[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way Too Early Rankings - Complete List  (Read 13623 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Way Too Early Rankings - Complete List
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2023, 02:52:39 PM »
I guess they literally can't say were underrated.

Well, it's not unanimous...
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2023, 04:40:02 PM »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2023, 07:26:38 PM »
You forgot egg hating   ;D

That would be kicking a guy when he’s down.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2023, 09:36:28 AM »
To be honest, I hadn't seen Jackson's comments either. I hadn't thought of Jackson as a potential early entrant but doing some quick googling I see he's projected to be a second rounder in a few mocks. He's got the right size and defensive chops to be a pro but I didn't think he'd have a shot with how poor his shooting was.

The comments are encouraging for UConn fans, but I wouldn't take them as gospel. Justin Lewis said he was coming back on his Instagram last season but ultimately rescinded and went pro. If Jackson were to get drafted, it's hard to imagine his stock being higher than it is now. I guess if he is just as good next season but becomes a sharpshooter as well but I don't know how likely that is.

My thinking is that if he was a decent shooter he'd be an absolute lock in the first round. If a team thinks they can turn him into something serviceable there, no brainer to grab him late 1st or 2nd. The size, athleticism, defense, feel for the game are all there. Even if his shooting never gets better, I think he's at least an NBA rotation player in the regular season.

The relationship between him and Hurley seems to be pretty strong from comments that have been made by both, so sticking around wouldn't shock me at all.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »
Looking at UConn, I think Clingan and Jackson are the two that should be most inclined to go (after obviously Hawkins). Both have appealing upside and haven't been overly exposed yet in terms of their negatives. Right now, Clingan can ride the "next Walker Kessler" train to the draft but if he stays too long he could be the "next Zach Edey" that is never getting picked no matter his collegiate production. Jackson has all the tools and if he can convince a team they can fix his shot has a decent chance of getting called. But if he stays and the shot doesn't start to improve, he could get written off as one of those guys that is borderline but not quite worthy (like Justin ended up, though for different reasons).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2023, 02:00:39 PM »
Looking at UConn, I think Clingan and Jackson are the two that should be most inclined to go (after obviously Hawkins). Both have appealing upside and haven't been overly exposed yet in terms of their negatives. Right now, Clingan can ride the "next Walker Kessler" train to the draft but if he stays too long he could be the "next Zach Edey" that is never getting picked no matter his collegiate production. Jackson has all the tools and if he can convince a team they can fix his shot has a decent chance of getting called. But if he stays and the shot doesn't start to improve, he could get written off as one of those guys that is borderline but not quite worthy (like Justin ended up, though for different reasons).

Run it back? A look at what the UConn men's basketball team's roster could look like next season
David Borges
April 5, 2023

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/huskies-dan-hurley-adama-sanogo-jordan-hawkins-17878666.php

HOUSTON — It didn't take long for the question to pop up in the victorious UConn men's basketball team's locker room on Monday night.

Will the Huskies run it back?

Obviously, a lot remains to be seen in the coming weeks, even months. Some players will leave the program, either via graduation, going pro or, possibly, the transfer portal. Several new faces will join the roster, including the No. 4-rated 2023 recruiting class in the country.

But the core of this championship team will likely stay intact as the Huskies embark on a journey to become the first repeat national champion since Florida in 2007. That Gator team, led by Joakim Noah, expressly announced its desire to repeat its 2006 title win over UCLA and made good on it. Similarly, the 2009 North Carolina team, which had gone 36-3 but lost to Kansas in the Final Four the prior season, made it a point to have most of its key players come back and delivered a title.

So, will these Huskies be motivated to do the same? In this day and age of Name, Image and Likeness compensation, it's not out of the realm. Staying in school for another year to reap NIL benefits could be more lucrative than turning pro and playing in the G-League, or even in Europe.

First, let's look at who'll be leaving. Joey Calcaterra, "Joey California" himself, is out of eligibility and off into the real world. He may look into playing in Italy or Greece.

Jordan Hawkins is a likely NBA first-round draft pick, maybe even a lottery pick, as Dan Hurley suggested on Monday night. If that's the case, he's almost certainly gone, just like James Bouknight two years earlier.

Everywhere else, there are question marks. Adama Sanogo may be the biggest one. The NCAA tourney's Most Outstanding Player dominated in March, and most of the season, but the NBA doesn't value 6-foot-9 centers. He has developed a perimeter shooting game (35.8 percent from 3), however, and may have boosted his stock with his tourney run.

