[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Bud Grant  (Read 570 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
RIP Bud Grant
« on: March 11, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »
RIP Bud Grant

The last of the early Super Bowl era coaches passed away at the age of 95.  Never won the big one but still one of the coaching legends of the game.

Never left Minnesota after going to college there except for his stint as a head coach in the CFL. Played in the NFL and NBA
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: RIP Bud Grant
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 12:54:25 PM »
RIP Bud Grant

The last of the early Super Bowl era coaches passed away at the age of 95.  Never won the big one but still one of the coaching legends of the game.

Never left Minnesota after going to college there except for his stint as a head coach in the CFL. Played in the NFL and NBA
Was a great Head Coach that built the Vikings franchise
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 01:12:08 PM »
Was a great Head Coach that built the Vikings franchise

Thanks!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 01:20:17 PM »
Thankfully, the Vikings have mostly sucked since he retired. 

He was a great coach.  If he hadn’t been Vikings coach, I would feel bad his legacy is 0-4 in the Super Bowl.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 01:37:38 PM »
Good Superior kid.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 02:26:48 PM »
My deceased Mom never ever stopped talking of Bud Grant (I think she had a lifelong crush on him).
 She met him while they were at U of Minn, where she was quick to remind...he earned 9 varsity letters. BMOC, I guess.

Bud won an NBA championship as a player with the 1950 Lakers, he coached 4 Grey Cup CFL championships in Winnepeg...

...and although Vikes were consistently awesome in reg season, playoff and SB success eluded them, always.

Tough and disciplined, the Bud Grant Vikes even practiced standing at attention for the Natl anthem, and despite the bitter cold of the old Met stadium, his teams were never allowed any sideline warmers. Jim Marshall, Alan Page and Carl Eller, etc., ...the "Purple People Eaters" are one of the best defensive lines ever.

If Bud could win with Joe Kapp at QB, well, he was a heckuva coach. RIP

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 02:34:41 PM by HouWarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 08:05:34 AM »
My Uncle was a classmate of Bud Grant's at Superior Central High School and my Dad knew him from being active in Douglas County, WI, where Bud had a cabin in the woods (near Gordon). In fact, my uncle apparently played poker with Bud in the days.

When my brother met him at a gas station in Gordon, all he could say was what a wonderful guy Bud was and how he was so open. It's a sad day in the Northwoods for the area lost one of their own who did extraordinarily well.