collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Barry Diller: Actor/Writer Strikes Could Lead to Hollywood’s ‘Absolute Collapse  (Read 7378 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Depending on your definition of doomed,  I agree with that one. Movie theatres will survive for decades longer,  but their numbers and prevelance will be greatly diminished. Which is sad,  I still love going to the movies

I do too, though there are not many movies I would like to see over he last few years. My old plasma finally died after 16 years and I replaced it with a 77 inch OLED. Picture is just breath taking and it would take a movie like Midway to peak my interest in going to the theatre. My daughter and I, her treat, went to see Sounds of Freedom the other day.
Tickets were 36 dollars for the 8pm showing. I could not believe ticket prices went up that much. The movie was OK but not worth 36 bucks to see in my opinion, though the subject matter, child sex trafficking, is worth a view once it makes the streaming services. Of note is that the film was actually produced in 2018 and the monies for distribution were raised in 2023.

I often wonder why I can hear and understand all the dialogue in a movie theatre but once it is released for streaming or DVD the dialogue channel is so much less audible.

Hards Alumni

• All American
I do too, though there are not many movies I would like to see over he last few years. My old plasma finally died after 16 years and I replaced it with a 77 inch OLED. Picture is just breath taking and it would take a movie like Midway to peak my interest in going to the theatre. My daughter and I, her treat, went to see Sounds of Freedom the other day.
Tickets were 36 dollars for the 8pm showing. I could not believe ticket prices went up that much. The movie was OK but not worth 36 bucks to see in my opinion, though the subject matter, child sex trafficking, is worth a view once it makes the streaming services. Of note is that the film was actually produced in 2018 and the monies for distribution were raised in 2023.

I often wonder why I can hear and understand all the dialogue in a movie theatre but once it is released for streaming or DVD the dialogue channel is so much less audible.

Get a better sound system?  TV speakers are notoriously cheap.

MU82

• All American
FWIW, Barbie and Oppenheimer are expected to inject the movie theater industry with a significant bump in profits.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American

Short answer: Production isn't prioritizing sound mixing for home theaters combined with mixing for home theaters being non-standard and difficult to do:

"There is yet another important variable in this sprawling equation, and it might be the most important one of all: the home theater experience. "Ultimately, the historical record of the film will not be seen in theaters, it will be what you see in your home theater," Karen Baker Landers says. "That's how most people see certain products. So you want it to be great."

For audio mixers, the theatrical mix comes first, followed by a streaming mix. Then, a stereo mix will often be created, funneling the full scope of the sound mix through just two simple speakers in a process Donald Sylvester likens to "taking a beautiful steak and dragging it through the dirt."

"A lot of people watch it on their flatscreen with their sound bar and they think it's going to be an improved sound situation, but it may not translate," says Sylvester: 

"Some TVs take the 5.1 [surround sound mix] and they turn it into a stereo. They have algorithms inside the TV. It's not even our mix. We don't even know what it sounds like. I think a lot of tuners do that, if you have a receiver — I know they have algorithms, and they also put coloring on it, like 'cinema approach' that adds reflection and noise and stuff that you don't want in the mix. That's another problem. You don't know how it's being presented in the home."

Complicating matters even further is the unfortunate fact that "not every filmmaker knows that you have to rebalance your film so it plays differently on a home theater," Baker Landers explains. "That's a big problem. Because if you've mixed this for spread in a theater and you just do a simple transfer with some kid at night who doesn't know what they're doing, who didn't [work on] the movie [originally], there's a huge problem with that. I think that problem needs to be addressed. People who aren't in the industry complain to me all the time: 'Why can't I understand the dialogue? Why am I always riding the levels? The music comes in huge.'"

Craig Mann tells me most modern movies are required to create a separate mix for home video, but there is still the occasional film which decides to skip that step in the process. "Those mixes often have less dynamic range than the theater mix," Mann says. "If you're really having to ride the volume around a lot, chances are they didn't have a home theater mix on that.""

