collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 25850 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2024, 11:19:40 AM »
We got the VW EV this fall and I frankly love driving the thing. If we have a longer trip we'll take the good old gas car, but for getting around locally it's great. Haven't had the need to install a Level 2 charger at home yet, even with the cold snap.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2024, 11:32:24 AM »
If the Buffoon is pushin' 'em, I don't want it, aina?

🤡

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2024, 11:56:02 AM »
I've heard people get an EV for their Hertz rental but then they ran into the problem that their hotel did not have charging.  One person told me their hotel was listed as having charging, but it was like one unit and continuously occupied.   The same person said it's not an issue when I'm just visiting people around Chicago for a few days (for example) then I can get by without charging, but longer than that it becomes an issue to plan charging into the business trip.

My experience (Page 1) was that Avis wanted a return 95 percent charged. In weather like Chicago has now, it takes forever to recharge. That's why Hertz is backing away from electrics. I have had a couple of opportunities since to rent electrics and turned every one down.

For you big electric advocates, I want ask where you think the electricity to power 150 million-plus new electric vehicles will come from? Do you believe for one minute that renewables and existing generating capacity can produce this level of incremental electric power? Absent renewables, we're back to coal, gas and nuclear, all of which have major drawbacks. I just don't buy the notion that we're going to come up with THAT much incremental electrical power in the next 20 to 25 years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2024, 11:59:05 AM »
🤡

Hey, whatever happened to Ziggy Piggy? Did I miss something?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2024, 12:05:49 PM »
See, if you and Lenny are against them, I am suddenly much more interested.

Given 4qver’s Heisy-like prognostication, I’d start heavily investing in EV’s
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2024, 12:07:44 PM »
Leased a plug-in hybrid six months ago.  (BMW xDrive50e)  Installed 240v in my garage.  Really liking it.  Even during this frigid blast if I pre-condition it before I head out in the morning I get a 36 mile range (at 85% charge) which covers most of my business week (per day) driving.

And then long weekend trips no matta. 
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2024, 12:08:23 PM »
Hey, whatever happened to Ziggy Piggy? Did I miss something?

Last posted on October 2.   Last active on 12/19.   It is my opinion he got fed up and walked away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2024, 12:10:03 PM »
My experience (Page 1) was that Avis wanted a return 95 percent charged. In weather like Chicago has now, it takes forever to recharge. That's why Hertz is backing away from electrics. I have had a couple of opportunities since to rent electrics and turned every one down.

For you big electric advocates, I want ask where you think the electricity to power 150 million-plus new electric vehicles will come from? Do you believe for one minute that renewables and existing generating capacity can produce this level of incremental electric power? Absent renewables, we're back to coal, gas and nuclear, all of which have major drawbacks. I just don't buy the notion that we're going to come up with THAT much incremental electrical power in the next 20 to 25 years.

-- I made a post that fully explained the Hertz situation a bit ago. https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=64282.msg1608863#msg1608863

-- Assuming one is using a "modern" EV, it will have ability to precondition a battery before DC fast charging. Therefore, it should never take "forever" to recharge, even to 100%

-- Are there "big electric advocates" here?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 12:14:43 PM by jesmu84 »

• All American
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2024, 02:00:04 PM »
Last posted on October 2.   Last active on 12/19.   It is my opinion he got fed up and walked away.

Shame.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2024, 02:01:20 PM »
We have all felt that way.   I hope he is well.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2024, 02:44:14 PM »
If the Buffoon is pushin' 'em, I don't want it, aina?
Actually, the antisemite Elon Musk is pushing them.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NCMUFan

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2024, 04:07:52 PM »
Interesting article by Newsweek.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/with-electric-car-credits-biden-picks-green-new-deal-over-seniors-opinion/ar-AA1mOBPu

I think you mean, "Interesting opinion piece written by a former Trump advisor who recently worked on the DeSantis campaign".

If you find that sort of drivel interesting.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #263 on: January 18, 2024, 04:10:47 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/with-electric-car-credits-biden-picks-green-new-deal-over-seniors-opinion/ar-AA1mOBPu

Wow. This article is terrible.

The author wants the reader to sincerely believe that in the richest nation in the history of the planet we can't do 2 things at once?

• All American
« Reply #264 on: January 18, 2024, 04:10:58 PM »

Oy. The original WSJ article was written by Mark Merritt of the "Proactive Strategies Group."  Of course when you Google him up, you will find that he is basically a pharmeceutical lobbyist.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mark-merritt-0a16b0a0/

Regardless, the nature of his argument is ridiculous. Because both the Medicare savings and the EV are in the same bill, he is treating them as part of the same program.  Of course this doesn't make any sense. Medicare savings is good for Medicare overall.  Are the EV subsidies good? Who knows. But they aren't related programs.

In other words, stop falling for dumb narratives by an industry that was allowed to charge Medicare whatever it wanted because the federal government wasn't allowed to negotiate with them - like any other insurance company is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #265 on: January 18, 2024, 06:43:54 PM »
Actually, the antisemite Elon Musk is pushing them.

He's also a woke tree-hugger ... who disdains woke tree-huggers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2024, 07:46:15 PM »
This is our Ioniq's 2nd winter. On the weeks where we've had single digit or negative temps, we've lost 80-100 mi of range. Can survive for most daily needs and work trips to CHI suburbs but it's definitely not our road trip car and never will be

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2024, 07:56:01 PM »
This is our Ioniq's 2nd winter. On the weeks where we've had single digit or negative temps, we've lost 80-100 mi of range. Can survive for most daily needs and work trips to CHI suburbs but it's definitely not our road trip car and never will be

Ioniq 5, I assume?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2024, 08:24:04 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2024, 08:45:32 AM »
Ford cuts F-150 EV production again

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4056381-ford-cuts-lightning-production-again-shifts-resources-bronco-ranger-line

Ford (NYSE:F) continues its pivot away from electric vehicles as the carmaker said it will ramp up manufacture of its gas-powered Bronco and Ranger line and reduce production of the F-150 Lightning EV.

To accommodate the increased production, Ford (F) is adding a third crew at the Michigan assembly plant that will consist of 900 new hires and 700 employees from the Rouge EV Complex in Dearborn currently producing the F-150 Lightning.

When Lightning was announced several years back, I was really excited about its prospects. I don't need a pickup, but I still considered putting down a deposit because it looked like it was gonna be such a great product.

But it has turned out to be nothing but empty promises.

Ford had a great opportunity to own the EV truck market. No commercial-use truck driver wants the monstrosity that Musk is marketing (and also has had tons of trouble producing). Ford would have dominated, but they couldn't get their act together.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2024, 08:51:56 AM »
There is a Sheila Hamp, Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell joke in there somewhere.

Ford screwed up a number of opportunities.   The F-150, Mach-E, slow rollouts of the Bronco and Bronco Sport, not offering AWD on the Maverick hybrid.  Hampered by quality issues, bad home charging partnerships, etc.   If they had gotten those things right, they would be far ahead of the game right now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2024, 09:03:03 AM »
There is a Sheila Hamp, Brad Holmes, Dan Campbell joke in there somewhere.

Ford screwed up a number of opportunities.   The F-150, Mach-E, slow rollouts of the Bronco and Bronco Sport, not offering AWD on the Maverick hybrid.  Hampered by quality issues, bad home charging partnerships, etc.   If they had gotten those things right, they would be far ahead of the game right now.

Agreed on all points.  The Maverick was such an in-demand truck too.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2024, 09:11:19 AM »
Ford cuts F-150 EV production again

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4056381-ford-cuts-lightning-production-again-shifts-resources-bronco-ranger-line

Ford (NYSE:F) continues its pivot away from electric vehicles as the carmaker said it will ramp up manufacture of its gas-powered Bronco and Ranger line and reduce production of the F-150 Lightning EV.

To accommodate the increased production, Ford (F) is adding a third crew at the Michigan assembly plant that will consist of 900 new hires and 700 employees from the Rouge EV Complex in Dearborn currently producing the F-150 Lightning.

When Lightning was announced several years back, I was really excited about its prospects. I don't need a pickup, but I still considered putting down a deposit because it looked like it was gonna be such a great product.

But it has turned out to be nothing but empty promises.

Ford had a great opportunity to own the EV truck market. No commercial-use truck driver wants the monstrosity that Musk is marketing (and also has had tons of trouble producing). Ford would have dominated, but they couldn't get their act together.

What are/were the empty promises?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2024, 09:11:59 AM »
Agreed on all points.  The Maverick was such an in-demand truck too.

The Maverick is still and in-demand truck. They can't/won't make enough. Likely because the margins aren't as high as the 150

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2024, 09:24:37 AM »
The Maverick is still and in-demand truck. They can't/won't make enough. Likely because the margins aren't as high as the 150

Yeah, but I'm sure it'd be even more in demand with AWD.  I know there were waiting lists around here for them.

feedback