[Today at 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MAUI INVITATIONAL TICKETS  (Read 34862 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: MAUI INVITATIONAL TICKETS
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2023, 08:23:33 AM »
If they can't hold the tournament at the Lahaina Civic Center, is there anywhere else on the island that makes sense? Or elsewhere in Hawaii?

The only other possibility would be at the University of Hawaii. 

muwarrior69

• All American

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2023, 11:03:44 AM »
The only other possibility would be at the University of Hawaii.

Chaminade's gym actually holds a bit more than the LCC. The question to solve are Waikiki room blocks and air travel on short notice and on a holiday week.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2023, 12:54:10 PM »
Chaminade's gym actually holds a bit more than the LCC. The question to solve are Waikiki room blocks and air travel on short notice and on a holiday week.

Actually in Honolulu, there is also the Blaisdell Arena. https://blaisdellcenter.com/venues/the-arena/ It is where the UH team used to play before the on campus arena was built.  But as noted, hotels may be an issue.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2023, 01:33:49 PM »
Actually in Honolulu, there is also the Blaisdell Arena. https://blaisdellcenter.com/venues/the-arena/ It is where the UH team used to play before the on campus arena was built.  But as noted, hotels may be an issue.

Closed for construction until the end of November but maybe they can accelerate that.  Bigger venue and maybe they can create a fundraiser for those impacted.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2023, 01:53:57 PM »
Closed for construction until the end of November but maybe they can accelerate that.  Bigger venue and maybe they can create a fundraiser for those impacted.

This is significantly worse than I imagined.  Some of the eyewitness accounts are truly unbelievable. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2023, 04:19:00 PM »
This is significantly worse than I imagined.  Some of the eyewitness accounts are truly unbelievable.

I'm colored by the fact I've been to Maui 3 times and was just there last spring but IMO this is the worst disaster of my lifetime.  I can't recall such carnage.  Obviously Katrina comes to mind but for some reason this feels worse.  It has been very hard to watch.  I love Maui so much and am always so grateful whenever we have been able to go.  This is devastating.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2023, 04:31:36 PM »
Don’t fret, Pakuni says it’s no big deal. Play on.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2023, 04:43:09 PM »
Don’t fret, Pakuni says it’s no big deal. Play on.

Yes. That's exactly what I wrote.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2023, 04:51:04 PM »
I'm colored by the fact I've been to Maui 3 times and was just there last spring but IMO this is the worst disaster of my lifetime.  I can't recall such carnage.  Obviously Katrina comes to mind but for some reason this feels worse.  It has been very hard to watch.  I love Maui so much and am always so grateful whenever we have been able to go.  This is devastating.

Maybe Oprah will open up her driveway and home in Kula?  The fact that this happened so quickly made it basically impossible for the fire departments to do anything.  It's terribly sad and getting resources there is going to be extremely difficult.  I have a very close friend on the Big Island and they evacuated his little subdivision but it seems as though things will be okay in this small area.  There's some serious money on Maui so hopefully they chip in big and it goes to the people who desperately need it. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2023, 10:38:39 PM »
Garry Parrish on the Lahaina Civic Center and the tournament:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/hawaii-wildfires-devastate-area-around-lahaina-civic-center-and-home-of-maui-invitational-wont-be-the-same/

Includes this paragraph:

From the sky, it looks unbelievable. From the ground, it looks terrifying. Who knows if it'll ever look the same again? The before-and-after pictures are saddening. Fortunately, the Lahaina Civic Center, that 2,400-seat, five-decade-old building with an iconic mural behind one basket, remains intact even if it did reportedly have to be evacuated after earlier serving as an evacuation center. The fires got very close to the home of the Maui Invitational but do not appear to have done any notable damage. At least not yet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2023, 10:34:10 AM »

This is a strange and obtuse post.

What has hapoened in Maui is very sad, tragic, and devastating for may.

Natural disasters aren't a compare and contrast contest. 1400 people died in Katrina for example.

There is a long list of many other bad natural disasters too. None are good and they don't really need to be compared or ranked.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2023, 10:43:05 AM »
This is a strange and obtuse post.

What has hapoened in Maui is very sad, tragic, and devastating for may.

Natural disasters aren't a compare and contrast contest. 1400 people died in Katrina for example.

There is a long list of many other bad natural disasters too. None are good and they don't really need to be compared or ranked.

I did not mean to offend anyone, nor did I intend to even rank, though I certainly did.

My feelings are just a gut reaction from seeing an entire town (which obviously is smaller than most) get completely inniliated. I would imagine people who frequent Fort Myers felt the same last year.  For whatever reason this fire has shaken me.  That is to take nothing away from other disasters, it's just left a big impression on me. Probably bc of great memories of being there and times that with my wife and kids that mean so much.  That's it. Sorry.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2023, 11:25:08 AM »
I did not mean to offend anyone, nor did I intend to even rank, though I certainly did.

My feelings are just a gut reaction from seeing an entire town (which obviously is smaller than most) get completely inniliated. I would imagine people who frequent Fort Myers felt the same last year.  For whatever reason this fire has shaken me.  That is to take nothing away from other disasters, it's just left a big impression on me. Probably bc of great memories of being there and times that with my wife and kids that mean so much.  That's it. Sorry.

Fair enough. Better said.

One of the better growth opportunities in life is being able to relate to people, places and things that one doesn't necessarily get to experience first hand. And it's necessary as we can't get possibly get to every place, and we can't meet everyone. (although I have certainly tried) You'd find more similarities than differences in many of these situations. Lots of great, people, cultures, and places are out there.

The Hawaiian islands are some of my favorite places to be too. Great people, great culture, great landscape. Thankfully my loved ones who live there did not get hurt or injured. Others unfortunately weren't so lucky. I feel for everyone there.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2023, 08:57:50 PM »
We lived in Hawaii when cat 5 hurricane Iniki hit. Very little notice as it turned in the middle of the night. Living on the 33rd floor a block from the ocean, we evacuated to the Blaisdell Center, as Iniki was tracking toward Oahu. It jogged to Kauai hours before landfall. The effects on Kauai was devastating with a30 Ft storm surge.
The isolation of the islands is stunning. It took days to get supplies to Oahu, even though we had mild impact. Kauai was way worse.
Maui will be even harder as it is more built up than Kauai was at the time.
I can’t imagine the devastation and the sheer volume of work it is going to take to recover.

BTW, I do except the Hawaiian attitude on recovery will be much like my MU friend who lives in New Orleans. When I called to check on him after Katrina, he said, well, on the bright side, my pool is now 16 feet deep.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2023, 09:48:31 PM »
We lived in Hawaii when cat 5 hurricane Iniki hit. Very little notice as it turned in the middle of the night. Living on the 33rd floor a block from the ocean, we evacuated to the Blaisdell Center, as Iniki was tracking toward Oahu. It jogged to Kauai hours before landfall. The effects on Kauai was devastating with a30 Ft storm surge.
The isolation of the islands is stunning. It took days to get supplies to Oahu, even though we had mild impact. Kauai was way worse.
Maui will be even harder as it is more built up than Kauai was at the time.
I can’t imagine the devastation and the sheer volume of work it is going to take to recover.

BTW, I do except the Hawaiian attitude on recovery will be much like my MU friend who lives in New Orleans. When I called to check on him after Katrina, he said, well, on the bright side, my pool is now 16 feet deep.

They will rebuild the town but this is horrific beyond anything I possibly imagined.  There are at least 1000 people unaccounted for and perhaps many that drowned jumping into the ocean.  The speed with which this fire destroyed everything in its path is beyond comprehension. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2023, 09:39:02 AM »
They will rebuild the town but this is horrific beyond anything I possibly imagined.  There are at least 1000 people unaccounted for and perhaps many that drowned jumping into the ocean.  The speed with which this fire destroyed everything in its path is beyond comprehension.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/maui-invitational-2023-lahaina-fires-updates-basketball/gmn4ap4pvl2a5neanalv0gnu

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2023, 10:16:17 AM »
I think that there is a decent chance that the tournament will be relocated stateside.

The company that runs the tournament, Kemper Sports, is based in Chicago, so they have no particular affinity to Maui or Hawaii.  Even if they find a place to play other than the original venue in Maui, many of the hotel rooms where fans were going to stay are either gone or uninhabitable.  There's a good chance the transportation systems (roads, airports, rental car places) won't be back to normal by tournament time.  Nearly everyone involved is going to have to change their plans one way or the other.

The lineup for this tourney is arguably the best in Thanksgiving tournament history. If you are really trying hard to find the slimmest of silver linings here, they could move it to a place in the continental US where they could sell a lot more tickets.  That week tends to be dead as far as scheduled events go.  My guess is there are plenty of places that have availability.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2023, 10:32:35 AM »
I’m thinking (hoping) there’s far greater than a decent chance of it coming stateside. Only question is if they go the “Easy route”, say Vegas, or does something a bit more unconventional come up?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »
Jupiter Fl just finished a brand new community gym. Just saying….

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2023, 10:48:52 AM »
I think that there is a decent chance that the tournament will be relocated stateside.

The company that runs the tournament, Kemper Sports, is based in Chicago, so they have no particular affinity to Maui or Hawaii.  Even if they find a place to play other than the original venue in Maui, many of the hotel rooms where fans were going to stay are either gone or uninhabitable.  There's a good chance the transportation systems (roads, airports, rental car places) won't be back to normal by tournament time.  Nearly everyone involved is going to have to change their plans one way or the other.

The lineup for this tourney is arguably the best in Thanksgiving tournament history. If you are really trying hard to find the slimmest of silver linings here, they could move it to a place in the continental US where they could sell a lot more tickets.  That week tends to be dead as far as scheduled events go.  My guess is there are plenty of places that have availability.

They should pick a venue that does not give one of the teams a "home court" advantage and make it a charity event for Maui.

I think Vegas would be too much a home court for UCLA and/or even Gonzaga.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2023, 10:52:28 AM »
I’m thinking (hoping) there’s far greater than a decent chance of it coming stateside. Only question is if they go the “Easy route”, say Vegas, or does something a bit more unconventional come up?

...like Milwaukee with its pristine beaches.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2023, 11:41:03 AM »
They should pick a venue that does not give one of the teams a "home court" advantage and make it a charity event for Maui.

I think Vegas would be too much a home court for UCLA and/or even Gonzaga.

If they play at T Mobile in Vegas with 18K sold out and a healthy percentage goes to Maui charity, I’d get over the ucla / zags home court.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2023, 12:34:10 PM »
I would hope that whatever is done the proceeds will go to Maui.  They convert a ballroom at Atlantis.  Can they not find something on Oahu?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »

Based on Chicago you say?

Is the UC open that week?