'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Tournament  (Read 77921 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: NCAA Tournament
« Reply #1550 on: March 26, 2023, 07:45:44 PM »
I know this is a non sequitur but if Shaq was playing in this era do you believe he would either not play in the NBA or play differently?

Orlando Shaq would have done just fine in today’s NBA.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: March 26, 2023, 07:45:57 PM »
The coaches I've worked with teach, "Find, hit and git." You locate an opponent (find), box him or her out (hit), and then you move forward to pursue the basketball (git).

No coach I know teaches a player to box out the opponent and just keep moving backward and backward away from the basketball. Go git the ball!

Didn't buzz used to tell Otule his job was to box out the other team's big and the rest of our guys would actually get the rebound?

panda

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: March 26, 2023, 07:55:38 PM »
Didn't buzz used to tell Otule his job was to box out the other team's big and the rest of our guys would actually get the rebound?

The kalkbrenner/Creighton strategy

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: March 26, 2023, 07:56:44 PM »
Orlando Shaq would have done just fine in today’s NBA.

But early LA Shaq would not?  Here's what I'm getting at:  Shaq obviously couldn't really be guarded in his prime against conventional centers.  He certainly couldn't be guarded by smaller dudes as well.  What exactly would prevent him in today's game from getting deep position and annihilating guys?  Now I get it, defensively is where he would have a big problem.  Especially when he got to 330 lbs or more.  That said he could essentially score at will and draw tons of fouls.  How would you adapt as a coach, in this era, with a Shaq?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: March 26, 2023, 07:59:27 PM »

He did.  Part of that was Otule's depth perception was diminished due to only having one eye.  It affects how you track objects rapidly changing direction.  Ergo, take up as much space and occupy as many opponents as possible, allowing a teammate to get the rebound.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1555 on: March 26, 2023, 08:01:08 PM »
I'm extremely excited to watch Wemby's development. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: March 26, 2023, 08:01:58 PM »
What NCAA tourney team is he on?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1557 on: March 26, 2023, 08:08:27 PM »
What NCAA tourney team is he on?

Sorry, I went a bit off topic. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1558 on: March 26, 2023, 08:39:51 PM »
It’s a pretty coming strategy and the same I described but apparently some think only Wojo would use it 🙄
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: March 26, 2023, 09:57:45 PM »
If you think coaches want their players to do what that Texas kid did while boxing out - keep going backward and backward, even when the opponent is in the air … cool.

I doubt that’s what the Texas coach actually wanted. But if he did he was rewarded with a correctly called foul on his guy at a crucial moment in the game with the Final Four on the line.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1560 on: March 27, 2023, 08:28:59 AM »
If you think coaches want their players to do what that Texas kid did while boxing out - keep going backward and backward, even when the opponent is in the air … cool.

I doubt that’s what the Texas coach actually wanted. But if he did he was rewarded with a correctly called foul on his guy at a crucial moment in the game with the Final Four on the line.
Yes. A player should get low and drive but the split second the other player leaves the floor he should immediately stop his momentum without the opposing force that was just offering resistance a split second before. That makes sense.

As I said - the rule is what I take issue with
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1561 on: March 27, 2023, 08:35:35 AM »
But it is no longer get low and drive.  The current rule is maintain your position, not move your opponent back.   In order to cut down on physical play and undercutting.

Yes, a generation ago, that would have been a heroic box out.  Not today.

Finally, Chase Ross got called for a nearly identical move 2 weeks ago.  He got called for a flagrant, even though there was additional contact from other players adding to the pile up.   This call should not be a surprise.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: March 27, 2023, 08:51:48 AM »
I get it and I get it’s the rule. But it’s a continuing trend in sports where “safety” compromises the game.
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: March 27, 2023, 09:04:05 AM »
The call that galled me was where the player was first to the floor diving for a loose ball.  He was getting his hands on ot when an opposing player fell on him and smashed his face into the court.   And the first to the floor player with the smashed face got called for the foul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: March 27, 2023, 09:13:24 AM »
The call that galled me was where the player was first to the floor diving for a loose ball.  He was getting his hands on ot when an opposing player fell on him and smashed his face into the court.   And the first to the floor player with the smashed face got called for the foul.

