'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 165966 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #525 on: April 03, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »
[/color]

If I were Shaka I would offer the best offensive rebounder in the portal.

Agree. Like that 7'5" transfer.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2023, 09:44:22 AM »
Quote from: 1318WWells link=topic=64559.msg1543298#msg1543298 date=
I meant roughly what the the scholarship is worth short term. What the student-athlete would have to pay if they weren’t an athlete, just a student.

It can be worth much more down the road depending on major, work put in, doors opened through networking, etc.

I think that’s gotten lost in all of this. Too many people don’t value it.
Hopefully MU82 is right and NIL keeps kids in school longer and they earn their degrees. Hope they’re not just collecting the bag of cash and moving on.

I hope NIL doesn’t turn NCAA basketball into the G league in disguise. Imagine if Marquette had to pay up for Todd Mayo to stay. Professional basketball should be the way to get rid of those types of players from your program, not making your program into professional basketball so they can stay. Hope we don’t end up stuck in those murky waters. There’s already enough bad contracts in the NBA which makes that product difficult to watch and way overpriced to attend.

Left unsaid is the player that never gets a chance because some upperclassman decides to stay in college instead of going pro because the paycheck is now fatter if he sticks around. 

It's a zero-sum situation.  Every player that stays in school to collect NIL uses a scarce scholarship, which means for every player that stays to collect NIL means another player won't be able to get an offer.

I think it's naive to think that NIL is going to encourage players to stay in school to finish their degrees. The more likely a player is to earn a fat NIL package, the less the likelihood he is there for the educational opportunity. Ask yourself whether you truly believe that Nigel Pack is at Miami primarily because of the value of the degree he's going to earn.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #527 on: April 03, 2023, 09:45:12 AM »
Quote from: muwarrior69 link=topic=64559.msg1543330#msg1543330 date=
[/color]

If I were Shaka I would offer the best offensive rebounder in the portal.

Who would you bench to play that offensive rebounder?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #528 on: April 03, 2023, 09:54:47 AM »

Why would you have to bench anyone? We have one open spot why not fill it with a player to mitigate this teams obvious weakness.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #529 on: April 03, 2023, 10:24:38 AM »
Why would you have to bench anyone? We have one open spot why not fill it with a player to mitigate this teams obvious weakness.

Well, if that offensive rebounder is going to mitigate the weakness, he has to be on the floor. And if he is on the floor, someone else has to be on the bench.

We have one open scholarship; we don't have one open space on the floor. The NCAA is not going to let Marquette run six guys next year.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #530 on: April 03, 2023, 10:26:09 AM »
Well, if that offensive rebounder is going to mitigate the weakness, he has to be on the floor. And if he is on the floor, someone else has to be on the bench.

We have one open scholarship; we don't have one open space on the floor. The NCAA is not going to let Marquette run six guys next year.

So you would not rather fill that open schollie.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #531 on: April 03, 2023, 10:34:04 AM »
So you would not rather fill that open schollie.

I never said that. It depends on who they fill it with. In fact, I might even support filling it with an outstanding offensive rebounder -- but if nobody else on the current roster leaves that offensive rebounder better bring a lot to the table to justify his minutes.

I was really just commenting on your "why would you have to bench anyone" comment. It's a zero sum situation. If a transfer gets minutes, he's going to be taking minutes from someone. So, back to the original question:

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #532 on: April 03, 2023, 10:35:12 AM »
It's great for the game. More talent is staying in college rather than leaving early to go pro. Not sure how it would make it less likely for someone to get an education

There's less talent now but more parity with many of the top players going straight to the G-League which I think is good for the game in many ways too.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #533 on: April 03, 2023, 10:37:58 AM »
Injuries could open up some minutes next year as well.

Hopefully we can stay as healthy next year as we did this year but that seems unlikely. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #534 on: April 03, 2023, 10:52:40 AM »
I think it's naive to think that NIL is going to encourage players to stay in school to finish their degrees. The more likely a player is to earn a fat NIL package, the less the likelihood he is there for the educational opportunity. Ask yourself whether you truly believe that Nigel Pack is at Miami primarily because of the value of the degree he's going to earn.

I'm still trying to understand this argument that making money somehow makes it less likely that someone can get an education. People keep saying it and I keep asking them to explain but no one responds. Does more money somehow make a player less likely to attend class or learn?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #535 on: April 03, 2023, 10:56:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/john_fanta/status/1642275325492051968?s=61&t=HBoTnhHk1fDxhSikf7nbXw

Shaka makes light of the portal in this interview; every Big East Team will add a player except us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #536 on: April 03, 2023, 11:00:30 AM »
https://twitter.com/john_fanta/status/1642275325492051968?s=61&t=HBoTnhHk1fDxhSikf7nbXw

Shaka makes light of the portal in this interview; every Big East Team will add a player except us.

Interesting.  Wonder if all 3 of the guys who entered the portal knew they'd have a scholarship available but saw the lack of minutes and decided to look elsewhere then.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #537 on: April 03, 2023, 11:10:07 AM »

Uh oh!  "The perfect home is where you are..."

Also, Shaka would have "traded any awards for the opportunity to be [still playing]".  But don't tell scoopers that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 11:14:59 AM by rocky_warrior »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #538 on: April 03, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »

Shaka makes light of the portal in this interview; every Big East Team will add a player "maybe except us..."

Fixed to reflect the actual quote. That "maybe" could prove significant.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #539 on: April 03, 2023, 11:16:54 AM »
He gowne
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2023, 11:18:52 AM »

Also, Shaka would have "traded any awards for the opportunity to be [still playing]".  But don't tell scoopers that.

He was referring to his individual awards, not the conference and conference tourney titles, IMO. 

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #541 on: April 03, 2023, 11:19:25 AM »

The only game left is the championship game... so yea... of course.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #542 on: April 03, 2023, 11:21:00 AM »

Why is anyone surprised that MU is quiet on the transfers? Outside Aly Khalifa as an emergency Oso replacement, no one really makes sense for this team. (evanmiya has Khalifa as the 9th best player in the portal, 6th best center.) The entire top  of the portal is Point Guard and Center heavy.

The staff doesn't want wing transfers who will be worse than Joplin or Gold next year. That's bad for team chemistry.

Their are two Wing/forwards worth it in my opinion. Chris Ledlum and Darrion Williams. Both have a zero percent chance of coming to Marquette unless OMax leaves for the draft today.

There is no one in the transfer portal who could slightly attempt to replace Omax better than our bench already.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #543 on: April 03, 2023, 11:27:39 AM »
The only game left is the championship game... so yea... of course.

Well, the interview was before the FF.   Also (and for VBMG) I'm mostly just poking the bear(s) that say they wouldn't trade the regular season for more NCAA wins.  I've said it before, fairly or not, big time coaches get their final grade 90% off of their tournament performance.  Shaka knows he got an A+ for the regular season, but only a B/C for his final grade.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #544 on: April 03, 2023, 11:30:38 AM »
Well, the interview was before the FF.   Also (and for VBMG) I'm mostly just poking the bear(s) that say they wouldn't trade the regular season for more NCAA wins.  I've said it before, fairly or not, big time coaches get their final grade 90% off of their tournament performance.  Shaka knows he got an A+ for the regular season, but only a B/C for his final grade.

Nah.  Shaka got an A+ for his season.  Had he lost to Vermont, it was an A-.  Next year if he has the same season and loses 2nd round as a 2 seed again, then it's a B.  S16 loss would be A-.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #545 on: April 03, 2023, 11:37:27 AM »

I think any of us would trade the conference championships for the Final Four.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #546 on: April 03, 2023, 11:50:19 AM »

I place more value than most on the NCAA tournament - but not 90%. Giving the consensus college basketball COY a B/C for a final grade is harsh. An A++ to an A is fair - nothing lower.

MU_Beav

• Starter
« Reply #547 on: April 03, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #549 on: April 03, 2023, 12:32:49 PM »