[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Portal Transfers  (Read 166243 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2023 Portal Transfers
« Reply #1375 on: June 17, 2023, 06:22:43 AM »
Pitino is in the habit of pulling his dingle out as the need calls for. Heard there is a plaque mounted at Porcini's that says "The legendary coach slick Rick dangled his dingle here".

Too bad it wasn’t Mazos Burgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: June 17, 2023, 08:17:31 AM »
Shaka has a plan, he always does. He had Morsell locked in and he announced late after the draft if I recall.

Things also rarely leak with Shaka.

Shabbat shalom

The difference there is the connection with Morsell was known well in advance of his actual commitment so it didn’t come out of nowhere.

Obviously Shaka has kept transfers very quiet preciously so an addition would not be shocking but it definitely seems like he’s rolling with the current roster.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1377 on: June 17, 2023, 08:44:03 AM »
Me neither but Shaka is stubborn with his portal usage/strategy so itll probably be pretty similar to this every year.

To me, stubborn is a strange way to describe Shaka's portal strategy. It seems to imply that he is, in your opinion, wrong. After last season's surprising success and with his COY status, I'm comfortable with his short and long term strategies regarding the roster.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 08:46:14 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: June 17, 2023, 03:03:41 PM »
Quote from: Scoop Snoop link=topic=64559.msg1556807#msg1556807 date=
To me, stubborn is a strange way to describe Shaka's portal strategy. It seems to imply that he is, in your opinion, wrong. After last season's surprising success and with his COY status, I'm comfortable with his short and long term strategies regarding the roster.

MU's success over the past two seasons has been powered by a number of high-impact transfers (Morsell, Kur, Kolek, OMax).   

As has UConn (Cole, Martin, Newton, Calcaterra, Alleyne, Diarra)
As has Xavier (Boum, Nunge,Johnson, Kunkel, Hunter)
As has Creighton (Hawkins, O'Connell, Schierman, Farabello)
As has Providence (Durham, Horchler, Minaya, Hopkins, Croswell, Carter, Locke, Bynum, Moore)

This year, Villanova, St. Johns, Butler, and Georgetown have dipped heavily into the transfer market.

Maybe avoiding impact transfers is the right approach--but one has to admit it's a different strategy than what got MU to the top of the Big East, and it's also one that few other teams in the BE seem to be pursuing right now.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: June 17, 2023, 04:48:02 PM »
MU's success over the past two seasons has been powered by a number of high-impact transfers (Morsell, Kur, Kolek, OMax).   

As has Providence (Durham, Horchler, Minaya, Hopkins, Croswell, Carter, Locke, Bynum, Moore)

This year, Villanova, St. Johns, Butler, and Georgetown have dipped heavily into the transfer market.

Maybe avoiding impact transfers is the right approach--but one has to admit it's a different strategy than what got MU to the top of the Big East, and it's also one that few other teams in the BE seem to be pursuing right now.

Fair, but the "here and now" is that Shaka has decided to take a different strategy this coming season than the rest of the BE coaches-going ahead with the players he has. In his first season, he really did not (realistically) have a lot of choice.

My point was- and still is- that calling this "stubborn" implies that he is making a mistake. Possible? Sure! But considering what he has done with Marquette so far? No! It simply does not strike me as stubbornness. Instead, I see a coach who is "all in" on the synergy created by challenging his returning players to collectively improve the team. To be clear, in no way am I brushing off the loss of Omax. Shaka is gambling by passing on the portal. We will find out this coming season if he was right. I'm betting that he is.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 04:58:44 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: June 17, 2023, 05:25:17 PM »
He duzant wanna take a chance on disruptin' team chemistry. It ain't worth it, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: June 17, 2023, 05:41:40 PM »
Maybe Al Amadeau will give MU fans more then we expected?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1382 on: June 17, 2023, 06:26:43 PM »
He duzant wanna take a chance on disruptin' team chemistry. It ain't worth it, aina?

Yep.

Yep again. I think the possibility of Al or another freshman making the HS to college transition quickly and being a very nice surprise has not been discussed much here. "Possible" is the operative word but we have three frosh coming in, so the odds increase a bit that at least one will prove to be "more than expected" his first season.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: June 17, 2023, 07:09:15 PM »

Per scoop law, no freshman can be expected to contribute.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1384 on: June 17, 2023, 07:16:39 PM »
They contribute.   If you build your hopes around them being day 1 starters or the equivalent, you are dumb.

I think Amadou will get minutes similar to what Ben got last season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: June 17, 2023, 07:41:57 PM »

“Avoiding impact transfers”.

That’s seriously how you’d describe it based on the players that are returning?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: June 17, 2023, 08:01:02 PM »
They contribute.   If you build your hopes around them being day 1 starters or the equivalent, you are dumb.

I think Amadou will get minutes similar to what Ben got last season.
It all depends on how much strength he puts on. The last I remember seeing he weighed less than 200lbs.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1387 on: June 17, 2023, 08:14:51 PM »
7.9 mpg is the bar.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: June 19, 2023, 12:45:51 AM »

I think Big Al will absolutely provide meaningful impact right away. If you could tell me that Al, Joplin, Ben, Oso will all stay fully healthy all year I'd not even bother mentioning the front court.