Asked about his future on Monday night, Sanogo was non-committal.

"I'll talk to my coaches, my family, and go from there," he said.

Andre Jackson Jr. is a unique player with the athleticism and defensive prowess to find an NBA niche. He's on scouts' radars, but may not bring enough offense to the table. Will he be back at UConn next season?

"I hope so. I want to come back," he said. "If Coach tells me to leave, I'll leave. But I want to come back."

So, Jackson will be back.

Seniors Tristen Newton and Nahiem Alleyne and little-used junior Richie Springs all joined Calcaterra in Senior Day festivities in February, but all three still have a year of eligibility left. Newton, an NCAA all-tournament selection, could return as the Huskies' starting point guard. UConn has McDonald's All-American point guard Stephon Castle coming in next season, but handing the point guard reins to a freshman, even one as talented as Castle, can be risky.

Alleyne, who really turned it up in March, would seem to be a good candidate to return. Springs appears to have played his last game in a UConn uniform. Junior Hassan Diarra, this year's back-up point guard whose playing time dwindled in March, has some decisions to make.

There's the Samson Johnson quandary. Johnson is a much-heralded, 6-10 forward whose sophomore season was derailed by an early-season foot injury. Hurley has publicly pleaded for Johnson to "be patient." It remains to be seen what he'll do.

Then there are the fab freshmen, Donovan Clingan and Alex Karaban. Clingan, the 7-footer from Bristol, could possibly be an NBA first-round pick in June if he declared. It's unlikely he'll do so, however, if you heard him talking Monday night.

Clingan spoke of how Emeka Okafor and Ray Allen were telling him after the game to "live in the gym this summer, and I'll be able to take over this program one day. It's nice to hear that from such great people who left their marks on UConn history. It means a lot to have support from them."

Clingan will likely test the NBA Draft waters. Will he return for his sophomore season?

"Yes sir. We've got a great group of guys coming in. It should be fun."

Karaban has already started that campaign.

"Hell yeah, I'm talking to D.C., maybe we can pull off some Breanna Stewart 4-for-4  (national titles)," Karaban quipped, referring to Clingan. "That's gonna be damn near impossible, but you've got to dream big in this program."

Indeed, it's a virtual certainty that Clingan won't be around for all four years. Karaban may not, either, though he's certain to return for at least another year or two.

Then there's the "Fab Five" recruiting class of Castle, 6-7 forward Jaylin Stewart, 6-4 guard Solo Ball, 6-7 forward Jayden Ross and 7-foot center Youssouf Singare. Castle appears to be first in line for playing time, though some of that hinges on whether Newton returns. Stewart should be a strong candidate for minutes, as well as Ball. Ross is probably less likely to be a factor as a freshman, and Singare is very raw offensively and could use a year as Clingan's (or, who knows, Sanogo and Clingan's) backup.

Either way, the Huskies must clear five roster spots to make room for the Fab Five. They'll find a way.

UConn has also been busy scouring the transfer portal, seemingly focused on finding a shooter or two.

A roster with Sanogo, Jackson, Newton, Karaban, Clingan and Alleyne at its core is national repeat-worthy (though it would be interesting to see how Clingan would feel about being a back-up again). Jackson, Newton, Karaban, Clingan and Alleyne, with Castle, Stewart, Ball, maybe Johnson making key contributions, would win a lot of games. There are too many other variant lineups to consider.

But there is little question that the Huskies will again be very strong next season. Little question that they can run it back.

david.borges@hearstmediact.com @DaveBorges

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2023, 02:35:59 PM »
There’s no scenario Marquette gets better.  Sure, the defense got better as the season went along, but to expect it to be better next year is silly.  Guys have been in the program for a few years, their ability to get better is capped. 

The freshmen may get better but so what?  They don’t play as many minutes as the upperclassmen have.  Sure, two years in the program and another season in the weight room might help, but I doubt that helps the team.
There are several of our stars who can develop their non dominant hand on the dribble drive . Refining those skills  will make our offense much more difficult to scheme and defend against .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2023, 04:43:24 PM »
Run it back? A look at what the UConn men's basketball team's roster could look like next season
David Borges
April 5, 2023

Meh...everyone says they're going to come back right afterwards. Sam Dekker said he was coming back. Then he declared.

Jackson's stock will likely never be higher, Clingan's could go up but is more likely to go down significantly. We won't know for sure for a few weeks, but I put absolutely zero stock in an article saying they'll all be back because of a few quote snippets on the heels of a national title win.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2023, 08:17:11 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2023, 08:51:57 AM »
I agree with the writers that Oso might be the most underrated player in the country. He's gonna have a great season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2023, 01:08:01 PM »
The Athletic is going all in on the Big East and I’m here for it: https://theathletic.com/4806133/2023/08/28/college-basketball-preseason-top-rankings-kansas-marquette-duke/?source=user_shared_article

Vecenie is the same writer who consistently pushed the "OMax is a mid-first-rounder" hype train.  He always has favorable stuff to say re: MU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2023, 01:12:52 PM »
Vecenie is the same writer who consistently pushed the "OMax is a mid-first-rounder" hype train.  He always has favorable stuff to say re: MU
Sam was wrong on Justin Lewis.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2023, 02:41:39 PM »

I mean he was picked 1st round, 24th. Was he really that far off?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2023, 02:44:28 PM »
I mean he was picked 1st round, 24th. Was he really that far off?

I don't think SaveOD said he was "really that far off"?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2023, 03:40:06 PM »
I can live with being picked second in the nation.  This way there’s still room for improvement.  This team needs some chip on its shoulder anyway.

It’s absolutely amazing how we went from the Wojo era to this in only three years.  That already seems like a decade ago.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2023, 04:00:27 PM »
I can live with being picked second in the nation.  This way there’s still room for improvement.  This team needs some chip on its shoulder anyway.

It’s absolutely amazing how we went from the Wojo era to this in only three years.  That already seems like a decade ago.

I mean, it was really done in one season.  Season one laid the groundwork.  By season two, we won the Big East regular season by 2 games, won the Big East Tournament, and were a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2023, 04:55:31 PM »
I can live with being picked second in the nation.

The last time we were preseason #2 was the Fall 1976 AP Poll. I'd take a similar outcome.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2023, 09:59:59 AM »
wades

Agreed on season one building the groundwork, but it is much bigger than that. That season was the turning point for the program, and I will remember as much as last season. That being said, I could not be happier seeing the preseason hype for the team. I can't say I am 100% surprised, but 100% surprised on how it was put together. I thought Shaka would have us highly ranked via the transfer portal.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2023, 10:26:00 AM »
wades

Agreed on season one building the groundwork, but it is much bigger than that. That season was the turning point for the program, and I will remember as much as last season. That being said, I could not be happier seeing the preseason hype for the team. I can't say I am 100% surprised, but 100% surprised on how it was put together. I thought Shaka would have us highly ranked via the transfer portal.

Agreed.  I was skeptical about Shaka's approach to not hitting the transfer portal.  I didn't think you could win in today's game without doing so, and I didn't think the talent he was bringing in was going to be good enough to make up for not getting proven talent in the portal.  But Shaka's and the staff's eye for talent appears to be pretty spot on, and so far they've been able to "get old" and hopefully will be "staying old" and winning with development and culture.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2023, 08:41:33 AM »
Only 2 seasons and an Italy trip under his belt. I love this man.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2023, 10:07:59 AM »
Only 2 seasons and an Italy trip under his belt. I love this man.

The trip to Italy has nothing to do with Shaka. The NCAA permits a foreign trip once every four years, and Marquette typically takes advantage of the rule, with recent prior trips to Spain in 2019 and Italy in 2015.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2023, 10:49:44 AM »
wades

Coach Smart has also managed to accomplish one major thing in only 2 years that Coach Wojo couldn't accomplish in 7 years and that is to re-balance the roster. Talk about building a solid  foundation. It's hard to build for long term success if you have guys coming and going all the time. We now have very talented people in all 4 classes, with an exceptional class coming in in 2025. And everyone seems pretty happy.

The re-balance is what I'm happy about.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2023, 02:50:08 PM »
The trip to Italy has nothing to do with Shaka. The NCAA permits a foreign trip once every four years, and Marquette typically takes advantage of the rule, with recent prior trips to Spain in 2019 and Italy in 2015.

I don't think he was trying to say Shaka deserves some sort of praise for the Italy trip. Just counting how long he's been our coach, two seasons and an Italy trip.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2023, 03:22:13 PM »
I don't think he was trying to say Shaka deserves some sort of praise for the Italy trip. Just counting how long he's been our coach, two seasons and an Italy trip.

And some post season workouts based on the Oso interview about after Wojo was fired
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback