Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE COY/ National COY  (Read 3390 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: BE COY/ National COY
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 09:45:27 AM »
For those who think Sean Miller is a cheat - he was just ahead of the curve.  Everything he did is now legal.
Just like Al Capone. He was just selling some booze.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 09:47:33 AM »
Neither said nor implied by anyone, even in teal.

brew's take is reasonable, and objective. And you know it too, wades.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that's the take Seth Davis had.  At the time he wrote it, Xavier had a 1 game lead on anyone else in the Big East and had a head to head win over Marquette.  So why was that idiotic but brew's take is reasonable, and objective?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2023, 09:49:16 AM »
For those who think Sean Miller is a cheat - he was just ahead of the curve.  Everything he did is now legal.

That is...not right.  I'm pretty sure Sean Miller was allegedly paying Deandre Ayton $10K/month of his own money.  Very  much not allowed right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 09:54:45 AM »
I mean, I'm pretty sure that's the take Seth Davis had.  At the time he wrote it, Xavier had a 1 game lead on anyone else in the Big East and had a head to head win over Marquette.  So why was that idiotic but brew's take is reasonable, and objective?

Factually incorrect. Xavier was tied with Marquette and Providence when the article posted on January 30th but held the tiebreaker. However if the Big East season ended that date, Xavier, Marquette, and Providence all would've claimed a share of the title with Xavier the 1-seed, Providence the 2, and Marquette the 3.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2023, 10:00:26 AM »
Whether it goes from:
1.  Booster to Assistant Coach to Player, or
2.  Booster to Head Coach to Player, or
3.  Booster to Player.

Does the route the money takes really matter in the end?  The player gets the money which was originally offered up by the Booster.  NIL has few if any parameters to it.  Like I said, NIL allows for it above board now.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2023, 10:19:03 AM »
Well into last season, a Scooper said something about Shaka passing (or failing; I can't even remember) his first test. He had already passed numerous tests (and maybe failed a couple, too, as he learned his team), so some form of "Shaka finally passed his first test" or "when will Shaka finally pass his first test?" has become one of those Scoopisms we love.

Yes, kinda like "5 years to judge."

Ah yeah, we need that 'season checklist' thread back for this year. Shaka ticked off a lot of those boxes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2023, 10:21:51 AM »
Factually incorrect. Xavier was tied with Marquette and Providence when the article posted on January 30th but held the tiebreaker. However if the Big East season ended that date, Xavier, Marquette, and Providence all would've claimed a share of the title with Xavier the 1-seed, Providence the 2, and Marquette the 3.

Got it.  I was guessing the article wasn't entirely written minutes before it got posted.

I stand corrected.

Idiotic Seth take.

But in reality, I don't think a one game difference moves thing from an idiotic take to a reasonable, objective take.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2023, 10:48:33 AM »
STRONG words from the former Nova star on Shaka.

VIOLENCE!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2023, 12:58:39 PM »
Brew-
Great summary, pretty much agree on all points.

The bias in me thinks that Shaka should win even if MU is one game back because of greatly overshooting the expectations that the coaches themselves, or their assistants, set in the preseason.
I think you’re right though, Miller in his first season or Ed would probably win with Shaka as a close second.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Shaka win the award in that scenario though.

Who votes? The coaches?

GoldenEagles-
Who’s tweet was that?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »
The tweet is former Villanova great Allan Ray.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2023, 03:53:23 PM »
Brew-
Great summary, pretty much agree on all points.

The bias in me thinks that Shaka should win even if MU is one game back because of greatly overshooting the expectations that the coaches themselves, or their assistants, set in the preseason.
I think you’re right though, Miller in his first season or Ed would probably win with Shaka as a close second.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Shaka win the award in that scenario though.

Who votes? The coaches?

GoldenEagles-
Who’s tweet was that?

As Brew already pointed out it is Allan Ray who tweeted that about Shaka.

Pretty cool seeing former stars from the competition raving about Shaka and what he is rapidly building.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2023, 03:56:01 PM »
How can that guy see?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2023, 04:49:10 PM »
I think Creighton will win the Big East and therefore McDermott will be coach of year.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2023, 04:54:43 PM »
I think Creighton will win the Big East and therefore McDermott will be coach of year.

Doubt that Creighton will win the BE, but yeah, it's possible. I disagree with your "therefore". They were expected to do well while the BE coaches relegated MU to 9th and nat'l sportswriters did pretty much the same. Please explain why you chose to use the word therefore.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.