Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OMax - Balance  (Read 3465 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
OMax - Balance
« on: February 22, 2023, 09:32:06 AM »
We all know OMax has had a rough stretch so I don't want this thread to become something where we're piling on his struggles (probably wishful thinking).  We've seen him play really well and we need him to have the kind of success this team is capable of.

With that being said, I can't recall a player hitting the floor and losing his balance as much as he does.  Not trying to make light of it but it can have a impact if he's getting back late on defense or turning the ball over. 

Assuming he's back next year, is there anything that can be done to reduce the frequency of this happening and improve balance?  Exercises?  Repetition?  Shoes?  It feels kind or ridiculous asking the question but I'm legitimately curious about it. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: OMax - Balance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 09:33:33 AM »
I’ve been hoping he pursues dance or ballet. Something to keep more in control of his body

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 09:55:03 AM »
Its hard to tell if he is really that off balance or if he is doing a little performance for a foul. It definitely helped last night on that rebound towards the end of the game.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »
He might just have poor balance.  My balance is bad too....I put a juke on someone in soccer over the weekend and wound up on the ground, looking like O-max in the first half last night.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 11:07:12 AM »
Karate is the answer.  I know a former coach who has some time on his hands who wants to reengage with Marquette. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 11:08:16 AM »
Karate is the answer.  I know a former coach who has some time on his hands who wants to reengage with Marquette.

Hot Yoga is the obvious answer.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 11:09:41 AM »
I know he's one of the 5 in MU's highest rated offense, but I honestly think anyone could be 5th in that group and the rating wouldn't change.  MU's comeback yesterday mostly occurred with him on the bench.  He cannot be trusted with the ball, and if you watch him on defense, he's never in position and often guarding no-one. 

He's becoming a liability.  The rest of the team is improving  and he is not.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
Some pretty harsh comments about a guy who's been talked about as a pro prospect, leaving early, etc.

I think it's gotten to be a habit, albeit one that needs to be broken. He was clearly late getting back on D a couple of times.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 11:22:02 AM »
I am as a big of an Omax backer as there out here and I cannot argue some points made about him. That said, there is a reason why he played 35 minutes last night and similar minutes against X. Shaka is not playing him to frustrate the fanbase. Unlike many on here, I 1000% hope Omax is back playing at MU next year. Hopefully, with better balance.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 11:24:49 AM »
I am as a big of an Omax backer as there out here and I cannot argue some points made about him. That said, there is a reason why he played 35 minutes last night and similar minutes against X. Shaka is not playing him to frustrate the fanbase. Unlike many on here, I 1000% hope Omax is back playing at MU next year. Hopefully, with better balance.

Anyone that doesn't want every guy on this squad back (I know we have to lose one) is nuts. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
Anyone that doesn't want every guy on this squad back (I know we have to lose one) is nuts.

Yeah I mean seriously.

His flalling drives me nuts. But we are not having a better option at the 4 next year.

Gonna be real interesting if the starters all run it back, how much of the bench is ok with that.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 11:37:58 AM »
I know he's one of the 5 in MU's highest rated offense, but I honestly think anyone could be 5th in that group and the rating wouldn't change.  MU's comeback yesterday mostly occurred with him on the bench.  He cannot be trusted with the ball, and if you watch him on defense, he's never in position and often guarding no-one. 

He's becoming a liability.  The rest of the team is improving  and he is not.

His offense has been a challenge as of late, but come on, he's one of the best defenders on the team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 11:40:16 AM »
Yeah, this week's "OMax is a liability" is the same as "Stevie is a liability" a couple weeks ago.  And particularly funny since his tip in is why we beat Xavier.

There is zero reason for Shaka to change up what he is doing now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 11:42:27 AM »
On offense, I think he is trying to force things too much. However, it seems quite common for him to lose a rebound he has gotten or should have gotten.

The way to solve this problem is to recruit over him.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »
Hard to fault a guy who is struggling due to ultimately trying too hard.  That's all this is.  Omax is pressing, trying too hard, and playing too sped up.  He's trying to play with the recommended "violence," but it seems Omax has gone to the extreme and it is causing balance issues.  I do think that the continually falling down comes from an expectation of thinking he will get knocked to the ground - when in reality 25-35% of the time his action would not result in falling to the ground.

Omax is a high character, wonderful kid, who has contributed some huge moments for this team.  He has been frustrating as can be the past month or so, but lets focus on all of his positives versus piling on during this time of struggle.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 11:48:22 AM »
Omax has to develop more ways to finish his drives, he gets stuck in the lane because he does not have a mid range game.  Once he develops that he will be much improved.  Some on this board think he is going pro, Justin Lewis was not drafted and I would take him everyday over Omax.  Omax drafted? No chance.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »
Omax has to develop more ways to finish his drives, he gets stuck in the lane because he does not have a mid range game.  Once he develops that he will be much improved.  Some on this board think he is going pro, Justin Lewis was not drafted and I would take him everyday over Omax.  Omax drafted? No chance.

The potential is there which is why there's discussion. But at this point, there are many, many draft eligible guys with his current skill set. Dime a dozen if you will

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 11:49:57 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/35707557/2024-nba-mock-draft-why-bronny-james-projected-top-10-pick
not according to ESPN.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 11:51:51 AM »
Omax has to develop more ways to finish his drives, he gets stuck in the lane because he does not have a mid range game.  Once he develops that he will be much improved. Some on this board think he is going pro, Justin Lewis was not drafted and I would take him everyday over Omax.  Omax drafted? No chance.

Oh for the love of God...

How many times do we need to say this? Shaka doesn't want mid-range shots. He's not developing a mid-range game anytime soon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
Oh for the love of God...

How many times do we need to say this? Shaka doesn't want mid-range shots. He's not developing a mid-range game anytime soon.

Don't tell Oso that

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 11:56:24 AM »

Completely agree. We would really miss his size and strength. His energy level and effort also shouldn't be taken for granted at his size. Yes, the balance is frustrating. In a podcast interview, Nevada Smith mentioned footwork and balance as focal points of OMax's offseason work. I thought he had improved quite a bit at times earlier in the season, but lately it seems to be a struggle again. Even with that, he is a key component and I definitely want to see him continue to play a big role on the team. I'm sure it is frustrating for him at times too, but he keeps hustling his ass off.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 11:56:32 AM »
Hard to fault a guy who is struggling due to ultimately trying too hard.  That's all this is.  Omax is pressing, trying too hard, and playing too sped up.

Agree 100%.

The game still appears to be moving too quickly for him. His over aggressiveness causes him to over pursue the play a lot and is left flailing, stumbling and scrambling to get back into position as a result. When he finds himself in position to make a play he almost seems surprised doesn’t know quite what to do.

I really do believe the game will slow down for him though and when it does, he has the potential to be a monster. It may not happen this season, but I think it’s just a matter of time.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 11:59:04 AM »
Don't tell Oso that

He doesn't have a mid-range game. He's taking a push shot from at the FT line and in.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 12:00:55 PM »
There is no doubt he is pressing and likely causing him to play even faster. At the X game the coaching staff and players spent a lot of time talking with him at halftime. Let's hope he slows down over the next six weeks.

panda

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2023, 12:03:53 PM »
He doesn't have a mid-range game. He's taking a push shot from at the FT line and in.

I won't speak for BChoopster but that's what I imagine he meant by Omax adding a "midrange" game.