[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is ESPN Doomed?  (Read 12275 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Is ESPN Doomed?
« on: July 23, 2023, 09:33:50 PM »
ESPN held talks with NBA, NFL, MLB in search for strategic partner, sources say

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/21/espn-had-talks-with-nba-nfl-in-search-for-strategic-partner.html

Effectively ESPN is trying to sell itself to the NBA and the NFL. It's an act of desperation because their business model isn't working anymore.

And it's a signal that they've actually over paid for NBA and NFL games.

But why would the NBA in the NFL buy into ESPN? They know it's a bad business model, cord-cutting is already lost half their subscribers any outlook is not getting better.

—————

from the story

ESPN is trying to forge a new path as a digital-first, streaming entity. Disney realizes ESPN won’t be able to make money like it previously has in a traditional TV model.

Selling a minority stake in ESPN to the leagues could mitigate future rights payments, allowing Disney to better compete with the big balance sheets of Apple, Google and Amazon. It would also guarantee ESPN a steady flow of premium content from the leagues.

Until last quarter, Disney’s bundle of linear TV networks still had revenue growth because affiliate fee increases to pay-TV providers — largely driven by ESPN — made up for the millions of Americans who cancel cable each year. That trend finally ended last quarter, according to people familiar with the matter. Accelerating cancellations have now overwhelmed fee increases, and linear TV revenue outside of advertising has begun to decline.

Professional sports leagues could face conflicts of interest if they take a minority stake in ESPN. Owning a stake in ESPN may irritate Disney’s competitors, such as Comcast’s NBCUniversal, Fox, Amazon, Paramount Global and Apple, who help make the leagues billions of dollars by participating in bidding wars for sports rights. Taking an ownership stake in ESPN could give leagues the incentive to boost the value of that entity rather than striking deals with competitors.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 09:55:25 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Is ESPN Doomed?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 09:47:27 PM »
ESPN held talks with NBA, NFL, MLB in search for strategic partner, sources say

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/21/espn-had-talks-with-nba-nfl-in-search-for-strategic-partner.html

Effectively ESPN is trying to sell itself to the NBA and the NFL. It's an act of desperation because their business model isn't working anymore.

And it's a signal that they've actually over paid for NBA and NFL games.

But why would the NBA in the NFL buy into ESPN? They know it's a bad business model, cord-cutting is already lost have their subscribers any outlook is not getting better.

—————

from the story

ESPN is trying to forge a new path as a digital-first, streaming entity. Disney realizes ESPN won’t be able to make money like it previously has in a traditional TV model.

Selling a minority stake in ESPN to the leagues could mitigate future rights payments, allowing Disney to better compete with the big balance sheets of Apple, Google and Amazon. It would also guarantee ESPN a steady flow of premium content from the leagues.

Until last quarter, Disney’s bundle of linear TV networks still had revenue growth because affiliate fee increases to pay-TV providers — largely driven by ESPN — made up for the millions of Americans who cancel cable each year. That trend finally ended last quarter, according to people familiar with the matter. Accelerating cancellations have now overwhelmed fee increases, and linear TV revenue outside of advertising has begun to decline.

Professional sports leagues could face conflicts of interest if they take a minority stake in ESPN. Owning a stake in ESPN may irritate Disney’s competitors, such as Comcast’s NBCUniversal, Fox, Amazon, Paramount Global and Apple, who help make the leagues billions of dollars by participating in bidding wars for sports rights. Taking an ownership stake in ESPN could give leagues the incentive to boost the value of that entity rather than striking deals with competitors.

I think they could be in serious trouble. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 09:57:09 PM »
I see a pattern with Heisy. If anything can be even remotely connected to a lib cause, Heisy posts this kind of trash.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 10:03:15 PM »
I see a pattern with Heisy. If anything can be even remotely connected to a lib cause, Heisy posts this kind of trash.

you’re telling us about your psychosis. you see conspracies everywhere

jockey is doomed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 10:06:12 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 10:19:49 PM »
ESPN is like religion: lots of bad takes

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 10:24:17 PM »
One could argue that Jesus has the first take

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 10:28:34 PM »
Most of the content on ESPN is complete trash.  Filler, at best.  They have had some great personalities over the years, and some great successes, but I've done without them for many years now... streaming the games I want to stream from the providers that make them available.  I'm not sure ESPN deserves to survive in its current form. 

nb:  I don't watch baseball, which seems to be all they show 10 months of the year. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 10:36:59 PM »
I believe it was 2014 when ESPN smuggly did a famous special titled "Requiem for the Big East". Perhaps Val Ackerman can get the 10 or 11 conference teams together and produce a piece titled "Requiem for an all sports network that keeps shooting itself in the foot".

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 05:53:43 AM »
“Keeps shooting itself in the foot??”

It’s been almost nothing but an incredible success story since its creation. No doubt they have had missteps but they have made a significant impact not only on how we consume sports, but culturally as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 06:16:52 AM »
Time for a rebrand.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 06:18:15 AM »
ESPN has already done the X-Games, so that would feel redundant and derivative.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 06:20:37 AM »
“Keeps shooting itself in the foot??”

It’s been almost nothing but an incredible success story since its creation. No doubt they have had missteps but they have made a significant impact not only on how we consume sports, but culturally as well.

Reads like a description of the Catholic church

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2023, 07:01:16 AM »
Reads like a description of the Catholic church

Not really. Look I am hardly saying their future is bright as rosy, because if I look at the disinterest with with Gen Z follows sports, it’s worrisome. But ESPN has undoubtedly been quite successful.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 07:38:37 AM »
Not really. Look I am hardly saying their future is bright as rosy, because if I look at the disinterest with with Gen Z follows sports, it’s worrisome. But ESPN has undoubtedly been quite successful.

ESPN hasn’t caused death and destruction, either.  As far as we know, they haven’t covered up decades of sex abuse of minors as well.

They halcyon days of ESPN are over.  It’ll be up to the parent company where ESPN goes.

ESPN has one thing doing for them, too.  They’re a convenient boogeyman for sports fans who think they control the strings of outcomes and getting matchups they want to broadcast.  Their are Big Ten and Big East fans who think espn is actively working against them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2023, 08:52:38 AM »
There's no need to go political here. Their programming outside of live sports is really bad.  It's as simple as that.  And no one is really buying their streaming services separately.   

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2023, 08:58:49 AM »
There's no need to go political here. Their programming outside of live sports is really bad.  It's as simple as that.  And no one is really buying their streaming services separately.   
You must be new here.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2023, 09:04:29 AM »
What is ESPN?  They are the very best, by an incredible margin, all sports network.  They have no peer in their industry.

Their trouble?  With the cable bundle fading they have gone from 110 million subs to 80 some and will probably bottom out at 55 million.  Their problem is FS1 and everyone elses best day. 

What they are doing now is trying to right size. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2023, 09:13:32 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2023, 09:15:51 AM »
No one?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1054451/espn-plus-subscriber-us/

Their not live sports stuff is abysmal Pakumi.  I think we can all agree here. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »

The Last Dance?  30 for 30?

Their sports docs did the impossible and supplanted HBO Sports for best documentary content.

And you don't like SportsCenter, Get Up or First Take?  Which of their competitor shows do you like in their place? 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2023, 09:24:14 AM »

Their sports docs did the impossible and supplanted HBO Sports for best documentary content.

And you don't like SportsCenter, Get Up or First Take?  Which of their competitor shows do you like in their place?

Gameday remains the gold standard for pregame shows
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2023, 09:24:22 AM »

I don't agree.
The "30 for 30" films are consistently great. E60 can be hit and miss, but is good more often than not. "Outside the Lines" (RIP) was outstanding.
The "hot take" universe is trash, but no, not all of the not live sports stuff is abysmal.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2023, 09:25:33 AM »

My apologies.  They have had some good 30 for 30's.  But for the most part they have terrible entertainment.  Van Pelt is good but other than him the formulaic programs are excrement and have been for a long time.  Their competitors shows are also awful. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2023, 09:25:41 AM »

They have had some excellent documentaries, including most recently the one on Bill Walton.

I usually watch at least some Sportscenter every night, as do most of the sports fans I know. I watch just about none of their "personalities" shows (such as the two you mentioned), though I do occasionally tune into PTI.

Like every network that has jumped into streaming (which is just about every network), Disney is trying to figure out how to best make money off its platform. ESPN might fail -- indeed, it might be doomed -- but I wouldn't bet on it happening real soon.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 09:34:56 AM »
What's happening to ESPN is nothing more than what's happening to most media outlets. Technology has changed and either they adapt to the new technology or they die the death of a thousand cuts.

Rights are expensive. Staffing and programming isn't cheap. Traditional cable systems are dying as viewers decide what they want to watch and program accordingly. The old question of, "Why do I have to get... QVC ..." is being addressed through streaming. There's no turning back.

As recently as 20 years ago, the four major television networks still were the dominant means of communicating with America. I wonder how much longer any of them can continue to exist in their current form. If ESPN is in trouble, what's next?