[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

Shaka interview by Zog from Margo
[Today at 02:08:01 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NIL, transfers, and 2024-25.  (Read 11210 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: NIL, transfers, and 2024-25.
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2023, 11:27:48 AM »
As far as this team goes, I think MU/Shaka would do whatever it takes to keep Kolek and (to a slightly lesser extent) Oso. They won’t be outbid for those guys.

If other players wanted to get into a bidding war, I think Shaka would say, “We will be moving in a different direction, but good luck.” Long list of players who want to be in this program.

That said though, I trust MU will put the players in a good position to benefit from NIL opportunities (even after seeing Kolek’s shoddy looking website).

Kam is the only poach candidate. Omax would have to sit a year and if any other player transferred, I would chalk that up to them wanting a larger role (including Joplin), not NIL. Kam has been extremely pro MU his whole time here and even before he got here as well. He even called Wojo the GOAT! He tweeted that he loves MU a few days ago. I just think at this point it’s way too big of a stretch to think he’d be the type of guy to get into a bidding war and leave for the highest offer.

That’s why I’d put the prediction for NIL transfers at 0 this year.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2023, 11:30:09 AM »
Not being a willing millionaire, it is indeed hard for me to fathom willing millionaires who drop tens of thousands into a sports program, but I know it happens, I guess.

Here's a thought experiment:  Imagine having the NIL discussion during the latter half of the Wojo years.   Tough sell to have a booster drop 5-6-7 figures so a team can maybe reach the middle of the pack.
[/quote

Stay in politics long 'nough, yule get der, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

panda

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2023, 11:33:19 AM »
Need to change their mission then

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/6/28/mission-and-priorities.aspx

Where’s the part about making the most money possible ?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
Not being a willing millionaire, it is indeed hard for me to fathom willing millionaires who drop tens of thousands into a sports program, but I know it happens, I guess.

Here's a thought experiment:  Imagine having the NIL discussion during the latter half of the Wojo years.   Tough sell to have a booster drop 5-6-7 figures so a team can maybe reach the middle of the pack.
[/quote

Stay in politics long 'nough, yule get der, hey?

There isnt anyone on this team that is going to make 'millions' in the NBA starting next year.

For those that think Kolek is an NBA guy...I'd be surprised.  Kolek is one of the best team oriented players in the country but the NBA is a 24 second shot clock designed to be 1 on 1.  It's not supposed to be team oriented.  Kolek doesn't have a game built for the NBA, he has a game designed perfectly for College Hoops and I think he recognizes that. Exactly why he said he wants to play College Hoops as long as he possibly can.
VIOLENCE!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2023, 11:52:23 AM »
If someone leaves this current group (which I doubt) then that would open up a spot for someone else.

Shaka has already gotten Kolek, Morsell, Kuath, Wrightsil, OMax to transfer in.  Don't think there isnt some 20 ppg scorer out there going "man I wish I could play in Marquette's offense with Shaka."

If one door closes, another would open.  Marquette will be fine.

We're 1 over the scholarship limit for next year as it stands.  And that's assuming Wrightsil will be gone, which in theory he could probably come back.  So I doubt we're bringing anyone else in even if someone good gets poached.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2023, 12:08:59 PM »
We're 1 over the scholarship limit for next year as it stands.  And that's assuming Wrightsil will be gone, which in theory he could probably come back.  So I doubt we're bringing anyone else in even if someone good gets poached.

Would still open the door for someone else like Ross, Ellis, Norman, Lowery...

That being said, I think all of our starters will be back next year, but I'll worry about that at a later date.
VIOLENCE!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2023, 12:48:04 PM »
So then, what is the value of the NCAA?

Giving the universities plausible deniability?

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »
Free agency rarely works in Major League Baseball or Professional Football. If it did, the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox would have a four-team, seven game each elimination tournament.

My beloved St. Louis Cardinals cornered the market on Brinks trucks to bring in Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt. My God, the Cubs have a pennant since the last time the Cardinals won it all! It just didn't work.

Why do you think it will work in College Basketball?

What Shaka has shown is what most of us who follow college basketball know -- its the system that works. The system means having an excellent coach, clear understanding of roles and players who make their own individual desires subservient to the greater good of the team. Talent helps but if talent were the only reason teams succeeded, North Carolina and Kentucky would not be vastly underperforming this year.

At day's end, NIL may bring someone in who can fit and will get a team "over the top." But it is far more important that we build from within, groom players who will be good ballplayers, good students and ultimately good alumni -- oh and can win a Natty for us! In that vein, I'd be surprised if anyone left. Certainly not Oso, whose success can be traced to Coach Shaka's arrival and efforts.

The major difference here is that NIL's are basically 1 year deals whereas what you are comparing it to requires multi year fully guaranteed 5+ type year contracts.  If a college doesn't think the money they paid for 1 year of Player X is working out, they can encourage him to leave and move that money to new Player Y. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2023, 01:03:38 PM »
So then, what is the value of the NCAA?

Arbiter of punishment for arbitrarily enforced rules.

Cashin checks

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2023, 01:37:38 PM »
Quote from: dgies9156 link=topic=64411.msg1526650#msg1526650 date=
Free agency rarely works in Major League Baseball or Professional Football. If it did, the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox would have a four-team, seven game each elimination tournament.

My beloved St. Louis Cardinals cornered the market on Brinks trucks to bring in Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt. My God, the Cubs have a pennant since the last time the Cardinals won it all! It just didn't work.

Why do you think it will work in College Basketball?

Marquette is mostly built on free agency. 

When Shaka arrived, he quickly signed eleven free agents.  Oso, Kam, Greg, and Stevie became free agents when Wojo left, and Shaka was successful in resigning them.  Morsell, Kurath, Kolek, OMP, Ellis, Iterjere and Joplin were all free agents after being released by other teams. 

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2023, 01:40:05 PM »
While it is nice to think that money alone will not lure any of our players away to other schools, keep in mind that Miami paid Nigel Pack a boat load of money to transfer from Kansas State. He would have been playing on a better team had he stayed at K State.

MU has a number of players who can help other teams. Guys like Tyler and Kam can help nearly any team, but so can players like Joplin, Chase Young, and Stevie Mitchell. Unfortunately, I have to agree that the team is potentially vulnerable to NIL-related transfers.

I agree that players are certainly entitled to some compensation, but the NCAA is creating a terrible problem by basically having no structure around NIL money and the transfer portal.

It will be interesting to see if Shaka has created a culture that can hold them all in place.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2023, 01:44:23 PM »
While it is nice to think that money alone will not lure any of our players away to other schools, keep in mind that Miami paid Nigel Pack a boat load of money to transfer from Kansas State. He would have been playing on a better team had he stayed at K State.

MU has a number of players who can help other teams. Guys like Tyler and Kam can help nearly any team, but so can players like Joplin, Chase Young, and Stevie Mitchell. Unfortunately, I have to agree that the team is potentially vulnerable to NIL-related transfers.

I agree that players are certainly entitled to some compensation, but the NCAA is creating a terrible problem by basically having no structure around NIL money and the transfer portal.

It will be interesting to see if Shaka has created a culture that can hold them all in place.

I wondered why our defense had improved so much. Nice to have a former NFL defensive rookie of the year on the team
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2023, 02:20:31 PM »
Dunno about all that, but I set up annual btd contributions today, for as much fun as I've had watching them this year down in TX its the least I could do.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2023, 02:29:08 PM »
I think the idea that Marquette is especially vulnerable to NIL poaching is pure COLE. If anything, I think we’re one of the more protected P6 teams.

Shaka built a team based on brotherhood and long-term development. It’s clear that most if not all of the locker room has bought into that vision. Between that and an NIL system designed to prioritize player retention, I think MU is well-positioned to be a turnover success story into next season.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2023, 02:32:35 PM »
I'm so sad that the season is over and we have to worry about this instead of enjoying the magical ride that this season was....oh wait.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2023, 02:44:28 PM »
I'm so sad that the season is over and we have to worry about this instead of enjoying the magical ride that this season was....oh wait.

The thread is a little hypocritical as well in that a lot of posters who like to freely speculate on this topic now would scold another poster for starting a thread today about how Marquette might clear their over the limit scholarship situation for next season by cutting one of the little used players.

panda

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2023, 02:47:30 PM »
I think the idea that Marquette is especially vulnerable to NIL poaching is pure COLE. If anything, I think we’re one of the more protected P6 teams.

Shaka built a team based on brotherhood and long-term development. It’s clear that most if not all of the locker room has bought into that vision. Between that and an NIL system designed to prioritize player retention, I think MU is well-positioned to be a turnover success story into next season.
Two words…I agree

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2023, 02:51:08 PM »
The thread is a little hypocritical as well in that a lot of posters who like to freely speculate on this topic now would scold another poster for starting a thread today about how Marquette might clear their over the limit scholarship situation for next season by cutting one of the little used players.
This thread has jumped the shark.

After this season, the list of players wanting to come to Marquette will be 50x more than want to leave.

I know we will be good next year because Shaka will be here.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2023, 03:14:26 PM »

I think you are spot on, Two Words.

Even the guys you might reasonably expect to leave, like Ellis or Itijere, have very close bonds with Shaka. I think they would only go if Shaka recommended it and found them a place where they could find likely success.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2023, 03:21:44 PM »

Between Crean becoming coach in '99 and Shaka in '21 how many times have we had a full compliment of Scholarship players not counting walk-ons. I probably could count those one hand. History would suggest lack of player retention was pretty much endemic culminating with the Hausers. My feeling about NIL are still not optimistic about how it will affect the MU basketball program, not the players; but willing to see how all this plays out over the next few seasons.

If relationships and connectivity are real the program will survive as MU's money brokers will come through if they want a competitive team like we have now. However, will the same connectivity/chemistry translate to future recruits. We are all in uncharted waters as there are no rules.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2023, 03:35:55 PM »
The problem here is that most P5 schools have similar collectives, so the question comes down to whether MU's can ever be equally funded as compared to state schools with 4x the attendance and alumni base.  This is exacerbated by the fact that MU is a private school as compared to Tennessee or Kentucky or Wisconsin. 

P5 are bigger, but bigger also comes with more mouths to feed.  We have 7 to 10 players that need to be made whole every year.  They have 70 to 80...and 70%-80% of the number play football and are in line ahead of the basketball team.  I live in Columbus and my neighbor played on the Oden/Conley final four team, he is on the board of a OSU hoop collective...they are STRUGGLING for donors because football stirs the drink.  CJ Stroud likely made more than 2.5 million this year.   Quinn Ewers reportedly made about a million to sit on the bench and transfer to Texas.  This is why our collective can make a dent against the big boys.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2023, 03:36:56 PM »
The problem here is that most P5 schools have similar collectives, so the question comes down to whether MU's can ever be equally funded as compared to state schools with 4x the attendance and alumni base.  This is exacerbated by the fact that MU is a private school as compared to Tennessee or Kentucky or Wisconsin. 

When comparing MU to all the big state schools and the sizes of their NILs, remember that we are at an enormous advantage in that we do not have to fund football player retention.  We have 5-10 players to worry about each year, not 50-75. 

Edit:  eyeballs, you beat me to it. 
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2023, 03:43:01 PM »
When comparing MU to all the big state schools and the sizes of their NILs, remember that we are at an enormous advantage in that we do not have to fund football player retention.  We have 5-10 players to worry about each year, not 50-75. 

Edit:  eyeballs, you beat me to it.

All the "eyeballs" at LSU are on this athlete. NIL...ca caching, caching.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/5853521/olivia-dunne-gynmast-tiktok-instagram-lsu-athletics/