[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hey, der!!  (Read 1087 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Hey, der!!
« on: May 18, 2023, 05:20:20 PM »
What is it that we say or do in the State of Wisconsin that would cause a new resident to question whether he had merely moved to a new state, or to a new country:

1. For recreation, we"go up North", even though people who have lived here their entire lives do not have the first clue where "up North" begins and where it ends.

2. We drink water out of bubblers.

3. We have an obsession with adding "hey" to the end of every sentence, as in "how's it goin', hey??

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Hey, der!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 05:31:14 PM »
What is it that we say or do in the State of Wisconsin that would cause a new resident to question whether he had merely moved to a new state, or to a new country:

1. For recreation, we"go up North", even though people who have lived here their entire lives do not have the first clue where "up North" begins and where it ends.

3. We have an obsession with adding "hey" to the end of every sentence, as in "how's it goin', hey??

I'm going way back, but I remember that Peppermint Schappes was very popular in Wisconsin. I read somewhere that the state accounted for a huge parentage of the national consumption.

Where else but Wisconsin would people proudly wear humongous foam cheese head hats?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 05:39:59 PM »

I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life and have never ended a sentence with 'Hey'.

Do other Scooper say this?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 05:47:50 PM »
I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life and have never ended a sentence with 'Hey'.

Yep. Not as common as it used to be but I hear it and occasionally say it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 05:50:57 PM »

I think "Wisconsin" and SE WI are 2 very different things when it comes to culture and vernacular.  I watch some of those "you know you're from Wisconsin when..." and don't recognize half the stuff from daily life.

I remember a girl in my training group at my first job out of college.  She was from just south of Appleton and went to UWSP and then finished at UW.  If you sat and talked to both of us, you'd think we grew up in different countries, not a hour apart.  Her accent was THICK.

But bubbler is a real one.  I couldn't believe nobody else said it once I left the state.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 06:33:59 PM »
I think "Wisconsin" and SE WI are 2 very different things when it comes to culture and vernacular.  I watch some of those "you know you're from Wisconsin when..." and don't recognize half the stuff from daily life.

I remember a girl in my training group at my first job out of college.  She was from just south of Appleton and went to UWSP and then finished at UW.  If you sat and talked to both of us, you'd think we grew up in different countries, not a hour apart.  Her accent was THICK.

But bubbler is a real one.  I couldn't believe nobody else said it once I left the state.

Yeah, when I was a kid, ‘bubbler’ was still used a lot.

I also notice an accent even from people in Milwaukee.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 09:36:56 PM »
Do people other places eat raw ground  beef, with salt, pepper and onion. I wouldn't touch it but when I was a kid if we were having hamburgers for lunch my mother would eat a half pound of raw meat while preparing the meal. I wanted to puke just watching.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 09:41:39 PM »
Do people other places eat raw ground  beef, with salt, pepper and onion. I wouldn't touch it but when I was a kid if we were having hamburgers for lunch my mother would eat a half pound of raw meat while preparing the meal. I wanted to puke just watching.

I don't know about raw ground beef being a Wisconsin thing, but I think Dahmer cooked his food, so there's that.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 10:01:14 PM »

3. We have an obsession with adding "hey" to the end of every sentence, as in "how's it goin', hey aina??

FIFY

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 06:10:34 AM »

Yep, its a Milwaukee area thing.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 06:11:29 AM »

Yes, cannibal sandwiches are/were a thing.

Not for me.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 07:04:50 AM »
what's weird is that cannibal samiches became a thing when cooking meat was a BIG thing.  especially pork. our main sources of protein/animal were raised in less than "stellar" conditions, it was an obsession to thoroughly cook our meats(no pun intended)  due to paraities, worms etc

makes me wonder if cannibal samiches were like an F*** you to the "rules"  i remember them being especially popular around new years eve.  well, what's happening during new years eve?  drinking in mass quantities of course.  so was it, a "hold my beer and watch this" moment?

also, eating a piece of pickled herring at midnight was supposed to bring good luck to the new year
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 07:09:31 AM »
Kibbeh, Mediterranean version of tartar is wonderful. Pair it with onion, salt, olive oil on fresh flatbread.  Tough to beat.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 07:27:19 AM »
Yes, cannibal sandwiches are/were a thing.

I haven't seen one at a family event in probably 30 years, but yeah...still a thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 07:31:19 AM »

I think you're close here, but IMO there is a very distinguishable accent that comes from people who grew up on the south side of Milwaukee, Cudahy, "stallis, etc.  It has faded over the last couple of decades, but my wife's family fits all the lingual stereotypes.  We were in Cancun a couple months ago, and she got asked multiple times if she was Canadian - and she by far has less of the accent than her siblings.

Oh and its actually a linguistical thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 07:34:30 AM by The Sultan of Semantics »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 07:43:53 AM »
Milwaukee is the only place where people eat "bakery"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 11:09:02 AM »

I think you're close here, but IMO there is a very distinguishable accent that comes from people who grew up on the south side of Milwaukee, Cudahy, "stallis, etc.  It has faded over the last couple of decades, but my wife's family fits all the lingual stereotypes.  We were in Cancun a couple months ago, and she got asked multiple times if she was Canadian - and she by far has less of the accent than her siblings.

This is fair.  Now that I think of it, my Mom grew up in Bay View and she and my uncles don’t have a ton of accent, (she lost all of it really) but her side of the family from the South Side absolutely does.  But again it’s different from the stereotypical Sconnie accent.

Kibbeh, Mediterranean version of tartar is wonderful. Pair it with onion, salt, olive oil on fresh flatbread.  Tough to beat.

Beef Tartar in all forms is usually delicious.  But that’s pretty different than grabbing some standard 65/35 Ground Chuck and going to town.  I love going to the butcher and the variety in color to raw meat and steaks and the like are amazing to me, but the thought of eating raw lightly seasoned ground hamburger meat is revolting

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 12:07:34 PM »
cannibal sandwiches are usually made from ground round not ground beef

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 01:06:27 PM »
I think a lot of you Wisconsinites do naughty stuff with cattle and other farm animals

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 01:34:31 PM »

"How's it by you"? Translation: how are you.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 05:57:24 PM »

Another peculiarity for me, Ive went nearly 40 years of my life, including spending plenty of time with people born, raised, and who never lived anywhere but the MKE area and Ive never heard that used in normal conversation.

I just find it amusing cause the other stereotype regional accents or terminology seems to have a higher hit rate.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2023, 12:24:17 AM »
"Uff-dah" is big in my family. Didn't realize it wasn't a thing elsewhere until I moved out of state for grad school
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2023, 01:38:49 AM »
I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire