Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anyone surprised?  (Read 11783 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Anyone surprised?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2023, 04:43:14 PM »
UW hired drivers and minders for Bielma, Barry, and Bo. 

Bo and Barry were man whores and Bielma would give his people the slip like in a bad spy movie.

Perhaps WVU''s funds were depleted? Huggy could have hired a fleet of limos Ziggy. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2023, 09:08:58 PM »
I think he was forced to resign because the empty beer cans turned out to be bud light…..

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2023, 09:23:28 PM »
Apparently the "Country Roads Trust" will allow WVU to go after Coach K and others. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2023, 07:17:15 AM »
I spilled some drinks with Huggy & Mike Deane at Turners back in the day.  Never met a coach who loved Marquette and understood what it meant more than Bob Huggins.

Really hope he gets the help he needs bc there is a good many under there but he has a lot of work to do.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2023, 07:18:43 AM »
UW hired drivers and minders for Bielma, Barry, and Bo. 

Bo and Barry were man whores and Bielma would give his people the slip like in a bad spy movie.

MPD was known to give BB rides home from various establishments around town.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2023, 08:51:38 AM »
Look, there is something about Huggie Bear I always loved. Kinda like Digger Phelps. He was the enemy but he was an enemy you could hate and love at the same time and laugh with.

Maybe that's why Buzz danced on the UVW logo years ago.

I hope Huggie gets the treatment he needs. Somehow, I think there is an incredibly decent human being under the rough exterior. But he needs a lot of help!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2023, 11:30:14 AM »
Look, there is something about Huggie Bear I always loved. Kinda like Digger Phelps. He was the enemy but he was an enemy you could hate and love at the same time and laugh with.

I ask this as the child of an ND alum who grew up rooting for ND (and still root for them in football): What in the hell could you possibly love about Digger Phelps? You might want to see a neurologist. I fear that there may be something seriously wrong with you.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2023, 11:45:51 AM »
dgies

I always have a soft spot for Huggins. I loved to beat him and loved how his teams played. I hope he gets the needed help and has a great retirement. I will miss him.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2023, 12:09:55 PM »
I ask this as the child of an ND alum who grew up rooting for ND (and still root for them in football): What in the hell could you possibly love about Digger Phelps? You might want to see a neurologist. I fear that there may be something seriously wrong with you.

Ha!  I agree.  Don’t know many ND fans/alums that like Digger.  I get the impression he was a complete dick to people in and around ND.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2023, 12:15:24 PM »

Maybe that's why Buzz danced on the UVW logo years ago.

I hope Huggie gets the treatment he needs. Somehow, I think there is an incredibly decent human being under the rough exterior. But he needs a lot of help!

I absolutely despised Huggins in the Cincy era.  But I was a kid and overly emotional  ;D

I loved WVU era Huggins, even when they were a thorn in Marquette's side in the BE era.  He's old school (in some not great ways) but he seems like someone who is genuinely kind/caring and generous and loyal to those around him.  Jordan McCabe had a post this weekend about how Huggins brought his mother to Morgantown and made sure she got the absolute best treatment when she was battling cancer.

I spilled some drinks with Huggy & Mike Deane at Turners back in the day.  Never met a coach who loved Marquette and understood what it meant more than Bob Huggins.

I ran into Huggins in a bar in Morgantown (shocking!) in my early 20s, maybe a year or so after he took the WVU job.  As my friend and I were like "oh sh** its Huggins" and debated what to say to him, he looked over and saw the throwback MU shirt t shirt I happened to be wearing and said "thats a pretty awesome shirt man" and proceeded to talk about Marquette with us for like 5 min.  Completely changed my perception of him for the better at the time.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2023, 12:27:50 PM »
I absolutely despised Huggins in the Cincy era.  But I was a kid and overly emotional  ;D

Same... grew up absolutely hating him and those Cincy teams.

I know people make fun of the moment, but what changed my view on him was when Da'Sean Butler blew his knee out at the Final Four. The guy was hysterical on the court and Huggins immediately went into parent mode to try and calm him down.

I hope Huggy can get whatever help he needs.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2023, 01:31:46 PM »

I loved WVU era Huggins, even when they were a thorn in Marquette's side in the BE era.  He's old school (in some not great ways) but he seems like someone who is genuinely kind/caring and generous and loyal to those around him.  Jordan McCabe had a post this weekend about how Huggins brought his mother to Morgantown and made sure she got the absolute best treatment when she was battling cancer.

I ran into Huggins in a bar in Morgantown (shocking!) in my early 20s, maybe a year or so after he took the WVU job.  As my friend and I were like "oh sh** its Huggins" and debated what to say to him, he looked over and saw the throwback MU shirt t shirt I happened to be wearing and said "thats a pretty awesome shirt man" and proceeded to talk about Marquette with us for like 5 min.  Completely changed my perception of him for the better at the time.

FWIW
This was just before COVID.  One of my California cousins moved to Morgantown when her husband got accepted to get some PHd PhysEd program that WVU is well known for.  On one school break they paid a visit to Connecticut to visit all the family in the area.  The husband said Huggins was generous with his time on campus and was very well liked by the entire WVU staff.  He was nice to everyone, routinely did any favor the university asked and even made a point to attend staff & university meetings where sports team coaches generally were expected to be no shows. 
I hope he gets the help he needs because seeing him on the sidelines was always entertaining.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2023, 01:44:09 PM »

I hope he gets the help he needs because seeing him on the sidelines was always entertaining.

I remember him getting tossed in a game and, after continuing to fume and rant for a while, he finally headed into the tunnel. Then he turned around shortly afterward and came back out to fume and rant some more before going back into the tunnel and heading to the locker room.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2023, 03:09:47 PM »
Yeah, this is one of those situations that’s so bad I just feel sorry for the person. Thank god he didn’t injure or kill someone driving. Obviously in the throes of a deep and disabling addiction.
Hard to feel sorry for Thuggins. Do hope he can turn his life around though.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2023, 03:30:41 PM »
Hard to feel sorry for Thuggins. Do hope he can turn his life around though.

Thanks, Wally
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »
Hey, at least he's not making another Porcini's joke.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2023, 05:01:38 PM »
Hey, at least he's not making another Porcini's joke.

Huggy bear is more of a "bang the waitress from IHOP" kinda guy.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2023, 05:51:50 PM »

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆 this👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2023, 05:54:38 PM »
Ha!  I agree.  Don’t know many ND fans/alums that like Digger.  I get the impression he was a complete dick to people in and around ND.

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆and this👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

He was an arrogant prick back in the day. Get the impression he has mellowed a bit now. 

Still, ND sucks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2023, 06:10:58 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2023, 08:08:20 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2023, 08:35:23 PM »
Huggins Daughter comes to Daddies Defense

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/bob-huggins-daughter-slams-west-virginia-backstabbers-after-his-dui-ouster/

He’s not an alcoholic, but offered to go to rehab.

And he recycles!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2023, 09:05:41 PM »
Huggins Daughter comes to Daddies Defense

https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/bob-huggins-daughter-slams-west-virginia-backstabbers-after-his-dui-ouster/

That was awesome! But she failed to mention Huggy drank the beers to keep some minors from drinking them. He was trying to help American youths. Selfless to the end.  ::)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2023, 09:56:53 PM »
That was awesome! But she failed to mention Huggy drank the beers to keep some minors from drinking them. He was trying to help American youths. Selfless to the end.  ::)

Cut her some slack. She loves her Dad and is in denial. Unless she’s an alcoholic too she knows that that the “ he drinks like 90% of us” is BS but it’s how she’s coping.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2023, 10:22:32 PM »
Cut her some slack. She loves her Dad and is in denial. Unless she’s an alcoholic too she knows that that the “ he drinks like 90% of us” is BS but it’s how she’s coping.

You are probably right but Coping on Twitter is never a good idea…….

feedback