collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter Reading Limits  (Read 13939 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Twitter Reading Limits
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2023, 09:17:30 AM »
I have no opinion about Meta's threads. If it takes over, I'll move to it just like everyone moved from My Space to Facebook.

That said, this is not the first time that Meta (Facebook) has come out with a "killer" app."

I don't pretend to know whether Threads will replace or significantly diminish Twitter, but I would suggest today's environment is vastly different from that of 2016. Twitter is significantly weaker and users are particularly motivated to search for an alternative, especially in light of the new limits - which are looking less temporary - and the move to put Tweetdeck behind a paywall.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:45 AM »
I think the issue is "Threads" like FB's version of Stories or Reels would require people to be FB users.  I think thats the biggest hurdle.  I would imagine the overlap of regular Twitter users and regular FB users is not super clean.

For example, I use Twitter TONS for news and information.  But even though I have had a FB account for 15 years, I don't go on more than once a month, if that.  So I'm not going to migrate over to that.  If it was a Twitter competitor that was a new tab or function on something I use regularly like IG, then I could see the appeal.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2023, 11:04:59 AM »
Lol, can you imagine, sitting here today and thinking that the Matt Taibbi "Twitter Files" gave any meaningful insight into Twitter's pre-Musk business practices?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2023, 11:14:45 AM »
I think the issue is "Threads" like FB's version of Stories or Reels would require people to be FB users.  I think thats the biggest hurdle.  I would imagine the overlap of regular Twitter users and regular FB users is not super clean.

Is this true? I've seen that all you need is an Instagram account.
Not sure about the overlap between Twitter and Insta users, but as has been noted, there are about eight times more Insta users than Twitter users.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2023, 11:15:03 AM »
Lol, can you imagine, sitting here today and thinking that the Matt Taibbi "Twitter Files" gave any meaningful insight into Twitter's pre-Musk business practices?

I was pretty surprised to see that goverment agencies were telling twitter who to censor. I always assumed it was more of a like-minded approach rather than twitter censoring at the behest of these entities.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2023, 06:58:42 PM »
Threads is live - a little ahead of time.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3985821-instagram-launches-twitter-killer-threads-text-app

Instagram has launched Threads, its short-posting text app, as Meta (NASDAQ:META) chief Mark Zuckerberg takes on Elon Musk and a reeling Twitter (TWTR).

After signaling a launch expected for Thursday morning, with preorder links set up only for the iOS Threads app, Meta released its app Wednesday evening on Apple's App Store as well as an Android app for Google Play.

"Let's do this," Zuckerberg said. "Welcome to Threads."

As with Twitter, users can post short text and links, as well as repost messages from others and reply to posts. Threads users can use their existing Instagram usernames to bring information over, including lists of followers.

The timing of the launch is fortuitous for Meta Platforms (META), as recent technical changes at Twitter (TWTR) from owner Elon Musk have frustrated some longtime users of the platform.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2023, 07:50:09 PM »
Good timing, Twitter managed to largely delist themselves from Google. People will be looking for an alternative when they can't find what they're looking for.

These Twitter own goals are pretty funny.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2023, 07:54:09 PM »
Good timing, Twitter managed to largely delist themselves from Google. People will be looking for an alternative when they can't find what they're looking for.

These Twitter own goals are pretty funny.

Oh no...you know who will re-enter the topic...

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2023, 07:55:52 PM »

Oh no...you know who will re-enter the topic...

My head cannon is that the mods pay them to keep the drama flowing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2023, 06:54:09 AM »
10 million Threads sign-ups in the first 7 hours. Obviously, way way way too early to tell how many more will join or how many will be frequent users.

But Zuck is crowing.

“It’ll take some time, but I think there should be a public conversations app with 1 billion+ people on it,” Zuckerberg said on the app Wednesday night. “Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn’t nailed it. Hopefully we will.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2023, 07:08:15 AM »
10 million Threads sign-ups in the first 7 hours. Obviously, way way way too early to tell how many more will join or how many will be frequent users.

But Zuck is crowing.

“It’ll take some time, but I think there should be a public conversations app with 1 billion+ people on it,” Zuckerberg said on the app Wednesday night. “Twitter has had the opportunity to do this but hasn’t nailed it. Hopefully we will.”

Lot of work to be done there to make it functional
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »
Lot of work to be done there to make it functional

Agree totally. I signed up and it's just one big jumble. For now, Zuck is happy to have something to troll Elon about, but sooner than later Threads has to be a lot better or it'll be irrelevant.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2023, 08:52:20 AM »
Not sure if it's true because I don't have any interest in signing up to find out for myself, but I'm seeing an awful lot of people sharing screenshots from a Threads FAQ explaining that there's no way to turn off a non-chronological, algo-produced feed, i.e. the damn thing is somehow, by design, worse than twitter which at least gives you a "following" tab.

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2023, 09:00:36 AM »
Not sure if it's true because I don't have any interest in signing up to find out for myself, but I'm seeing an awful lot of people sharing screenshots from a Threads FAQ explaining that there's no way to turn off a non-chronological, algo-produced feed, i.e. the damn thing is somehow, by design, worse than twitter which at least gives you a "following" tab.

Right. So they are basically using the Facebook algorithm, which everyone hates. If they can't do the chronological thing, I think that's going to annoy a lot of people.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2023, 09:05:02 AM »
Right. So they are basically using the Facebook algorithm, which everyone hates. If they can't do the chronological thing, I think that's going to annoy a lot of people.

Agree.  It’ll be a no go for me if I can’t get chronological info
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2023, 02:44:43 PM »
Musk threatening to sue Zuck over Threads.     How predictable.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2023, 02:48:45 PM »

Thought they were going to settle this in the octagon, like the manly men they are.
Weak, Elon. Weak.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2023, 02:50:07 PM »
Elon Musk: Patent Troll

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2023, 02:54:54 PM »
Thought they were going to settle this in the octagon, like the manly men they are.
Weak, Elon. Weak.

Who do you want to see on the undercard?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2023, 03:08:35 PM »

Buffett v Gates

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »

Goodell vs Portnoy
Loser leaves town match

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2023, 03:13:11 PM »
Prighozin v Putin.    Appropriate to this due to their involvement in Russian bot farms.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2023, 04:08:15 PM »

If he’s suing that means he sees it as a legitimate threat

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2023, 04:33:09 PM »
Weak, Elon. Weak.
Imagine a person being such a douche that you have to cheer for Zuck
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2023, 04:53:54 PM »
Imagine a person being such a douche that you have to cheer for Zuck

SMOD 2023 is still the 3rd option.

feedback