Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Look out for Georgetown!  (Read 3757 times)

barfolomew

• All American
Re: Look out for Georgetown!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 01:05:35 PM »
I know our team and the Winnie don't mix, but I think this year is different.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2023, 01:11:11 PM »
Georgetown is still a brand.  Honestly they and UConn (and maybe Villanova) are the only teams from the NBE that ESPN covers.  Their run through the BET in 2021 was probably the most coverage the BET has gotten since the new conference was formed. 

If DePaul had lost the same number of games or won the BET no one would have noticed, certainly not SportsCenter but for some reason Georgetown resonates. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2023, 01:14:14 PM »
Georgetown is still a brand.  Honestly they and UConn (and maybe Villanova) are the only teams from the NBE that ESPN covers.  Their run through the BET in 2021 was probably the most coverage the BET has gotten since the new conference was formed. 

If this continues for the next 5-10 years I can see a scenario where the Big East will show Georgetown the door. Remember, this is a team which hasn't sold out a home game in 10 years, and is losing season ticket holders across the board .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:15:48 PM by DFW HOYA »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2023, 01:15:05 PM »
Have relegation, like the EPL.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2023, 01:19:34 PM »

If DePaul had lost the same number of games or won the BET no one would have noticed, certainly not SportsCenter but for some reason Georgetown resonates.

I agree Lens.  They still have a national brand.  I think there is an expiration date on that but it hasn’t arrived yet.  Locally (DC) their brand is failing more than nationally as evidenced by no fans in the stadium.

Both will come back in a heartbeat with a good/great coach and a few wins.  But another tens years of failure, and that will go by quickly, and their national brand will suffer greatly. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:44:28 PM by Shooter McGavin »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2023, 01:31:50 PM »
Have relegation, like the EPL.

To where?  The A10?  Does Dayton get the yo-yo pro/reg role?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 01:46:49 PM »

We've yet to lose a game to a team quite like DePaul (though Mississippi State is about as close as we came)

... and Wisconsin
Wisconsin and Mississippi St. were very good teams when we played them. They have not progressed as the season went on.
In the same time period UConn was a great team, but they also failed to progress as the season went on.

i know most of you do not agree with me, but I still believe winning in November should not get you an NCAA bid when you falter down the stretch.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »

We've yet to lose a game to a team quite like DePaul (though Mississippi State is about as close as we came)

... and Wisconsin

Wisconsin is still 12-6 and 4-4 in the BIG.

State is sinking rapidly. The Rodents still have a shot at the NCAA.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2023, 01:49:17 PM »
Wisconsin and Mississippi St. were very good teams when we played them. They have not progressed as the season went on.
In the same time period UConn was a great team, but they also failed to progress as the season went on.

i know most of you do not agree with me, but I still believe winning in November should not get you an NCAA bid when you falter down the stretch.

Games in February should count no different than games in November. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2023, 01:58:38 PM »
To where?  The A10?  Does Dayton get the yo-yo pro/reg role?

These are easy...

Big East ----> A 10
Big Ten ----> MAC
Pac-12 ----> WCC

Not so easy...

ACC ----> Big South?
SEC ----> SoCon?
Big 12 ---> CONFUSA?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2023, 02:15:16 PM »

Wisconsin was not very good when we played them and still aren’t.  If we played them 10 times, we’d win at least 8 of them.  But we got them on a day when, as Brewcity77 pointed out on a different thread, Chucky Hepburn was pulling and making shots out of his ass.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 02:19:34 PM »
Georgetown is the Dallas Cowboys of college hoops.  Though they may be incredibly incompetent they have a following or a brand so big you can’t even comprehend. 

They warrant mention on ESPN’s ticker for everything they do.  Win or lose, they make news. 

Yes, they are a better job — it’s not a facilities situation, an alignment with the President situation or even a local fan support situation.  It’s the fact it’s a brand, a big old MF’ing brand that the entire country cares about and if they’re rolling, the place will be rocking.

Agree with you about Georgetown. The right coach will get that place going again. Tremendous history as well as a very highly regarded academic institution. They need the right guy.

