[Today at 09:11:45 AM]

Where is Marquette? by rocky_warrior
[Today at 09:10:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What does OMax' decision mean for MU?  (Read 8188 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] What does OMax' decision mean for MU?
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »
Dwelling on Wade going pro in 2003 makes about as much sense as fretting about why Wemby hasn’t committed to Shaka yet. Blue’s decision to go pro was frustrating because it was obvious that he needed to show out for another year in order to get drafted, but that’s the risk you take when cheering for a bunch of 20 year old basketball players. And we might not have the ‘77 banner if Al doesn’t demonstrate his unconditional support of his players by backing Chones going to the ABA.

I’m mostly glad that we’re back to the point where we have to worry about our players leaving school early… it’s a good problem to have.

Brother Guerrero:

I think you miss my point. I'm not dwelling on Wade turning pro as much as I am lamenting the notion that as we have something special, too often something happens.

I agree that it's wonderful that we're debating about the NBA readiness of our players -- especially when we are talking about a guy who was the fourth best of our five starters last year. Next year still intrigues me but, instead of having what many think was a Top 5 team, we probably have a team that barely cracks the Top 10. After seven years of Coach Wojo, I promise that's a good thing.

Coach Shaka has done a wonderful thing for us and has us back on the road to "being Marquette!" All of you who didn't live through the 1970s will experience something special in the coming years! I can promise, you'll get really spoiled really quickly!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2023, 10:11:43 AM »
Brother Guerrero:

I think you miss my point. I'm not dwelling on Wade turning pro as much as I am lamenting the notion that as we have something special, too often something happens.

I agree that it's wonderful that we're debating about the NBA readiness of our players -- especially when we are talking about a guy who was the fourth best of our five starters last year. Next year still intrigues me but, instead of having what many think was a Top 5 team, we probably have a team that barely cracks the Top 10. After seven years of Coach Wojo, I promise that's a good thing.

Coach Shaka has done a wonderful thing for us and has us back on the road to "being Marquette!" All of you who didn't live through the 1970s will experience something special in the coming years! I can promise, you'll get really spoiled really quickly!
100%. I’m all for MU guys making it as pro’s, but frustrating to lose a player just when the pinnacle (F4) seems attainable. Still might happen with this team, but like our odds better if Omax had returned.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2023, 01:03:28 PM »
Brother Guerrero:

I guess I just don’t view a talented player who played well for MU going pro as “something happening” or bad luck even. It’s just the natural consequence of having a good program. Dom James getting hurt right before the tourney was bad luck to bemoan. Hauser gate was bad personnel management that makes you want to tear your hair out. OMax working hard to turn himself into a first round pick is just something to celebrate.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2023, 04:07:15 PM »
OMax working hard to turn himself into a first round pick is just something to celebrate.

*potential first round pick
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2023, 05:01:51 PM »
I think I've been higher on OMax than most since he got to Marquette 2 years ago, so maybe that's why I'm over-exaggerating, but I think the absence of his athleticism and defensive ability is going to really be a hole in Marquette's roster.

I think Joplin and Gold are great at what they do, but neither replicate anything close to OMax.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »
I think I've been higher on OMax than most since he got to Marquette 2 years ago, so maybe that's why I'm over-exaggerating, but I think the absence of his athleticism and defensive ability is going to really be a hole in Marquette's roster.

I think Joplin and Gold are great at what they do, but neither replicate anything close to OMax.

Most here valued O-Max’s defense very much. It absolutely will be missed, as will his energy overall. Optimists hope that others will have improved - as so many Marquette players (including O-Max) did this past season - to adequately replace him in the lineup next season.

We have several good players returning, including the Big East POY, an all-conference scorer, a gifted big, a defensive standout and the top BE 6th man. We are well-positioned to have another great season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2023, 08:04:12 PM »
Loved Omax, but it should help some having 5 players standing more often on the court.