[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: David Joplin  (Read 6523 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: David Joplin
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2023, 02:27:27 PM »
He shoots it from 3 better than anyone on the team percentage wise.

He adds size to a small team.

His defense is improving.

His ability to attack the rim is improving.

O-Max had similar struggles off the dribble last year...Joplin needs to make that jump over the summer.  If O-Max isn't back next year...Joplin becomes extremely important.  He doesn't have great lift or quickness...he plays like a Carmelo Anthony type player.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:48:50 PM by avid1010 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 05:37:23 PM »
I've been impressed with Jops Defense the past few games. He's still not a great defend but there's been noticeable improvement on that end
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2023, 06:05:18 PM »
He shoots it from 3 better than anyone on the team percentage wise.

He adds size to a small team.

His defense is improving.

His ability to attack the rim is improving.

O-Max had similar struggles off the dribble last year...Joplin needs to make that jump over the summer.  If O-Max isn't back next year...Joplin becomes extremely important.  He doesn't have great lift or quickness...he plays like a Carmelo Anthony type player.

Marquette is not a small team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 08:56:50 PM »
Marquette is not a small team.

We're not small for a D1 team. We are small for a high major team, especially if you consider girth in addition to height
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2023, 09:24:21 PM »
This conversation is hilarious.. because despite shooting 2-10 against Seton Hall. That was probably the best Joplin played since baylor?

He was so putrid to start big east play, but he gets criticism for his first positive contributing game in a long time because he played well on defense.

Do i think his overall defense has improved at all taking the whole season into account, no not really. But him playing above average in defense for once gives me hope. He had a one game RAPM defense rating of -12.7 (lower the better) and the best on the team.

Seton Hall had 0.484 PPP with him on the court. Which is hilarious

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2023, 09:52:09 PM »
Feels like he's of two minds a lot on the offensive end. Early in the year when he was really shooting it well, there was no flinch. Now, he's hesitant or passing them up completely to go one one of those meandering drives to the basket. And those are usually an adventure.

That end shot clock three... The decision was taken out of his hands. He just had to shoot. This week in practice I'd sure like Shaka to turn him back into a shooter. That's where he'll help most.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 10:13:39 PM »
Feels like he's of two minds a lot on the offensive end. Early in the year when he was really shooting it well, there was no flinch. Now, he's hesitant or passing them up completely to go one one of those meandering drives to the basket. And those are usually an adventure.

That end shot clock three... The decision was taken out of his hands. He just had to shoot. This week in practice I'd sure like Shaka to turn him back into a shooter. That's where he'll help most.

Think you hit the nail on the head here.  Great observation. I would add that our Offensive strategy of 3's or shots at the rim probably isn't the best for Jop.  I feel he'd be more effective scoring in the mid-range than trying to get all the way to the basket at this stage of his development/athleticism.

If he gets run off the three he'd be best served by taking 1 or 2 dribbles into a midrange pullup.  But, that's not our offense/code.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 11:08:42 PM »
He shot poorly yesterday and had turnover issues, but despite that I thought he’d did some good things. His drive and dish to Oso was exactly the play that he needs to be able to make and he did it perfectly. I also thought he was very active defensively and had his best game of the year on that end, surprised in looking at the box score that he didn’t have more steals. He’s improving.
I had the same impression yesterday. Seems like things  clicked or slowed down for him like it did for Kam against Baylor. He didn’t  have a great day shooting personally, but made good decisions and played good defense. If he keeps playing this way but shoots a little better the sky’s the limit.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2023, 10:12:41 PM »
David Joplin was +14 today and only took 1 shot.

That is growth from Jop.  Just wanted to shout him out as someone who will get lost in the shuffle of today's game.
VIOLENCE!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2023, 10:13:42 PM »
David Joplin was +14 today and only took 1 shot.

That is growth from Jop.  Just wanted to shout him out as someone who will get lost in the shuffle of today's game.

I thought both him and Sean Jones had great minutes that won’t show up in the box score.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2023, 10:13:52 PM »
Thought Jop's minutes at the 4 guarding Kalkbrenner were important minutes tonight. He's not the most athletic but he has the potential to get hot on offense and be serviceable on defense in the right role.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2023, 10:16:53 PM »
+/- is not a great stat, but he played well defensively when he needed to.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2023, 10:31:10 PM »
Thought this was his best defensive effort of the season. Awesome to see him contribute in other ways
No Finish Line

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2023, 10:42:17 PM »
I thought both him and Sean Jones had great minutes that won’t show up in the box score.

Great comment.  Both were a factor in the win but it won show up in the box score.  They played with the violence that Shaka preaches.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2023, 09:58:50 AM »
Amazing defensive effort, minus him trying to go for the steal and leaving Trey Alexander, their best shooter, with an open 3 when we are up 2.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2023, 10:04:14 AM »
His rebounding is greatly improved (team rebounding greatly improved the past month as well) his work ethic and defensive awareness is totally different. He's a great asset for this team coming off the bench.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2023, 10:19:08 AM »
Guys develop at different paces. I would not be surprised if Jop takes a big leap between this year and next.

Trying not to look ahead too far, but if all of the pieces remain in place next year, this team is scary good, and probably our best chance for a title since 1977. 2003 was a great year, and D Wade was an all time great, but as a team I think this group has even more potential.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 10:27:24 AM »

Agree. So did O-max on defense. I know people hate the flailing, but dude was a force on defense today.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 11:47:47 AM »
And I think he opened up the floor on offense with his potential. Seems a lot more open spaces when he was in there.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 12:39:10 PM »

Agree. So did O-max on defense. I know people hate the flailing, but dude was a force on defense today.
I don't think we watched the same game.  about 50% of Creighton's buckets were on OMAX missed assignments or because he was out of position or was guarding no-one at that particular point in time. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

panda

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2023, 12:47:18 PM »
I don't think we watched the same game.  about 50% of Creighton's buckets were on OMAX missed assignments or because he was out of position or was guarding no-one at that particular point in time.

He’s really struggled on back side help defense. Last night was a bit better but Xavier game he lost his man or didn’t rotate way too often.

On ball defense is really solid though.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2023, 12:53:49 PM »
He’s really struggled on back side help defense. Last night was a bit better but Xavier game he lost his man or didn’t rotate way too often.

On ball defense is really solid though.

I thougth he closed out really well last night after the misses in the X game. There was some "oh god they're wide open" shots that he completely disrupted and moved them off the line. Maybe I was fixated on that and missed some other things, but felt he was closing pretty well.

panda

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2023, 12:56:40 PM »
I thougth he closed out really well last night after the misses in the X game. There was some "oh god they're wide open" shots that he completely disrupted and moved them off the line. Maybe I was fixated on that and missed some other things, but felt he was closing pretty well.
Agree - length helps him a ton with that. We’re talking about two separate things defensively with him. On ball activity is always solid for him imo

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2023, 12:59:13 PM »
Agree - length helps him a ton with that. We’re talking about two separate things defensively with him. On ball activity is always solid for him imo

I see what you're saying. Agree on the on-ball for sure. What's becoming fun is this defense is nowhere near it's ceiling...and it's still pretty darn good. The metrics may not love it, but the team can really clamp for 10 minute stretches like last night.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2023, 01:06:06 PM »
I've been impressed with Jops Defense the past few games. He's still not a great defend but there's been noticeable improvement on that end

Jop and Kam are similar. Neither is a great defender, but both have bought in to playing hard on the defensive end.