[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 161646 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2023, 04:39:15 PM »
College kids who will not play in the NBA will do better staying in school.  Use school to better themselves and get lots of money from NLI, Kolek might be an example.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2023, 05:30:12 PM »
BC

Agree completely. Non NBA impact players will benefit a great deal by staying in college.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2023, 06:17:09 PM »
College kids who will not play in the NBA will do better staying in school.  Use school to better themselves and get lots of money from NLI, Kolek might be an example.

I think Goose's addendum of "non-Impact" player is a good one.  If you're not a first round pick or near guarantee second rounder (aka top 15 picks of the 2nd) NLI changes the calculus of it.  You can make good money being a star in college which may level out the year of seasoning/growth you get as a full time professional player at a lower level.

Ive been vocal about Kolek being an NBA player.  But, he's not a first round pick and won't be regardless of when he leaves, but guys he compares favorably to it doesn't matter if he's entering the Summer League/undrafted ranks at 22 this year or 23 next year.  Being a preseason AA pick is worth more in absolute dollars with NLI than being in the G-League or Europe for a year, especially since he's shown he can progress immensely in his current situation.

My new fav comp for him is Goran Dragic, who entered the NBA around the same time a college senior would.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2023, 06:48:28 PM »
Kerr Kriisa from AZ has entered the portal.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2023, 08:30:48 PM »
Quote from: Juan Anderson's Mixtape link=topic=64559.msg1539310#msg1539310 date=
Well, we know at least one player has to leave.  My guess is the coaches gave the players a day or two to decompress from the loss.  Then conduct end of year meetings with the players this week.  Maybe some news Friday or Monday.

Supposedly Shaka knew who was leaving when he accepted a 14th commitment. If that was the case, I'm not sure why you'd delay.  It's unfair to that person not to have him in the portal as soon as possible, as every day he waits, spots are filling up at potential destination programs.

I suspect there are other issues at play, and the one designated for transfer is waiting to see what shakes out. He may have planned to leave but has been asked to hold off as there may be a scholarship for him after all.

The other issue at play is a potential medical hardship waiver for Wrightsil to get another year of eligiblity. He meets the criteria--only played in 3 games, well under the 30% limit, and all were before the 50% of the season. He may well decide that he's done with college ball, but he stuck with MU all season and seemed highly engaged with the team. If he wants to play next year, it's either going to be at MU or he has to put his name in the portal.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2023, 08:33:40 PM »

Sounds like he may be headed to Xavier.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2023, 08:42:57 PM »
Sounds like he may be headed to Xavier.

That’d be a hell of a pickup for Miller.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2023, 08:57:46 PM »

Hard pass.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2023, 09:00:00 PM »
Supposedly Shaka knew who was leaving when he accepted a 14th commitment. If that was the case, I'm not sure why you'd delay.  It's unfair to that person not to have him in the portal as soon as possible, as every day he waits, spots are filling up at potential destination programs.

I suspect there are other issues at play, and the one designated for transfer is waiting to see what shakes out. He may have planned to leave but has been asked to hold off as there may be a scholarship for him after all.

The other issue at play is a potential medical hardship waiver for Wrightsil to get another year of eligiblity. He meets the criteria--only played in 3 games, well under the 30% limit, and all were before the 50% of the season. He may well decide that he's done with college ball, but he stuck with MU all season and seemed highly engaged with the team. If he wants to play next year, it's either going to be at MU or he has to put his name in the portal.
Unless the player leaving isn’t planning on going to another college.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2023, 09:35:43 PM »
Supposedly Shaka knew who was leaving when he accepted a 14th commitment.

I don't think this theory has ever been proven.  With so many players transferring or turning pro these days, oversigning just seems prudent.  Prepare for the unknown; be proactive instead of reactive.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2023, 10:13:59 PM »

If only there was a forward on our team who was on the back end of NBA draft boards all season.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2023, 10:33:27 PM »
Unless the player leaving isn’t planning on going to another college.
You've been hinting at an Omax departure for some time?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2023, 10:35:06 PM »
I have no information on who is leaving.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2023, 08:03:07 AM »

Sure.. it’s the most likely outcome.

He is on a student visa NIL is difficult to figure out. We’re over recruited by one. He was the only player on our roster that was considered “draftable” both before the season and today.

If he stays great, but it’s naive to think a specific scenario other than this is the most likely outcome.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2023, 08:16:50 AM »
IMO, I really hope Omax returns for next season. I think he is a very difficult guy to replace, due to skillset on both sides of the court, size and age. If he returns, I would expect bigger upside improvement next year over what we saw this year. That is based off my thoughts is he is multi skilled guy and would expect if he watched enough film of himself he would fine tune the weak spots in his game.

Again, I think if MU is going to take another step forward he was one the guys I think needs to return. If not, a high energy, one year portal guy would be needed. No Omax and just the guys currently on the roster does not look as dangerous to me.

DrJay24

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2023, 08:27:22 AM »
IMO, I really hope Omax returns for next season. I think he is a very difficult guy to replace, due to skillset on both sides of the court, size and age. If he returns, I would expect bigger upside improvement next year over what we saw this year. That is based off my thoughts is he is multi skilled guy and would expect if he watched enough film of himself he would fine tune the weak spots in his game.

Again, I think if MU is going to take another step forward he was one the guys I think needs to return. If not, a high energy, one year portal guy would be needed. No Omax and just the guys currently on the roster does not look as dangerous to me.

Omax's size and energy level especially on defense are pretty much unparalleled.  Also on the offensive glass at times.  Would be a big loss if he left and as Goose says he's a guy that could take a big step if he could clean up a couple things in his game and work on some of the balance issues he's dealt with at times.  Hope he hangs around for sure.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2023, 08:28:56 AM »
His versatility on the defensive end would be very hard to replace in this current system. Chase and Jop would help mitigate the offensive impact assuming they progress.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2023, 08:38:13 AM »

Yep, you need that long athletic wing to play D, make threes and get to the hoop and finish.  Joplin is a below the rim player that cannot do what Omax does.  Tip in rebounds, finishing with either hand at the rim, defending the best player on the other team with his length and athleticism and shooting threes (will need to get better at this but does this sufficiently wel now).  This would be a big hole in the starting lineup for next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2023, 08:38:59 AM »
OMax may leave, but I hope he realizes he isn't playing in the NBA if he does.  Good player, good size.  May eventually play a little in the NBA, but he certainly wont next season. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2023, 08:45:30 AM »
If Oso or OMax were to not return Shaka would hit the transfer portal.

In the backcourt, if TyKo or Kam were to not return I could see Shaka making a push in the portal.

Otherwise, any involvement is likely just a contingency plan or depth big.

For next seasons squad the most irreplaceable player as the roster currently stands is Osasere.
That says a lot about the combination of his value and lack of depth/experience behind him, especially when he’s got the BEPoY on his team.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2023, 10:05:28 AM »
Eli King, Iowa State, former MU offer. 

Rafael Pinzone, St. John’s

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »
I hope OMax returns. He was a player who was clearly getting better when it mattered most. I think he could be excellent next year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2023, 10:11:48 AM »
I hope OMax returns. He was a player who was clearly getting better when it mattered most. I think he could be excellent next year.

If Omax's body could keep up with his brain, he'd be drafted this year.

Kid is a baller for sure, but needs to work most on his body control.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2023, 10:34:17 AM »
Per The Athletic's NBA Draft Board, Oso is #60, OMax is #62.
At ESPN, Kolek is #60, OMax is #72, Oso is unranked.
None are in Bleacher Report's top 50 or CBS Sports' top 55.

One never knows, and I hope all three at least get evaluated, but there's little to indicate right now that any of them should count on being drafted this year.
Among the three, I suspect Oso would be the mostly likely to have a shot, especially if he could prove in workouts he has more range than we've seen.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2023, 10:38:21 AM »
Sorry guys, but I don't start many threads.  Muggs probably starts more in one week, than I have ever over the years.

Started this for players who entered portals and subsequent commitments.  Then, a takeover for NBA possibilities took over.

If you recall, there is a thread for MU Players to the Association, please go at it there.  Thanks in advance.

feedback