collapse

* Stud of UConn Game

No Stud when we lose.
2023-24 Season SoG Tally
Kolek8
Ighodaro6
Jones, K.3
Jones, S.1
Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Blue Demons SOTG by JakeBarnes
[Today at 12:25:33 AM]


Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by PointWarrior
[February 21, 2024, 11:55:56 PM]


Is Kolek coming back? by MUbiz
[February 21, 2024, 11:46:48 PM]


What is DePoint of DePaul? by PointWarrior
[February 21, 2024, 11:37:50 PM]


Big East 23-24 Results by 1SE
[February 21, 2024, 11:36:47 PM]


Tyler the Creator by rocky_warrior
[February 21, 2024, 11:35:15 PM]


2023-2024 College Basketball Thread by MuggsyB
[February 21, 2024, 11:25:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: DePaul

Marquette
53
Marquette vs

DePaul

Date/Time: Feb 21, 2024, 8:00 pm
TV: FS1
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn
81

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought  (Read 4093 times)

PaintTouches

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 818
[Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« on: April 21, 2023, 11:51:37 AM »
Synergy just put out a new stat to measure the true points created by a player, not just buckets and assists, but passes that lead to free throws and hockey assists as well.
https://painttouches.com/2023/04/21/tyler-kolek-is-even-better-than-you-thought-marquette/

If anyone ever wants to re-litigate the 2023 BEPOY in the futre, this chart is all that will be necessary.

Shooter McGavin

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 2556
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 03:20:31 PM »
Thank you for the article.  Kolek is impressive.  I assume this chart would look fairly similar when comparing him to all of college basketball?

lawdog77

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 2364
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 04:18:23 PM »
Thanks for that. I have always wondered why a pass to a player who is fouled, and makes the free throws isn't considered an assist.

Jay Bee

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 8863
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 04:33:06 PM »
Thanks for that. I have always wondered why a pass to a player who is fouled, and makes the free throws isn't considered an assist.

Prob cuz #FTsNoMatta

But.. they’re not assisting on the foul shot.

Should we award an assist for a great pass and the guy misses a bunny?  I’d be more in favor of that. “Shoulda been” assists
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BrewCity83

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 3755
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »
Prob cuz #FTsNoMatta

But.. they’re not assisting on the foul shot.

Should we award an assist for a great pass and the guy misses a bunny?  I’d be more in favor of that. “Shoulda been” assists

I could agree to that, but define "bunny".  What if the guy misses a 70% shot?  Where do we draw the line? 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TSmith34, Inc.

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 4921
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 11:18:14 PM »
Prob cuz #FTsNoMatta

But.. they’re not assisting on the foul shot.

Should we award an assist for a great pass and the guy misses a bunny?  I’d be more in favor of that. “Shoulda been” assists
#FakeNews #Lies
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lawdog77

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 2364
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 06:14:05 AM »
Prob cuz #FTsNoMatta

But.. they’re not assisting on the foul shot.

Should we award an assist for a great pass and the guy misses a bunny?  I’d be more in favor of that. “Shoulda been” assists
One gets an assist in FIBA if at least one free throw is made.

https://www.fiba.basketball/documents/2015/FIBA_Stats_Manual20120920.pdf

muwarrior69

  • Registered User
  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 5042
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2023, 06:38:12 AM »
Synergy just put out a new stat to measure the true points created by a player, not just buckets and assists, but passes that lead to free throws and hockey assists as well.
https://painttouches.com/2023/04/21/tyler-kolek-is-even-better-than-you-thought-marquette/

If anyone ever wants to re-litigate the 2023 BEPOY in the futre, this chart is all that will be necessary.


Thumbs up!


Shooter McGavin

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 2556
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 05:20:30 PM »
I like the Big East comparison but have you done a national comparison? 


TSmith34, Inc.

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 4921
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.




GoldenEagles03

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 3443
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2023, 06:35:26 PM »
Maybe it is worth a poll, but if given the choice to start your program with 1 guy, who are you taking between Markus Howard and Tyler Kolek?
VIOLENCE!

Dickthedribbler

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 569
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 10:42:27 PM »
Those TKO commercials are pretty ridiculous and embarrassing. Glad Tyler is making some $.

