[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Things to add to the arsenal?  (Read 2904 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Things to add to the arsenal?
« on: April 05, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
I think all of our returning guys will be better in 6-7 mos.  Here's what I'm hoping will transpire with our 9 returning players:

Kolek:  Obviously it's hard to be better than he was this year.  The MSU game will be enough motivation for him to dominate at the PG position.  I do think he can get a few more FT attempts and become a bit more disruptive defensively. 

Kam:  It's all about consistency with Jones the Elder.  The area where I'd like to see him improve is attacking to both pass and score in tbe paint.  I think additional upper body strength can help him become much more difficult to guard and get him more FTA's.  Defensively, I'd like to see him a bit more active on the D-Glass and more opportunistic on his help D.

Oso:  I'm tremendously excited to see what the young man brings to the table come November.  He is much more offensively skilled than I think people realize.  We've talked about the face up J.  I think he can add that AND become even more effective scoring inside in the wide-post. 

O-Max:  I think it's really about the little things with Prosper.  He's so versatile on both ends.  I think he can improve on the glass, passing off the dribble, and draining the triple.

Stevie:  I think we're all sleeping on his offensive potential.  I could see him becoming more confident with his jumper, it will come.  To me sometimes he forces to a fault and gets sped up.  I fully expect the young man to figure out when to pick his spots and be an efficient offensive player as a Jr.

Jop:  I just love this kid.  He is our instant offense off the bench and can score in bunches.  We all know he can overdribble and doesn't play above the rim, but I do think he will be more patient and consistent as a Jr.

Chase:  The sky is the limit for him.  He has electrifying potential on both ends and I believe his jump (no pun intended) will be profound in 6 mos.  We're talking vertical attacks, draining the 3, being ubiquitous defensively, and dropping the hammer in transition.  He's the best athlete we have had in quite some time and I cannot wait to see him as a Soph.

Ben:  I'm. A huge believer in young Mr. Gold.  It may take more time than we want but he's tremendously skilled for a big man with the potential to be a deadly stretch 5.  It's about adding some bulk and strength, figuring out the nuances of the game, and getting fundamentally better both rebounding and defending.  I am confident he will get there in due time.

Sean:  Jones the Younger had a bit of a choppy season.  First and foremost he needs to get healthy.  That said we're taking about a kid with roadrunner speed and quickness.  It all about harnessing it and understanding when to attack and how most effectively to score or create.  He has the potential to be a Peyton Siva type player without question but is a better shooter.   He will definitely figure it out and play with more poise and decisiveness. 

In conclusion I like our 9 and Freshmen.  Maybe we add a badass transfer but this is a team highly motivated to be a force in '23-24. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 10:42:58 PM by MuggsyB »

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
Re: Things to add to the arsenal?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 01:07:36 PM »
With the transfer of Keeyan, it’s clear to me that Shaka defines “in due time” as now. This coming year is the best chance for the totality of these kids to win an NCAA title. Ben Gold will be ready when the gates open on the ‘23-‘24 season.

With the arrival of Tre Norman, an additional layer of defensive disruption may preempt the need for a true rim-protector.

You thought ‘22-‘23 was fun?!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
I do find myself thinking: What if Ross and Gold improve as much as Kolek and Oso did over the course of an offseason? It could happen, and if it does that would be amazing for our team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 02:11:56 PM »
BG is going to be deadly off the dribble from the perimeter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 02:37:07 PM »
Tyler Kolek should add "being an aircraft carrier" to his arsenal. 
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 03:48:10 PM »
We're going to have to learn how to play with that edge as the hunted.  I know the motivation will be there but it's still a different dynamic.  Perhaps I should come up with some ideas the next few mos. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 03:51:49 PM »
the scoopers use of "the edge of being the hunted" is going to be the off-season's version of "February Fade"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 03:53:12 PM »
the scoopers use of "the edge of being the hunted" is going to be the off-seasons version of "February Fade"

Yeah, we need to come up with something else to irrationally fear.

You're right, PW, the fear of being hunted is a decent place to start.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 10:08:25 PM »
I think all of our returning guys will be better in 6-7 mos.  Here's what I'm hoping will transpire with our 9 returning players:

Kolek:  Obviously it's hard to be better than he was this year.  The MSU game will be enough motivation for him to dominate at the PG position.  I do think he can get a few more FT attempts and become a bit more disruptive defensively. 

Kam:  It's all about consistency with Jones the Elder.  The area where I'd like to see him improve is attacking to both pass and score in tbe paint.  I think additional upper body strength can help him become much more difficult to guard and get him more FTA's.  Defensively, I'd like to see him a bit more active on the D-Glass and more opportunistic on his help D.

