[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: David Joplin  (Read 6521 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
David Joplin
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »
The one player who frustrates me the most is Joplin. He obviously can be a very good player - and, at times, he is. But, he has two traits that really frustrate me. First, his ball handling is poor. It scares me to death when he starts dribbling because it ends badly way too often. Second, the ball tends to stop when it gets to him. He wants to score and sometimes just puts his head down and tries to bull his way to the basket. That usually ends badly too. If he can improve his ball handling and change is "shoot first" mindset, he can be a really, really good player.

Milkshakes

• All American
Re: David Joplin
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 11:21:00 AM »
Second, the ball tends to stop when it gets to him. He wants to score and sometimes just puts his head down and tries to bull his way to the basket.

Joplin did not take the leap I expected. That said, I am still a fan and think he will get there. Your point above is the area where he needs to grow, in my opinion. He makes up his mind he is doing something and then sticks to it even when it isn’t going to work.  He needs to see the floor better and be seeing two or three options all the time not just one. He will get there. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 11:21:51 AM »
rgoode

I will say it again, if Joplin is our biggest frustration, we have a good thing going.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
He shot poorly yesterday and had turnover issues, but despite that I thought he’d did some good things. His drive and dish to Oso was exactly the play that he needs to be able to make and he did it perfectly. I also thought he was very active defensively and had his best game of the year on that end, surprised in looking at the box score that he didn’t have more steals. He’s improving.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 11:28:28 AM »
I think has a very high upside and I thought I heard last night he has the highest 3 point average on the team.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 11:30:00 AM »
Goose is correct, and , other than rebounding, Joplin is my only frustration. And, I agree that he seems to be improving defensively.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 11:30:16 AM »
Yes, MU's 6th man who sees his role as instant offense has a tendency to stop the ball movement and force shots.   Accept that he is a conscience-free gunner and move on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »
I have been consistently complaining about him... However yesterday was his best defensive game in a long time. I acknowledge SH doesn't have the offensive talent to take advantage of him. But that side of the ball is all that matters with him and his success.

Go from the worst defender on the team to an average one and he'll be okay. Maybe a little too high usage, but he'll be a positive contributor.

Part of it is the rest of the team is so good that he and 2 of the freshmen, sometimes stick out like a sore thumb.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 11:33:08 AM »
The one player who frustrates me the most is Joplin. He obviously can be a very good player - and, at times, he is. But, he has two traits that really frustrate me. First, his ball handling is poor. It scares me to death when he starts dribbling because it ends badly way too often. Second, the ball tends to stop when it gets to him. He wants to score and sometimes just puts his head down and tries to bull his way to the basket. That usually ends badly too. If he can improve his ball handling and change is "shoot first" mindset, he can be a really, really good player.

He's also moving toward that last sentence. Lots of improvement over past 2.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 11:42:14 AM »
Yes, MU's 6th man who sees his role as instant offense has a tendency to stop the ball movement and force shots.   Accept that he is a conscience-free gunner and move on.

Shaka has him taking over the Wrightsil role.  Work in progress on the interior (my comp is Lazar his first few years but Jop is a better perimeter player).

Btw, many of his interior plays are called ISO's to at least threaten the paint. He needs to kick it out though more often.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2023, 11:54:49 AM »
Joplin hasn’t taken as big a leap as the other returning players, but he still needs to play a major role on this team and has a sky high ceiling longer-term. I think the consternation about his play from scoopers is overwrought.

There are two main issues with his game right now: defense and ballhandling. He’s a below average defensive player on this team, but to my eyes he’s made incremental improvement throughout the season. He’s made impact defensive plays every game recently, including yesterday’s block and typically one or two anticipated steals. Most importantly, he generally brings the energy and focus Shaka is looking for on that end of the floor. I can live with that.

His propensity to turn the ball over while driving stands in stark contrast to the other (elite) ball handlers on this team. It was clear that 10-12 games ago Shaka and the team challenged him to start getting to the rim more often. The results haven’t been pretty, but I think we’ve seen incremental improvement there too, perhaps saving yesterday. Otherwise offensively, we we’re getting an elite shooter at 6’7”. That’s extremely valuable.

I think Shaka’s stated goal for MU to grow as much as any team in the country this season is really important as it pertains to Joplin. Of course we want to be maximizing our chances to win every game. That means guys who are showing out like Chase Ross demand more minutes. But even as we creep toward February, we can’t lose sight of the importance of players getting an opportunity to improve, especially on such a young team. Every time Jop takes it to the rim, that’s one more rep in the experience bank. One more rep closer to his potential. And even if those reps might not help the team win a game in January, they might in March. And they certainly will in 2024.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 12:10:20 PM by TwoWords »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 11:55:50 AM »
Right about the ball tends to stop when it gets to him and shoot first mentality. It does appear that he has the green light from Shaka on this. We shall see how that develops going forward.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 12:03:00 PM »
To my eyes, Joplin defends better when guarding a big player in the paint than guarding a quicker player in space.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 12:11:50 PM »
Nice post two words, even though that was substantially more than two words.
Several other nice posts in this one as well.

Rgoode is right that Jop can be frustrating at times, more-so than others on this years team, and I often catch myself yelling for Shaka to give him a bench break.

That said, as y’all have already noted, a lot of that needs context.

In comparison to several of the extremely impressive ball handlers on this years team he’s a very poor ball handler, it makes him look worse since few others make mistakes. In comparison to many on past teams he’s probably average or even better than some guys in his size range.

His main purpose and skill is scoring, and making 3s. His big role this year will be a spark off the bench ala Novak his freshman season, when the rubber inevitably meets the road in an elimination game and Marquette is in dire need of some buckets.
Jop will have to be there, at the right time, and if he’s not there when he’s needed at that time, aka he can’t hit those tough shots, Marquette may very well lose and it’s season may end.

I think Shaka knows that. It seems like he’s pushing David a lot and giving him minutes, letting him play through mistakes to try to get better and more prepared for the late grind when the team needs him.

I’ve also seen defensive improvement, incremental but he’s shown some flashes- that block yesterday was a great EGB.
I like that at times he seems to rebound well- he had 4 yesterday and has had 4/5 in several conference games.
You might say big whoop, but when OMax is getting 1-2 boards on 10+ more minutes the 4-5 Jop gets seen valuable.

One change I’d like to see-
Seems like the staff wants him to iso and get inside to score. I’m fine with that as he’s seemed capable, if not consistent.
What I’d like to see more offensively is Jop running and moving more without the ball, off screens, in an attempt to cause more chaos and to make his defender have to defend him away from the basket allowing more lane space for the others.
Even though he isn’t very quick, I think more movement off screens and catch and shoot 3s from him would really benefit the already #1 offense in the land, especially at a time when they’ve gone on a bit of a drought.

Keep getting strong and hitting the glass, don’t get beat badly on defense and keep the defensive energy intensity, and give the team huge buckets like he’s done all year, especially big 3s, and he will have a huge importance in March.

As for his future, I’m not sure, I’m not there yet. I do think a few strong games in March could catapult him for next season however.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 12:15:34 PM »
He's a ball-stopper and he makes some mistakes.

He also made a fantastic shot-clock buzzer beater that definitely deflated SH and brought me out of my seat.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 12:26:14 PM »
To my eyes, Joplin defends better when guarding a big player in the paint than guarding a quicker player in space.

This. He's stout but not sudden. The bigger frustration for me is his offense is not a plus to the team play in and play out. When he's not scoring, he's not adding

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 01:00:01 PM »
David's in season improvement is obvious. His defense is much better. Early on, he seemed completely disinterested. Now there's effort and active hands. Offensively, he looks to pass. Not all the time, but he had a really nice assist yesterday and another play where he drove in and kicked it out instead of trying to score. That wouldn't have happened in November.

Like goose said, if David is the biggest problem, we're in a good place.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 01:04:08 PM »
After watching David for a year and a half, I think his best game is as a catch and shoot jump shooter. Maybe a little more drive and kick action from Tyler and Kam will get him some good looks and get him going. When he gets to square up and step into a shot, he's good. When he has to or decides to put the ball on the floor, then not so much.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2023, 01:11:54 PM »
He's averaging double digits off the bench.

I'm critical of him at times because I think he has another level, but you don't score double digits off the bench for a Top 10ish team by accident. He's really good at what they need him to be good at (scoring) and anything else he gives is a bonus right now.  I think over time he will be reliable defensively in spurts, but growth takes time.  See Oso for example.  Jop will be alright.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2023, 01:17:24 PM »
I have said earlier and I will say it again.   I look for Joplin to have the same kind of a ha moment that Kam had earlier this year.    The one where he realizes that he can get all of the looks he wants in the framework of the offense without forcing 'degree of difficulty' shots.   When that light comes on,   ;D

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2023, 01:18:58 PM »
I’m looking at joplin through the same lense I’d evaluate a bouncy big transitioning from high school where he used his height/athleticism to dominate.

Jop was such a good shooter at the HS/AAU level that the he could simply rely on shooting over and powering through smaller weaker opponents. Moving up a level, those easy buckets he could rely on are no longer available. His decision making at this level needs a lot of work, but he’s going to be a high level college player once the game slows down for him a bit. His defense is quickly improving and he’s turned himself into a more than capable rebounder.

He’s a frustrating player now because everyone who knows ball can see the potential he has. Simply needs to improve his decision making on the bounce.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2023, 01:37:44 PM »
Joplin did not take the leap I expected. That said, I am still a fan and think he will get there. Your point above is the area where he needs to grow, in my opinion. He makes up his mind he is doing something and then sticks to it even when it isn’t going to work.  He needs to see the floor better and be seeing two or three options all the time not just one. He will get there.

Joplin has an issue with ball handling/turnovers, but per 36 minutes, he is in the top two scorers and rebounders on the team.

IMO, he has taken a very big leap.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2023, 01:38:20 PM »
Agree with earlier posts that he had a great defensive game and he's improving in that regard.

I get the dribbling concers but the real issue is that he is a below the rim player. When he takes it to the hoop he is going against better athletes so needs to get wily like Kam does around the rim. Kam does for lack of size, Jop needs to because of quickness/jumping.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2023, 01:47:46 PM »
The Jop flake is getting kinda annoying.

His D yesterday was probably the best its been
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2023, 01:54:19 PM »
The Jop flake is getting kinda annoying.

His D yesterday was probably the best its been

Pretty darn good! There was a point I even said I'd rather have him out there for the remainder of the game in favor of OMax.  OMax goes through stretches where he looks lost. Yesterday Jop was great in covering that up.
VIOLENCE!

feedback