Health is never perfect on a team though and having extra bodies up front is highly important.
VIOLENCE!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: June 19, 2023, 09:28:50 AM »
Anyone from West Virginia that would be useful?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: June 20, 2023, 04:24:02 AM »
Shaka pretty much said he does not want to get into a bidding war when it comes to transfers. As long as his recruits pan out we will be fine, but if more than two of his starters or off the bench players decide to go pro or transfer he just might have to look at transfers just to be competitive.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: June 20, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »
Anyone from West Virginia that would be useful?

Sure, but they are still gonna make the most NIL money at WVU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1392 on: June 21, 2023, 07:50:32 AM »
Quote from: muwarrior69 link=topic=64559.msg1557180#msg1557180 date=
Shaka pretty much said he does not want to get into a bidding war when it comes to transfers. As long as his recruits pan out we will be fine, but if more than two of his starters or off the bench players decide to go pro or transfer he just might have to look at transfers just to be competitive.

The 2024 season will be an interesting test.

At the end of 2023, MU was odds on favorite to repeat as league champ.  Since then, its become a four-team jam at the top, with UConn, Villanova, and Creighton all making moves to improve.  T-Rank has all three ahead of us, and most of the various "too early" polls have moved us down in their rankings.  Its not unfair to ask whether we squandered a rare opportunity to dominate.

Compare MU's situation to a contending baseball team ahead of the trade deadline.  They almost always bring someone on board to strengthen the roster for the stretch run. 

MU this year is in a position to make a championship run, and has chosen to leave two scholarships unused. If we fall short, the wisdom of those two unused scholarships will be questioned for years to come.   

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: June 21, 2023, 08:11:53 AM »

At the end of 2023, MU was odds on favorite to repeat as league champ.  Since then, its become a four-team jam at the top, with UConn, Villanova, and Creighton all making moves to improve.  T-Rank has all three ahead of us, and most of the various "too early" polls have moved us down in their rankings.  Its not unfair to ask whether we squandered a rare opportunity to dominate.

Compare MU's situation to a contending baseball team ahead of the trade deadline.  They almost always bring someone on board to strengthen the roster for the stretch run. 

MU this year is in a position to make a championship run, and has chosen to leave two scholarships unused. If we fall short, the wisdom of those two unused scholarships will be questioned for years to come.   

Thank you, we now have our 2023-2024 Scoop tagline “Domination Squandered”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: June 21, 2023, 08:40:55 AM »

"We" means Shaka.

Looking solely at Marquette's chances this season, your last sentence makes perfect sense. I do not think that's the way Shaka views it. My guess is that he sees his roster strategy-relying primarily on HS recruits (stated in his recent interview) and developing current players- as the best path towards an eventual natty. He needed the portal for his first season as Marquette's coach but has chosen to pass on transfers for the upcoming season. I am comfortable with the wisdom of Shaka's long-term approach, even though it may keep us from a run in the tourney this season. Am I happy about that? Hell no! But I get it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 08:42:30 AM by Scoop Snoop »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: June 21, 2023, 09:18:59 AM »

At the end of the season UCONN just won the national title and finished at the top of KenPom and the only players they were certain to lose were Hawkins and Calcaterra.  They were bringing in the #4 recruiting class in the country.  Creighton had just gone to the Elite Eight and finished two spots behind MU in KenPom and every meaningful player on their roster was eligible to return.

MU would've been one of three favorites to win the League title if everyone that was, at the time, considered a borderline NBA pick had returned and no transfers out or in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1396 on: June 21, 2023, 09:40:17 AM »
At the end of the season UCONN just won the national title and finished at the top of KenPom and the only players they were certain to lose were Hawkins and Calcaterra.  They were bringing in the #4 recruiting class in the country.  Creighton had just gone to the Elite Eight and finished two spots behind MU in KenPom and every meaningful player on their roster was eligible to return.

MU would've been one of three favorites to win the League title if everyone that was, at the time, considered a borderline NBA pick had returned and no transfers out or in.

Sounds like the perfect time to bring back the COLE.  👀

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #1397 on: June 21, 2023, 10:25:59 AM »

At the end of 2023, UConn still had a national championship winning roster. If you had Marquette as next years big east  "favorites" still. That is likely a you problem. The opportunity to "dominate" did not exist outside of your own head.

Also the 12 and 13th man on a college basketball roster are not closers in baseball.

Closers in baseball actually play in the games.

If you want to be mad at the lack of injury cover that is fair. But the opportunity to elevate the team beyond the current roster really did not exist, or was at best marginal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 12:43:22 PM by jfp61 »

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #1398 on: June 21, 2023, 11:56:11 AM »
One can argue that Shaka could have used the transfer portal to add a frontline backup in case of injury or to help with foul trouble. That's a fair perspective. But Shaka has made it perfectly clear that team chemistry and continued development of players who have shown loyalty to him are his top priorities. I have no problem at all with that. He is looking for specific types of players - both in terms of skillset and personality. It is safer to mold a hs recruit into what you need. No, Shaka's approach may not make MU a consistent "dominant" team, but he will always deliver a very competitive team. I'm ok with that too. And, I don't think any team is going to dominate the BE this year. Too many good teams.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: June 21, 2023, 10:37:18 PM »
One thing is clear- Shaka plays by one set of rules, Shakas.

For example, when TyKo, Kam, and Oso leave after this season, and after dominating the BE yet again and making a great run in the NCAAT to the final 4, Shaka has the guys in their place.

Trust the guy until you can’t, that’s the motto. Or just trust him until he wins, and then trust him forever