as saying that turnover among faculty in the member institutions is no higher this year than any other year.

That renders the headline and entire thrust of the article fraudulent.

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2023, 11:36:17 AM »
The Chancellor of the Florida System is quoted in the article as saying that turnover among faculty in the member institutions is no higher this year than any other year.

Nope. That's not what he said.

"(The) State University System of Florida has not received any concerns from our member institutions indicating turnover this year has been any higher than previous years."

He didn't deny that there was high turnover. Just that he never received any concerns.

In fact, the Trustees of the System acknowledged there is high turnover this year and discussed it in July. Furthermore, Ron DeSantis acknowledged the high turnover, but says it's not that big of a deal.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2023/07/27/faculty-turnover-new-college-not-loss-florida-desantis-says/

Seems to me you don't have the latest in talking points lined up. Better sleep with Fox on tonight.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2023, 11:38:48 AM »
Seems to me you don't have the latest in talking points lined up. Better sleep with Fox on tonight.

Just to be clear based on the collie costume thread: Sleeping with foxes is illegal. Sultan is suggesting you sleep with the news channel. Hope that clears things up.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2023, 11:53:02 AM »

CRT

😂😂😂

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2023, 12:08:15 PM »

That renders the headline and entire thrust of the article fraudulent.

In addition to what Sultan already has noted about his choice of words, are we just going to ignore the fact that the chancellor is a DeSantis lackey?

The Florida Board of Governors unanimously voted to appoint Ray Rodrigues as the chancellor of the State University System of Florida. The move means a political ally of Republican governor Ron DeSantis is now at the helm of the public system comprised of 12 universities.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2022/09/15/florida-system-hires-desantis-ally-chancellor