[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ghosts-Supernatural phenomena  (Read 1219 times)

tower912

• All American
Ghosts-Supernatural phenomena
« on: May 11, 2023, 08:15:22 AM »
So as to not sidetrack the MLB thread any more after Mookie Betts decided to get an airbnb rather than stay at a haunted hotel, let us bring it here.

Do you believe in ghosts?  Have you ever encountered a ghost/entity or had an experience you cannot explain away?

I was always agnostic about ghosts.   And then I had experiences that cannot be explained away.  I worked for a decade in a fire station that was built in 1902.   It has a reputation for being  haunted.  I had some weird, benign stuff happen.   Others claim less benign encounters.   Especially female police officers.
    Also had an unique experience at a funeral reception that is difficult to explain away.
    So, still agnostic about ghosts and related phenomena.  But, like most things, not afraid of it either.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 08:30:00 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Ghosts-Supernatural phenomena
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 08:19:57 AM »
We have one on this board that posts.

Also, let’s not forget all the ghosts in the machine that make certain poster’s posts disappear.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2023, 08:22:34 AM »
Ha.
And Lazar will inevitably get brought up and scooped.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 08:49:17 AM »
Supposedly, there is a tradition in my ethnic background where a deceased comes back to let loved ones know they are ok.  The supposed part is a month after death. 

I had a great-uncle who committed suicide on Valentine’s Day.  A month later, a prized possession of his, a clock given to him upon retirement by co-workers quit working at 3AM, about the time we could estimate he passed (overdose).

He was also very close with my sister.  That same night, she felt someone sit on the end of her bed and sigh.  Our dog slept in her room and bolted out of the room and wouldn’t go back in. 

Since then, I’ve never experienced anything that makes me believe in ghosts or the supernatural but I ain’t dismissing the possibility after that night.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 08:49:40 AM »
I remember seeing the same person in our house (not alive) multiple times as a kid. Still have visual memories of it to this day. Quit seeing it once we got a dog.

Not sure if it was real or not, but always scared the crap out of me. So also agnostic on the issue.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
100% believe in ghosts. When I was younger I felt/saw a being next to my bed at night, thought I was screaming but never made a noise. In high school at a retreat I saw what appeared like a glowing figure with its arm around a friend of mine. Very peaceful image and feeling. I was driving on the highway the other day and had this enormous relief and incredible peace when the thought entered my brain about when I return, what will I be, who will I know and not know from previous lives. Not a ghost example per se but makes me feel stronger about the afterlife.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 04:54:50 PM »
I firmly believe there is A LOT that we as humans, or science, can't explain.  And not just conspiracy theory or random mysticism stuff.  My personal experiences...

My girlfriend Freshman year of college lost her grandmother midway in the school year.  They were extremely close and she was very broken up about it.  I remember waking up one morning, a month or two after, and she was wide awake and kind of dazed.   I remember feeling sort of a weird sense in the air.  I looked at my girlfriend and she mouthed "she's here" and had a really calm half smile and look of peace.  My roommate later in the day, without any knowledge of our situation or conversation, asked us if anyone was in the room cause he woke up and felt like someone was standing there.

Her grandma's birthday was a couple weeks later.  Nothing else of note had happened since that morning.  My GF went to bed, this time in her room, in kind of in a funk knowing what the next day was.  Woke up to what felt like a warm hand on my shoulder.  Again look to my GF, she's staring misty eyed.  I feel the warm slowly dissipate and fell back asleep.  Woke up, thought it was a dream, and my GF is in the same position and just says "she was here JWags, she was standing over us, and Ive never felt so calm and that she was proud of me".  This was a girl that wasn't religious, was not into sappy stories or movies, and was annoyingly cynical at times.  She didn't feel the need to broadcast it to everyone, but she never for a moment wavered on what she saw and no longer had any real grief, but happy memories.

Years later, my wife lost her Grandma about 2 years into our relationship.  A combination of a move, work obligations, and her Grandma's insistent that she shouldn't visit her in hospice had her postpone going to FL to see her.  She died rather suddenly a few weeks before she could see her.  She felt horrible.  She moved about 6 months later when her building got sold.  Packing the moving day, I smelled a strong scent of perfume.  I thought a bottle had broken.  I look at she's kind of puzzled.  "That's (insert perfume name), Nanny always wore that when we were kids.."  Since that time, we've moved 3 times.  Without fail, Ive smelled it each time we've moved.  3 diff apartment buildings and a house in very different areas.  I can't explain it nor care to try.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 04:59:47 PM »
Just hopin' da ghost of Tommy Crean duzant reappear, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 05:28:08 PM »
I haven't had a personal experience with a ghost/something I can't explain. My dad, aunt, and cousins told me about a shared experience that they had. My uncle passed away very suddenly in his late 30s from an undiagnosed heart condition. Was devastating to our entire family. The day of the funeral, my dad was over with my cousins and aunt. The younger of my cousins wasn't coming out of her room and they didn't know why. Eventually, my older cousin went into her room to check on her and didn't come out. Then my aunt followed and didn't come out. Then my dad finally joined them. They were all staring out my cousin's window at a cardinal that was perched right outside. My uncle had always loved cardinals and had flaming red hair himself. They all agreed that somehow they knew that this was my uncle checking up on his family. The cardinal stayed perched right outside the window staring in the window for a couple hours.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 06:20:59 PM »
JWags85 was sleeping with a girl as a freshman in college. Tsk, tsk!!

There was a lady my grandma had staying at her house that passed away at the house. Sometime thereafter, I was sleeping there and woke up in the middle of the night. There appeared to be an entity almost floating in the doorway. I tried to yell/scream but couldn’t make a sound. Finally pulled the covers over my head, and curled up in a trembling ball.

Proud to say I didn’t p1ss myself. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, MU82.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 06:39:58 PM »
Euchre is our family card game.   My mom's  sister was legendary for getting terrible cards.   She died in 2019.  The reception after the funeral was at her house.   A euchre game started at the kitchen table.   My mom was playing with her grandchildren.   She was drawing terrible hands.   I said something to the effect that it looked like her inheritance from her sister was getting bad cards.

Immediately, right behind my mom, on the counter right next to me, napkins started flying off their neat pile one at a time.  6 of them.  In a 5 second span.   Two of my nephews and I watched that, stared at each other, and burst out laughing.   We told the gathered group what we had seen.    Everybody said 'Hi, Missy' and had a really good laugh/cry/smile.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 06:54:33 PM by tower912 »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
My father passed away last year. I still haven’t won the powerball.  >:

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 10:25:30 AM »
As JWags said, "there is a LOT that we as humans, or science, can't explain." While science is our primary M.O. (and for many, sole M.O.), I think too often many humans dismiss anything that cannot be subjected to scientific examination. Why assume that there cannot be any knowledge beyond our conventional ability to comprehend it? Unfortunately, hucksters are, and have always been, skilled at suckering in people in regard to ghosts/spirits, ESP, etc. with their tricks. That does not mean that all experiences beyond our conventional understanding are illegitimate.

I am very much a skeptic, but it is easy to be one since I have not had any experiences such as the ones in this thread.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 10:27:35 AM »
I'm calling bullchit on this whole ghost thang, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 11:39:33 AM »
As JWags said, "there is a LOT that we as humans, or science, can't explain." While science is our primary M.O. (and for many, sole M.O.), I think too often many humans dismiss anything that cannot be subjected to scientific examination. Why assume that there cannot be any knowledge beyond our conventional ability to comprehend it? Unfortunately, hucksters are, and have always been, skilled at suckering in people in regard to ghosts/spirits, ESP, etc. with their tricks. That does not mean that all experiences beyond our conventional understanding are illegitimate.

I am very much a skeptic, but it is easy to be one since I have not had any experiences such as the ones in this thread.

Yep, one can think ghosts don’t exist but believe that there is much out there beyond our current comprehension.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 08:02:00 PM »
Recently my brother learned his former landlord and friend had passed away. He was an older man who my brother helped out over the years. The winter cactus that he gave my brother flowered when he passed away. My brother didn’t know he had passed away at the time it flowered, and when he found out, he couldn’t believe it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 08:34:12 PM »
I once make pottery with a ghost.  It was hott.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 03:49:58 AM »
Ghost peppers are da bomb, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 05:13:11 AM »
Went to a Fleetwood Mac concert and Mick Fleetwood used a ghost drummer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 06:07:50 AM »
These days, they need a ghost Christine McVie for every show.   They have regularly used fake Lindsey Buckinghams.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
I'll acknowledge there's plenty science can't explain yet, but my emphasis would be on the yet. Ghosts, like gods, are things that our minds construct to help us make sense out of things science hasn't yet figured out. And while there might be plenty of coincidences, from broken clocks to flowering cacti, my guess is there are millions of similar incidences we see every day that we don't assign significance to because we're not looking for a pattern to fill.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 12:26:34 PM »
Several years ago .at a convention, I was enjoying a glass of 25 yr. old with the Dir. of Surgery and a prominent surgeon from Hawaii when we began the discussion of ghosts in Hawaii. Evidently there is a large collection of supernatural stories in the islands. They related how one room in particular in this hospital was reported to be haunted by a woman and a child. It was in the Critical Care unit and whenever a patient reported being visited by the pair that patient died without fail. It was widely known and on  one particular occasion a woman saw the two enter her room. The woman told her daughter about the visit and the two of them began praying for the mother's recovery. Days later , the baby appeared to her and waved "BYE,BYE" and disappeared. The woman recovered they tell me.  The Surgeon who was a good friend also related spending a few hrs. overnight in lounge  while tending to critical patients and was awakened by the Choking Ghost which is famous in Hawaii. With great effort she was able to extricate herself from the grasp.
These are two widely known and published professional people who I have known for years and believe  their stories

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 01:37:57 PM »
Not sure I buy into the ghost theory. For the same reason I don't buy into the apparitions at Lourdes, Fatima, Guadalupe or other places. Sometimes our minds do unusual things to us and we feel things that appeal to our emotions, our sense of our relationship with God and our relationship with each other.

I concur with the notion that there' a lot off things we can't measure and are beyond our ability to sense. Certain high frequency tones can't be heard by humans, for example, but they're there. Our canines can here them... and react. Ditto for scents. God only knows how many other things out there are beyond the human capability to measure, feel or experience.

All of this said, I do believe God talks to us. We just don't always listen. God doesn't pick the phone up and say, "Hey Dgies... here's your calling." Instead, there are signs that are put there that are more than chance. They're supernatural, of course, but they are choices we have to make. We have free wills and we either accept or reject the calling. In my life, I believe certain things came together for a reason -- and the reason was that good ole God was talking to me through the choices I made and based on my upbringing as a Christian.

My signposts aren't because my Mom, or my beloved Grandmothers came to me one night and said, "Do this!!!!" Though I admit I would love to have a vision of my Dad right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 03:13:10 PM »
Check out the show Paranormal Caught on Camera.

Some very unexplainable stuff.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2023, 05:46:33 PM »
Boo

feedback