[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Progress  (Read 1633 times)

MUDAN05

• Walk-On
Progress
« on: March 19, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »
It’s hard to swallow a loss.  It’s hard for me to see other Big East teams make the S16, like Xavier,  knowing we win the conference.

But progress was made this year.  The program is in good shape.  We overachieved.  Keep winning the conference and making the tourney.  Good things will happen in the future.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
Re: Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 06:38:59 PM »
Onward and upward.  I’m excited for next year!
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 06:45:31 PM »
Need to continue to upgrade the talent level. There were few games against top teams that we had the best talent on the court. Had the best team, but not talent.

I have zero concern that the talent level will again be an upgrade this year. This team was special because it was a fantastic team. Now, time to be a great team because of step up in talent.

Those tears in Kam’s eyes will be fuel like 95-63 was last year. Very disappointed on the outcome, but could not be more excited about the program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 06:49:27 PM »
There is no 'talent upgrade' coming, barring a mass exodus.  There is the returnees getting better, just like last season.  There is a healthy Ellis and a freshman class.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 06:51:32 PM »
Happy with that. This group is bringing relevancy back to the program. Love em.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 06:53:03 PM »
Shaka has made Marquette basketball relevant again - the arrow is pointing up.

MUDAN05

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 06:56:01 PM »
I agree, no talent upgrade coming, barring a breakout freshman.  These guys love Marquette.  Maybe it was the thumb, that wasn’t the Tyler we know.  He’ll be better next March. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 07:01:19 PM »
tower

I strongly disagree with your comment but not going to debate tonight. For the record, my belief is there are several returning guys that still have a lot of room for improvement.

Thanks for the game recaps this season. Your takes are always well done.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 07:01:25 PM »
Deep breath in, deep breath out.

This team reminded me of the 2015 Cubs in many ways. Succeeding a year early by playing with incredible passion and connectedness. Unfortunately their post season ends (comparatively) a round or two sooner than those Cubs. But next year just may be 2016.

No doubt that hurt like hell no doubt, but they’ll be back with a vengeance.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 07:01:58 PM »
It’s hard to swallow a loss.  It’s hard for me to see other Big East teams make the S16, like Xavier,  knowing we win the conference.

But progress was made this year.  The program is in good shape.  We overachieved.  Keep winning the conference and making the tourney.  Good things will happen in the future.

Those teams have old dudes. We'll get there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 07:03:27 PM »
tower

I strongly disagree with your comment but not going to debate tonight. For the record, my belief is there are several returning guys that still have a lot of room for improvement.

We agree.  But, like last year, I anticipate the progress will be from within, not an external infusion.  Put another way, I would be stunned if MU is active in the portal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 07:03:39 PM »
Deep breath in, deep breath out.

This team reminded me of the 2015 Cubs in many ways. Succeeding a year early by playing with incredible passion and connectedness. Unfortunately their post season ends (comparatively) a round or two sooner than those Cubs. But next year just may be 2016.

No doubt that hurt like hell no doubt, but they’ll be back with a vengeance.

We all lived through the "letter offseason" that tanked a preseason top 3 squad. Nothing is guaranteed, which is why pissing this opportunity in a gutted East hurts so much.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 07:04:48 PM »
After 2 years of Wojo, I knew Marquette was going nowhere. We have a great coach that plays an exciting brand of bball. His energy will draw more top recruits. Thank you Shaka for allowing me to enjoy MU bball again. Next year, Top 5 to start the year.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 07:05:47 PM »
tower

Second this. I always look forward to Tower's takes - and they're usually pretty much spot on.

DWIGHT

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 07:09:05 PM »
I believe Villanova had a tough 2nd round loss to NC St. prior to winning it all over UNC. They brought their guys back, and ended up taking it all. Maybe better things are in store for next year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 07:10:14 PM »
I believe Villanova had a tough 2nd round loss to NC St. prior to winning it all over UNC. They brought their guys back, and ended up taking it all. Maybe better things are in store for next year.

They also lost as a 2-seed in 2014 to UConn
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 07:13:57 PM »
progress is an understatement. best team in since a crean team.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 07:22:36 PM »

Came here looking for some positivity. This was a good reminder. We’re seeded better in all of d1 compared to where picked in conference. Thanks for the reminder.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2023, 07:22:49 PM »
We agree.  But, like last year, I anticipate the progress will be from within, not an external infusion.  Put another way, I would be stunned if MU is active in the portal.
I don't disagree with this, but I do think we will be getting better recruits.  It's a stretch to guess at...but a Tre Norman could have helped today. 

Hope everyone returns.  Plenty of room for growth from a team that made history.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 07:24:13 PM »
I don't disagree with this, but I do think we will be getting better recruits.  It's a stretch to guess at...but a Tre Norman could have helped today. 

Hope everyone returns.  Plenty of room for growth from a team that made history.

Most freshmen are bad. I have hope for him. They need someone who can muck things up inside. Kur would have helped today

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
Another issue I we we address this off season is our inability to get to the free throw line. Again today, MSU made more free throws that we even attempted. I’m hoping this is corrected as our guards get older and stronger.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2023, 07:45:46 PM »
We all lived through the "letter offseason" that tanked a preseason top 3 squad. Nothing is guaranteed, which is why pissing this opportunity in a gutted East hurts so much.

This. If the gang sticks together it’s not unfathomable that Marquette could end up as pre season #1

But you just never know with transfers, injuries, etc.

I really thought this was the year, like if they could just get past Michigan State, nobody was beating them in the Garden.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 02:03:53 AM »
Yes, progress was certainly made this year. I think the teams effort level was off the charts, which helped end the "February slump" of the past several seasons. Winning the Big East regular season and tournament was awesome.

Even if everyone returns next year, it'll be hard to top this regular season. Other Big East teams are going to get better, you never know how injuries will play out, we could lose more of the 1-3 point games, etc..

Marquette still needs to prove they can do something in the NCAA tournament. So far they haven't. That's why Sunday's loss was such a blown opportunity. For as great a job as Shaka did this year, he also needs to prove his mettle in the NCAAs. His record since the VCU Final Four run is abysmal in the tourney. It's the main reason he and Texas parted ways. Lets hope this gets solved so we can all celebrate a return to the Sweet 16 (and hopefully beyond).