Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who on the current roster will see the most NBA success?

Chase
49 (32.2%)
Kam
8 (5.3%)
OMP
43 (28.3%)
Oso
36 (23.7%)
TK
3 (2%)
Jop
5 (3.3%)
The Field
8 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: Current Roster Association Success  (Read 4536 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Current Roster Association Success
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2023, 12:12:28 PM »
In order of what I think will be their NBA success:
Ross - has the size, build, athleticism, and shooting looks good.  Comp:  Butler
Gold - size, shooting... if he continues to develop will be an NBA stretch 4.  Comp:  Novak
Oso - size, athleticism, handles great for his size... needs to prove he can shoot.  Not very many undersized 4's in the NBA who can't shoot.  Lots who are good shooters.  If he doesn't develop a shot, he's Ben Simmons... point/power forward. 
Omax - size, athleticism, defense are all there.  Shooting needs work.  Best is a D&3 guy if he can reliably make 3s.  Comp:  Crowder
Kolek - Goes to the top of this list if he can take over games the way Jason Kidd could.  Remember, Kidd couldn't shoot until about year 6 or 7 of his NBA career.  If not, he has a Diener type career
Kam - release is too slow for NBA, plays below the rim.  Most of the crafty layup stuff he gets away with at NCAA level just gets swatted by NBA help defenders.  Love him at the D1 level, but professionally he's DJO (who I also enjoy tremendously) with 21 NBA minutes. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2023, 01:39:30 PM »
If not, he has a Diener type career

Hah.  5 years and ~$6M in the NBA would be great! Who wouldn't take that guarantee?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2023, 01:51:32 PM »
I said after his first game that Chase was the only one on this team that had NBA talent. I still think he has the best shot, but I now believe others have a chance to play in NBA.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2023, 01:59:51 PM »
I think many of these guys will get a cup of coffee, I don't think there's as much of an elite gap between euros & g league as there used to be. The question should probably be which guys have a shot at actually sticking long term.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2023, 02:59:59 PM »
I can’t say that I have any clue what it takes to make it to an NBA roster but to date I just have not seen what others see in Gold. He seems like a nice player but it also seems like he is just lost out there at times. I know he’s young and will develop but unless he improves by leaps and bounds I would be really surprised if he is the most successful out of this crew.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2023, 03:04:37 PM »
I can’t say that I have any clue what it takes to make it to an NBA roster but to date I just have not seen what others see in Gold. He seems like a nice player but it also seems like he is just lost out there at times. I know he’s young and will develop but unless he improves by leaps and bounds I would be really surprised if he is the most successful out of this crew.

He’s tall, can shoot, and has surprising bounce. Look at the draft the last few years.

There’s so many “Wtf, how did he get drafted?” picks because of potential/athleticism.

It’s why guys like Markus and Myles Powell were never even in the draft conversation when Paul Reed and Jay Scrubb do.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2023, 03:18:04 PM »

He's 6'11, can handle the ball (though not well enough yet), is surprisingly athletic, and is supposedly a sniper in practice (hasn't manifested in games yet). It's a lot easier to make the NBA as a near 7 footer who shoots threes. Is he good enough now? Not even close. Do I see the potential? Yep
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2023, 03:38:38 PM »
I'll co-sign with Chitown and TAMU. 6-11 with even a hint of ball handling, shooting, and athleticism is someone NBA teams will monitor.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 04:38:49 PM »
TAMU

I think Gold is going to have a great college career and make a lot of money down the road. In addition to what you stated, the two baseline dunks he has had this year showed me that he is much tougher than frame indicates. He went to the whole with big time authority. I also think he has some of the Kolek fxxk ‘em personality.

Once he becomes a sniper on a consistent basis, a whole lot of options will open up for him and the offense. Lastly, he has shot poorly and that has not taken his finger off of the trigger. Another good sign, IMO.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 04:59:52 PM »
TAMU

I think Gold is going to have a great college career and make a lot of money down the road. In addition to what you stated, the two baseline dunks he has had this year showed me that he is much tougher than frame indicates. He went to the whole with big time authority. I also think he has some of the Kolek fxxk ‘em personality.

Once he becomes a sniper on a consistent basis, a whole lot of options will open up for him and the offense. Lastly, he has shot poorly and that has not taken his finger off of the trigger. Another good sign, IMO.

Gold is shooting 50% on 3's in Big East play, albeit a small sample size of 5 for 10, but that's better than his nonconference play.  Personally, I've felt Shaka has had too quick of hook with Ben, and too long of leash with Joplin.

As others have said - 6'11" with ball-handling ability and good shooting stroke from distance and 19-20 years old?  Those guys are definitely on the radar for NBA teams.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2023, 06:20:59 AM »
Gold is shooting 50% on 3's in Big East play, albeit a small sample size of 5 for 10, but that's better than his nonconference play.  Personally, I've felt Shaka has had too quick of hook with Ben, and too long of leash with Joplin.

As others have said - 6'11" with ball-handling ability and good shooting stroke from distance and 19-20 years old?  Those guys are definitely on the radar for NBA teams.

I agree with this.  There is too short a hook with him.  Also when Ben is in the game, during the first three offensive possessions they need to get him the ball on the pick and pop.  If he drills his first shot or even just takes it with confidence give him some more rope.  He will likely play D better and be less tentative on offense if he is involved right away. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2023, 02:02:12 PM »
Best case scenario he is another Brook Lopez.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2023, 02:37:30 PM »
I agree with this.  There is too short a hook with him.  Also when Ben is in the game, during the first three offensive possessions they need to get him the ball on the pick and pop.  If he drills his first shot or even just takes it with confidence give him some more rope.  He will likely play D better and be less tentative on offense if he is involved right away.

Agree.  Ben gets pulled too fast. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »
Best case scenario he is another Brook Lopez.

He has way more bounce than Brook

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2023, 04:04:50 PM »
I am all aboard the Kiwi-mobile. I've posted multiple times about his potential. But I wouldn't say he's getting pulled too fast. Like most coaches, Shaka tightens his rotations as we get deeper in the season. Ben is the odd man out this season. It happened to Joplin last season...fast forward a year and he's one of the most utilized sixth men in the country. I think we could see a similar jump for Ben next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 04:39:06 PM »
He has way more bounce than Brook

Brook's got plenty of bounce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6R9A6EvHg0

But the two are nothing like each other.  Brook is a mammoth human being who can't be moved and is a great help defender, while offensively can play with his back to the basket, can hit the mid range Dirk type fade, and can hit the long range.  Ben is a pick and pop guy who attacks the closeout every once in a while.  He's long enough that he blocks shots when guarding the ball, but hasn't done much as a help defender like Brook.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2023, 06:23:58 PM »
I am all aboard the Kiwi-mobile. I've posted multiple times about his potential. But I wouldn't say he's getting pulled too fast. Like most coaches, Shaka tightens his rotations as we get deeper in the season. Ben is the odd man out this season. It happened to Joplin last season...fast forward a year and he's one of the most utilized sixth men in the country. I think we could see a similar jump for Ben next season.

Sorry TAMU, but if you were really a knower of ball, you'd demonstrate that you know far more about Ben Gold than our coach does.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2023, 04:44:56 AM »
Ben looks like a good kid with the potential to be a nice college player - but I just don't see how that frame transforms into the type of athlete you need to be for today's association. I know it's not a perfect comp - but I wonder if Novak gets as much time (or even a look) in today's NBA. He was a very circumstance-based player even then and foot-slow bigs just seem to be too much of a liability even if they can score.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2023, 06:25:20 AM »
Ben looks like a good kid with the potential to be a nice college player - but I just don't see how that frame transforms into the type of athlete you need to be for today's association. I know it's not a perfect comp - but I wonder if Novak gets as much time (or even a look) in today's NBA. He was a very circumstance-based player even then and foot-slow bigs just seem to be too much of a liability even if they can score.

Novak was nowhere remotely close to Ben's level of athleticism.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2023, 07:18:39 AM »
But was a billion times the shooter. Novak would’ve made much more today than he did even when he was playing not long ago. Nearly 7’ sniper shooter? Wish the Bucks had that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2023, 07:37:58 AM »
But was a billion times the shooter. Novak would’ve made much more today than he did even when he was playing not long ago. Nearly 7’ sniper shooter? Wish the Bucks had that.

Agreed, the only thing that Novak and Gold have in common is they're both tall white guys.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2023, 07:49:48 AM »
Agreed, the only thing that Novak and Gold have in common is they're both tall white guys.

And Gold probably isn’t overly concerned with yard signs
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback