'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Shaka needs a gray haired assistant....  (Read 2864 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
Shaka needs a gray haired assistant....
« on: March 20, 2023, 08:44:40 AM »
Shaka is a great face of the program.  He's eloquent, he's engaging, he's real, he has tons of energy... he's truly a great salesman for the program.  In turn, he loves expounding platitudes about how the team's relationships with each other are why we improved this year.  Even though this sounded a little silly, like Silicon Valley Bank focusing on global warming instead of astute banking policies, we went along with it as long as he kept winning. 

As Texas fans told us, and we saw last night, Shaka's weakness is he is not the best when it comes to the nuances of strategy and execution, especially so in March.  I've said in other posts that any team that takes away Kolek's ability to drive and penetrate will make us proverbial, left handed, and vulnerable to a bad game.  Bill Belichick was the master of taking away what you do best and making you left handed and therefore uncomfortable and out of sorts.

Just watching the first two minutes of this video this gray haired MSU assistant perfectly broke down every player on Marquette like he watched every Marquette game this year.  Clearly the experience Izzo and his staff had in relation to the nuances of March Madness strategy was the difference last night.  It's not a coincidence we played our worst game of the season as MSU's game plan and scouting had a lot to do with that. 

https://youtu.be/8qRL-QsKMQY

Nevada Smith is sharp and already plays this role with Shaka pretty well.  However, I think we could use one more gray haired, great basketball mind assistant to help us to take it to the next level. 

Let Shaka focus on recruiting, talking to cameras and running practices.  Surround him with one great, road warrior recruiter and two to three, older great basketball minds who have no interest in becoming a head coach.   

My two cents just spent. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:03:43 AM by duanewade »

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Shaka needs a gray haired assistant....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:48:03 AM »
Ok, but can he have no hair?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 08:55:50 AM »
What about Crean?

Yes that is in teal

"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:00:00 AM »
Is Jerry still out of the nursing home?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
This team was picked 9th for a reason.  Lots of warts and weaknesses on this team.  That Shaka was able to accomplish what he did this year shows how great of a coach he really is.  No need for a grizzled veteran assistant coach.

Michigan State was always going to be a tough out.  We had a lot of unforced turnovers and some bad decision making by players who for the most part didn't make those bad decisions all year long.

I understand the hurt and disappointment of this loss and the desire to figure out a way to lay blame and fix it.  Fixing it will come internally as players and coaches look to learn from this past year and get better.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 09:27:25 AM »
Sigh
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 09:33:40 AM »
Hire Bobby Cremins now!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 09:41:11 AM »
Hire Bobby Cremins now!
I don't know, he's more of a white haired coach.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 09:41:35 AM »
We’re one Scooper-on-staff away from greatness
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »

Nads knows ballz.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 09:46:16 AM »
Sure in heck don’t need some dated coach. This team will be just a tad stronger next year and better able to handle the MSU’s of the world. 

Love this team and love this staff. Gave a lot of folks trouble this year despite having a younger finesse team. It was a great season.  Only missing a back up big who could play D and rebound. Maybe he was injured on our bench, maybe not.  That was one heck of a team in year two. Don’t mess with success!

Definitely don’t need any new coaches.  I hope we can keep the ones we have!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 09:47:41 AM »
Wow... this is a bad take.

How about we just find some bench guys that play well, Kolek plays a little better, and we just go 1-2 games further?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 09:56:13 AM »

And people thought the Wojo years were bad
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 11:44:31 AM »
The only guy in the NCAA who could out-scheme Shaka for 40 minutes was on the other bench.
Maybe Boeheim would come in as an assistant and teach the zone!

Not worried at all about the coaching staff
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 12:19:32 PM »
This thread is repugnant.

Look, yesterday's loss was disappointing. Nobody, and I mean nobody, knows that more than Coach Shaka and the guys. If we wanted a Sweet 16 and beyond badly, they'd probably given just about thing for it. I can only imagine the "what ifs" and "whys" that are going on in everyone's head. Hell, they worked hard all season to get here and then failed to move on.

To pile on with this crap is just bullshi*.

Some of you who do not have the institutional memory of Goose, me or several of our Brothers and Sisters who were around during the McGuire era fail to understand that Al too had his struggles. It took the team Al's entire career before we won a National Title. I don't even think what some of the clowns who criticized our team would have done to Ric Cobb in 1969 when he missed a free throw that would have sent us to the Final Four. Or Allie McGuire, when he failed to reestablish presence inbounds in 1971. Or, Coach Al himself when he took two technicals in the 1974 Championship game. I could go on but...

Thank God there was no Scoop and no social media back then.

Coach Shaka and the Guys gave us a great season. They played their hearts out and hustled like hell from tipoff to the final buzzer. Along the way, I may have been critical but they sure as hell tried and the talent was there. Guys, get over it -- our guys will fix what happen and better next year.

Coach Shaka is the best thing that happened to us since Coach Al. Period. Its the bush league nonsense like this thread and others that in Texas drove Coach Shaka into our hands.

Gang, we're better than this!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 12:20:21 PM »
This thread is repugnant.

Look, yesterday's loss was disappointing. Nobody, and I mean nobody, knows that more than Coach Shaka and the guys. If we wanted a Sweet 16 and beyond badly, they'd probably given just about thing for it. I can only imagine the "what ifs" and "whys" that are going on in everyone's head. Hell, they worked hard all season to get here and then failed to move on.

To pile on with this crap is just bullshi*.

Some of you who do not have the institutional memory of Goose, me or several of our Brothers and Sisters who were around during the McGuire era fail to understand that Al too had his struggles. It took the team Al's entire career before we won a National Title. I don't even think what some of the clowns who criticized our team would have done to Ric Cobb in 1969 when he missed a free throw that would have sent us to the Final Four. Or Allie McGuire, when he failed to reestablish presence inbounds in 1971. Or, Coach Al himself when he took two technicals in the 1974 Championship game. I could go on but...

Thank God there was no Scoop and no social media back then.

Coach Shaka and the Guys gave us a great season. They played their hearts out and hustled like hell from tipoff to the final buzzer. Along the way, I may have been critical but they sure as hell tried and the talent was there. Guys, get over it -- our guys will fix what happen and better next year.

Coach Shaka is the best thing that happened to us since Coach Al. Period. Its the bush league nonsense like this thread and others that in Texas drove Coach Shaka into our hands.

Gang, we're better than this!

We’re not

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »
We’re not

Brother Rico:

Sadly, you might be right.

But I'd like to think that we have some human understanding and compassion for our team when things don't go the way we want them to. Pat 'em on the back and hope for bigger and better things next year. We'll be here for them.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 12:46:43 PM »
Brother Rico:

Sadly, you might be right.

But I'd like to think that we have some human understanding and compassion for our team when things don't go the way we want them to. Pat 'em on the back and hope for bigger and better things next year. We'll be here for them.

I agree with your thoughts. 

Most of the criticism about yesterday has been fair.  Some of it just bizarre.  Some of it ridiculous.  Some of it ignores how the team is built by philosophy.

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 01:40:31 PM »
What about a bald assistant coach ? Stress induced hair loss is the hallmark of a hard worker.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 01:58:56 PM »
The totality of what you are saying is a massive overreaction.

To compare the central bankers and evil elites pillage of Silicon Valley Bank and the hoax of climate change, which is intended to create a globalist tax and communist restrictions on the common men and women of this country, with the coaching of a college basketball team is silly and disingenuous.

However, I understand things are a still emotional right now so I'm not going to ridicule you for making this absurd comparison. I understand losing hurts, but we are just fans so losing only hurts if we let it. Don't let it hurt. There is so much more to life than college basketball.

When we let emotion cloud our judgment, we lose our freewill and our ability to think clearly. It is at that point our thoughts are captured by the emotions of the moment and we lose focus.

Give your mind some time to "breath". Then think about this season. You will then realize what a rare and special season this was in 2022-23. As a fan, it was truly a gift. A conference BE Championship and a BET Championship in the same season is a rare feat for any program. There was also a lot of post-season french pastry with the BE Player of the Year, countless other individual awards, and a No. 2 seed in the Dance; the program's highest seed ever in the NCAA Tournament seeding era.

Yes, the carnival gates closed early yesterday. That game was a real Dunkirk. But your comments about Tyler Kolek are way off base. Tyler was injured, it was obviously by his play. His ability to make moves off of the dribble was severely limited. His injured right hand could not protect the ball while dribbling with his dominant left hand, he was not strong with the ball dribbling or passing in traffic, his shot was not strong nor was it accurate, his equilibrium was likely off due to pain, he was indecisive, and not confident. His defense suffered just the same. He was not the Tyler that we saw for a large majority of this season. I give him credit for playing yesterday and "toughing it out". One thing he will hopefully learn from yesterday's game experence is how to make a positive impact and win a game when he is injured or is struggling. This comes with maturity and that is one of the benefits of yesterday's loss as we look to the future with this up and coming team.

I've got important news to share with you. Every team's season ends in disappointment but one. Coach Al once said, "Life is what you allow yourself not to see". This brilliant quote is not limited to singular polarity. It's perspective can be taken positively or negatively or even both. A unique way of remindering us to keep our eyes on the ball; that which is truly important.

Don't let your frustration blind you from the amazing progress this program has made in only two years under Smart Coach. The future is tremendously bright and with continued improvement in this team and in recruiting we are in for a wonderful ride under Smart Coach during this decade. To not understand this means that you are not allowing yourself to see the ball.

Having said all of this, I am not opposed to your idea of having a seasoned gray haired assistant join Smart Coach's staff someday in the future. But not now because this is a completely different situation. Right now it's too soon in Shaka's tenure to hire an assistant coach of this nature.

Smart Coach is an established coach that's had big time success in the past and now at Marquette. Coaches like Juwan Howard, Patrick Ewing, or Anfernee Hardaway actually needed coaches like Phil Martelli, Louis Orr, etc. because of their minimal experience running a big time college program. Ewing has now been fired so it really didn't do him much good. It didn't work when DePaul did this either.

Also, keep in mind, this situation can be as devastating as it can be productive. A head coach like Shaka can truly risk a mutiny in his program when he hires an assistant coach of this nature. It takes a very special person with a very special personality to take on a role like this and accept his place and Tex Winter (Bulls) and Hank Raymond's aren't available. Maybe down the road this could be considered, but as I stated not now.

So let's enjoy the tremendous accomplishments of this season and recognize the incredible progress of the program these last two seasons. Smart Coach has done nothing that warrants the requirement of a gray haired assistant on his bench. In fact, he might view this as a slap in the face by the university when he did an excellent job this season.

In closing, I'm going to leave you with another comment by Coach Al that I believe will give great perspective on this season and the future. "Keep it simple, when you get too complex you forget the obvious."

'Taller

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:29:36 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 12:15:54 AM »
What about a bald assistant coach ? Stress induced hair loss is the hallmark of a hard worker.

Shaka grew his hair out when he got cushier gigs. Makes you think
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:51:40 AM by GB Warrior »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 05:05:35 AM »
I feel like Shaka owned every important halftime adjustment of the year...including MSU.

I want NCAA wins as much as anyone...but the consistency shown from this coaching staff to win the BEAST x2 is proof enough to me. 

I'm very happy with this year...far exceeded my expectations.

I get that random monday morning quarterbacks on Scoop don't effect Shaka...but I'm much more worried about him leaving us than anything else.  I think the entire fan base would be wise to make sure he knows how much we appreciate him.

SonOfWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 06:45:59 AM »
What Coach Smart needs is time. We forget that we’re ahead of the natural curve of rebuilding a program. Y’all need a Xanax and a time out.  They’ve shown the ability to adjust at half time. Much better than most, I would argue. MSU beat Marquette because they executed. Marquette didn’t execute. Coach can’t go out there and do it for them.  Tip your cap to MSU and celebrate this team, no rudder adjustment needed. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 07:01:02 AM »
I feel like Shaka owned every important halftime adjustment of the year...including MSU.

I want NCAA wins as much as anyone...but the consistency shown from this coaching staff to win the BEAST x2 is proof enough to me. 

I'm very happy with this year...far exceeded my expectations.

I get that random monday morning quarterbacks on Scoop don't effect Shaka...but I'm much more worried about him leaving us than anything else.  I think the entire fan base would be wise to make sure he knows how much we appreciate him.

Agreed,  especially to the last paragraph.  MU will only get better under Shaka.  We are at the beginning of a renaissance for MU and the Big East with all the new coaches in the league.  The next 5-10 years should be an unbelievably fun roller coaster ride.  Let’s enjoy it! 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 07:43:07 AM »
Shaka has been a head coach for over a decade.    He does not need a gray haired assistant.   When the time inevitably comes that one of his assistants leaves, he needs innovative thinkers like Nevada Smith.     Not a Tom Crean-esque coach emeritus.
This year's offense was so innovative because it is NEW thinking.

At the end of the K-State/Kentucky game, K-state did a variation of an inbounds play that I haven't seen before.    Lots of teams have multiple guys standing out of bounds to start an inbounds play at the end of games.     K-State actually ran, well, a bubble screen to get the ball to their PG.   Wonderfully creative.   That did not come from a coach emeritus.    Give me the coach who came up with that.   Better yet, find me the coach who looks at that, says 'damn', and figures out how to (A) defend it and steal the ball, and (B) how to turn it into an entire press break where the PG catches the ball in motion coming to the middle of the floor and then takes off with it with his wings filled.   

Get the most energetic, creative assistant coaches you can find.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:50:26 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback