[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023-2024 Expectations  (Read 44719 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 Expectations
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2023, 05:54:20 AM »
Jop looks leaner already. I think he's gonna make a big jump

Double entendre? 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2023, 08:09:00 AM »

His frame looks like he could put on a bunch of muscle.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2023, 10:31:52 PM »

Agree.  The defense won’t be as good but Shaka’s prediction that he could lead the conference in scoring might just happen this year.  Will be fun to watch the three point shooting fire works and some YMCA bully ball moves in the post. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2023, 06:18:36 AM »
Agree.  The defense won’t be as good but Shaka’s prediction that he could lead the conference in scoring might just happen this year.  Will be fun to watch the three point shooting fire works and some YMCA bully ball moves in the post.

If Jop ended up with starter minutes, that could be the case. I was really impressed with his defensive activity as the year went on. I think the majority was simply having far more active hands by the end of the year, which was evident in his higher steal rate (2.5%) in conference play than overall (1.9%). If he can translate that improvement to his man-to-man defense, he could be a positive defensive player.

Though for now, all of my expectations for next year still include O-Max. Just not enough indication that he'll be drafted yet for me to think he's gone.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2023, 08:25:04 AM »
Though for now, all of my expectations for next year still include O-Max. Just not enough indication that he'll be drafted yet for me to think he's gone.

Hoping you and TAMU are right!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2023, 09:03:05 AM »
Hoping you and TAMU are right!

I'm decidedly in the 50 50 camp
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »

You in charge of toasting marshmallows?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2023, 09:26:39 AM »
Here as well. Who knows what the heck Omax is thinking and how his thoughts are influenced by family, friends, his agency, etc. I suspect a lot will depend on whether he gets an invite to the NBA combine (as Justin did).If invited, I suspect he is gone.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2023, 11:10:56 PM »
Trey Alexander AND Ryan Kalkbrenner back to Creighton.

Terrance Shannon Jr. AND Coleman Hawkins Back to Illinois.

Dillon Mitchell back to Texas.

Zach Edey back to Purdue.

All relevant to Marquette's schedule next season. Going to be a gauntlet. They are going to be well prepared for March.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2023, 10:32:20 AM »

All relevant to Marquette's schedule next season. Going to be a gauntlet. They are going to be well prepared for March.

8 of 9 rotation players back for Marquette, and a couple real good freshmen coming in.

Excited about the battles to come!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »

I didn't expect Trey Alexander or Dillon Mitchell. Should be a great schedule.

UCLA, has also done great recently

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #261 on: June 01, 2023, 09:00:49 PM »
I didn't expect Trey Alexander or Dillon Mitchell. Should be a great schedule.

UCLA, has also done great recently

Some whispers UCLA might be about to add 2 elite European prospects (7’3 Aday Mara + 1 more) in addition to the 2 potential one and done foreigners they added last month (Ilane Fibleuil, Jan Vide) Mara is basically Donovan Clingan if he could shoot 3s and pass

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2023, 10:05:31 PM »
Some whispers UCLA might be about to add 2 elite European prospects (7’3 Aday Mara + 1 more) in addition to the 2 potential one and done foreigners they added last month (Ilane Fibleuil, Jan Vide) Mara is basically Donovan Clingan if he could shoot 3s and pass

Vide is the best of them, imo. he looks very good

MU82

• All American
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2023, 11:01:00 PM »
Seth Davis still has Marquette in his updated preseason top 5 even after O-Max decided to leave.

He also has Creighton at #6 and UConn at #12.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2023, 08:35:01 AM »
The BE is always a tough conference, but will be even more so this coming season. Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's will all be better. Seton Hall and Providence may not have really strong teams but will be competitive. And Creighton, UConn, and Xavier, along with MU, will battle it out to see who is top dog. Only Butler and DePaul look like they will continue to be bringing up the rear. Throw in a tough non-conf schedule, and it looks to be a very challenging season.

Is MU going to be better than this past season? Personally, I doubt it. A magical season like the past one is very hard to repeat. And, the loss of Omax will be felt. Will MU be a good team. Oh, yeah...really good. But, 17 conference wins is probably not going to happen again - for MU or any other BE team.

Any improvement in the team is going to have to come primarily from the improved play of Ben Gold, Chase Ross, and David Joplin. The three freshmen are not likely to make a significant difference just because they are freshmen. Tre Norman may get playing time, but probably not a lot of it, and the other two may not play much at all.

Certainly Gold, Joplin, and Ross can make a huge difference with continued development. No doubt about that. But, for the team to be a top ten team with FF aspirations, all three are going to have to take a big step forward.

Of course, last year at this time, we were all bemoaning the loss of Justin Lewis and wondering where the scoring would come from, and that seems to have worked out fine.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »
For the first time in the Shaka era I do not know what my expectations are at the moment. Plenty of reasons for optimism and few reasons to be pessimistic. Overall, I am excited for the upcoming season but probably with more muted expectations compared to some on here. That said, plenty of time before opening night and level of optimism can still rise before the season starts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
I don't really see any reasons for "pessimism" next season, Goose.