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

Not A Serious Person

• All American
FWIW, Barbie and Oppenheimer are expected to inject the movie theater industry with a significant bump in profits.

I hope it does, as Cineworld, the second-largest movie theater chain in the world, filed for bankruptcy last year and might have to liquidate (as opposed to reorganizing).

AMC, the largest movie theatre chain in the world, has seen its stock fall 90+% from its high.

Cinemark, the third-largest movie theater, is the powerhouse of the group. Its stock is only 65% lower than its pre-pandemic peak.

And as far as the hope that Barbie and Oppenheimer will save the industry. 

This was the exact same thing said last month about the latest Mission Impossible and Indiana Jones movies.

And two weeks before that about Spiderman and the Flash

And two weeks before that, about Elemental and the Little Mermaid

All disappointed.

In fact, the only movie that has surprised to the upside this summer was "Sound of Freedom." And the left is bizarrely, desperately, trying to cancel it as some sort of Qnon conspiracy theory.

So, good luck to you as you continue to pour your money into movie theatre investments. Hopefully, the proud boys continue to buy tickets and make you money.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American

If you don't want to spring for a sound system (receiver, amp, excellent speakers), try a high-quality soundbar. Wirecutter recommends the Polk MagniFi Mini AX ("best all-around"), the Vizio M-Series Elevate ("for more enveloping surround sound"), the Yamaha SR-C30A ("budget pick") and the LG S95QR ("upgrade pick").

If you buy one, make sure you set it up quickly so you can see if it works well for you. If not, you'll be able to take it back within the store's return window and try another.

You're welcome.

MU82

• All American

Which is not even in the same universe with what I said.

So, good luck to you as you continue to pour your money into movie theatre investments. Hopefully, the proud boys continue to buy tickets and make you money.

I don't have a nickel in "movie theatre investments" and never have. Not sure why you feel disinformation helps your arguments.

I hope it does

I doubt this is true. People love to get to say "I told you so," you more than most.

I'll resist the temptation to respond to your attempts at making this a political argument.

jficke13

• All American
I hope it does, as Cineworld, the second-largest movie theater chain in the world, filed for bankruptcy last year and might have to liquidate (as opposed to reorganizing).

AMC, the largest movie theatre chain in the world, has seen its stock fall 90+% from its high.

Cinemark, the third-largest movie theater, is the powerhouse of the group. Its stock is only 65% lower than its pre-pandemic peak.

This was the exact same thing said last month about the latest Mission Impossible and Indiana Jones movies.

All disappointed.

In fact, the only movie that has surprised to the upside this summer was "Sound of Freedom." And the left is bizarrely, desperately, trying to cancel it as some sort of Qnon conspiracy theory[/b].

whyever could this possibly be? Truly, it is a mystery that cannot be solved with common sense, google, and listening to Jim Caviziel talk about adrenochrome while doing press junkets for the movie.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:03:45 AM by jficke13 »

jficke13

• All American
[...]
In fact, the only movie that has surprised to the upside this summer was "Sound of Freedom." [...]

But in all seriousness this is not some new groundbreaking piece of economics. A couple of the all time leaders for largest "upside" are "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Blair Witch Project." What they have in common is small budgets, which means that when they got legs and became extremely popular, the denominator was small and they could hit huge multiples over their budget at the box office (to say nothing of long tail revenues from non-box office sources).

"Sound of Freedom" was relatively cheap to make, lots of people who really are invested in having their irrational fear of the fantasy of stranger-danger trafficking validated showed up at the box office (plus a bunch showed up because it has a legitimately smart marketing plan (the movie *they* don't want you to see!)), and presto chango you've got a big "surprise to the upside." Good for their distributors for making money. It's more complicated, however, when you say "well, new Marvel Property X only got 1.75 or 2x its budget" but their budget was $200M, so is it a flop? Or is it just disappointing numbers against investment and the hope that "because old Marvel Property Y got $1B+ gate, New Marvel Property X must get $1B+ too!" ?

Hards Alumni

• All American

All disappointed.

In fact, the only movie that has surprised to the upside this summer was "Sound of Freedom." And the left is bizarrely, desperately, trying to cancel it as some sort of Qnon conspiracy theory.

Sound of Freedom isn't being cancelled.  It's being propped up by terminally online weirdos who think buying ten tickets to a movie is a good idea.  Or who think that spamming 10/10 reviews makes a movie good.

The right is so filled with social idiots who have been conditioned to think they're being canceled or repressed in some way.  They see conspiracy and persecution at every turn... especially when there is none.  Then the right wing media apparatus picks it up and overinflates reality for a week or two and then finally we end up here.  With Heisey or rocket posting nonsense like the 'left is trying to cancel the film'.  MAYBE, just maybe, it's a movie for right wingers and there just isn't interest from a broad audience that enjoys this type of story. 

Not to mention that box office sales are down across the board.  I think I've seen one or two movies since early 2020.  Two were kids movies where the family rented out the theater, and the last one I saw was the second Avatar movie.  My wife and I used to go at least 10-20 times per year... but in the two years that the theaters were closed we found other ways to enjoy our time.  Also, most movies come to streaming services in only a couple of months.  I can wait a couple of months to see something.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Jayzuss Hardship, you are the Progressive version of Archie Bunker. Can there ever be a thread where you don’t denigrate anybody who disagrees with Your truth?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Sound of Freedom isn't being cancelled.  It's being propped up by terminally online weirdos who think buying ten tickets to a movie is a good idea.  Or who think that spamming 10/10 reviews makes a movie good.

The right is so filled with social idiots who have been conditioned to think they're being canceled or repressed in some way.  They see conspiracy and persecution at every turn... especially when there is none.  Then the right wing media apparatus picks it up and overinflates reality for a week or two and then finally we end up here.  With Heisey or rocket posting nonsense like the 'left is trying to cancel the film'.  MAYBE, just maybe, it's a movie for right wingers and there just isn't interest from a broad audience that enjoys this type of story. 

Not to mention that box office sales are down across the board.  I think I've seen one or two movies since early 2020.  Two were kids movies where the family rented out the theater, and the last one I saw was the second Avatar movie.  My wife and I used to go at least 10-20 times per year... but in the two years that the theaters were closed we found other ways to enjoy our time.  Also, most movies come to streaming services in only a couple of months.  I can wait a couple of months to see something.

Plus, we have to boycott Barbie because it’s woke
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jficke13

• All American
Plus, we have to boycott Barbie because it’s woke

Cancellation for me but not for thee?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Cancellation for me but not for thee?

I guess Ken has low T and the movie has hints of feminism.  Don’t take your daughters.  They might think women have merit other than appearance. 

lawdog77

• All American
I guess Ken has low T and the movie has hints of feminism.  Don’t take your daughters.  They might think women have merit other than appearance.
I heard Ken joined the women's swim team and has an Antifa T-shirt as part of his fall collection.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
I heard Ken joined the women's swim team and has an Antifa T-shirt as part of his fall collection.

He’s not driving a convertible either.  They have him in a Prius.  Sad!

Pakuni

• All American

All disappointed.

"Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" were not doomed.

The summer box office just went nuclear.
Filmmaker Greta Gerwig’s female-fueled Barbie opened to a historic $155 million domestically, a threshold usually reserved for male-driven superhero fare or marquee IP, such as the final Harry Potter movie. It came in well ahead of an expected $90 million to $110 million and helped fuel one of the biggest weekends in history.

Not that Oppenheimer, from Universal, is any slouch. The three-hour, R-rated historical drama about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the making of the atomic bomb likewise came in well ahead of expectations with $80.5 million. That’s the filmmaker’s third-biggest domestic debut behind The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9 million) and The Dark Knight ($158.4 million), not adjusted for inflation. It also will come in ahead of recent summer pics including The Flash, Elemental and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-box-office-oppenheimer-opening-1235541719/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 11:40:14 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
"Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" were not doomed.

The summer box office just went nuclear.
Filmmaker Greta Gerwig’s female-fueled Barbie opened to a historic $155 million domestically, a threshold usually reserved for male-driven superhero fare or marquee IP, such as the final Harry Potter movie. It came in well ahead of an expected $90 million to $110 million and helped fuel one of the biggest weekends in history.

Not that Oppenheimer, from Universal, is any slouch. The three-hour, R-rated historical drama about J. Robert Oppenheimer and the making of the atomic bomb likewise came in well ahead of expectations with $80.5 million. That’s the filmmaker’s third-biggest domestic debut behind The Dark Knight Rises ($160.9 million) and The Dark Knight ($158.4 million), not adjusted for inflation. It also will come in ahead of recent summer pics including The Flash, Elemental and Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-box-office-oppenheimer-opening-1235541719/

Interesting note:

"Barbenheimer" led to the fourth-biggest box-office weekend ever in the U.S., according to Comscore, as well as the only weekend in the top 10 of all-time that didn't include a movie from Jurassic Park, Marvel or Star Wars franchises.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Interesting note:

"Barbenheimer" led to the fourth-biggest box-office weekend ever in the U.S., according to Comscore, as well as the only weekend in the top 10 of all-time that didn't include a movie from Jurassic Park, Marvel or Star Wars franchises.

Goes to show you, being woke pays

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Interesting note:

Is there a signal for Hollywood here ... and, if so, will they take it?

The big action moves, such as Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, and Spider-man, disappointed.

In general, the movies that are part of franchise movies have been disappointing.

So along comes two movies oriented toward different audiences, not part of a franchise, and are not action films, and both have huge opening weekends. 

Ask anyone in Hollywood even a few months ago if summer audiences would flock to a heady, intellectual, three-hour history pic with an unknown lead, and they would have laughed you out of the room.

Goes to show you, being woke pays

Except Barbie was not marketed as a woke movie. Now that it has been exposed as a woke movie, as you yourself have noted, let's see how much it does this coming weekend.  Was last weekend the result of a great marketing campaign and "hiding" its wokeness catch up this weekend?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Is there a signal for Hollywood here ... and, if so, will they take it?

The big action moves, such as Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, and Spider-man, disappointed.

In general, the movies that are part of franchise movies have been disappointing.

So along comes two movies oriented toward different audiences, not part of a franchise, and are not action films, and both have huge opening weekends. 

Ask anyone in Hollywood even a few months ago if summer audiences would flock to a heady, intellectual, three-hour history pic with an unknown lead, and they would have laughed you out of the room.

Except Barbie was not marketed as a woke movie. Now that it has been exposed as a woke movie, as you yourself have noted, let's see how much it does this coming weekend.  Was last weekend the result of a great marketing campaign and "hiding" its wokeness catch up this weekend?

If being woke means encouraging girls they can be anything, well, I’d say woke warriors are idiots

Not A Serious Person

• All American
If being woke means encouraging girls they can be anything, well, I’d say woke warriors are idiots

That was the marketing campaign. Did you see it? Is that what you saw on the screen?

Pakuni

• All American

Sounds like Ben Shapiro wasn't the only dude burning his Barbie collection this weekend 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Sounds like Ben Shapiro wasn't the only dude burning his Barbie collection this weekend

Correct ... I have not seen it and will probably never see it, as it was not made for me, but I've seen several reviews that both say it was not a good movie and had a hidden political agenda.

So, let's see if it loses steam this weekend. (again, I did not see it so this is based on second-hand info like your OP was.)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Correct ... I have not seen it and will probably never see it, as it was not made for me, but I've seen several reviews that both say it was not a good movie and had a hidden political agenda.

So, let's see if it loses steam this weekend. (again, I did not see it so this is based on second-hand info like your OP was.)

Funny the reviews you’ve seen are from right wing morons who collect paychecks fighting a culture war.