Very inconsistently adjudicated, too. Some refs will let those situations become mini-war zones, while others will call fouls on almost no contact. It's more often the former, and injuries can and have occurred.

But it’s a continuing trend in sports where “safety” compromises the game.

I like safety. I prefer athletes not get maimed because of old-school techniques.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1565 on: March 27, 2023, 09:25:07 AM »
The consistency was the problem throughout that Creighton game. Was it a foul at the end? Certainly. Were more egregious calls let go all day long? Certainly. It was the right call, but if calls of that nature been made consistently for 40 minutes the outcome would've likely been wildly different.

That said, McDermott was horrible in the final minute. Never should've given the sixth foul, especially not with that much time on the clock. Your defense was set and SDSU had shown they couldn't score all game long, why not play it out or, if you're going to foul, do it with under 3 seconds? Then using their last timeout before the free throws? What are you thinking? You know you have 1.2, just yell to your team to inbound to halfcourt and then call timeout. That's enough time to catch and call TO, then get the inbound from midcourt where you can set up an actual play. Finally, the play you draw up is just to bomb it the length of the floor? Get it to a player running toward the basket. At least that gives you a legit chance. Expecting to outjump this physical SDSU team, bring it down, and get a shot back up was just too much. All in all, a terrible finish for him.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: March 27, 2023, 10:04:57 AM »
Very inconsistently adjudicated, too. Some refs will let those situations become mini-war zones, while others will call fouls on almost no contact. It's more often the former, and injuries can and have occurred.

I like safety. I prefer athletes not get maimed because of old-school techniques.
Lol
No Finish Line

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1567 on: March 31, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »
Dan Hurley's wife was on the Field of 68 and it was very entertaining. 

Goes off on a-hole UCONN and Providence fans at 5:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupUxdv0uYM

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1568 on: April 01, 2023, 10:34:38 AM »
Where have we heard this before?

Dusty May on returning to Florida Atlantic: 'I learned you never mess with happy'

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2023/03/31/dusty-may-returning-to-fau-because-money-has-never-been-his-motivation/70067736007/

"Dusty is certainly not motivated by money," Anna said. "We have learned that over the years, it's not always greener on the other side."

"I learned a long time ago you never mess with happy," he said. "And so I know what makes me happy, and right now at this point in my career I couldn't be any more pleased and happy with where we are."

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: April 01, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »

Dusty May on returning to Florida Atlantic: 'I learned you never mess with happy'

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2023/03/31/dusty-may-returning-to-fau-because-money-has-never-been-his-motivation/70067736007/

"Dusty is certainly not motivated by money," Anna said. "We have learned that over the years, it's not always greener on the other side."

"I learned a long time ago you never mess with happy," he said. "And so I know what makes me happy, and right now at this point in my career I couldn't be any more pleased and happy with where we are."

Let’s see how these statements hold up the next time the Indiana job opens up.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: April 01, 2023, 11:12:28 AM »
Let’s see how these statements hold up the next time the Indiana job opens up.

His response is probably a lot like Shaka's after he decided to return to VCU after not taking the Marquette job. I think Shaka was very happy with being at VCU and certainly was not going to make a statement like "well, not this year, but maybe next...I'm moving on. Being happy where you are but then taking another job are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: April 01, 2023, 11:25:56 AM »

Easy to say when no good jobs are open. Also, it’s probably not too bad living in Boca Raton.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: April 01, 2023, 11:57:57 AM »
Hawkins apparently missed practice yesterday.   That could be a big prob for the Huskies. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: April 01, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »
Hawkins apparently missed practice yesterday.   That could be a big prob for the Huskies.

He had diarrhea
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: April 01, 2023, 01:31:15 PM »
He had diarrhea

Well, I've been told basketball is a game of runs...

feedback