[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Aaron Rodgers Post Packers Thread  (Read 24513 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Aaron Rodgers Post Packers Thread
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2023, 02:59:55 PM »
Any chance he comes to regret this?

@TomPelissero
Saleh says they'll look at veteran and young QBs to fill out the room, but clarifies: "Under no circumstances is any of this a competition. This is Zach (Wilson)’s team and we’re rolling with Zach.”

I’m not sure he can say anything else at this point. He can’t really say they are burning up the phone lines trying to find a starter in the event they can’t get someone quickly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #176 on: September 12, 2023, 03:00:15 PM »

@TomPelissero
Saleh says they'll look at veteran and young QBs to fill out the room, but clarifies: "Under no circumstances is any of this a competition. This is Zach (Wilson)’s team and we’re rolling with Zach.”

Perhaps, but he doesn't really have a choice.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2023, 03:13:46 PM »
Of all the Week 1 overreactions, this may be the most overreact-y.

Not a Bears fan, and I think the preseason hype around Fields has been a bit much (though not as much as around Kenny Pickett).
That said, he's pretty far down the list of reasons for the Bears' poor showing Sunday.

Don’t worry, Jockey already has deemed Poles a failure because they didn’t take Carter who had a good first game for the defending NFC champs and apparently thus all other Bear draft picks suck ::)

@TomPelissero

It’s a weird spot. Rodgers was really the perfect fit for them cause they have 2 very good RBs and a very serviceable third as well as one of the best young WRs in all of football.  But they also have a porous OL.  So a savvy veteran QB used to getting the ball out quick can utilize and guide the talents of the former while minimizing the latter.  But it’s not necessarily a fit for any veteran (for example Wentz would be a DISASTER there IMO). So might as well roll with the younger guy who at least knows your system

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »
I’m not sure he can say anything else at this point. He can’t really say they are burning up the phone lines trying to find a starter in the event they can’t get someone quickly.

I know he can't say that. But saying that "under no circumstances" seems likely to be a false statement, unless Wilson shows something he's never shown in any consistent way before (i.e. competence).
Perhaps just say "Zach is our starting quarterback" and leave it there.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 03:22:33 PM by Pakuni »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2023, 03:33:35 PM »
Don’t worry, Jockey already has deemed Poles a failure because they didn’t take Carter who had a good first game for the defending NFC champs and apparently thus all other Bear draft picks suck ::)

It’s a weird spot. Rodgers was really the perfect fit for them cause they have 2 very good RBs and a very serviceable third as well as one of the best young WRs in all of football.  But they also have a porous OL.  So a savvy veteran QB used to getting the ball out quick can utilize and guide the talents of the former while minimizing the latter.  But it’s not necessarily a fit for any veteran (for example Wentz would be a DISASTER there IMO). So might as well roll with the younger guy who at least knows your system

But was he though?

Capable of getting the ball out quick? Absolutely. In the habit of doing so? Absolutely not.

I would venture that any realistic grading of his sacks put a decent number on his shoulders after having decided to hold the ball too long in the hopes that he could either find a window that comes open late or out of a refusal to force a higher-risk-of-INT shot. His season and perhaps his career ended on exactly that, a designed 3-step drop quick hitter that saw the OT go for a cut block and the decision to hold the ball too long and then a sack. GB fans saw that exact play (albeit w/o the catastrophic injury) happen dozens of times

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2023, 03:46:56 PM »

Maybe jockitch is actually Gary woeful with his takes.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2023, 03:51:06 PM »

I think when you have a shot at a premium player at a very premium position - you take him.

Great three technique DLs are hare to find. Certainly exponentially harder to find that a good WR or right tackle. Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Quinnen Williams type players don't grow on trees.

Everyone  agrees that the single biggest weakness on the bears last year was the defensive front. Yet they pass on a possible generational type DL; the consensus best player in the draft.

They said when they traded Roquan last year that an off ball defender at linebacker was not important in the defensive scheme so instead of worrying about the defensive line, they spent their money on more linebackers. Edmunds is an outstanding player who made zero difference on Sunday because of the anemic offensive line. GB has a good OL with 3 high quality players, but they aren't THAT good. People are raving about the game that Love played, but Sunday against the Bears was no tougher than a Wednesday afternoon practice when Love wears a red jersey.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2023, 03:53:34 PM »
Maybe jockitch is actually Gary woeful with his takes.

Careful!  Rico's gonna start rating your posts if you keep this up.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2023, 04:02:30 PM »
Careful!  Rico's gonna start rating your posts if you keep this up.

Rico molests collies.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2023, 04:07:18 PM »
Rico is no Judge Smails.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2023, 04:10:09 PM »
I think when you have a shot at a premium player at a very premium position - you take him.

Great three technique DLs are hare to find. Certainly exponentially harder to find that a good WR or right tackle. Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Quinnen Williams type players don't grow on trees.

Everyone  agrees that the single biggest weakness on the bears last year was the defensive front. Yet they pass on a possible generational type DL; the consensus best player in the draft.

I think you're oversimplifying this.
Under normal circumstances, Carter is a top 3-4 pick and gets nowhere near the Bears. But his circumstances weren't normal and several of other teams who could use a good 3-tech (Seattle, Houston, Arizona, Vegas) also took a pass on him.
Carter was a walking red flag. His issues go beyond his driving.
If his problems don't resurface, the Eagles got a great talent at #10 overall. Good for them. And him.
But the teams that passed on him had good reasons for doing so, not just because they're all stooopid.
He's one game into his NFL career. Give it a couple years before rendering a verdict.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2023, 04:33:20 PM »
Rico molests collies.

At least I’m not in the closet, aina? 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2023, 04:39:58 PM »
https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-to-receive-second-round-pick-in-2024-nfl-draft-following-aaron-rodgers-i

If I'm the Packers I'd take a 3rd rounder to release the NYJ first round from escrow so they can pursue an upgrade

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2023, 04:41:26 PM »
Thanks, Captain Obvious

Agreed. Can't believe someone actually spent the time to write and post an article on that.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2023, 04:46:51 PM »
I think you're oversimplifying this.
Under normal circumstances, Carter is a top 3-4 pick and gets nowhere near the Bears. But his circumstances weren't normal and several of other teams who could use a good 3-tech (Seattle, Houston, Arizona, Vegas) also took a pass on him.
Carter was a walking red flag. His issues go beyond his driving.
If his problems don't resurface, the Eagles got a great talent at #10 overall. Good for them. And him.
But the teams that passed on him had good reasons for doing so, not just because they're all stooopid.
He's one game into his NFL career. Give it a couple years before rendering a verdict.

Maybe I am oversimplifying, but Carter was the consensus as the #1 player in the draft - at a position that was the #1 need for the Bears (unless that would be at QB). He obviously fell over the red flags.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2023, 06:07:34 PM »
Maybe I am oversimplifying, but Carter was the consensus as the #1 player in the draft - at a position that was the #1 need for the Bears (unless that would be at QB). He obviously fell over the red flags.

Sure, but there were huge red flags, as mentioned, the Bears weren’t the only team to pass on him.  So passing on him isn’t some indictment of “same old front office” like you implied, for a FO that inherited a mess with a lot of holes and a ton of work to do.  Also, I’m not sure the DL was the consensus biggest weakness when the OL was allowing anyone behind them to be slaughtered.

I’ll rail on Poles for the Claypool f-up.  But not for being cautious when an enigma played one good game in a tiny sample set

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2023, 06:32:07 PM »
Jets fans just need to do one thing, obviously.

R-E-L-A-X.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2023, 06:42:52 PM »

I agree and said it at the time. Before the red flags Carter was considered the best player in the draft. If the Bears were going to hold on to #1 he would have been their guy. Taking him at #9 alongside all the other pieces they got for the #1 had the potential to turn their draft into a home run. A gamble, yes - but one worth taking imo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2023, 03:18:37 PM »
Amazing that Rodgers only made 4 snaps in a Jets uniform... well 5 if you count his Achilles.

Not my joke, but I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, he should probably just retire.  The fact that he hasn't come out and said anything yet... leads me to believe this is what he will do.

I feel bad for the guy. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2023, 03:31:14 PM »
Amazing that Rodgers only made 4 snaps in a Jets uniform... well 5 if you count his Achilles.

Not my joke, but I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, he should probably just retire.  The fact that he hasn't come out and said anything yet... leads me to believe this is what he will do.

I feel bad for the guy. 

Meant to post in the dad joke thread?