[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants and their "use" of salt  (Read 5198 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Restaurants and their "use" of salt
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 09:58:46 AM »
Anthony Bourdain said the reason food in restaurants tastes better,  than at home, is because chefs use a lot of salt and a lot of butter.  Early on and also at the finish - salt and butter. And they mean a lot when they say they use a lot. FYI: He also said shallots versus onions doesn’t hurt either.  So if you want to impress guests load your food up with salt and butter - a lot more than you think and then some - and use shallots.

For most of the population, avoiding salt is important. A doc described it as sandpaper for your arteries, at least the effects. The salt industry would like you to think it is fine unless you are “allergic” to it. My understanding is that for most of us, we need to cut down on salt for a lot a health reasons and side effects - not just high blood pressure - that accumulate over time.

For those of us that avoid salt, we taste it in everything and it ruins a lot of meals out. For those that don’t avoid it, it is just normal, so you won’t notice it. So yes, restaurants over salt as a habit, at least to those of us who avoid it, but so does almost all prepared and frozen foods.  A lot of companies have started reducing salt in prepared foods, but reducing 1/3 of a really high number helps, but not much.  I read sodium on things before I buy, most stuff goes back on the shelf or freezer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 10:20:14 AM »
I am surprised he hasn't been repping the stories of orcas attacking boats.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 10:43:02 AM »
Truly an as-salt on diners' senses!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 06:36:30 PM »
Anthony Bourdain said the reason food in restaurants tastes better,  than at home, is because chefs use a lot of salt and a lot of butter.  Early on and also at the finish - salt and butter. And they mean a lot when they say they use a lot. FYI: He also said shallots versus onions doesn’t hurt either.  So if you want to impress guests load your food up with salt and butter - a lot more than you think and then some - and use shallots.

For most of the population, avoiding salt is important. A doc described it as sandpaper for your arteries, at least the effects. The salt industry would like you to think it is fine unless you are “allergic” to it. My understanding is that for most of us, we need to cut down on salt for a lot a health reasons and side effects - not just high blood pressure - that accumulate over time.

For those of us that avoid salt, we taste it in everything and it ruins a lot of meals out. For those that don’t avoid it, it is just normal, so you won’t notice it. So yes, restaurants over salt as a habit, at least to those of us who avoid it, but so does almost all prepared and frozen foods.  A lot of companies have started reducing salt in prepared foods, but reducing 1/3 of a really high number helps, but not much.  I read sodium on things before I buy, most stuff goes back on the shelf or freezer.

I disagree a bit with this analysis because I'm 40 and don't "avoid salt".  The issue is whether they need to use 10 times the normal amount and whether it actually makes the food taste better?  I think with certain vegetables and bland foods you can almost anticipate how much salt and butter they're going to use.  I would also make a major distinction between too much butter vs too much salt if we're talking about taste.  Maybe we need to analyze this depending on the actual dish one orders?  What I do know is if I'm tasting a vat of salt in my mussels, when the components of butter, shallots, fennel, garlic, white wine, and an array of herbs, it should be more than ample to extract flavor, something is deeply wrong.   I also think "food tastes better at restaurants" is highly, highly, and I mean highly debatable.  It depends on the cuisine and how good one is as a home chef. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:12:12 PM by MuggsyB »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 07:01:15 PM »
I disagree a bit with this analysis because I'm 40 and don't "avoid salt".  The issue is whether they need to use 10 times the normal amount and whether it actually makes the food taste better?  I think with certain vegetables and bland foods you can almost anticipate how much salt and butter they're going to use.  I would also make a major distinction between too much butter vs too much salt if we're talking about taste.  Maybe we need to analyze this depending on the actual dish one orders?  What I do know is if I'm tasting a vat of salt in my mussels, when the components of butter, shallots, fennel, garlic, white wine, and array of spices should be more than ample to extract flavor, something is deeply wrong.
If the mussels taste too salty, they probably are not very fresh. Many places add salt to the broth when the mussels start to get fishy.Otherwise no salt is needed for mussels. Learned that in France.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 07:03:33 PM »
I disagree a bit with this analysis because I'm 40 and don't "avoid salt".  The issue is whether they need to use 10 times the normal amount and whether it actually makes the food taste better?  I think with certain vegetables and bland foods you can almost anticipate how much salt and butter they're going to use.  I would also make a major distinction between too much butter vs too much salt if we're talking about taste.  Maybe we need to analyze this depending on the actual dish one orders?  What I do know is if I'm tasting a vat of salt in my mussels, when the components of butter, shallots, fennel, garlic, white wine, and array of spices should be more than ample to extract flavor, something is deeply wrong.

So you went out for a meal that you thought was too salty, but everyone else thought their food was fine.  You did nothing about it at the restaurant.  Instead you go to a public forum and accuse restaurants in general of  [checks notes] "trying to kill people".

Here is where you went wrong:

1.  You should have told your server that your food was far saltier than you were expecting and ask for something else or for the dish to be remade.  At a nice restaurant, this request should certainly be accomodated.
2.  Since you mentioned that for you, this in an ongoing problem, you should tell your server ahead of time that you don't like a lot of salt in your food, and could they please not add any salt during its preparation so you can salt it to your taste at the table.

Anything else is just yelling at clouds.
Have some patience, FFS.

panda

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2023, 07:23:37 PM »
So you went out for a meal that you thought was too salty, but everyone else thought their food was fine.  You did nothing about it at the restaurant.  Instead you go to a public forum and accuse restaurants in general of  [checks notes] "trying to kill people".

1.  You should have told your server that your food was far saltier than you were expecting and ask for something else or for the dish to be remade.  At a nice restaurant, this request should certainly be accomodated.
2.  Since you mentioned that for you, this in an ongoing problem, you should tell your server ahead of time that you don't like a lot of salt in your food, and could they please not add any salt during its preparation so you can salt it to your taste at the table.

Stop mansplaining dining

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2023, 07:25:08 PM »

There should be a Superbar thread dedicated to “Old Men Yelling at Clouds”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2023, 07:25:36 PM »

I don't think I'm yelling at clouds.  I believe my friends and many others are polite and also conform to societal gaslighting.  I could say my palate is more sophisticated but what's actually going on is people losing rudimentary focus and accepting that everything is wonderful at most of our eating establishments because others tell them how great they are.  I will stand by my oversalting rant. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:33:21 PM by MuggsyB »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2023, 07:49:44 PM »
I don't think I'm yelling at clouds.  I believe my friends and many others are polite and also conform to societal gaslighting.  I could say my palate is more sophisticated but what's actually going on is people losing rudimentary focus and accepting that everything is wonderful at most of our eating establishments because others tell them how great they are.  I will stand by my oversalting rant.

Boy this word salad is salty.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2023, 08:21:58 PM »
Any evidence dietary sodium intake leads to health problems in otherwise healthy adults?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 08:55:50 PM »
I didn't send it back because everyone else seemed to enjoy their food.

How do you type those words and come to the conclusion that it’s the restaurant’s problem and not yours? You’re saying, “Everyone else (including presumably a very talented professional chef at a high end restaurant) was wrong and I was right.” Here’s a tip: if everyone else seemed to enjoy their food, it was probably good food.

Ok, so you’re doubling down on, “I am right and everyone else is wrong.” Got it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 09:01:09 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »
Sugar is far worse in my opinion.  Diet and health wise. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2023, 09:34:38 PM »
How do you type those words and come to the conclusion that it’s the restaurant’s problem and not yours? You’re saying, “Everyone else (including presumably a very talented professional chef at a high end restaurant) was wrong and I was right.” Here’s a tip: if everyone else seemed to enjoy their food, it was probably good food.

Ok, so you’re doubling down on, “I am right and everyone else is wrong.” Got it.

I am curious what the data shows as far as salt portions at the average restaurant vs what one uses at home.  Let's conservatively say it's 5 times more?
I would challenge our Scoop chefs to make some of their signature dishes, with 5 times as much salt, and ask whether or not their recipes are better or worse?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2023, 09:44:04 PM »
Boy this word salad is salty.

That reminds me. Has anyone else ever been served a salad with salt added? We have. I find it odd. And not something I want again.

I suspect sugar is likely worse and adds calories. Salt , sugar, fat, the trifecta of what people crave and fast food sells us all combined. Salt, for many, maybe the least evil of the three.

For Jes, I don’t have your answer for salt and an otherwise healthy adult, but  look around. There are few healthy adults.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2023, 09:50:21 PM »
I like my women like my food: I prefer zesty over salty.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2023, 01:32:23 AM »
Don’t go to Carnevor.  Milwaukee’s most overrated restaurant oversalts everything. You’ll die.   

All the food tastes the same.  Salt.

YES! This is the only restaurant that I have ever been too where I felt like the food was truly oversalted.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 01:33:07 AM »
I like my women like my food: I prefer zesty over salty.

Por que no los dos?
TAMU

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2023, 03:23:59 AM »
Any evidence dietary sodium intake leads to health problems in otherwise healthy adults?

Yeah, your schmeckle shrinks, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2023, 06:46:20 AM »
What’s worse? Salt or refined carbs?

I’ll go with carbs for worse.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2023, 08:32:10 AM »
This thread is peppered with spicy takes!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2023, 08:37:29 AM »
YES! This is the only restaurant that I have ever been too where I felt like the food was truly oversalted.

This is either shocking or totally implausible.  But you should be commended for never going to a fast food or franchise restaurant in your life.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2023, 08:58:45 AM »
This is either shocking or totally implausible.  But you should be commended for never going to a fast food or franchise restaurant in your life.

I should have added a quality standard. Also I've had individual dishes that were oversalted (most only slightly so) but Carnevor was the only restaurant where multiple dishes were oversalted.
TAMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2023, 09:20:22 AM »

I would challenge our Scoop chefs to make some of their signature dishes, with 5 times as much salt, and ask whether or not their recipes are better or worse?

My guess that any Scooper that fancies him/herself as a serious cook already uses more salt than you probably care for.
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2023, 09:28:13 AM »
My guess that any Scooper that fancies him/herself as a serious cook already uses more salt than you probably care for.
Yes. One needs salt in many dishes to build those layers of flavor, so as to not be one note. Most people undersalt their pasta water as well.