The Cowboys analogy does not hold water though.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
I completely disagree.  Even at the lowest point of the Dukiet era, MU was drawing over 10k a game to the MECCA and the. 13k to the Bradley Center.  Georgetown is pulling in less than 5k per game.  That looks like apathy has set in.  That’s the worst thing that can happen to a once great program.  One would think it can be rebuilt; great school, basketball tradition, a huge NBA arena, etc.  Ewing definitely wasn’t the answer.

It could also be anger. Fans may be pissed so they're not going to games. Georgetown certainly should hope this is the case because I think it's easier to recapture angry fans than apathetic fans. That said, my daughter didn't go to many games when she was there -- and that was probably apathy. If they can get the pissed off season ticket holders back, the students may follow.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2023, 02:25:52 PM »
If this continues for the next 5-10 years I can see a scenario where the Big East will show Georgetown the door. Remember, this is a team which hasn't sold out a home game in 10 years, and is losing season ticket holders across the board .
Highly unlikely IMO. GTown has a long ways to go to match DePaul's longevity of futility, and even if they were able to achieve those depths, the Hoyas woudl be given a lot more leeway for the brand reasons discussed here.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2023, 02:42:47 PM »
If Georgetown won't pay a coach as much, won't pay assistants as much and won't invest as much capital into the program as a whole, it's not as good a coaching job as Marquette -- and many other places. No matter how good a "brand" it allegedly still is or how often ESPN shows their scores.

What are you basing this on? I've seen reports are that Georgetown pays Ewing nearly $4 million per year. Georgetown's basketball budget is reported to be more than $13.5 million (i.e., 12th highest in the country and third in the Big East behind Marquette and Villanova). Not long ago, Georgetown spent $62 million on the Thompson center -- a beautiful new athletics facility that houses the basketball program (and other athletics). They play in an NBA arena, albeit an inconveniently located one.

In short, despite many issues with the Georgetown athletics department (some of which I know first-hand), the school has demonstrated a willingness to spend money on its basketball program. If your argument is that Georgetown isn't a good coaching job because they don't spend money...you're off base. I have no doubt that some of the luster has been lost, but I'm pretty sure that Georgetown is still an attractive job and they could hire someone pretty good. Whether they will or not is an entirely different question because they're incompetent.

That said, it's not as good of a job as Marquette -- even if GU arguably has a better "brand".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:41:34 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 03:04:13 PM »

Never underestimate the power of WGN, it got a crap ton of the country rooting for the cubs.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2023, 04:33:11 PM »
R-E-L-A-X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's DePaul.

I know our team and the Winnie don't mix, but I think this year is different. We've yet to lose a game to a team quite like DePaul (though Mississippi State is about as close as we came). What's DePaul have that say UConn didn't?

Coach Shaka has the guys prepared. Plus, as we found in the Notre Dame game, Coach Shaka understands rivalries. We got this one!
Good thing you're not going
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2023, 06:16:22 PM »
What are you basing this on? I've seen reports are that Georgetown pays Ewing nearly $4 million per year. Georgetown's basketball budget is reported to be more than $13.5 million (i.e., 12th highest in the country and third in the Big East behind Marquette and Villanova). Not long ago, Georgetown spent $62 million on the Thompson center -- a beautiful new athletics facility that houses the basketball program (and other athletics). They play in an NBA arena, albeit an inconveniently located one.

In short, despite many issues with the Georgetown athletics department (some of which I know first-hand), the school has demonstrated a willingness to spend money on its basketball program. If your argument is that Georgetown isn't a good coaching job because they don't spend money...you're off base. I have no doubt that some of the luster has been lost, but I'm pretty sure that Georgetown is still an attractive job and they could hire someone pretty good. Whether they will or not is an entirely different question because they're incompetent.

That said, it's not as good of a job as Marquette -- even if GU arguably has a better "brand".

Thanks for providing those numbers. Obviously, I didn't realize they had put that much scratch into the program. I appreciate it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2023, 07:59:32 PM »
The metrics say DePaul is bad at everything.  Hopefully they are bad at everything on Saturday and it will be a 20 point win. 

Lightning could strike but our team is good enough this year that hopefully it won’t be an issue if they hit a couple shots initially.  I think they come out playing hard with a crowd size they haven’t seen all year at their place but MU will keep punching them in the mouth until their coach looks like Shaheen Holloway in the second half of last Saturday’s game.
Great take Shooter….i think this is dead on.

feedback