[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2023 NFL Draft/Offseason  (Read 18376 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2023 NFL Draft/Offseason
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2023, 05:22:56 PM »
Other than Clifford and Carlson, general consensus is the Packers had a nice draft. 

Lions draft largely bashed.  Bears draft consensus is they found some starters and core special teams guys in later rounds.  Vikings draft seems pedestrian
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2023, 07:07:46 PM »
How 'bout ur new hommie, da Jets, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2023, 07:23:06 PM »
How 'bout ur new hommie, da Jets, hey?

Not a concern.  They’re not a serious franchise

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 30, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »
Other than Clifford and Carlson, general consensus is the Packers had a nice draft. 

Lions draft largely bashed.  Bears draft consensus is they found some starters and core special teams guys in later rounds.  Vikings draft seems pedestrian

I thought the Bears did very nicely to get a broad base of talent. Liked just about all of their picks -wouldnt have batted an eye if that were the Packers draft at any point.

I thought the Packers did great - did a Packers type early and then spammed the 'receiver' button throughout without reaching. Different goal than most years

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 30, 2023, 10:11:27 AM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #380 on: April 30, 2023, 10:32:32 AM »
I thought the Bears did very nicely to get a broad base of talent. Liked just about all of their picks -wouldnt have batted an eye if that were the Packers draft at any point.

I thought the Packers did great - did a Packers type early and then spammed the 'receiver' button throughout without reaching. Different goal than most years

I disagree with most people about Detroit. Gibbs upgrades both the running and the passing game. Campbell addresses a huge need on defense - stopping the run. Laporta and Branch were outstanding 2nd round picks.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 30, 2023, 10:33:54 AM »
I liked the Packers draft, van Ness at 12-1 for DROY is decent value as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2023, 11:42:47 AM »
I disagree with most people about Detroit. Gibbs upgrades both the running and the passing game. Campbell addresses a huge need on defense - stopping the run. Laporta and Branch were outstanding 2nd round picks.
If the Lions knew going in they were going  to part with Swift, Gibbs makes perfect sense.    Or, as I read elsewhere, the Lions first 5 picks were all players they could have taken at 18.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2023, 12:12:11 PM »

Most of the complaints are about their process, not necessarily the result. The result was that their first 4 picks were as strong as any in the draft.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #384 on: May 01, 2023, 12:50:53 PM »
The 2020 first round has turned out to be a bit of a dumpster fire.
Three players are out of the league for off-field issues (not including Jeff Gladney, RIP). Three more already are on their second team. And nearly as many 5th-year options (nine) have been declined as picked up (11), with many, if not most, of the undecideds looking like "nos."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2023, 01:14:12 PM »
The 2020 first round has turned out to be a bit of a dumpster fire.
Three players are out of the league for off-field issues (not including Jeff Gladney, RIP). Three more already are on their second team. And nearly as many 5th-year options (nine) have been declined as picked up (11), with many, if not most, of the undecideds looking like "nos."

How much of that do you think had to do with COVID and the limits that it put on the scouting process?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #386 on: May 01, 2023, 02:07:28 PM »

How much of that do you think had to do with COVID and the limits that it put on the scouting process?

Covid cancelled some pro days and 30 visits, but much of the process (games, combine, some workouts) for that class were completed prior to the pandemic. I think the bigger issue is how teams were dealing with the remote working environment and how that impacted their traditional draft prep a month into the pandemic. I think internal dynamics may have been more at play than external evaluations. From a scouting standpoint, I think the talent evaluation of the 21 class would have been much more difficult than the 20 class due to Covid.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2023, 06:08:36 AM »
The jets picked a Waukesha north h.s. Grad with 15 th pick out of Iowa st. 

He transferred to Waukesha north his sophomore year. He had never played the sport before.   Head football coach, Matt Harris convinced him to play.  After 2 years, Iowa st offers scholly and now he’s playing with Aaron Rodgers in the big show as a first round draft pick.

https://www.wisn.com/article/new-york-jets-pick-waukesha-north-grad-15th-in-nfl-draft/43744155
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #388 on: May 02, 2023, 07:39:13 AM »
Ratings through the roof:

https://awfulannouncing.com/ratings/nfl-draft-viewership-up-double-digits.html

And 300,000+ people attending the draft in person is why they never will be able to hold it in Green Bay.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #390 on: May 02, 2023, 01:16:42 PM »

And 300,000+ people attending the draft in person is why they never will be able to hold it in Green Bay.

Didn’t it just snow last week in GB?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #391 on: May 02, 2023, 01:22:05 PM »
Yesterday.   All spring weather seemed so far away.   UP's having a snow day.   I believe, it snowed yesterday
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #392 on: May 02, 2023, 01:27:39 PM »

Those numbers are staggering considering how many people quit watching the woke NFL just a few years ago

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2023, 01:30:02 PM »
I think Florida passed a law banning the Draft on TV.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2023, 02:04:54 PM »
All those men in weird costumes and face paint acting irrationally. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2023, 02:43:48 PM »
I think Florida passed a law banning the Draft on TV.

Cancel culture by the government?  Sad!  Next thing you’ll tell me is they’re interfering with businesses for political reasons

• All American
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
Those numbers are staggering considering how many people quit watching the woke NFL just a few years ago

And it was sponsored by Bud Light.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #397 on: May 02, 2023, 03:16:42 PM »
And it was sponsored by Bud Light.

Well, good luck to the NFL surviving this fiasco

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2023, 07:31:23 AM »
Thank God the Bears filled that glaring RB need. Final piece to the puzzle.  ::)

Strange considering the consensus is that pick was a really nice value at that point.

Foreman is signed for one more year and Herbert for two.

Johnson would have started at most DI programs if he hadn’t been backing up the best RB to come into the league in a while. Also excellent in pass protection and special teams.

It’s not like they picked a RB early and if he’s your best player on the board and it’s the 4th round that’s who you take.

The Bears were never going to fix all their problems in one offseason.  Yet they’ll still be in good shape cap-wise and have all of their picks, including first rounders, to address DE, C, and other needs next offseason.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
Strange considering the consensus is that pick was a really nice value at that point.

Foreman is signed for one more year and Herbert for two.

Johnson would have started at most DI programs if he hadn’t been backing up the best RB to come into the league in a while. Also excellent in pass protection and special teams.

It’s not like they picked a RB early and if he’s your best player on the board and it’s the 4th round that’s who you take.

The Bears were never going to fix all their problems in one offseason.  Yet they’ll still be in good shape cap-wise and have all of their picks, including first rounders, to address DE, C, and other needs next offseason.
All good points. It is painful to remember the Bears have little talent everywhere on the roster and will be lucky to win even 6 games this year. I need to trust the process.  ;)