Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BE COY/ National COY  (Read 3391 times)

DoctorV

• All American
BE COY/ National COY
« on: February 01, 2023, 10:56:36 PM »
First, the Big East.

Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, Sean Miller.
End of list.
I can’t really see anyone else making a play.

Obviously what happens at the end of the season will play a massive roll, but imo at this moment in time Shaka should be the runaway favorite.

Even if Marquette was to not win the BE, I think our new head coach, Shaka Smart, should be a lock for BE CoY in year #2 at Marquette barring something extremely unexpected.

FU*K EM.

National Stage-
Painter, Lloyd, Oats, Tang, Shaka.

I saw some stuff about National CoY recently that didn’t include Shaka but that’s insane.
Painter is the pick at this point, and likely will win the award.
However, I think Lloyd gets often underrated and I think that Tang and Otselberger (first off list) will fall off.

I think by seasons end this becomes a 3 horse race- Matt Painter, Nate Oats, Shaka Smart.

Coach Painter runs away with it unless Purdue falters, but still a great feat for Shaka if this ends up true.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: BE COY/ National COY
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 11:34:24 PM »
Sean Miller should not be on the list.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 11:38:27 PM »
Shaka's not our "new" head coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 11:40:53 PM »
Don’t agree with either of the above 2 comments, by two good posters

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 11:45:48 PM »
Don’t agree with either of the above 2 comments, by two good posters

You think Sean Miller should be on the list?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 11:46:35 PM »
Did anyone else see the offensive set we ran in the 2nd half?  We stacked 3 guys at the free throw line, OSO looped around the back side for a lob dunk.  It looked like an 8th grade inbounds play, except we ran it from the top of the key in the half court, and it worked to perfection.

Now that's some creative stuff.  For that reason alone, Shaka should win COY.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:48:07 PM by 94Warrior »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 11:47:09 PM »
Tang is my leader for NCOY but lots of games left.

Shaka should be in the convo though
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 11:47:44 PM »
Did anyone else see the half court offensive set we ran in the 2nd half?  We stacked 3 guys at the free throw line, OSO looped around the back side for a lob dunk.  It looked like an 8th grade inbounds play, and it worked to perfection.

Now that's some creative stuff.  For that reason alone, Shaka should win COY.

That was an outstanding play. Shaka had a very strong game tonight.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 11:49:01 PM »
Tang is my leader for NCOY but lots of games left.

Shaka should be in the convo though

Tang has been great. But theres no argument for him over Painter.

Purude started unranked and they are the undisputed #1 right now. Even if I personally believe they may get upset relatively early in the big dance. Cant argue what they have done so far.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 11:51:12 PM »
You think Sean Miller should be on the list?

I mean it’s my list, so yes I do.

He’s having an amazing season in just his first year at Xavier, and they are atop the conference with Marquette.

On the National stage I don’t think he belongs, because I think Shaka usurps him and there’s only room for 1 BE guy imo.

As for the not our “new”coach, if Shaka wins BECoY in his second season at Marquette I wouldn’t bat an eye at someone saying the turnaround at Marquette is remarkable under their “new” second year coach

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 11:53:13 PM »

He’s having an amazing season in just his first year at Xavier, and they are atop the conference with Marquette.

On the National stage I don’t think he belongs, because I think Shaka usurps him and there’s only room for 1 BE guy imo.

As for the not our “new”coach, if Shaka wins BECoY in his second season at Marquette I wouldn’t bat an eye at someone saying the turnaround at Marquette is remarkable under their “new” second year coach

Ball asks what amazing coaching is Sean Miller doing?

Ball respects your answer though.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 11:58:28 PM »
Tang has been great. But theres no argument for him over Painter.

Purude started unranked and they are the undisputed #1 right now. Even if I personally believe they may get upset relatively early in the big dance. Cant argue what they have done so far.

Purdue started unranked? Kansas Started picked dead least in the Big 12!

If the season ended today, it would be Tang's IMHO. However, I think there is a bit of smoke and mirrors with K-State and  I think their final record will bring them back down to Earth. If they win the Big 12 regular season, it should be Tang's.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 11:59:20 PM »

I was just having some nitpicking fun ... but when will he stop being "new"? In Year 4 maybe?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 12:09:07 AM »
I was just having some nitpicking fun ... but when will he stop being "new"? In Year 4 maybe?

After he passes his first test  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 12:19:23 AM »
Ball asks what amazing coaching is Sean Miller doing?

Ball respects your answer though.

Ball don’t lie.

Ball suggests it’s not Miller time, and I like that

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 12:24:25 AM »
Ball don’t lie.

Ball suggests it’s not Miller time, and I like that

For those who think Sean Miller is a cheat - he was just ahead of the curve.  Everything he did is now legal.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 12:32:10 AM »

Sean Miller inherited a veteran team that won the NIT last year and was picked to finish second in the Big East. He even got two first place votes.

What Shaka and Cooley have done is much more impressive.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 06:26:02 AM »
After he passes his first test  ;D

The eye test?  Five years to judge?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 06:56:43 AM »
Purdue started unranked? Kansas Started picked dead least in the Big 12!

If the season ended today, it would be Tang's IMHO. However, I think there is a bit of smoke and mirrors with K-State and  I think their final record will bring them back down to Earth. If they win the Big 12 regular season, it should be Tang's.

Correct.

They started unranked and are now #1. Have 1 loss. Have been the most impressive team all year long.

Kstate has been great and very surprising but they are like a top 25 kenpom team. What Purdue is doing is incredible and I dont think the vote would even be close. Heck, right now theres a much better chance that Tang doesnt even get second.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 07:20:59 AM »
The eye test?  Five years to judge?

Well into last season, a Scooper said something about Shaka passing (or failing; I can't even remember) his first test. He had already passed numerous tests (and maybe failed a couple, too, as he learned his team), so some form of "Shaka finally passed his first test" or "when will Shaka finally pass his first test?" has become one of those Scoopisms we love.

Yes, kinda like "5 years to judge."

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 07:31:48 AM »
Well into last season, a Scooper said something about Shaka passing (or failing; I can't even remember) his first test. He had already passed numerous tests (and maybe failed a couple, too, as he learned his team), so some form of "Shaka finally passed his first test" or "when will Shaka finally pass his first test?" has become one of those Scoopisms we love.

Yes, kinda like "5 years to judge."

Marquette needs to win more close games to truly know if Shaka can pass a test
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 08:54:39 AM »
Marquette needs to win more close games to truly know if Shaka can pass a test
Lacks the close game winning skill
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 09:09:53 AM »
As far as BECOY, I think it goes to the outright winner if there is one. If it's a shared title, I think Shaka gets it. Here's the case for each as an outright winner:

• Shaka Smart: Picked 9th, if they win or share the title he should be the pick.
  • Sean Miller: I know he was picked higher, but a new coach winning the league in his first year is always going to be a hard narrative to avoid. If they are 16-4 and Marquette is 15-5, I think Miller gets the edge.
  • Ed Cooley: Almost completely new roster and winning a second straight title without an asterisk on it? He's also an East Coast darling, so he has a built in advantage.
  • Greg McDermott: Written off in December, if they could take the title for themselves it would be a fitting comeback story.
Nationally, I think there are a few viable candidates. Smart is one, but I would say he's second or third in the pecking order.

• Jerome Tang: Picked last in his league and some have him fighting for a 1-seed. If he wins the Big 12 and gets a 1-seed, it's hard to see how he doesn't get it.
  • Matt Painter: Unranked to start the season but with the best resume in the country to date and a clear path to the #1 overall seed.
  • Shaka Smart: Some similarities to Painter and Tang, but didn't start as low as Tang nor bring his team to the heights (so far) Painter has.
  • Close but not quite: TJ Otzelberger, Randy Bennett, Dusty May
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
As far as BECOY, I think it goes to the outright winner if there is one. If it's a shared title, I think Shaka gets it. Here's the case for each as an outright winner:

• Shaka Smart: Picked 9th, if they win or share the title he should be the pick.
  • Sean Miller: I know he was picked higher, but a new coach winning the league in his first year is always going to be a hard narrative to avoid. If they are 16-4 and Marquette is 15-5, I think Miller gets the edge.
  • Ed Cooley: Almost completely new roster and winning a second straight title without an asterisk on it? He's also an East Coast darling, so he has a built in advantage.
  • Greg McDermott: Written off in December, if they could take the title for themselves it would be a fitting comeback story.
Nationally, I think there are a few viable candidates. Smart is one, but I would say he's second or third in the pecking order.

• Jerome Tang: Picked last in his league and some have him fighting for a 1-seed. If he wins the Big 12 and gets a 1-seed, it's hard to see how he doesn't get it.
  • Matt Painter: Unranked to start the season but with the best resume in the country to date and a clear path to the #1 overall seed.
  • Shaka Smart: Some similarities to Painter and Tang, but didn't start as low as Tang nor bring his team to the heights (so far) Painter has.
  • Close but not quite: TJ Otzelberger, Randy Bennett, Dusty May

Idiotic take.  Shaka for national coach of the 2020s is already locked.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 09:37:17 AM »
Idiotic take.  Shaka for national coach of the 2020s is already locked.

Neither said nor implied by anyone, even in teal.

brew's take is reasonable, and objective. And you know it too, wades.