I think it's realistic to feel that the regular-season record won't be as good from a W/L standpoint, or that we might not win the conference titles again. But I don't think it's realistic to think we won't be very, very competitive.

My expectations are that we won't win as many games but that we will have more NCAA tournament success, though I reserve the right to change those expectations some after seeing what our final roster looks like.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »
17 conference wins is not repeatable, so I anticipate more Scoop meltdowns this year.

Otherwise, my expectations for this team are sky high. There’s no reason an already great offense shouldn’t be significantly better. The only question is defense in the wake of losing O-Max. Can this unit improve enough collectively to offset his departure? They’ll need to be better than last year to have a real shot at going deep.

Ultimately I expect this team to be battling at the top of the Big East and to make deep runs in the BE and NCAA tournaments. How we measure success will hinge on the NCAAT, even more than usual. Anything less than S16 is an outright disappointment, but really we need E8 or beyond. This is a special opportunity.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:15:42 AM by Tyler COLEk »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2023, 10:34:48 AM »
For the first time in the Shaka era I do not know what my expectations are at the moment. Plenty of reasons for optimism and few reasons to be pessimistic. Overall, I am excited for the upcoming season but probably with more muted expectations compared to some on here. That said, plenty of time before opening night and level of optimism can still rise before the season starts.

Goose, for 7 years we had Wojo, some success, yes, recruited well at times, was left the cupboard pretty empty, then during that time we all realized he could not coach a lick.  Shaka, with the cupboard really empty, recruited heavily and surprised us all with his coaching.  Yes, losing Omax will hurt at times, at times Omax was average at
best on the offensive end.  I was one who believed he should stay to improve his offensive skills.  Gone, now we will see how Gold and Ross improve from there freshman to soph season, I believe offensively the team should be improved.  Defense, we will see.  Here is a question for the board, has anybody watched the incoming freshman yet?  How they look, the team this year is deep.  I see no reason why they can not win at least 25 games next year.  That to me is a good season!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2023, 10:37:00 AM »
 :-[ii ::)
17 conference wins is not repeatable, so I anticipate more Scoop meltdowns this year.

Otherwise, my expectations for this team are sky high. There’s no reason an already great offense shouldn’t be significantly better. The only question is defense in the wake of losing O-Max. Can this unit improve enough collectively to offset his departure? They’ll need to be better than last year to have a real shot at going deep.

Ultimately I expect this team to be battling at the top of the Big East and to make deep runs in the BE and NCAA tournaments. How we measure success will hinge on the NCAAT, even more than usual. Anything less than S16 is an outright disappointment, but really we need E8 or beyond. This is a special opportunity.

17 conference wins is not repeatable - so that's a fact now?   What if they get 18?   I like the "factness" of all our scoopers - just like the "they will only score in the 50's factness of two years ago.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 01:34:12 PM by PointWarrior »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #270 on: June 02, 2023, 10:52:04 AM »
BC

I remain 100% bullish on Shaka and the program. My saying I have more muted expectations than some is not a slam. I think they will be a very good team next year, not just ready to say they can be a great team. I still think they have a high ceiling, but just not as much wiggle room without Omax. My biggest concerns is the lack of size and Joplin's defense. If he has improved, and he did last year, that removes one concern.

I definitely love the depth and only wish we they had another 6-8 guy on the team. I am also excited to see the freshmen play because it was another set up of talent on the recruiting front.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2023, 10:59:55 AM »
17 conference wins is not repeatable - so that's a fact now?   What of they get 18?   I like the "factness" of all our scoopers - just like the "they will only score in the50's factness of two years ago.

Or the "factness" of claiming that anyone said "they will only score in the 50s" two years ago  ;)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2023, 11:03:02 AM »
BC

I remain 100% bullish on Shaka and the program. My saying I have more muted expectations than some is not a slam. I think they will be a very good team next year, not just ready to say they can be a great team. I still think they have a high ceiling, but just not as much wiggle room without Omax. My biggest concerns is the lack of size and Joplin's defense. If he has improved, and he did last year, that removes one concern.

I definitely love the depth and only wish we they had another 6-8 guy on the team. I am also excited to see the freshmen play because it was another set up of talent on the recruiting front.

Shaka has principles, he has not going to give a questionable Transfer more NLI money then what he is giving to the players he has now.  I get it, but somewhat surprised that they have not been able to get some size as well.  With 2 scholys open I was and still are hoping there might be one still to be used.  School does
not start till September.  We will see.  He might want a 4 man class the following year, with 2 taken, I suspect they might get 1 or 2 players out of the 3 they are looking at.  Love to get Kon, if I was a kid looking at Virginia and Wisky, look at there style, boring.  Campus wise both are better then MU.  But MU is strictly a basketball school.  And they have Shaka!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #273 on: June 02, 2023, 11:12:45 AM »
Amadou gets Gold minutes.  Gold gets Joplin+ minutes.  Joplin gets OMax-ish minutes.   Oso carries on.   No injuries and that could work.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #274 on: June 02, 2023, 11:13:37 AM »
Anything less than a natty is a colossal failure and the school should shutdown imo
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”