Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who on the current roster will see the most NBA success?

Chase
49 (32.2%)
Kam
8 (5.3%)
OMP
43 (28.3%)
Oso
36 (23.7%)
TK
3 (2%)
Jop
5 (3.3%)
The Field
8 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 152

Author Topic: Current Roster Association Success  (Read 4535 times)

1SE

• All American
Current Roster Association Success
« on: January 23, 2023, 12:50:35 PM »
At least a half dozen guys on this team have a plausible shot at playing in the association someday. Not all of them will, and for some of them it might just be a cup of coffee, but who from this team will end up with the most NBA success?

My money is on Chase - his flashes (like on Sat) are the most high-level to me. Reminds be a bit of a young Wade...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:57:05 PM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Current Roster Association Success
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »
I think Chase is the clear cut most likely to have a sustained NBA career.

I think Oso/Omax/Kam/TK will all at least step on a court at some point.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 12:58:05 PM »
Chase looks the part but way too early to choose him as more likely to go to the NBA when you have guys like Omax and Oso on the team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 01:06:15 PM »
I will stay on the OMax train. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 01:14:47 PM »
Chase looks the part but way too early to choose him as more likely to go to the NBA when you have guys like Omax and Oso on the team.

That was my thinking.

I will stay on the OMax train. 

That also was my thinking.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 01:15:21 PM »
I think with what Kam can do on the offensive end…..there will be a place for him in the league.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 01:40:31 PM »

But that's not the question.  " who from this team will end up with the most NBA success?"

And to that, I agree with Ross.  Seems to have the height and skills to EVENTAULLY be in the NBA a while. Oso and Omax may get their first (but no guarantee either), and have some success.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 01:53:03 PM »
Went with Ross. The other guys have a chance to latch on with someone and find a good fit but I think Ross has the potential to be a first round pick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 01:57:27 PM »
With lots of our polls, we get to find out pretty quickly who was right. This one's gonna require big-time patience.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 02:05:52 PM »
This scoop poll is going right in the middle of TK’s already-crowded bulletin board.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 02:11:42 PM »
I took the field. Ben Gold has the best long term upside.

I also get a pair of athletic lottery tickets with Emarion and Keeyan.  Super longshots but they at least have the right physical gifts.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 03:37:42 PM »
Currently omax is the most likely candidate, and may go after this season.

Oso can if he extends his range to the 3 point line and mid range shot.

Chase shows flashes of being very good, and may some day see his number retired at marquette. But it's waaaay to early to predict any of that.

I love kolek, but he's going to Europe.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 03:39:58 PM »
Taking the field for Ben Gold alone

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 03:47:06 PM »
Voted Oso.  He can defend 5 positions and is still so young.  One more year of strength and conditioning and skill work - I like how he projects despite not showing a perimeter shot at this stage.

Chase and Ben Gold were choices 2 and 3.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 04:19:34 PM »
Went with Ross. The other guys have a chance to latch on with someone and find a good fit but I think Ross has the potential to be a first round pick.
You may well be right, and I don’t want to sleep on Ross. I do feel, however, that some of the reason why he has made such a quick breakthrough is that there’s so many weapons in this MU offense arsenal, to the point opposing defenses have to focus on making Kolek a shooter (and that’s failing), taking away OSO’s game (also fail), deal with OMax’s versatility, and limiting Kam’s ability to get to the rim or launch open threes (fail, fail). Ross is the beneficiary of all this chaos produced. The real test will be when at least two of our mainstays move on. That said, he’s a winner and extremely talented in his own right. Another gem uncovered by Shaka.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 05:51:30 PM »
Currently omax is the most likely candidate, and may go after this season.

Oso can if he extends his range to the 3 point line and mid range shot.

Chase shows flashes of being very good, and may some day see his number retired at marquette. But it's waaaay to early to predict any of that.

I love kolek, but he's going to Europe.

Kolek is gonna play in Europe for a LONG time.  He reminds me of a slightly smaller Nick Calathes.

Omax has made great strides but I don't think he's anywhere near leaving yet.  Maybe after next year unless its DJ Carton planning to develop further in the G League style

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »
O-Max reminds me of Jerami Grant when he was at Syracuse. Long, athletic wing who does a little bit of everything.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 06:17:05 PM »
It's Chase for me. He has the athleticism, the defensive instincts, and the pop you can't teach. Also has the confidence and shooting (which can still improve but is already noticeably better). He's a pro.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 06:26:09 PM »
Taking the field for Ben Gold alone

I think Chase is the right answer but Ben should be one of the options.  I put his NBA potential at third behind Ross and OMax
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »
Does anyone need me to start the HOF thread?

Also, Chase is my choice. Although I could see OMax getting some time with an improved 3P%.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2023, 07:51:06 PM »
For one guy having a long NBA career, I would go with Gold. I know I am in the minority, but it sure looks like he checks a lot of boxes for having a very successful career.

Ross sure is looking good and it looks like he has a lot of upside in his game. He is going to be a lot of fun to watch and see how far he goes.

Good news, they might 4-5 guys that get a chance in the NBA down the road. An exciting time to be a MU fan.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2023, 08:55:15 PM »
For one guy having a long NBA career, I would go with Gold. I know I am in the minority, but it sure looks like he checks a lot of boxes for having a very successful career.

You may be alone in that minority.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2023, 09:27:25 PM »
This is truly a difficult question.  When I look at NBA potential (outside of the obvious like size) I focus on how these guys accelerate and score/create off the dribble, can they defend multiple positions, and whether they can shoot from distance.

I wouldn't overlook Kam in this discussion because I think he can improve aa a creator off the bounce. He has good size and is the most natural scorer on our roster. 

Oso is the most intriguing candidate. His passing and ball-handling are tremendous assets.  Can he develop a face up game and extend ir to the 3pt line?  Defensively I think he's our best pro prospect.

OMax seems to be a bit small for his overall skill-set but at the same time can get up and down tbe floor and excel in the transition game.  That said I think he could struggle a bit in NBA iso ball and attacking off the bounce at that level.

Ross to me has the potential to be the entire package and I love his overall poise at such a young age.  I believe he can be an elite defender and certainly has the athleticism to make it to the next level.  He also can be a multidimensional scorer.  His passing and running the high pick and roll is what I would like to see him add to his arsenal.

Lastly, I would not sleep on Gold.  He has a solid stroke  and moves very well for a big man.   He's nowhere near his potential right now and will get much stronger and more comfortable in general.  It would not surprise me if he develops into a prototypical pick and pop stretch 4.

If I had to pick one I think I'd lean Chaee Ross but again this is unusually difficult to figure out. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:30:21 PM by MuggsyB »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:08 AM »
I think Chase is the right answer but Ben should be one of the options.  I put his NBA potential at third behind Ross and OMax

Like the others who picked it I wanted to leave a little juice for the field - thought about leaving TK for the field too but didn't want to end up with a bullseye on the bulletin board.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2023, 12:08:57 PM »
It's a difficult question because none of them are sure fire picks to stick in the NBA at all.  At this point they all have things that will keep them from being pros, which is why the answer might be Chase, because he has more time than most to develop and fill in those holes.  We have a lot of guys who could get there, but who all need work to get there.

OMax has the length, athleticism, and ability to defend multiple positions.  He'll need to develop his jumper and become more than a straight line driver.
Oso has just just about everything, but hasn't shown he can score from outside 5 feet and isn't a strong rebounder for an interior player.
Kolek is an awesome college player and controls the floor, but his lack of scoring and athleticism make it hard for him to get to the NBA.
Chase has the athleticism and plays very under control, but we'll need to see what he can become when his usage goes up.
Gold has the height and has some promising offensive skills, but he's got a long way to go in terms of athleticism and strength.
Kam is by far the most complete scorer on the team, but he's not overly athletic and needs to develop his playmaking for others to play in the NBA at his size.

If the wins keep coming and the style of play continues to be this fun, someday we'll have players that we have zero doubt will stick in the NBA.

If I had to pick one, I'd say Kam.  If Oso were to develop a perimeter jumper then it's him by a wide margin.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 12:11:24 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback