collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 PGA Championship Thread  (Read 3820 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2023 PGA Championship Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2023, 06:25:24 PM »
I rooted like hell for Rahm at Augusta.   Today, I felt that Koepka was unstoppable, so I let the LIV stuff go and accepted the inevitable.    However, if a non-LIV player had made a charge I would have latched on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2023, 06:29:47 PM »
Herman, the LIV/PGA split it terrible for the sport imo.
Muggsy:

My focus is on the players I like to follow. So I follow them no matter what tour they are on.  The dispute between the two tours will eventually be resolved.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2023, 06:39:49 PM »
I rooted like hell for Rahm at Augusta.   Today, I felt that Koepka was unstoppable, so I let the LIV stuff go and accepted the inevitable.    However, if a non-LIV player had made a charge I would have latched on.

I don't see the reasoning of letting things go because a guy is supposedly unstoppable.   You root for or against people or teams you like or don't, correct?  Why the sudden acceptance or bandwagonning? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2023, 06:46:59 PM »
Muggsy:

My focus is on the players I like to follow. So I follow them no matter what tour they are on.  The dispute between the two tours will eventually be resolved.

i'm with ya on this one hermie!  i love to see good golf!  i believe koepka got the media shaft back when he was tearing it up.  yes, he can come across with an attitude, but he deserved much better.  substitute rory for what brooks did from 2017-2019 they would have that chris matthews thrill thingy running up their legs making even jeff toobin blush
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2023, 06:51:14 PM »
Muggsy:

Fair enough Herman.  Personally I never cared for the guy and do admit I hold grudges

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2023, 07:14:22 PM »
I don't see the reasoning of letting things go because a guy is supposedly unstoppable.   You root for or against people or teams you like or don't, correct?  Why the sudden acceptance or bandwagonning?
I wasn't rooting for Koepka.   I wasn't passionately rooting against Koepka.   To me, the outcome was inevitable, so why waste energy railing against the sunrise?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2023, 07:17:49 PM »
I wasn't rooting for Koepka.   I wasn't passionately rooting against Koepka.   To me, the outcome was inevitable, so why waste energy railing against the sunrise?

I misread your post.  My apologies Tower. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2023, 08:36:37 PM »
Herman, the LIV/PGA split it terrible for the sport imo.

Really? Don’t tell that to the golfers - the guys on both tours are doing better because of it.

I’m old enough to remember the AFL “ruining” football and the ABA doing the same to basketball. Both led to some temporary chaos and dilution but in the long tun were good  for the sport and great for the players. I expect the same to happen in golf.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2023, 09:36:27 PM »
Really? Don’t tell that to the golfers - the guys on both tours are doing better because of it.

I’m old enough to remember the AFL “ruining” football and the ABA doing the same to basketball. Both led to some temporary chaos and dilution but in the long tun were good  for the sport and great for the players. I expect the same to happen in golf.

Unless LIV is closer to the USFL or WFL than it is to the AFL.

Congrats to Koepka; he’s a worthy PGA champion and a 5-time majors winner. But his next event will be on a shyte network, watched by tens of people until the network decides to switch to Munsters reruns or something.

It’s too early to call LIV a failure, that’s for sure. But it’s also too early to call LIV a success. The beautiful thing is we’ll get to see.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2023, 10:27:20 PM »
Koepka is such a complete tool that I had to turn it off because I couldn’t stomach the guy winning.

Dude was a prick long before LIV. Literally anybody but that dude and Mickelson.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2023, 12:42:20 PM »

Two weeks later - Bingo!

And to think some here were laughing at LIV and comparing it to the USFL and the WFL. Now we know why Rory’s been so quiet the last couple of months.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2023, 12:54:34 PM »
Two weeks later - Bingo!

And to think some here were laughing at LIV and comparing it to the USFL and the WFL. Now we know why Rory’s been so quiet the last couple of months.

Yeah, I should learn the lesson that money almost always wins.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2023, 12:54:44 PM »
Two weeks later - Bingo!

You were right, so congrats, and I was wrong. I wish it were the other way around, for all the reasons Goose articulated very well in the other thread.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2023, 01:48:35 PM »
I agree with Lenny that the players on both tours are in far better shape than they were prior to the start of Liv. I can only speak for me, but I feel the game of golf is not better off for it. Again, I love the history of the game and there is little about the new world of golf I find to be very appealing to me.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2023, 02:09:18 PM »
I agree with Lenny that the players on both tours are in far better shape than they were prior to the start of Liv. I can only speak for me, but I feel the game of golf is not better off for it. Again, I love the history of the game and there is little about the new world of golf I find to be very appealing to me.

The game of golf is not in a better place than it was 18 months ago. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2023, 04:26:25 PM »
The game of golf is not in a better place than it was 18 months ago.

The game of golf is what it has always been and always will be. The people who play it professionally will be in a stronger position vis a vis the organization(s) that run the tour because of this. If you hated NIL for college athletes, free agency/collective bargaining for baseball, football, hockey and the competitive leagues who helped raise player salaries/conditions then you’re in mourning right now. If not you should have no complaints.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2023, 04:33:01 PM »
The game of golf is what it has always been and always will be. The people who play it professionally will be in a stronger position vis a vis the organization(s) that run the tour because of this. If you hated NIL for college athletes, free agency/collective bargaining for baseball, football, hockey and the competitive leagues who helped raise player salaries/conditions then you’re in mourning right now. If not you should have no complaints.

While I hate NIL I honestly don't think the two things are comparable Lenny. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2023, 04:35:56 PM »
While I hate NIL I honestly don't think the two things are comparable Lenny.

Not remotely close to the same thing.  Professional golf is now a mouthpiece for the Saudi’s, which is what they wanted.  Comparing it to a labor situation is laughable.

The players got used.  Some like Mickelson don’t have any scruples or morals, so they’re too blind to the reality, but that’s what happened.  Maybe he’ll have some young men thrown his way from MBS to watch bang his wife
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 04:42:21 PM by Uncle Rico »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »

If college athletes had signed on with Saudi-backed financing, sure it’s comparable.  If MLB players in the 70’s formed a rival league with the USSR, sure it’s comparable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2023, 05:01:10 PM »
If college athletes had signed on with Saudi-backed financing, sure it’s comparable.  If MLB players in the 70’s formed a rival league with the USSR, sure it’s comparable.

Money is fungible. And a lot of it comes from dubious places. Are you mourning the NBA being in bed with China? Boycotting Apple and all other things produced there? If not, spare me.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2023, 05:03:55 PM »
Money is fungible. And a lot of it comes from dubious places. Are you mourning the NBA being in bed with China? Boycotting Apple and all other things produced there? If not, spare me.

China isn’t paying me to follow the NBA or use Apple.  The Saudi’s paid players to get at the sports table.

I only boycott inclusive products

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2023, 05:12:04 PM »

Using 9/11 victims, until they could profit as well, is a pretty big complaint.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2023, 06:49:30 PM »
China isn’t paying me to follow the NBA or use Apple.  The Saudi’s paid players to get at the sports table.

I only boycott inclusive products

china paying you??  and i thought they were out of line for giving all that money to president magoo and his family.  maybe you should tell them your friends of the big guy and his ever so brilliant artist offspring   

you are funding china by watching the NBA, buying apparel, shoes, etc.  and all of the human rights abuses they are committing to this day

don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2023, 06:53:41 PM »
china paying you??  and i thought they were out of line for giving all that money to president magoo and his family.  maybe you should tell them your friends of the big guy and his ever so brilliant artist offspring   

you are funding china by watching the NBA, buying apparel, shoes, etc.  and all of the human rights abuses they are committing to this day

9 out of 10

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2023, 07:56:00 PM »

I

??

China isn’t “paying you”? Of course not . Neither are the Saudis. You’re paying them and they pay the NBA. Just like people pay the Saudis and they pay the golfers. Or we pay the Saudis for oil now that we’ve decided energy independence isn’t important.