collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Barry Diller: Actor/Writer Strikes Could Lead to Hollywood’s ‘Absolute Collapse  (Read 6981 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Yes.    Bundle it at a slightly discounted rate, be a hero.     Some see opportunities, some see doom.

The reason the cable bundle is collapsing was it was too damm expensive. Even with the convenience of everything in one place was factored in.

Besides, many services bundle streaming and none have not been that successful.

The public no longer wants to shell out a few hundred dollars a month for streaming services (in addition to paying for internet services). The guys in charge know this and are scrambling for a finite amount of money. So, they must get costs down to grab their piece of the pie.

Tower, how do you pay a month for streaming services? As much as your old cable bill? If not, why not?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
Unions are becoming more popular.

According to a recent Gallup poll, more than 70% of Americans surveyed said they "approve of labor unions."

Said the NYT's David Leonhardt: This interest in unions is economically rational for many workers. Collective bargaining gives employees leverage that they tend to lack when they negotiate on their own. Unionized workers typically make 10 percent to 20 percent more than similar nonunionized workers, as I’ve explained before. The extra pay often comes out of executive salaries or corporate profits, reducing income inequality in the process.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
The reason the cable bundle is collapsing was it was too damm expensive. Even with the convenience of everything in one place was factored in.

Besides, many services bundle streaming and none have not been that successful.

The public no longer wants to shell out a few hundred dollars a month for streaming services (in addition to paying for internet services). The guys in charge know this and are scrambling for a finite amount of money. So, they must get costs down to grab their piece of the pie.

Tower, how do you pay a month for streaming services? As much as your old cable bill? If not, why not?

Is anybody really paying a few hundred dollars a month to stream?
One could have premium Netflix, the premium Disney bundle (Hulu and ESPN+), Prime, Apple+, Max premium, Paramount and Peacock for about $92 a month.

WiFi seems irrelevant. People are paying for that whether they're streaming or plugged in.

Not Tower, but I pay significantly less to stream (YouTube TV, plus Netflix, Apple, Max and Prime) than I did for DirecTV. Even five years after I cut the cable and a couple of YouTube TV fee hikes later, it's still about 40% less and I have more options.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
One could have premium Netflix, the premium Disney bundle (Hulu and ESPN+), Prime, Apple+, Max premium, Paramount and Peacock for about $92 a month.

WiFi seems irrelevant. People are paying for that whether they're streaming or plugged in.

Not Tower, but I pay significantly less to stream (YouTube TV, plus Netflix, Apple, Max and Prime) than I did for DirecTV. Even five years after I cut the cable and a couple of YouTube TV fee hikes later, it's still about 40% less and I have more options.

Give it a year and we’ll have a streaming is doomed thread.  Save some ammo
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Apple. Doomed.
NFL. Doomed.
Cities. Doomed.
Hollywood. Doomed.
Human actors. Doomed.
Amazon. Doomed.

I'm beginning to see a trend.
Don’t forget:
People-driven cars
Car dealerships

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Don’t forget:
People-driven cars
Car dealerships

I think Marquette was included too

tower912

• All American
It is my recollection that in a previous iteration Heisy said he makes his money off of instability and turmoil.   Perhaps my aged mind is incorrect.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
Apple. Doomed.
NFL. Doomed.
Cities. Doomed.
Hollywood. Doomed.
Human actors. Doomed.
Amazon. Doomed.

I'm beginning to see a trend.

Every thread from Smuggles is a Daily Dose of Doom thread. He's a real happy-go-lucky guy.

He might even be right about one eventually. Hopefully Fox News Doomed.

jficke13

• All American
I can get on board with “car dealerships are doomed.”

Screw the finding of a pinch point in economic activity,
Squatting on it, and rent seeking.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
I can get on board with “car dealerships are doomed.”

Screw the finding of a pinch point in economic activity,
Squatting on it, and rent seeking.
Theoretically, me too.  In reality, it’s never going to happen.

Pakuni

• All American
Thanks for the great additions!

Apple. Doomed.
NFL. Doomed.
Cities. Doomed.
Hollywood. Doomed.
Human actors. Doomed.
Amazon. Doomed.
Marquette. Doomed.
Fox News. Doomed.
Driving. Doomed.
Auto dealers: Doomed.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Is the circle jerk doomed?

Sparks have to be flying off your hands with these recent posts.

Not A Serious Person

• All American

So I don’t see a way to watch MU games as you’re not paying for Fox Sports. How do you watch them?

How about Fox News, you certainly have an opinion about Tucker but no way to watch him.

Did you forget to add your $100/month cable bill to the list above?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 07:13:59 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

Pakuni

• All American
Is the circle jerk doomed?

Sparks have to be flying off your hands with these recent posts.

Uh-oh
Heisey is getting salty.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
So I don’t see a way to watch MU games as you’re not paying for Fox Sports. How do you watch them?

How about Fox News, you certainly have an opinion about Tucker but no way to watch him.

Did you forget to add your $100/month cable bill to the list above?

Ummm, YouTube TV?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Related to this topic,  I was surprised to learn today that someone is reopening the movie theatre at Bayshore after being closed for several years. Didn't think people were still opening movie theatres
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:28:23 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

MU82

• All American
Related to this topic,  I was surprised to learn today that someone is reopening the movie theatre at Bayshore after being closed die several years. Didn't think people were still opening movie theatres

Movie Theaters - Doomed!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Movie Theaters - Doomed!

Depending on your definition of doomed,  I agree with that one. Movie theatres will survive for decades longer,  but their numbers and prevelance will be greatly diminished. Which is sad,  I still love going to the movies
TAMU

Not A Serious Person

• All American

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Saw some interesting stats today ..

2012 to 2022: (inflation adjusted)
Pay TV (cable) down $67b (-51%)
Movie Theaters down $6b, (-46%)
Streaming up $27b (+923%)
TOTAL Entertainment revs: DOWN $60b (-36%).

Really surprised me that the total entertainment pie has shrunk more than a third .. yet there are more entertainment/streaming folks chasing pieces.

Ad rev 2022:
Youtube: $29b versus NBC + CBS + ABC $28b.
TikTok $10b - Didn't exist 5 years ago.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Saw some interesting stats today ..

2012 to 2022: (inflation adjusted)
Pay TV (cable) down $67b (-51%)
Movie Theaters down $6b, (-46%)
Streaming up $27b (+923%)
TOTAL Entertainment revs: DOWN $60b (-36%).

Really surprised me that the total entertainment pie has shrunk more than a third .. yet there are more entertainment/streaming folks chasing pieces.

Ad rev 2022:
Youtube: $29b versus NBC + CBS + ABC $28b.
TikTok $10b - Didn't exist 5 years ago.

I definitely go to the box office less.

However my fees for TV and internet are probably up over that timeframe.  This massive decline has to be advertising related right?

MU82

• All American

Movie theaters were hurt worst than most business from Covid. If you look at the very end of that graphic you posted, you'll see a pretty robust comeback -- and that's despite very few blockbusters having come out.

It will be a difficult road back, not helped at all by these strikes, and theaters might never return to their pre-pandemic success. Heck, they might actually be doomed. We'll have to see.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Don’t forget:
People-driven cars
Car dealerships

Iirc, it wasnt just people driven cars that were doomed, it was people owned cars too. I recall a prediction that by around now people would no longer own personal cars but instead would have car subscriptions where they could pick up any nearby car and drive it and park it wherever for a monthly fee
TAMU

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Iirc, it wasnt just people driven cars that were doomed, it was people owned cars too. I recall a prediction that by around now people would no longer own personal cars but instead would have car subscriptions where they could pick up any nearby car and drive it and park it wherever for a monthly fee
you are probably correct...that sounds familiar.

MU82

• All American
We were all gonna be taking our flying saucers to our jobs at either Spacely Sprockets or Cogswell Cogs.

feedback