[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Ben  (Read 5465 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Let's Talk About Ben
« on: April 26, 2023, 10:59:06 AM »
Here's what I'd be working on in the off-season if I was Mr. Gold in no particular order:

1) Stength/Power on both ends of the floor.  Add a little muscle/weight.  I'd like to see him much more active and physical defensively.  He has enough quickness to bother on the perimeter and then recover to rim protect.  On the offensive end he must finish with authority inside and work on his footwork to get easier interior looks and free throws.

2) Drain the pick and pop 3 with more consistency while exercising patience with shot selection.  The young man has a great stroke but often he launches the second he has a little space.  At his height he can pretty much get that J at will and without being bothered.  I think he can be absolutely deadly in the P&P game and we could see it as soon as November.

3) Run the floor.  The kid has good jets for a big man and is playing with a dime machine.  Run, catch the rock, and throw it down ruthlessly.  I also believe in the h-c he can get flushes at the rim on beck-doors. 

4) Get on the glass.  I think it's a combination of fundamentals, lower body strength, and opportunity.  My take is Ben can do damage on the O-Glass in due time.

*I have a lot of confidence Ben will get there and be a huge asset to MU moving forward.  The question that I have is whether he and Oso can effectively play together for signiificant stretches next season?  If they can't it will be interesting how Shaka utilizes his skills and chooses rotations. 

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Let's Talk About Ben
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:01:11 AM »
Oh....I forgot about working on finishing with his left hand. 

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
I think he's going to be very good for us next year. Hopefully things slow down for him a bit on both ends. If so, he's got everything you'd want in a big man in today's game.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 11:06:16 AM »
I think he's going to be very good for us next year. Hopefully things slow down for him a bit on both ends. If so, he's got everything you'd want in a big man in today's game.

That's a really good point Hound.  I think when guys have truncated mins they can try to do too much.  He would definitely benefit from slowing down a bit. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 11:10:36 AM »
My question becomes...do they start Ben at the 4 at find a backup for Oso in the portal or do they start Joplin at the 4 use Amadou as his backup?

I think Ben has a ton of value at the 4 and Joplin is awesome off the bench but is that the route they go? Not so sure.

I love the idea of molding Amadou into the 3/4 spots like OMax. Started as a 3 with Justin, moved to the 4 after Justin left.

Kolek (Tre/Sean)
Kam (Chase)
Stevie (Amadou/Lowery)
Ben (Joplin)
Oso (Portal Addition)

Could be fun.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 11:14:54 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 11:18:28 AM »
Oh....I forgot about working on finishing with his left hand.

Aren't we all.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 11:20:59 AM »
My question becomes...do they start Ben at the 4 at find a backup for Oso in the portal or do they start Joplin at the 4 use Amadou as his backup?

I think Ben has a ton of value at the 4 and Joplin is awesome off the bench but is that the route they go? Not so sure.

I love the idea of molding Amadou into the 3/4 spots like OMax. Started as a 3 with Justin, moved to the 4 after Justin left.

Kolek (Tre/Sean)
Kam (Chase)
Stevie (Amadou/Lowery)
Ben (Joplin)
Oso (Portal Addition)

Could be fun.

Who is Ben guarding?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 11:25:50 AM »

Kolek (Tre/Sean)
Kam (Chase)
Stevie (Amadou/Lowery)
Ben (Joplin)
Oso (Portal Addition)

Could be fun.

Unless we get a transfer somewhere, my guess is that Oso and Joplin will start, with Gold getting plenty of playing time playing either's place. Can easily see a tree man rotation if Amadou isn't ready.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »

Unless we get a transfer somewhere, my guess is that Oso and Joplin will start, with Gold getting plenty of playing time playing either's place. Can easily see a tree man rotation if Amadou isn't ready.

Oso starting has never been nor ever will be a question assuming good health.
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 11:43:34 AM »
Oso starting has never been nor ever will be a question assuming good health.

No kidding.  My point is that Gold can play in either role...and so can Joplin.  The wild card is who else is going to be involved if Omax doesn't return.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 11:56:53 AM »
Are there Manatees in New Zealand waters?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »

A tree man would definitely add a lot of height to the roster.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 12:50:35 PM »
A tree man would definitely add a lot of height to the roster.
maybe Shaka will add Tree Rollins to the staff
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 01:15:23 PM »
Muggs, I think if we asked Shaka and/or Nevada, they'd say they want Gold to shoot without hesitation if he's open after running a pick-and-pop.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 04:31:35 PM »
Offseason development will dictate who starts the 4....Gold or Jop. The early favorite is Jop but if Gold develops it could very well be him. It will be good to have some healthy competition. Either way, if OMax is gone both guys are going to get plenty of minutes. I almost see it as a platoon situation regardless of who is the "starter"

I also agree with Sultan that if Gold doesn't start he can sub in at either the 4 or 5. I could easily see him getting 20 minutes a game off the bench.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 08:49:48 AM »

I agree with this analysis.  I also suspect Ben will get 27+ minutes next year if OMax doesn't return.  Expecting a big step forward for Ben.  He shot 39% from 3 against BE competition.  Took him the Non-Con portion of the schedule to get acclimated to faster pace of play, and though the game was still a little too fast for him at times during BE play, he still shot the ball quite well from distance and showed good BBall IQ putting it on the deck when opposition closed out on his 3.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 08:50:39 AM »
Now I have the Salt N Pepa song stuck in my head. Thanks scoop

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 09:32:31 AM »
I agree with this analysis.  I also suspect Ben will get 27+ minutes next year if OMax doesn't return.  Expecting a big step forward for Ben.  He shot 39% from 3 against BE competition.  Took him the Non-Con portion of the schedule to get acclimated to faster pace of play, and though the game was still a little too fast for him at times during BE play, he still shot the ball quite well from distance and showed good BBall IQ putting it on the deck when opposition closed out on his 3.

Good post. I think I was most impressed by some of the decisions Gold made re when to shoot and when to drive. Showed a lot of progress in that realm. I'm trying to temper my expectations, but he certainly has what it takes to be a successful stretch-4/5.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2023, 10:03:44 AM »
I've been all aboard the Kiwi-mobile for a while. If O-Max goes, I think Jop takes his starting spot but Gold will play some huge minutes off the bench. I think Ross would slide into Joplin's 6th man role and Gold would be the second guy off the bench playing at least 18 minutes a game.

If O-Max returns, it will be interesting. I don't see O-Max or Jop losing minutes....and they won't be able to play at the three as much because I foresee a big step for Ross and I think Norman will need some minutes. I think Gold will take a big step in skill and production, but I'm not sure his minutes would increase much in this scenario. I could maybe see him taking a few minutes from Oso to help keep Oso fresh and out of foul trouble.

I could also see Shaka adding a Kur type player via the portal. That happens and OMax returns? No idea where the minutes will come from.

In all three situations, I see Sean as a quick change of pace sub for Kolek getting maybe 10-15 minutes a game.

This logjam for minutes is a great problem to have.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2023, 10:27:45 AM »
I've been all aboard the Kiwi-mobile for a while. If O-Max goes, I think Jop takes his starting spot but Gold will play some huge minutes off the bench. I think Ross would slide into Joplin's 6th man role and Gold would be the second guy off the bench playing at least 18 minutes a game.

If O-Max returns, it will be interesting. I don't see O-Max or Jop losing minutes....and they won't be able to play at the three as much because I foresee a big step for Ross and I think Norman will need some minutes. I think Gold will take a big step in skill and production, but I'm not sure his minutes would increase much in this scenario. I could maybe see him taking a few minutes from Oso to help keep Oso fresh and out of foul trouble.

I could also see Shaka adding a Kur type player via the portal. That happens and OMax returns? No idea where the minutes will come from.

In all three situations, I see Sean as a quick change of pace sub for Kolek getting maybe 10-15 minutes a game.

This logjam for minutes is a great problem to have.

I agree with this.

If OMax is gone, can Joplin pick up his extra minutes, making the leap from 19 to Prosper's 29?
Can Gold jump from 9 minutes per game to Joplin's 19?
Will Amadou provide those 9 minutes a game that Gold played last season.
Joplin played about 8 minutes a game at the wing last year.  10 at PF.  Those 8 minutes should go to a wing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2023, 10:37:06 AM »
I agree with this.

If OMax is gone, can Joplin pick up his extra minutes, making the leap from 19 to Prosper's 29?
Can Gold jump from 9 minutes per game to Joplin's 19?
Will Amadou provide those 9 minutes a game that Gold played last season.
Joplin played about 8 minutes a game at the wing last year.  10 at PF.  Those 8 minutes should go to a wing.

Even if O-Max leaves, Joplin wouldn't have to go from 19 to 29. On the nights he has it going, he might play 30+; on the nights the shot's not falling, he might play 15 or fewer.

Unless Jop suddenly becomes a better athlete, he'll never be close to what O-Max is defensively. IMHO Shaka will apportion the minutes at that spot according to what he believes the team needs at any given time in a game.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2023, 11:56:01 AM »
Aren't we all.

Great line, Hards. I just about peed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2023, 11:58:32 AM »
Great line, Hards. I just about peed.

Stop by the Mecca

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2023, 12:04:15 PM »
Stop by the Mecca

Another great line, Doc. You have a terrific memory.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »
Hope you are right. But right now he is basically a perimeter big, and have not seen much that shows he is a rim protector, which is the biggest flaw in current roster.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback