Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NIL - We’re All Wondering  (Read 9720 times)

panda

• All American
Re: NIL - We’re All Wondering
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2023, 12:40:32 PM »
This is the gold rush era for college athletes. They are going to be throwing money around like there is no tomorrow.

Agreed - The market will level out in the next few years when boosters start to get burned by athletes either performing below the desired output or leaving the school's program before expected.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2023, 01:00:49 PM »
panda

Agreed. It will be the wild west until smart boosters realize the money is not bringing the ROI, and in this case the ROI is winning. At this time, I would recommend to any non MU player, chase the money while you can. I think there will be mid level players making very nice money the next few years. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2023, 01:23:05 PM »
panda

Agreed. It will be the wild west until smart boosters realize the money is not bringing the ROI, and in this case the ROI is winning. At this time, I would recommend to any non MU player, chase the money while you can. I think there will be mid level players making very nice money the next few years. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Goose, that’s a very honest take. It’s troubling because it hits so hard at the uncomfortable truth. That almost everyone will be in these kids’ ears to take the money and run. I would tell any kid at ANY program to look at the totality of your situation. Is your development progressing at a rate you’re happy with? Do you get along with your coaches and teammates? Do the systems played by your program accentuate your talents? If you answered positively to these questions, what amount of money would justify a change? If Marquette’s retention effort falls $200G short of blue-blood teamY, who cannot match MU in terms of the player development, relationships, system/style calculus, then Player X can think of staying at MU and foregoing the immediate payday as a $200K investment with its own ROI. There’s a ton to think about here. If the Boosters’ ROI is measured in winning, the players have even more to calculate, as they should be striving to be the absolute best version of themselves over the very long haul.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2023, 08:13:24 AM »
We all keep saying that we are over signed for next year, but is that notion obsolete with NIL?

Are walk-ons forbidden from receiving NIL?

I recall 10 or 15 years ago Duke had a McDs AA as a walk-on. I’m sure other promises were made, which can now be above board.

We’ve heard about some players getting $1 million NIL deals.  Does the scholarship money even matter at that point? Fine, I’m a walk on and I’m netting $960,000.

Moving down the pecking order, you could take a scholarship spot at a mid major, or walk on at a high major that can at least match tuition with NIL money.

Just wondering if anybody knows if the NCAA has accounted for this.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2023, 08:56:39 AM »
We all keep saying that we are over signed for next year, but is that notion obsolete with NIL?

Are walk-ons forbidden from receiving NIL?

I recall 10 or 15 years ago Duke had a McDs AA as a walk-on. I’m sure other promises were made, which can now be above board.

We’ve heard about some players getting $1 million NIL deals.  Does the scholarship money even matter at that point? Fine, I’m a walk on and I’m netting $960,000.

Moving down the pecking order, you could take a scholarship spot at a mid major, or walk on at a high major that can at least match tuition with NIL money.

Just wondering if anybody knows if the NCAA has accounted for this.

First, no it's not obsolete. The vast majority of scholarship athletes are getting very little in NIL, and walk-ons are almost certainly getting an average of maybe slightly above $0.

Second, no they are not forbidden, but when most rosters only go 7-8 deep, I don't think you're going to find a list of high-level walk-ons that want to ride pine.

Who was that Duke McDonald's All-American walk-on? The only high profile walk-on I remember recently was Doug McDermott, who got his tuition paid because his dad was a Creighton employee.

I think people are vastly overvaluing what's actually going on with NIL. Significant dollars are going to a small minority of players. However, that means keeping those players becomes that much more difficult. You're going to see 80-90% of players get nothing (or virtually nothing) and the other minority get disproportionately large amounts that put the John Ruiz types in the driver's seat.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:26:24 AM by 1318WWells »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2023, 10:20:18 AM »
NIL site posted by PaintTouches.

Some awesome Team Championship and Player merch available here. Good stuff!

https://athletesthread.com/collections/marquette-university-ncaa-mens-basketball
VIOLENCE!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2023, 12:07:58 PM »
As a foreigner, Gold is limited in NIL options at the moment

So this is the only rule the NCAA is enforcing? The upside of this kid is worth his weight in gold.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2023, 12:22:40 PM »
So this is the only rule the NCAA is enforcing? The upside of this kid is worth his weight in gold.
It was mentioned previously, but this isn't a NCAA rule, it's a rule for all foreigners in the US on a student visa.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2023, 04:24:01 PM »
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1708740-duke-basketball-the-5-most-unlikely-success-stories-in-blue-devils-history

Melchionni

2002 Honorable Mention

Considering that anyone can nominate someone for All-American, that's not really a thing. He definitely wasn't an All-American. Good on him for becoming a spot starter and rotation player, but no one is confusing him with the rest of that recruiting class.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2023, 05:14:09 PM »
Even MU has it's own NIL collective. 

Its vs. it’s, but more importantly, your claim is false.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2023, 05:40:15 PM »
Its vs. it’s, but more importantly, your claim is false.

How's that, exactly?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2023, 07:46:09 PM »
How's that, exactly?

It r no exist, aina??

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2023, 08:01:44 PM »
It r no exist, aina??

It does. I had a meeting with the people running it about a week ago. It definitely exists.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2023, 08:17:56 PM »
It does. I had a meeting with the people running it about a week ago. It definitely exists.

I’m going with that MU can’t have its own, but people have one set up to support NIL opportunities for MU players.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2023, 08:25:38 PM »
I’m going with that MU can’t have its own, but people have one set up to support NIL opportunities for MU players.
Right.  Nice job translating JB to english.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2023, 08:49:08 PM »

Fair enough. But considering that pretty much every other NIL organization has the school advertising for them and sending out emails from official University accounts, I think those lines are getting more and more blurred.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2023, 10:32:32 PM »
Fair enough. But considering that pretty much every other NIL organization has the school advertising for them and sending out emails from official University accounts, I think those lines are getting more and more blurred.

Or, let’s see what the collective says:

“Is Be the Difference NIL affiliated with Marquette University?

No, we share no affiliation with Marquette University. “

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2023, 08:49:24 AM »
Quote from: Jay Bee link=topic=64655.msg1539532#msg1539532 date=
Or, let’s see what the collective says:

“Is Be the Difference NIL affiliated with Marquette University?

No, we share no affiliation with Marquette University. “

You missed this part:

"Be the Difference NIL, a registered Wisconsin 501(C)(3) is a collection of donors and alumni that supports student-athletes at Marquette University."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2023, 08:52:29 AM »
You missed this part:

"Be the Difference NIL, a registered Wisconsin 501(C)(3) is a collection of donors and alumni that supports student-athletes at Marquette University."
JayBee should change his screen name to "The Sultan of Pedantics"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2023, 10:14:44 AM »
You missed this part:

I didn’t miss it at all. Marquette has no NIL collective. They can’t. “It’s” was an attempt at “it’s”, e.g. possession. MU has none.

There is an NIL collective, whose stated purpose is support SAs at MU. That’s a significant distinction. Not only does MU not own or operate the collective, both parties will strongly state that there is no affiliation. For good reason.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2023, 11:20:34 AM »
VIOLENCE!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »
  Just heard Badgers NIL is setting up Webinars and talks to prepare kids for handling the money
of course with football they have a larger pool of athletes but this makes good sense to keep them
from making mistakes with the windfalls.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2023, 11:59:54 AM »
  Just heard Badgers NIL is setting up Webinars and talks to prepare kids for handling the money
of course with football they have a larger pool of athletes but this makes good sense to keep them
from making mistakes with the windfalls.

Sat through a recruiting conversation with a number of coaches including the Badger coach for one of my kids.

What bucky does, at least for non-foootball and basketball kids, is all athletes get $1000 per season in an account that the athlete gets when they graduate/move on.