Yes, very happy that Tyler is making some money off of NIL. $5,000 for a brief commercial is pretty good for a 20 year old. Beats a paper route.

Figure 15% for Federal income taxes ($750); since he is an independent contractor, he has the privilege of paying not only FICA and Medicare at 7.65 % plus the match of 7.65 % or a total of 15.3 % ($765); figure Wisconsin income tax of 5% ($250); and maybe an agent takes 10% ($500).

Once Tyler realizes his $5000 gig nets him $2735, I hope he's still as enthusiastic.

Great lesson in economics 101 without even having to take the class. Silver lining---------may turn him into a lifelong Republican.

Tyler COLEk

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 576
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2023, 11:31:10 PM »
Yes, very happy that Tyler is making some money off of NIL. $5,000 for a brief commercial is pretty good for a 20 year old. Beats a paper route.

Figure 15% for Federal income taxes ($750); since he is an independent contractor, he has the privilege of paying not only FICA and Medicare at 7.65 % plus the match of 7.65 % or a total of 15.3 % ($765); figure Wisconsin income tax of 5% ($250); and maybe an agent takes 10% ($500).

Once Tyler realizes his $5000 gig nets him $2735, I hope he's still as enthusiastic.

Great lesson in economics 101 without even having to take the class. Silver lining---------may turn him into a lifelong Republican.

This is up there in the scoop pantheon of ludicrous posts. 

Tyler COLEk

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 576
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2023, 11:31:47 PM »
Maybe it is worth a poll, but if given the choice to start your program with 1 guy, who are you taking between Markus Howard and Tyler Kolek?

I loved Markus Howard, but it’s TKO and it isn’t close.

Dickthedribbler

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 569
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 01:27:50 AM »
This is up there in the scoop pantheon of ludicrous posts.

Ludicrous???

I agree. It's ludicrous that newly minted small businessman Tyler Kolek isn't allowed to keep a larger portion of his hard earned NIL compensation for himself.
Muscoop.com

TSmith34, Inc.

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 4921
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2023, 06:45:55 AM »
Yes, very happy that Tyler is making some money off of NIL. $5,000 for a brief commercial is pretty good for a 20 year old. Beats a paper route.

Figure 15% for Federal income taxes ($750); since he is an independent contractor, he has the privilege of paying not only FICA and Medicare at 7.65 % plus the match of 7.65 % or a total of 15.3 % ($765); figure Wisconsin income tax of 5% ($250); and maybe an agent takes 10% ($500).

Once Tyler realizes his $5000 gig nets him $2735, I hope he's still as enthusiastic.

Great lesson in economics 101 without even having to take the class. Silver lining---------may turn him into a lifelong Republican.

Someone doesn't understand taxes. What a surprise.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lawdog77

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 2364
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2023, 07:18:06 AM »
Someone doesn't understand taxes. What a surprise.
Yeah. I'm hoping Dickthedribbler hires a professional to do his taxes.

Tyler COLEk

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 576
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »
Ludicrous???

I agree. It's ludicrous that newly minted small businessman Tyler Kolek isn't allowed to keep a larger portion of his hard earned NIL compensation for himself.
Muscoop.com

Please do yourself a favor — give it a rest with the cable news and social media echo chambers.

Dickthedribbler

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 569
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2023, 10:30:41 AM »
Someone doesn't understand taxes. What a surprise.

Tell me what I got wrong. And be specific ( my scenario assumes he will have additional income in 2023).

lawdog77

  • All American
  • *****
  • Posts: 2364
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2023, 10:50:02 AM »
Tell me what I got wrong. And be specific ( my scenario assumes he will have additional income in 2023).
Well first, the fee paid to the agent is deductible. I am sure he has other deductibles pre-tax

TheGym

  • Registered User
  • Starter
  • ***
  • Posts: 232
Re: [Paint Touches] Kolek is even better than you thought
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
I was happy to see this thread back to the top of the board as I thought maybe there was a discussion about a "new" stat that may or may not reflex the true value of a player.  FYI, I am not sure this new one really shows that Kolek is so much better than everyone else.

Instead, in true Scoop fashion, it morphed into a discussion on taxation.  Well done!!  Just one factual correction on the taxation point, your first ~$13K of earnings are tax free from federal income taxes (assuming you are not claimed as a dependent on someone else's return).