Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ellis recovery?  (Read 5445 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Ellis recovery?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2023, 07:10:24 PM »
Four years at Marquette will always be cherished.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 07:13:55 PM »
To be fair - they play different positions so height difference between the two is irrelevant. Omax more height appropriate for his position at the next level, but vander was grossly undersized. Lack of shooting held him back.

So the height difference is irrelevant but Vander was grossly undersized? I don’t follow.

O-Max’s height gives him a shot that Vander never had.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

panda

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2023, 07:17:02 PM »
So the height difference is irrelevant but Vander was grossly undersized? I don’t follow.

O-Max’s height gives him a shot that Vander never had.

*wasnt - my mistake.

Vander is 6’5 which is normal for a guard. Omax is 6’8 which is normal for a forward. Guess I don’t really understand why comparing their heights is relevant .

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 07:21:47 PM »
You're saying that because he had a bad game.

Lol, no. He’s not nearly talented enough to get minutes in the nba. Not big enough to play on the front court and not talented enough ball handler to play the 2/3.

Don’t get me wrong, Omax is a great BBall player. I think he’ll play some in the nba. But he’s not getting drafted after this season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2023, 08:01:03 PM »
IF everyone returns next season. Sprinkle in the freshmen reinforcements. A preseason top 10 ranking, imo.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2023, 08:15:28 PM »
That is why I don't think Keeyan is leaving.  I think he is the 4th most likely to leave.  Maybe 5th.
Who are your top 5?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 08:34:30 PM »
Who are your top 5?

Depends who writes the letter.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 09:01:55 PM »
Last season Nevada Smith said he was "the best athlete maybe in college basketball. He should be in the decathlon." With Keeyan's athletic gifts I have to imagine he could eventually be a very competitive track & field athlete, even if he's never formally competed before. MU has previously had both men's and women's soccer players as well as a volleyball player convert to T&F.

Any chance of a Wally Ellenson type situation, i.e. becoming a T&F scholarship athlete (competing in select meets) and transitioning to a basketball walk-on?

Of course this would have to be something mutually agreeable to all parties.

You have the wallu situation backwards. He was a scholarship basketball player and a track and field walk on. What you're describing is a ncaa violation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 09:11:38 PM »
Last season Nevada Smith said he was "the best athlete maybe in college basketball. He should be in the decathlon." With Keeyan's athletic gifts I have to imagine he could eventually be a very competitive track & field athlete, even if he's never formally competed before. MU has previously had both men's and women's soccer players as well as a volleyball player convert to T&F.

Any chance of a Wally Ellenson type situation, i.e. becoming a T&F scholarship athlete (competing in select meets) and transitioning to a basketball walk-on?

Of course this would have to be something mutually agreeable to all parties.

Shaka could adopt Keeyan....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 05:25:46 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2023, 05:38:24 AM »
G league salary is 40K, he will do better at MU with no expenses.

What about the Euro League? He can make decent money there.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2023, 09:25:34 AM »
What about the Euro League? He can make decent money there.

Maybe so, but if the NBA is his goal then heading to Euro League doesn't do him better than College would for exposure.

He was part of the NBA Global Academy so I assume the NBA is what he is working towards but that is just a guess.
VIOLENCE!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 11:41:50 AM »
G league salary is 40K, he will do better at MU with no expenses.

and a two-way deal is $500K

https://www.blazersedge.com/2022/6/18/23173926/nba-two-way-contracts-rules-salary-2022-23-nba-season

"The system benefits undrafted players, who get a chance at a substantial salary and team affiliation above and beyond G League norms."

OMax is basically a perfect fit for the 2-way, all upside nearly no downside for the team

This is what Justin got after going undrafted, pretty good consolation prize

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 11:49:54 AM »
So could ellis be as tall as 6'6 then?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 12:10:07 PM »

This is what Justin got after going undrafted, pretty good consolation prize

Except he’s not on a two way deal
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2023, 12:42:05 PM »
OMax isn't on any draft boards.  He is a draft prospect however.

Each player is going to make their OWN decision, but don't think he didn't see what happened to Justin last year.

He'll for sure go through the process.

Justin signed a two way with the Bulls within minutes of the draft ending.  In today's modern NBA that's a draft night success story.  Justin the success story, not some cautionary tale.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »
Wasn't Justin cut from his two way after his ACL injury? I'd call that cautionary....

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2023, 01:52:45 PM »
Wasn't Justin cut from his two way after his ACL injury? I'd call that cautionary....

I don't subscribe to the belief that more time in college moves guys up the draft board, especially nowadays when so much is based on potential.  Many 2nd rounders get two-ways anyways.  Injuries are always a risk but Justin accomplished his goal, a team secured his rights on draft night.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2023, 02:16:19 PM »
Except he’s not on a two way deal

yes thank you he was released after tearing his ACL. Was still signed to one prior to a catastrophic injury. What I'm saying is two-way deals are much better options nowadays than a $40k G-league salary which a lot of people think is the only option besides Europe if you don't get drafted.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
I don't subscribe to the belief that more time in college moves guys up the draft board, especially nowadays when so much is based on potential.  Many 2nd rounders get two-ways anyways.  Injuries are always a risk but Justin accomplished his goal, a team secured his rights on draft night.
i think you are mostly right about staying in college does not move you up the draft board. However, I think it makes it more likely you are going to play in NBA. Players like Sam Hauser and Markus Howard were never going to get drafted, but staying four years help them get into the NBA. I think this is where Oso and Omax fall. They are not going to get drafted no matter when they leave, but will get time in NBA, if they continue to work on their games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2023, 02:59:45 PM »
Staying in college can definitely move you up the draft board.  Jaden Ivey, Bennedict Mathurin, Ochai Agbaji could've been 2nd round draft picks in 2021 that came back and were lottery picks in 2022.  There are a number of players every year that jump up the board by staying in school when they were projected to be 2nd round picks.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2023, 04:20:32 PM »
Is Ellis fully recovered and is he 6'6" now?