[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

And The New...... by Tyler COLEk
[June 08, 2024, 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 08, 2024, 11:31:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DDM Offense  (Read 2120 times)

wadesworld

• All American
DDM Offense
« on: February 18, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »
I think Marquette could learn from the offense that Memphis runs.  I think part of the problem with our offense when it isn't running smoothly is that we try to run that weave up top running off picks and it gets us nowhere because we're going east to west instead of north to south and it gets too bunched up with 3 offenders and 3 defenders right around there and then time runs down on the shot clock and we have to settle for contested 3 pointers.  Memphis runs either 1 screen to free up the point guard right away or none at all, and spreads the floor letting the player with the ball attack it's defender one on one.  They then can dish to the post player who goes to the opposite side (Ousman does this well) or kick it back out for the 3 pointer if either defender helps, otherwise they take the layup.  I think Dominic (especially), Wesley, and Jerel are all good enough to be able to take on their defender one on one without needing picks and Baby Mo is good enough too but too small to finish in the lane.  Cubes could but he's better on the perimeter.  I know some people will say we don't shoot the 3 well so teams don't pressure us up top and sag so we couldn't penetrate, but Memphis shoots under 38% 3 pointers on the year, so it's not like they're lights out from 3 and it works for them.  Also, I think if we got OPEN 3 point looks we'd be a much better 3 point shooting team.  I think we let the shot clock run down too much and then take too tough of 3 pointers.  I don't think we'd be a great or even good 3 point shooting team, but we could be a decent 3 point shooting team if we got them more open then we typically do.  I would love to see us use less on-the-ball screens and to open the floor up more.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nukem2

• All American
Re: DDM Offense
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »
Actually, I think MU has been doing some of this in the last 3 games with DJ driving more.  His assists are way up.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
I was going to post something similar as well.  One of my friends sent me the following article, which is a fascinating view of the DDM.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/grant_wahl/02/12/memphis0218/index.html

Like Nukem, my friend thinks that MU is also incorporating more of these principles. 

Follow-up question for Crisco... you're familiar with the MU Attack Offense and I believe you know some of the DDM principles.  Have you seen anything in watching the last few games that would suggest adding some of these ideas?

Bonus - St. Benedicts uses the DDM offense, and the article has a picture of Tyshawn Taylor.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
By the way, Taylor's St. Anthony's team will be on ESPN at 8:00 CST this Thursday (2/22).

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
"Not least, it requires complete commitment from coaches, who have to give up the control that comes with offensive play-calling and conventional half-court defenses."

- Sounds like it is right up Crean's alley. He is not a complete control freak who barks out more plays per second than any other coach I have ever seen. [sarcasm off].

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »
"Not least, it requires complete commitment from coaches, who have to give up the control that comes with offensive play-calling and conventional half-court defenses."

- Sounds like it is right up Crean's alley. He is not a complete control freak who barks out more plays per second than any other coach I have ever seen. [sarcasm off].

I think the best coaches can mix up having control and just letting the kids play.

I think the Al quote goes something like "My all-Americans knew what to do with the ball. My non all-Americans knew to get the ball to the all Americans"

(forgive me if that isn't exact).

Basketball can be a very complex game... but can also be broken down simply to get the ball to your best players in their best position on the floor.

DJ is strong with the ball and has great vision... so MU needs to keep figuring out ways to get him the ball in "space" where he can advance the ball and draw a crowd. Same for McNeal.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »

I don't disagree, but isn't Crean barking out plays as a secondary offence after the inital break?  Crisco, a disseration please. 

feedback