Oso:  I'm tremendously excited to see what the young man brings to the table come November.  He is much more offensively skilled than I think people realize.  We've talked about the face up J.  I think he can add that AND becone even more effective scoring inside in the wide-post. 

O-Max:  I think it's really about the little things with Prosper.  He's so versatile on both ends.  I think he can improve on the glass, passing off the dribble, and draining the triple.

Stevie:  I think we're all sleeping on his offensive potential.  I could see him becoming more confident with his jumper, it will come.  To me sometimes he forces to a fault and gets sped up.  I fully expect the young man to figure out when to pick his spots and be an efficient offensive player as a Jr.

Jop:  I just love this kid.  He is our instant offense off the bench and can score in bunches.  We all know he can overdribble and doesn't play above the rim, but I do think he will be more patient and consistent as a Jr.

Chase:  The sky is the limit for him.  He has electrifying potential on both ends and I believe his jump (no pun intended) will be profound in 6 mos.  We're talking vertical attacks, draining the 3, being ubiquitous defensively, and dropping the hammer in transition.  He's the best athlete we have had in quite some time and I cannot wait to see him as a Soph.

Ben:  I'm. A huge believer in young Mr. Gold.  It may take more time than we want but he's tremendously skilled for a big man with the potential to be a deadly stretch 5.  It's about adding some bulk and strength, figuring out the nuances of the game, and getting fundamentally better both rebounding and defending.  I am confident he will get there in due time.

Sean:  Jones the Younger had a bit of a choppy season.  First and foremost he needs to get healthy.  That said we're taking about a kid with roadrunner speed and quickness.  It all about harnessing it and understanding when to attack and how most effectively to score or create.  He has the potential to be a Peyton Siva type player without question but is a better shooter.   He will definitely figure it out and play with more poise and decisiveness. 

In conclusion I like our 9 and Freshmen.  Maybe we add a badass transfer but this is a team highly motivated to be a force in '23-24.
All of our guys would be able to improve  significantly if they were able to improve their ability to use their non dominant hand . That will make our team much harder to defend. Some of our guys need to improve their free throws. Too many missed throws at the end of games.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 10:31:51 PM »
Exactly about using there off hand, Chase and even Kolek are dominant lefties!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 10:32:24 PM »
Everyone will definitely have the ability to improve.
Hopefully it becomes a Coach Shaka staple that most guys improve from the prior year in most seasons, that way we are more inclined to discuss

1- who will improve the most? 2022/23 answer is TyKo.
2- who won’t improve, or will regress?
2022/23 answer is Keeyan.

Most don’t like discussing possible regression, lack of improvement, getting passed over on the depth chart etc, because we are all pulling for all of the guys to do well, improve, and maximize their potential.
However, it’s a matter of fact that as a team gets better and becomes more elite, and new young talent comes in, that not everyone can improve linearly year after year.
Nearly every great team has upperclassmen that fall into a reserve/specialty role.

It’ll be an interesting discussion to have after the roster is fully established.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2023, 10:37:07 PM »
Excellent analysis, Muggsy! 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 04:00:27 PM »
We had an inordinate run of health this past year compared to most teams in the BEast. Hopefully, that continues.
If Chase and Ben make anywhere near the leap OMax, TyKo and company made last year, I am booking my hotel in AZ at the start of the season.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 06:44:43 PM »
I'm more of a Chelsea fan than an Arsenal supporter.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 06:11:40 AM »
I'm more of a Chelsea fan than an Arsenal supporter.

I heard they recently fired you as manager this year along with the 30 other guys.

What is life like half way down the table?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2023, 08:15:29 AM »
I heard they recently fired you as manager this year along with the 30 other guys.

What is life like half way down the table?

New owner, Todd Boehly.

He is making it challenging to continue to support them ... they had their chance to get Tom Ricketts (Cubs owner), but now they are stuck with an idiot.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2023, 08:27:48 AM »

Oso:  I'm tremendously excited to see what the young man brings to the table come November.  He is much more offensively skilled than I think people realize.  We've talked about the face up J.  I think he can add that AND become even more effective scoring inside in the wide-post. 

Ty hurts his thumb and it was tap city in the NCAA's. Chase could be that guy to keep the momentum going next season.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2023, 02:34:54 PM »
I just hope Oso figures out his free throws. He shot 74% as a sophomore but 54% as a Junior.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2023, 03:30:24 PM »
I just hope Oso figures out his free throws. He shot 74% as a sophomore but 54% as a Junior.

Mind games